ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sikh Temple Shooting: Why Do the Media Care Less About This Attack?

Posted by JASJIT SINGH 
Sikh Temple Shooting: Why Do the Media Care Less About This Attack?
Riddhi Shah.
Editor, HuffPost Good News
Posted: 08/07/2012 12:27 am

On Sunday night I turned on the TV to find that only CNN was covering the Sikh temple shooting in Wisconsin that killed six. Fox News had a program about a prison in Latin America, and MSNBC, something else that was equally irrelevant.

Compare this with the coverage of an incident that happened only two weeks ago, the shooting that killed 12 people in Aurora, Colo. Networks devoted themselves round-the-clock to the attack: Who was the shooter? Why did he do it? There were entire segments dedicated (rightly) to covering the vigils and a community in mourning.

This time, there was none of that. Instead, TV commentators asked tentative questions about a religion that few had heard of. There was none of the sense of outrage that followed the Aurora massacre, none of the national heartbreak and grief that seemed so pervasive only two weeks ago.

On the Sunday after the Aurora shooting, I'd taken a taxi to see The Dark Knight Rises. The cabbie told me to "be careful" when I stepped out and headed to the theater. This time around, even the man behind the counter at my neighborhood Indian grocery store found out about the incident several hours after it had happened. "We only knew when people from India began calling us," he told me.

So, obviously, the question is: Why is it that the American people, and the American media in particular, care less about this attack?

The Aurora shooting was purportedly the handiwork of a mentally disturbed young man. The attack says a lot about the lack of gun control in the U.S. but ultimately little else. Shouldn't this attack, with its label of "domestic terrorism" and possible political agenda, spark off a larger discussion about the dangerous insularity of American society? Shouldn't we be talking about why white-supremacist ideology would find a favorable recruit in a man with a military background?

Consider, for a minute, a situation in which the skin colors of the victims and attacker were reversed. What if, instead of a white supremacist, the attacker had been a Muslim fundamentalist, and the place of worship a synagogue or a church? Would Fox News have aired a segment about a Latin American prison just hours after the shooting? Would we be talking about the Olympics right now?

I'm not American. I'm Indian. But in the three years that I've lived here, I've come to love this country. I love the freedom and meritocracy that allows me, an immigrant, to work at one of the country's most well-known Internet news organizations.

I also love that America lets me, in theory, practice the faith I was born into -- another small, lesser-known Eastern religion called Jainism. Like the six people who died at the Gurudwara in Wisconsin, I have woken up early on weekends to go to a temple, mine being a Jain temple in Queens, N.Y. Jainism, like Sikhism, broke with Hinduism over the caste system. We're not as physically conspicuous as Sikhs, but we're a racial and religious minority all the same. Just like the hundreds of Sikhs who'd gathered at that Gurudwara in Oak Creek, I've marveled at this strange immigrant experience that allows me to feel at home while living in a foreign country. And when I read about the shooting on Sunday, I thought of all the people I know who were engaged in a similar pursuit at the Jain temple in New York.

America's greatest strength, in my opinion, is its ability to swallow up all its immigrants and create an inimitable blend of Americanness and individuality. The reason that so many of us come here, and then want to stay, is that we can be both American and something else -- Indian, Italian, Sikh, Mexican. We can have our feet in two different cultural milieus and feel comfortable in both. I can be part of the American mainstream without having to forsake my heritage.

Today, if we don't ask why a small religious community in the Midwest was targeted by a 40-year-old white man, if we don't make this discussion as loud and robust as the one that followed the attack on Gabby Giffords or on those young people in Aurora, we're in danger of undermining what America stands for.
[www.huffingtonpost.com]
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Why can you expect? There is nothing new about this, Western Media is a JOKE. All the major stations are bought by corporations, and only feed to the people what they feel is important or anything that will benefit them. For example, MANY of the news corporations are partly owned by DEFENSE contractors. These contractors make money by going to war, and for this reason love to frighten the people, into thinking there is a war against Christianity and American values by foreigners. A Skinhead shooting up a temple with brown congregants does not benefit them in any way shape or form.

I do give appreciation to CNN though, that covered this story thoroughly. For the last days, from the day of the shooting, CNN has brought massive coverage and had the story on the front page of their website. They also wrote many articles, and had many segments on their news channel about who the Sikh community is. In a strange way, we can take a little good from this event, knowing that thousands of people now know more about us, seeing that we are in the national spotlight.

If the roles were reversed, this would be a no brainier. If a Church was shot up by any minority, than for sure every news channel would have went ballistic, and called this an act of terrorism. But news agency like FOX NEWS fail to acknowledge this, and rather just see it as any normal act of violence.
I rarely watch the news but whenever I do I would always try to watch both liberal ( CNN ) and conservative ( FOXX) channels to get a good understanding on key issues.

I am surprised how much coverage CNN has given us. There are many important news going in the word right now but still they have given us alot of coverage. FOXX which is heavily supported by the NRA has hardly even mentioned the event. I think I will boycott this news channel and no longer watch news from FOXX.
Send your comments with above story to foxnewstips@foxnews.com.
Faux news is only a hardline right wing extremist news channel. It's because of their hate filled propaganda that is turning Americans into extreme right wing airheads. I wouldn't be surprised if the crazy skinhead who shot at those innocent Sikhs was also a regular viewer of Faux news.

Can you imagine Faux news ignoring this event if the reverse had happened? say if a Muslim had attacked a church killing six Christians, Americans would have gone berserk and bombed some country in the middle east by now.
Guys

Look at it in a positive limelight -

we have the most powerful country in the world is flying it's flag half mast in respect of what happenned. Our own mahan bharat 0r mahan thug country has never done nothing of the sort and probably never will - respect USA big time.
Sukhdeep Singh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I rarely watch the news but whenever I do I would
> always try to watch both liberal ( CNN ) and
> conservative ( FOXX) channels to get a good
> understanding on key issues.
>
> I am surprised how much coverage CNN has given
> us. There are many important news going in the
> word right now but still they have given us alot
> of coverage. FOXX which is heavily supported by
> the NRA has hardly even mentioned the event. I
> think I will boycott this news channel and no
> longer watch news from FOXX.

I don't think CNN is really liberal, they are very much in the middle. Most of the anchors are just robots who have no opinions on anything. It's obious that FOX represents hardcore conservatism so i'm not sure it would ever be a good idea to get any news from them. It's just pure propaganda.

we have the most powerful country in the world is flying it's flag half mast in respect of what happenned.

ns44 jio,

There are many people out there who don't know why it is half staffed. In fact at my work some people mentioned that they saw the flag half staffed but don't know the reason. Many people watch FOX news and they say there was nothing about this. I agree that this incident got better coverage in some US media compared to Indian media. As Sikhs are now focusing on educating general American public about this incident, so role of media can not be undermined and FOX news should be reminded of their duty of journalism. Who knows after receiving so many complaints from Sikhs like you they might broadcast something about the incident which may benefit all of us. Let's take positive thinking out of this.

With Regards,
Jasjit Singh

I don't think CNN is really liberal, they are very much in the middle. Most of the anchors are just robots who have no opinions on anything. It's obious that FOX represents hardcore conservatism so i'm not sure it would ever be a good idea to get any news from them. It's just pure propaganda.

In the United States CNN is regarded as the most liberal news channel. CNN Is owned by BBC which is another liberal network channel.
To be fair, actually foxnews covered it on their main page for first three days and it was fox's assosciate *myfox6* which covered everything live. Even other channels were getting live feed from FOX6.

Having said that CNN gave the best coverage but I must say that because of the unfortunate tragic incident Sikhs got a well deserved coverage.

Vaheguroo Ji Ka Khalsa
Vaheguroo Ji Ki Fateh!
Here are few links from fox

[www.foxnews.com]
[www.foxnews.com]
[www.foxnews.com]
[www.foxnews.com]
[video.foxnews.com]
[video.foxnews.com]
[video.foxnews.com]
Not paapi Jio,

It looks like Foxnews did cover something on thier website but as people were complaining not much on boradcast as the original writer said that "---only CNN was covering the Sikh temple shooting in Wisconsin that killed six. Fox News had a program about a prison in Latin America ---".

and seems like they listened to complaints and brodcasting live coverage of funeral services from a packed hall.
Here is the online streaming link. Be advised the broadcast may be only for couple of hours:

[video.foxnews.com]
May be you are right about TV broadcast, Not sure about Tv broadcast, I don't have a cable but their website covered it on the frontpage for three days in succession.

Vaheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa
Vaheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!
Badal is giving speech right now live on CNN
Surprising! Sardar Badal is delivering speech in English and apologized for the American flag burning in India. First time ever he did good deed here.
Really good article of a Sikh bibi

[ireport.cnn.com]
Thanks rsingh jio sharing this article, what a Subhagi GurSikh Parvaar. Guru Sahib Kirpa Karan more of these articles are needed at this time. Great Singh (not paapi) jio good job.smiling bouncing smiley
Another great article we need to read and spread around

[www.sikhchic.com]

This tragedy will be seen as an opportunity by Christian missionaries to convert Sikhs to their faith. They are already making preparations.

This tragedy will be seen as an opportunity by Christian missionaries to convert Sikhs to their faith. They are already making preparations.

I noticed after the killings most religious communities including the Christians did not make any efforts to support our community. Whenever a place of worship is attacked then all religious communities suffer. Places of worship should be the last place to be attacked. These are places where people feel most safe. Empathy is a suppose to be a quality for a dharmic person yet none of these religions showed any empathy after the attack. This illustrates how GUrmat supersedes all other faiths in a multicultural society.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login