ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Living in the world

Posted by MaiKoNaRakhanda 
Living in the world
October 03, 2012 03:18AM
Recently I have been feeling like I don't enjoy anything but Guru Sahib di sangat, i.e. bani, simran and satsangat, and am finding living in this world more and more excruciating. I am in training for a job at the moment, though I don't feel up to any career, I cannot stand being in this world and doing anything but naam. I cannot do sangat with anyone but gursikhs. All of these worldly things are seeming more and more difficult to my mind. There was once a time I loved all worldly things, but now I cannot stand them.

Please advise as to how Gursikhs are able to survive being in this world, especially working life.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Living in the world
October 03, 2012 07:36AM
Once Professor Pooran Singh jee came to Bhai Vir Singh and expressed similar views as you have in this post. Bhai Vir Singh asked him how much spare time he had on hand and if he was utilizing all the spare time on pure Bhagti. After taking out 5 hours of sleep and 7-8 hours of work, we all are left with about 12 hours to utilize on Bhagti alone. Even while working we can continue to do Naam Simran.

Sardar Raghbir Singh Bir jee has written that when a Seeker starts out doing Bhagti and gives priority to Bhagti over worldly tasks, then as his Bhagti time increases, Vaheguru slowly releases him from worldly tasks.

If you quit work and all of sudden have 18-19 hours on hand to do Bhagti but are not able to utilize all these hours on Bhagti, then the idle hours will cause Bikaars (evil tendencies) within you. At this time, the best option is to do lead life as - Hath Kaar val, Chit Yaar val (hands doing worldly work while the mind is attuned to Yaar Vaheguru). When you are able to absorb yourself in Bhagti for hours and hours at stretch, then you can consider reducing your workload.

Guru Sahib knows better.

Kulbir Singh
October 03, 2012 09:28AM
Hi, I am in medical school. I want nothing but to sit in sat sang all day everday listening to akhaand paath or akhand kirtan.
However I am realizing so much. Doing bhagti within grist jeevan is the highest. It is so hard to do all of your worldly dhandhe live a nirmal jeevan and then nitnem on top of it. Like bhai sahib said above there is enough time to do pure bhagti if you handle all your tasks as well. It is much easier just to thiag all school and say it is worthless and just sit there and listen to kirtan on youtube all day everyday. But then you start to realize you gotta do what you gotta do and that is equally important.
And now that Im spending more time in school related works im starting to question how serious my bhagti even is was. Gur Sikhi Jeevan is for saints. It is only through guru sahib's kirpa that one can do nitnem.
To do nitnem plus accomplish worldly duties is nothing short of a miracle.
Please do ardaas for me that I may one day be a gur sikh.

even as I posted this. I am at school library. got my book out of my backpack. set it on the table. pushing it aside opened japji sahib. Not even 2 minutes into japji sahib I open up browser and now find myself posting on a website.
I truly feel like that line by Bhagat Kabir Singh Ji about the Vadda Abaagh.
Gur sikha ki har dhoor deh hum papi bhi gat paye
October 08, 2012 10:58AM
Bhai Kulbir Singh jee and Maheep jeeo, thank you so much for your priceless advice.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login