ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Question about Charan Pahul

Posted by Manvir Singh 
Question about Charan Pahul
September 14, 2012 03:34PM
Vaheguru Jee.

Someone was having a discussion with me about Charan Pahul and what Charan Pahul actually meant. I explained that according to my limited knowledge Charan-Pahul refers to the practice of the first Nine Guru Sahibs of blessing water in a Sarbloh baathaa with their toe/feet (charan).

Bhai Gurdaas Jee says:
ਚਰਨ ਧੋਇ ਰਹਰਾਸਿ ਕਰਿ ਚਰਣਾਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਸਿਖਾਂ ਪੀਲਾਇਆ ||

The person having the discussion with me said that he finds the idea of Guru Sahib touching water with his feet or having his feet washed and the Sikh drinking 'manmat'. I explained that I would drink the water touched by Guru Nanak Dev Jee's feet - how fortunate one would be to do such a thing. He then argued that he accepts the shardhaa of any Gursikh to do such a thing but "in principle" he thinks Guru Sahib would not do such a thing.

Can learned Gursikhs please shed light on the details of Charan Pahul and provide information.

Dhanvaad.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Question about Charan Pahul
September 15, 2012 12:46AM
We all understand that till the time when "Khandey Di Pahul" was not started the person was initiated into Sikhism by Charan Pahul. Elder Jatha Singhs can tell whether Guru Jees Toe or Full Feet was part of Charan Pahul.

Not only our first 9 Gurus but even our Kalgidhar Dasmesh Pita had given Charan Pahul.

Once Brahmgyani Jee said, "It is very sad to see that till now many sangat still take water in their palm and drink, from where sangat wash feet, before entering inside darbar sahib. Our Kalgidhar Dasmesh Pita has already given us Amrit - Khandey Di Pahul to drink and we are still Rulde-Phirde. Nothing is more supreme than Amrit. Sangat should stop this manmat and take Amrit. The person who has already taken the Amrit should never do that because Amrit will break".

There are evidence in Granth Sooraj Prakash that the person who licked the Lotus Feet of Siri Guru Nanak Dev Jee became Brahmgyani in not even in Seconds but in Nano or Pico Seconds. Here I am not talking about Charan Pahul but this is a sentence from Sakhi. Just imagine what can be more fortunate than this that just by licking Lotus Feets of Guru Jees a person goes to deep samadhi in sachkhand. The person would get thousand and thousand boltz of lightening current in their body.

Daas may have made many mistake while explaining. Sorry for going little off the topic, but could not control the emotions.

Bhul Chuk Maaf.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh.
September 15, 2012 06:16AM
I think it was mentioned in the Katha of Baba Jagjit Singh Harkhowale that "Charan" in "Charan Pahul" refers to the Gur-Shabad. i.e. The water was turned into Amrit through recited the Gur-Shabad and then was given to the Abhilaakhee to drink. This is the first time I heard of an alternative viewpoint on Charan-Pahul.
September 17, 2012 11:22AM
From Vaars it is pretty clear that Charanamrit involved two things: water obtained from washing Guru’s feet and reciting Gurbani. There are many pauris in Vaars that refer to Charanamrit as washing Guru’s feet. There is nothing wrong with it nor is there any Gurmat principle that rejects it. There might be deeper mystical meaning to it as well just like in Gur Kay Charan Dhoe Dhoe Peeva(n).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login