ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What is Maya?

Posted by guruvah 
What is Maya?
August 29, 2012 12:44PM
Bhai Kulbir Singh jeo,
What actually and truly maya is? Gurbani talk about it a lot. But how does Gurbani defines it?
What are it characteristics?
Is it an entity(demon like) or a force? m
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: What is Maya?
August 29, 2012 04:19PM
BHai Randhir Singh Ji has mentioned Maya is a witchlike demon with very big teeth. During death these teeth devour most people since they are trapped in worldliness, but some rare Gurmukhs who japp naam constantly escape the terrible sight of these teeth.

ਨਾਰਾਇਣ ਕਹਤ ਜਮੁ ਭਾਗਿ ਪਲਾਇਣ ॥
ਨਾਰਾਇਣ ਦੰਤ ਭਾਨੇ ਡਾਇਣ ॥੨॥

The same decription of Maya in Gurbani as one being with big teeth is the same description the sakhis use when describing the demon " Kaljug" . I happen to believe they are one and the same demon with different names.
August 29, 2012 08:11PM
One can see that any effect that keeps away from PARBRAHM,PARMESUR or SATiGuRU can be
reffered as MAYA.
From Gurbanee one can learn that MAYA is described with TRINITY of properties.The MAYA is
also created by PRABHu itself. The path to MAYA and NAAMu go together.as can be understood
from a Quote as
"LIV DHAT DO RAHA CHALA-ee............................

The whole game of ones life is under the influence of MAYA only SATiGuRu can take any one out of its effects
and paves the way for union with PRABHu.

Bhul Chuk Maaf

Daas

Prakash.S.Bagga
August 30, 2012 02:45AM
What is Maya -By Bhai Kulbir Singh Ji (lecture delivered camp 2005)

Ravinder Singh
August 30, 2012 09:26AM
Sukhdeep Singh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The same decription of Maya in Gurbani as one
> being with big teeth is the same description the
> sakhis use when describing the demon " Kaljug" . I
> happen to believe they are one and the same demon
> with different names.

I could be wrong but from my understanding of Maya is that I don't think Kalyug and Maya are the same entity. Maya existed even in Satyug before Kalyug had started. Maya is all the seen and unseen universe around us. Even our body is a part of Maya. Our 5 senses can see, feel, taste the Maya all over and around us. I don't think Maya is evil or good by default. But being surrounded by Maya the Jeev become materialistic due to ignorance. The Jeev forgets what it's real goal in life is. Maya is illusion. Gurbani has used the metaphor of a dream to describe how unreal it is because a dream is also unreal. But again due to the jeev's ignorance it can't realize this fact. The ignorance is also like the dirt on a mirror which prevents us from seeing the mirror clearly. But with Naam Simran we can clean this ignorance which has accumulated for many Janams.
August 30, 2012 11:00AM
R singh Jeeo,

I think you have misunderstood me. I am not referring to the ages when I say kaljug. I am referring to the scary looking demon with very dark complextion and gigantic teeth when I say " Kaljug". THe Janam Sakhis as well as writings of Kavi Santokh Singh Ji and Bhai Vir Singh Ji mention a conversation between PEhli Paatshah and " Kaljug". Kaljugs goals is to prevent people from doing Bhagti, but Sri Guru Ji said his Gursikhs will break the teeth of Kaljug.

I happen to believe Kaljug as an actual demon ( ghost figure) and not some methaphor or myth. The same description given about kaljug in the historical text is similar to the description given about Maya in Gurbani. Maya to is a ghost like figure with enornmous teeth. You are right to say Maya is very powerful, Maya is so powerful that all of creation is under its grip. The whole world is dancing to the enchanting flute of Maya! As long as one is under trigun and the lotus petal is facing downward then surely this is a sign we are influenced by Maya. Maya has no influence on the Gurmukh mandali where only the one true name is chanted, and Maya massages the feet of Gurmukhs . Maya is not just a concept or a methaphor. Maya is an actual being. In the Hindu text the word for this powerful demon is called Maya , in the semetic texts it is referred to as Satan/Shatan. Sri Guru Ji has used both popular names in Gurbani, and the sakhis have used the word Kaljug. Ulimately they are one and the same . Maya aka Kaljug aka Shatan is very deceptive so deceptive they have the whole world believing that they are just a figment of ones imagination.
August 31, 2012 10:06AM
You know maya the demon. Does it show itself to you while you are doing naam simran?
Does it enjoy troubling you while you are doing naam simran...Like its real true face.
Why does it show itself during naam abhiyaas?
How is maya able to have a form or a face? Everything is maya..But how does maya have a form?
August 31, 2012 11:14AM
Personally I think maya is more of a concept rather than an actual being, a state of mind. Lets be careful not to create a satan-esque sikhi equivalent out of Maya and Kalyug. In my view maya is whenever our mind is operating under the trai gun mentioned in bani - rajo, sato, tamo, these are all manmat states of mind. While we are under any of these states then everything but Vaheguroo himself is Maya, a distraction from Vaheguroo devoid of naam rass. On the other hand, in choutha pad or the fouth state above the trai gun, which is the avastha of a gurmukh, nothing is maya, everything is Vaheguru.

As for kalyug, thst too I belueve is not an entity. As per my understanding it is Hinduism which statez ghat some external influence called kalyug caused all humans to behave wrongly, but in sikhi its just all humans started acting worse and worse and so the age came to be callex Kalyug.

I think any physical descriptoons are meant to represent the ferocity and tenacity of challenges posed by maya and kalyug.

Just my personal thoughts.
August 31, 2012 11:17AM
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh,
I believe I have seen this demon outside and inside of me, looking like a deformed face, and it is me, my ego?
Today, I received confirmation of this thought when I looked at Guru Nanak Dev Ji's photo and asked why am I stuck in my predicament, both spiritually (not able to progress, although I have received some blessings?), and having to live where I am...His answer>
You have attained this human life, so hard to attain, let go of your ego, turn your mind inward, and attain salvation...if that is what you want!?
So I ask Him, now how do I let go of my ego, and mind going on in circles, although I feel my lotus is no longer inverted...and churns Naam but my demon mind would not let me do it, because 100% humility is not within me yet?
Bhul chuk muaf
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh
August 31, 2012 12:25PM
Uttam Singh Jeeo,

THis is one topic I really do not feel interested in discussing. I feel extremely uncomfortable talking about this devilish ghost. I will make a quick response to your post but this will be my last response on this topic.

Personally I think maya is more of a concept rather than an actual being, a state of mind. Lets be careful not to create a satan-esque sikhi equivalent out of Maya and Kalyug. In my view maya is whenever our mind is operating under the trai gun mentioned in bani - rajo, sato, tamo, these are all manmat states of mind. While we are under any of these states then everything but Vaheguroo himself is Maya, a distraction from Vaheguroo devoid of naam rass. On the other hand, in choutha pad or the fouth state above the trai gun, which is the avastha of a gurmukh, nothing is maya, everything is Vaheguru.

This line of thinking is very similar to the vedantic teachings that " all is God including oneself , and thinking otherwise is an "illusion" in other words Maya. If a Maya is a mere concept then why does Gurbani give a physical description of Maya. Sri Guru Ji mentions Maya has teeth.
ਨਾਰਾਇਣ ਦੰਤ ਭਾਨੇ ਡਾਇਣ ॥੨॥

Since when does a concept have teeth? Gurbani is not the vedas it is the complete truth it does not use methphors when discussing such serious topics.

Also, Janam Sakhis mention a physical conversation between Sri Guru Ji and Maya where Sri GUru Ji hits mayas gigantic teeth with a cane . How on earth can someone have a physical conversation with a concept then smash their teeth with a cane? Bhai Randhir Singh Ji also gives a physical description of Maya and refers to maya as a demon/ghost ( ਡਾਇਣ). He also mentions how Maya massages the feet of Gurmukhs. Since when can a concept massage the feet of a Gurmukh? Once again Maya is a real powerful being ( demon). This demon is very deceptive and the biggest trick it has performed is fooling the world it doesnt exist. Im not interested in debating this matter you are free to believe as you wish. Kindly read our history , and the book Gurmat Gaurvita by Bhai Randhir Singh Ji to get a better understanding.
August 31, 2012 12:29PM
Uttam Singh Jee, but Maya is not a state of mind. Maya means illusion. Some people think Maya is evil but it is not evil or good. It is everything we can see or feel though our five senses. The food we eat, the air we breath the things we see with our eyes(drisht and undrisht) is all Maya. It is all the physical reality we can see and feel.

Kaliyug is not Maya. These are two different entities. Kaliyug is a time period,the age in which we are currently living in. It is said to be the most evil age where Paap is the norm. Kaliyug is also said to be an actual entity or it can manifest itself into a physical form like what Sukhdeep Singh Jee said. There is even story of Guru Nanak Dev Jee meeting with this manifested form of Kaliyug. Baba Nand Singh Jee has also met Kaliyug in a Saakhi because of which Sukhmani Sahib is now permanently being read in Nanaksar 24 hours a day non stop because with the recitation of Sukhmani Sahib the effects of Kaliyug are lessened.
August 31, 2012 10:38PM
Waheguru!
maybe Veer Sukhdeep Singh Ji is right, something in red just flew in from porch screen door into my apartment, as i was getting ready for sleep..
September 01, 2012 12:43AM
I think one should understand that Other than NAAMu...Every thing else is
MAYA .

Bhul Chuk Maaf

Daas

Prakash.S.Bagga
September 01, 2012 04:40AM
Waheguru,
Thank-you again Prakash Singh Ji...I humbly agree, NAAM's power is unsurmountable!
Living amongst non-believers/ maya supporters after taking Amrit though, does rob of attained blessings..Waheguru kirpa karey is pappi murakh nu.
Bhul chuk muaf
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login