ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Why did waheguru create the universe and its content?

Posted by Manvir 
I have a few questions:

Why has God created humans, creatures, the world, universe, birth, death, karam, hell, maya etc etc

I think it will help if i put this question into context.

I am not Amrit Dhari but would desperately like to take Amrit very soon. I want to take amrit out of love and affection for God and not out of fear (fear is my motive at the moment). I’m scared that if i don’t take amrit before i die i will be boiled alive, have hot oil poured in my ears, be beaten with clobbers by the devils etc for all the bad things that ive done in my life like cut my hair etc I’m hoping that if i understand why God created the universe and rules and regulations, it will encourage me to take Amrit sooner rather than later and for a better reason that not wanting to go through 8.4million lives, being beaten by devils etc

I find that when i pray i do it because its a chore ie i have to do it because God said we have to, not because i want to do it.

Giani Takhur Singh Ji came to our house a few days ago. I asked him why God has created everything. He said 'i don’t know, its his game, don’t worry about why you are here. Now that you ARE here worry about what you now need to do'. That didnt really help answer my question. I wanted to say if its a game- with all due respect is that not cruel and unfair? What if i dont want to be a part of this game anymore? I would much rather not exist- i dont want to be a part of this game because its difficult. eg If you have a hairy face - you cant remove the hair because its Gods hukum. Its hard as a girl- how are you suppose to face the world? I dont want people to take the micky out of me or look at me strangely. People say when you do paat and simran you overcome all that- realistically, as a married woman with kids, in-laws to look after and work - when will i ever have enough time to do so much bhagti to achieve that- unlikely. If as a human you spend every spare hour doing paat and simran- when do you form relationships, have a social life etc (Or are you not suppose to as part of our religion?)

What is the purpose of life?

Is there not a specific shabad i can do a number of times so that i can get rid of unwanted hair in unusual places forever?

I am genuinely really, really sorry if i have said anything wrong or out of term and i hope God can forgive me if i have. I am not saying anything that God tells us to do is incorrect as i am sure there is a reason for it all. Im just desperately wanting to understand it?

Finally, i used to really enjoy waking up at Amrit vela and doing my nitnem, doing simran in the car to and from work, i even started my sehaj paat and started to do 125,000 beads of mool manter. But then i was put off because they say that there is no point unless you are Amrit dhari. Is that true? I know that i get less benefit than an amrit dhari person does but is it soo much less that its almost pointless? E.g. will my ardaas not become true on the 40th day after reciting 125,000 mool mater because i am not amrit dhari? I dont eat meat, i dont drink or smoke, i try not to hurt others feelings, ive never been clubbing etc, I cut my hair a hand full of times when I was 20 odd and then stopped cutting the hair on my head. Does all of that account for nothing?

Sorry I know there are a lot of questions there. Please can someone help me?
Reply Quote TweetFacebook

Giani Takhur Singh Ji came to our house a few days ago. I asked him why God has created everything. He said 'i don’t know, its his game, don’t worry about why you are here. Now that you ARE here worry about what you now need to do'. That didnt really help answer my question. I wanted to say if its a game- with all due respect is that not cruel and unfair? What if i dont want to be a part of this game anymore? I would much rather not exist- i dont want to be a part of this game because its difficult.

Giani Ji’s answer is correct. It is all God’s Hukam. If you really want to know the answer then it is important that you ask God directly since He is the Creator. Who better than God to answer this question. Fortunately, Gurbani shows us the way to become one with Waheguru and get all the answers. Expecting someone to answer all of your answers first is not a smart thing because there are some answers that are sought from within and without practice and experience, those answers are not obtained. One cannot comprehend everything i.e. a finite human cannot fully comprehend the infinite. Gurbani tells us that we are here because God put us here. We have no choice, freedom or way to escape it except follow Guru’s Hukam. If you live in a denial or want to escape it without making an effort, you will be unsuccessful. The best thing to do is to accept it and make an effort according to Gurbani and escape it. God’s creation is not unfair or unjust. God is the most just and fair of all.

eg If you have a hairy face - you cant remove the hair because its Gods hukum. Its hard as a girl- how are you suppose to face the world? I dont want people to take the micky out of me or look at me strangely. People say when you do paat and simran you overcome all that- realistically, as a married woman with kids, in-laws to look after and work - when will i ever have enough time to do so much bhagti to achieve that- unlikely. If as a human you spend every spare hour doing paat and simran- when do you form relationships, have a social life etc (Or are you not suppose to as part of our religion?)

Any disease or facial hair for women could be the effects of past karma but it all works within the Hukam. One creates their own karma and hence, has the ability to change them. Life itself is difficult to live but a Sikh doesn’t care about what others think because other people will never be pleased. People will find other reasons just to have a laugh but we shouldn’t be changing ourselves to suit narrow-mindedness and immature thinking of others.

ਤੇਰੀ ਭਗਤਿ ਨ ਛੋਡਉ ਭਾਵੈ ਲੋਗੁ ਹਸੈ ॥

If we make as much effort to please Guru Sahib as we do to please others, I think we wouldn’t find this life difficult and the panth overall would be in chardi kala. Facial hair is not the contributor to terrible marriage life. Suppose you didn’t have any facial hair at the time of marriage and 10 years later you started to have them. Would you expect your husband to leave you and kick you out? Is this the type of person you wish to live with who cannot see beyond physical features? Physical problems and diseases come and go and it is foolish to assume that one needs to stay perfectly healthy throughout their life in order to have a happy married life. Find someone who appreciates you as a person not just your physical body. You need to stay strong and stand against any obstacle. Guru Sahib will always help you.

Guru Sahib never instructed Sikhs to not have social life. In fact, a true Sikh is true householder. He is supposed to be mentally attuned to God’s Naam and physically take care of his social responsibilities.

ਹਸੰਦਿਆ ਖੇਲੰਦਿਆ ਪੈਨੰਦਿਆ ਖਾਵੰਦਿਆ ਵਿਚੇ ਹੋਵੈ ਮੁਕਤਿ ॥2॥

A true gursikh is a father, brother, husband, honest worker, saint and a warrior. He engages in Naam japp and encourages others to do the same. He practices Sikhi and spreads it to others. He fights oppression and injustice in every sphere of life. He physically lives in this world and fully participates in it but mentally remains absorbed in Naam. He stays in maya yet remains detached from it. This is the life of a gursikh. So a Sikh is never supposed to renounce the world or run away from it but actively engage in it so that a peaceful society of true saint-warriors can be established.

What is the purpose of life?

According to Gurbani, the purpose is to seek union with Waheguru i.e. escape maya and cycle of death and birth. This is achieved by following Guru Sahib’s hukam (rehat). Only then one will live united with Waheguru in Sachkhand.

Is there not a specific shabad i can do a number of times so that i can get rid of unwanted hair in unusual places forever?

I do not know what “unusual places” means. If it refers to face in particular, I would suggest seeking treatment for the cause of it. Some bibis have claimed that after taking Amrit and keeping rehat their hair have reduced significantly without doing anything. Jaap of any Gurbani shabad eliminates physical and mental diseases. What I have observed is that gursikhs do ardaas commencing shabad abhiyaas for 40 days and do ardaas of completion on the last day. During ardaas just state what you want to achieve but make sure it is not anti-gurmat or to hurt others.

Finally, i used to really enjoy waking up at Amrit vela and doing my nitnem, doing simran in the car to and from work, i even started my sehaj paat and started to do 125,000 beads of mool manter. But then i was put off because they say that there is no point unless you are Amrit dhari. Is that true? I know that i get less benefit than an amrit dhari person does but is it soo much less that its almost pointless? E.g. will my ardaas not become true on the 40th day after reciting 125,000 mool mater because i am not amrit dhari? I dont eat meat, i dont drink or smoke, i try not to hurt others feelings, ive never been clubbing etc, I cut my hair a hand full of times when I was 20 odd and then stopped cutting the hair on my head. Does all of that account for nothing?

Gurbani cleanses one’s mind so no matter who practices it will surely reap the benefits. Bhai Rama Singh Ji practiced mool mantar and got darshan of Guru Sahib before taking Amrit. Doing good deeds, not committing bajjar kurehats and practicing naam/Gurbani even before taking Amrit surely accumulates and benefits the person. Leave the amount of benefit up to Guru Sahib because only He controls it but it is never pointless. There have been many bhagats and gursikhs who had done immense naam kamayee which was approved upon taking Amrit. So your gurmat practices are being accumulated and when you take Amrit these will be approved. You should continue to do seha paath, mool mantar and waking up at Amrit vela. These are according to Gurmat and always get counted by Guru Sahib. Seek sangat of practicing gursikhs and they will surely help you. Guru Rakha
Amazing post Bijla Singh ji.
As always, great post Bijla Singh Jee
Good post veer ji
If that post from Bijla Singh doesn't asnweer the question - I doubt if any other post will - absolutely terrific post.
Manvir Bhenji,

Your questions remind me of two of my relatives. I have one relative who does not have a positive relationship with her father. She often ask " why was I born to him". Her direction and purpose in life always seem unclear. On the other hand I have another relative who loves her father more then the world. She is goal orientated and she never doubts why she was born to the father she had; instead, she is always thankful about the father she has and many times brags about how great her father is. Your questioning life because you obviously do not have a loving relationship with your father " God". Trust me God loves you and he loves us all if we dont experience this love then we will always be bombarded with puzzling questions.

The goal is to experience the love within yourself and this can happen through taking Amrit and living a Gursikh lifestyle which includes accpeting beautiful kesh. As long as we dont recognize our divine origins then the connection to God will not occur. One day a Gursikh approached Sri Guru Ji and said how can can I get liberation? Sri Guru Ji responded " by knowing yourself". He said I do know myself Im a Khatri. Sri Guru Ji said no you are associating yourself with the body and not the soul . Sri Guru Ji said if you want to know yourself then sing and listen to Kirtan Akatha( Pure Akhand Kirtan). In the company of true Gurmukh Gianis ( naam abhyiaasi Gursikhs) we begin to understand our origins.

If you recognized youself as a atma originated from God instead of a body then you would not be concerned about what people think about your outer appearance. Kesh on the face is not a defect or dieases its manmat to assume so. Kesh is Shakti ( power) and you should not look down on it. Dont be concerned about how the world views you. Treatment ( removing Kesh) is forbidden in Sikhi. A person who does not recognize Kesh as Sri Guru Jis nishan they can never experience the divine love of God nor they ever experience their true self. As long as you keep obsessed with your outter appearnce you will never be able to stay grounded within.
To answer your first question...

Why has God created humans, creatures, the world, universe, birth, death, karam, hell, maya etc etc

Although this may seem like a complex question, with a complex answer, the answer is straightforward in Gurbani. Gurbani states that:

ਸੰਤ ਹੇਤਿ, ਪ੍ਰਭਿ ਤ੍ਰਿਭਵਣ ਧਾਰੇ
Thus, Akal Purakh Has created the universe for Gurmukhs and those following in the path of Gurmat. There is no other reason for the Universe to be in existence then for all existing creatures to build enough good Karam, to one day become Bramgyanee's. Simply put, The universe has been created for us to Jaap Naam and Keep rehit!

Why Akal Purakh chose to do this is beyond our understanding, but we do know from Gurbani that is somewhat like a game for Akal Purakh. One understands this game of life only by becoming Gurmukh, as stated in Sri Sidh Ghost

ਅਬਿਨਾਸੀ ਪ੍ਰਭਿ ਖੇਲੁ ਰਚਾਇਆ, ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਸੋਝੀ ਹੋਈ
In the following pangti

Is the meaning- God created the three worlds ( creation) out of love for his saints .

Why is sihari added in Prabh?
I cannot stop thinking about this pangti
ਸੰਤ ਹੇਤਿ ਪ੍ਰਭਿ ਤ੍ਰਿਭਵਣ ਧਾਰੇ ॥

Is it possible that this pangti means
Through the love of the saints God comes in this world meaning he gives darshan and people get jeevan mukhti.

I cannot stop thinking about this pangti
ਸੰਤ ਹੇਤਿ ਪ੍ਰਭਿ ਤ੍ਰਿਭਵਣ ਧਾਰੇ ॥
Is it possible that this pangti means
Through the love of the saints God comes in this world meaning he gives darshan and people get jeevan mukhti.

That's a beautiful Pankiti and really sums up why Vaheguru jee created this world. The meaning according to my humble understanding is:

Because of love for Sants, Vaheguru created Tribhavan (the whole world).

Another Pankiti from Siri Sukhmani Sahib comes to the mind:

ਜਹ ਪਸਰੈ ਪਾਸਾਰੁ ਸੰਤ ਪਰਤਾਪਿ ॥
(Where ever he creates creation, he does so for the glory of Sants).

It's like a play for Vaheguru. Sant Bhagats are always underdogs in this play but in the end, they always win against Maya. In another Pankiti, Guru Sahib makes it clear that in this play, Vaheguru jee loves it when some Bhagat breaks the bonds of Kaam, Krodh, Lobh, Moh etc.:

ਕਰਮ ਧਰਮ ਤੁਮ੍‍ ਚਉਪੜਿ ਸਾਜਹੁ ਸਤੁ ਕਰਹੁ ਤੁਮ੍‍ ਸਾਰੀ ॥
ਕਾਮੁ ਕ੍ਰੋਧੁ ਲੋਭੁ ਮੋਹੁ ਜੀਤਹੁ ਐਸੀ ਖੇਲ ਹਰਿ ਪਿਆਰੀ ॥2॥

(Win over Kaam, Krodh, Lobh, and Moh; such play is very dear to Vaheguru).

The way to please Vaheguru is to follow Gurmat.

Gurbani Agam Agaadh Bodh hai jee.

Kulbir Singh
Thanks Kulbir SIngh Jeeo, this is an extremely beautiful pangti.
I forgot to ask why is Sihari included in Prabh?
Sihaar here denotes that Prabh is a singular noun in Karta Kaarak form and the meaning is "Prabh ne".

Kulbir Singh
God created this world out of love for his saints

I still cannot keep this wonderful pangti out of my mind. What a mind blowing and thought provoking pangti. This world came into existence for the purpose of his Gurmukh devotees ( saints). Why? Sri Sukhmani Sahib provides the answer

ਜਿਸੁ ਵਖਰ ਕਉ ਲੈਨਿ ਤੂ ਆਇਆ ॥
ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮੁ ਸੰਤਨ ਘਰਿ ਪਾਇਆ ॥
The wealth ( naam) for which you came into this world to earn resides in the house ( company ) of the holy.

Where is the house of the saints? The Gurus house where we take amrit and increase the wealth of naam in the company of Gurmukh devotees.

Why did Sri Guru Ji manifest into this world?

ਧਰਮ ਚਲਾਵਨ ਸੰਤ ਉਬਾਰਨ ॥ ਦੁਸਟ ਸਭਨ ਕੋ ਮੂਲ ਉਪਾਰਨ ॥੪੩॥

Why else but to spread the path of Naam, protect the saints and destroy the root of all the enemies.

How do we get this special protection of Sri Guru JI?

ਜੋ ਸਾਧੂ ਸਰਣੀ ਪਰੇ ਤਿਨ ਕੇ ਕਵਨ ਬਿਚਾਰ ॥
ਦੰਤ ਜੀਭ ਜਿਮ ਰਾਖਿ ਹੈ ਦੁਸਟ ਅਰਿਸਟ ਸੰਘਾਰ ॥੨੫॥

Those saints who come into Sri Guru Ji sanctuary will be protected the same way the tongue is protected by the teeth.

How do we come into Sri Guru Jis sanctuary?
ਮੇਰੇ ਮਨ ਸਾਧ ਸਰਣਿ ਛੁਟਕਾਰਾ ॥
By taking refuge in the Gurmukh Saints sanctuary do we actually come into Sri Guru jis sanctuary and thus we are freed from the very dark web of Maya.

Is there any other purpose in life but to earn wealth in the company of Gurmukh saints? Are we living up to our lifes purpose if we do not serve the saints who God created this world for?

ਜਪੁ ਤਪੁ ਸੰਜਮੁ ਧਰਮੁ ਨ ਕਮਾਇਆ ॥ ਸੇਵਾ ਸਾਧ ਨ ਜਾਨਿਆ ਹਰਿ ਰਾਇਆ ॥ ਕਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਹਮ ਨੀਚ ਕਰੰਮਾ ॥ ਸਰਣਿ ਪਰੇ ਕੀ ਰਾਖਹੁ ਸਰਮਾ ॥੨॥੪॥
ਫਰੀਦਾ ਜੇ ਤੂ ਮੇਰਾ ਹੋਇ ਰਹਹਿ ਸਭੁ ਜਗੁ ਤੇਰਾ ਹੋਇ ॥੯੫॥ !!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login