ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The whole world will realise the importance of Bibek one day

Posted by akaal74 
Recently daas was having a conversation with a relative about the concept of Bibek. She was talking from the angle of equating this to Brahmanism. We had a very good discussion and in the end she agreed that the concept of Bibek was a gurmat asool and nowhere similar to the Brahmin’s concept of sucham. One of the things which daas mentioned during this discussion was the foresightedness of our Gurdev pita ji who gave us each and every rehat knowing the advantages of the rehat. Look at the tobacco that whole world now knows causes cancer. A rehatvaan Sikh is saved by Guru sahib from AIDS and all other issues the world is facing. Similarly if we look at the concept of bibek it not only signifies the spiritual aspect of impact of food cooked by rehatvaan singhs but also a lot of hygiene and food related issues the world is facing today.

At our local Gurdwara sahib, we have caught a number of members in the sangat who were either involved in cooking the langar or distributing it with pack of cigarettes in their pocket. Why this happened is very clear. As there are no rules in the gurdwara sahib kitchen about who can cook the langar, its free for all. Any kind of people can come and partake in the seva. Similarly while eating from out you can never be 100% sure about hygiene or anything else no matter how popular or 5/7/9 star the facility is.

In today’s world even if a person was to ignore the spiritual benefits of Bibeki food, from a hygiene perspective also Bibek is the answer. If you still believe otherwise please read the following news and tell me will you enjoy the food cooked by such person?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-19834975
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Thank you Veer Ji for posting this reminder for Bibek. It is cleanliness also. It is surprising that some smokers, do langar sewa.
What this forum says about maryada of langar in amritsar sahib.
At work someone asked me to eat from the restaurant. I politely said "no thanks - I don't eat out." The person some very intrigued and we sat down and began talking. They asked "Please explain what you eat and your way of life... I am very interested".

I explained, "Sikhs do not eat fish, eggs or meat." He asked, "Why is that?" I replied, "The Guru has taught us to eat those foods which helps us to meditate and make our mind spiritually strong - meat, egg and fish are considered negative foods which negatively affects our spiritually and mind. For this reason we do not eat fish, eggs or meat."

He then asked, "So what is spiritual food?" "We eat anything which is natural or pure. Food becomes spiritual by when you cook you think of God or chant Waheguru when cooking."

"So is that what you do?" he said. I replied, "I try and cook my own food and eat food which has been spiritually blessed...in my mind I try to think of Waheguru or chant Waheguru or some prayers when cooking. Through eating food which has been cooked in this way, the food gets spiritual vibrations and not only nourishes the body but has a positive influence on the mind and builds positive energy in the person."

By the end of the conversation, the person (who doesn't believe or follow religion) said, "That's really awesome. Please give me some vegetarian recipes of the food you cook at home. I want to try what you have told me - I want to chant Waheguru and cook food one day."

Dhan Hai Guru, Dhan Hai Teree Sikhee
Beautiful post Manvir Jee - those are the kind of response that will wake up people -

"Jessaa aun tessaa munn"
VJKK VJKF,

Akaal74 Jeeo,

A Q&A writeup of your conversation with your relative would be most interesting and helpful...

VJKF
Beautiful, Bhai Manvir Singh jeeo. Keep us posted if this gentleman progresses Gurmat-wise.

Kulbir Singh
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login