ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Please do ardas. URGENT SITUATION.

Posted by Uttam Singh 
A gurdwara sahib in Wisconsin, USA is under a hostage situation. MULTIPLE GUNMEN ARE CURRENTLY IN THE GURDWARA. Several sikhs and a policeman have been shot. Both adults and children inside. Live coverage currently on CNN (sky 506 in uk)

[oakcreek.patch.com]
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Coverage on Sikh Channel - http://www.sikhchannel.tv/
At least seven people were killed, including the suspected gunman, in a shooting at a Sikh temple in Oak Creek, Wis., south of Milwaukee on Sunday.
According to police, a 911 dispatcher received multiple calls from the temple at approximately 10:25 a.m. local time. An officer who responded to the scene engaged with the suspected gunman in the parking lot. The veteran officer was shot multiple times and is in surgery at Milwaukee's Froedhert Hospital, according to a police spokesman. His condition is not known.
The suspect was "put down" and is presumed dead, he said.
Tactical units conducting a sweep of the 17,000-square-foot temple discovered four bodies inside and three--including the gunman--in the parking lot. There were initial, unconfirmed reports of multiple shooters and a hostage situation, though the police spokesman would not confirm those reports. "We have not identified additional shooters," he said.
A spokesman for Froedtert Hospital said a total of three victims were admitted in critical condition--two with gunshot wounds to the face and one with gunshot wounds to the abdomen. Other area hospitals were told to prepare for as many as 20 victims.
According to NBC's Milwaukee affiliate, a SWAT team entered the temple and were releasing worshipers.

Vaheguroo
Vaheguroo!
read the comment of chrsb who leaves behind Gurdwara...Vaheguru rakha to victims and families..
Vaheguru!

According to some news media, the shooters are not insiders but caucasions which makes this a hate crime. Such an act of terrorism in North America is unthinkable and it may lead to tensions. This may lead to copycat operations by haters and terrorists against the peace loving and the most visible minority - the Sikh community.

Vaheguru Kirpa karan.

Kulbir Singh
Correction for spelling error...i meant this person lives on back of Gurdwara and actually finding humor in our tragedy...Vaheguroo
Such a huge tragedy. This is the biggest tragedy Sikhs have faced in the western world since 9/11. It it best for Sikhs in the US to move to areas where there is a sizable Sikh community. Strength lies in numbers. Most Sikh kids in the US are also victims of bullies because they are such a small yet visible minority. Another reason why one should send their kids to schools where there are more Sikh children. Americans are increasingly tilting towards the right and getting dumber by the day. The nutcase who attacked this Gurdwara probably thought Sikhs are Muslims.
Vaheguroo is reminding Sikhs to be tyar bar tyar with Naam, Gurbani, and Shaastar for Khalsa Raj because kalyug of king babar is here again...in uk it is worst with sikh students committing suicide due to brutal bullying while faculty, and education board do nothing rSingh Ji
This article sums up some of the hate crimes against Sikhs. Sad to see that the press in the UK have given more coverage to Usain Bolt than this tragic event!

Is it not about time that Sikhs also armed themselves with guns in Countries where the Law permits? Along with traditional Shashtar Vidya, Sikhs in these Countries should be training with modern hand held weapons. The need now is more so than ever.
The following people passed away today:

Bhai Seeta Singh (Granthi/Gurdwara Priest)

Bhai Parkash Singh (Granthi/Gurdwara Priest)

Bhai Ranjeet Singh (Raagee / Hymn Singer)

Satwant Singh Kaleka (President of the Gurdwara)

Subegh Singh (Congregation Member)

Parmjit Kaur Toor (Congregation Member)

The following are in critical condition:

Bhai Punjab Singh

Santokh Singh
*Some reports are stating that four suspicious men in dark clothes were seen entering the Gurdwara, not one as being widely circulated. This has yet to be confirmed by authorities.

*Sikh Temple Officials report that they received a suspicious call before the shooting, asking when the temple was busiest.

*Two semi-automatic handguns were found on the scene
Daas has a suggestion,

SGPC/Akal Takht give a lot of siropas and do sanmaan of various politicians/personalities and give "panth rattan awards" to people that do not deserve it. Siropas have been made cheap.

However there is one SOORMA who deserves a SIROPA from the SIKH PANTH and full SATKAAR/SANMAAN. The brave police officers who arrived at the Gurdwara and killed this criminal should be taken to the AKAL TAKHT and be given full satkaar and finiancial aid by the Akal Takht Jathedar on behalf of the entire SIKH PANTH. Does sangat agree with this?

My heads bows down to the bravery shown by the police officers who arrived at the Gurdawara and killed this dusht.

Waheguru ji ka khalsa! Waheguru ji ki fateh!
First and foremost my heart goes out to the Wisconsin sangat. During these difficult times may Sri GUru Ji bless them with the gift of Sikhi. May Sri Guru Ji bless them with the gift of Kesh, Rehat, Bibek, Faith, and the greatest gift of NAAM.

One good quality about the Sikh Sangat is they never forget when they have been persecuted for practicing their faith. Every day in Ardas we are reminded of those Gurmukhs who were: chopped from piece to piece , had their scales removed, bodies crushed on spike wheels, and sawed in half yet they took these tortures willingly.They were more then happy to offer their life. They offered their life but they did not compromise their SIkhi. GurSIkhs in AMerica will never forget yesterdays massacre and the memory of this massacre will only make them stronger. Hard times do not break Gursikhs they make Gursikhs what they are. What racist hick can strike fear in those people whose head is protected by the hand of Sri GUru Baba Nanak Dev Ji Maharaj!

These difficult times remind us of puratan times and how costly it was to be a Gursikh. The Gursikhs had prices on their head, but they were more then happy to offer their head instead of their invaluable SIkhi. Post 9/11, the Sikh community in America have become victims of misguided hate numerous times, but it has made us stronger as a community. The Sikh panth is ONE and when ever it is attacked be it AMerica, or Canada, England or India it will only grow more stronger. Yes its true their are some ungrateful dogs who turn their back on the Guru during difficult times, but for the most part more people become more attracted to SIkhi during difficult times. For example, during the difficulties in Punjab in the 70's and 80's more people started adopting SIkhi and practicing the faith with more devotion. American is no exception. More people in AMerica have adopted SIkhi after 9/11 instead of abandoning SIkhi. I can say through personal example that such trroubling times create opportunities to see the beauty of SIkhi.

I was born in the UK, but I moved to the US when I was around 6 years old. Like many families my parents moved to this country because of the opportunity it offeres. Coming to this country my parents did not delay in assimilating to the AMeican culture. I grew up as AMerican. I walked, talked, thought ,ate, and looked like an American. I would wear the newest desinger brands. Me and my friends would watch AMerican movies and then go and eat meat at AMerican fast food places. I would sing American songs night and day.

9/11 occured during my freshman year in college. When I started college my goal was to live the AMerican dream. I planned on becoming a lawyer so I can make lots of money and buy a big house and have a nice fancy car, but the events after 9/11 completely changed my dreams. Even though I was never taught SIkhi at a young age I still appreciated Sikhi because of the influence of some of my relaitves who practiced SIkhi. When I would hear about the killings of innocent Gursikhs by Americans after 9/11 it get would really disturbed . For the most part Americans did not really care that SIkhs were being killed, and the legal authorities did not show much concern. I would then ask myself basic questions about identity such as do I really want to be American? Am I a Sikh even though I dont practice the religion? Do I belong to any religion? Do I have any security in the next life? These questions lead me on a spiritual journey to find answers to these puzzling questions. The answer to these questions became very disturbing.

I always believed in God, but the truth of the matter is I did not have a religion. I did like going to the GUrdwara because I felt like in most " Gurdwara Sahibs" there was less worship, and more rituals and socializing, and so I started studying other religions, but through the grace of Sri Guru Ji I found my way into Sikhi. SO it was through these difficult times that I became less concered with living the American maydhari dream and more concerned on walking on a spiritual life and making this life successful as a Gursikh. I became more commited to live a simple of Gurmat as opposed to a life lost in maya.

I am sad knowing some people had to be killed in order for others and I to get into SIkhi, but I am glad and hopeful knowing their sacrifices have lead many more to the Gurus path. May Sri GUru JI keep Bhai Seeta Singh (Granthi/Gurdwara Priest), Bhai Parkash Singh (Granthi/Gurdwara Priest) Bhai Ranjeet Singh (Raagee / Hymn Singer) Bhai Satwant Singh Kaleka (President of the Gurdwara) Bhai Subegh Singh (Congregation Member), and Bibi Parmjit Kaur Toor (Congregation Member) close to his charan, and may Sri Guru Ji be with Bhai Punjab Singh, and BHai Santokh Singh during these difficult times.

These difficulit times for the panth are really nothing compared to the times yet to come and prophesized by Sri GUru JI. May we all build our jeevan so high that we can take future difficulties with ease and grace. May our Naam Abhyiaas be so strong that even enemies will turn to friends just by a mere sight.
Im disappointed by the medias coverage over this hate crime. I am glad they have referred to this crime as domestic terrorism this way people will know who the reall terrorist are. It turns out this guy was part of the US army .

There has been a lack of media coverage in educating the people about Sikhi and the events occuring in Wisconsin. For the most part the conservative media outlets such as FOx have been completely quiet . At first the liberal media such as CNN gave us some coverage but now it seems like they have forgotten the tragedy. Ever since the shootings in Colorodo two weeks ago the NRA ( National Rifles Assocation) lobbyist have been trying to prevent media from talking about any incidencts involved with weapons. They are afraid if these issues gain to much public attention then politicians will have no choice but to push congress in making it more difficult to obtain and carry weapons. If this becomes the case then Gursikhs will face additional problems in regards to Kirpan. The right to bear arms will never be removed, but they will probably make it difficult to bear arms in public places.

Hopefully the Sikh community will find other means to educate the people and honor those who lost their lives.
Truly tragic

First there was four shooters then there was only one - am i confused or is there some sort of cover up as the media is just too way too quiet about this - even cnn?
[www.bbc.co.uk]

These kind of images whereby the respectable American flag is being torn in a Sikh protest, are very detrimental. Notice that the person tearing apart the American flag does not have a turban and uncut beard and hair. He is very likely a fundamentalist RSS Hindu and it could very likely be a scheme by them to give bad name to the Sikhs. Sikhs are not stupid and realize that this attack on the Sikh congregation does not reflect the opinion of the vast majority of Americans. Sikhs would never disrespect any country's flag or other holy symbols.

Kulbir Singh
This is true Kublir Singh Jee. Many times you will see such protests in which a handful of Sikhs are infront and main body of protestors are composed of Hindus. They do this to make Sikhs look bad. Examples of such people is MS Bitta. Whenever he carries out his protests he and 1 or 2 Sikhs are in the front making laud noises while nearly 99% of his extremist organization is filled with Hindus. Another recent organization formed by extremist Hindus is "Bhagat Singh Kranti Sena" which is a very pro Hindu and Anti Christian/Muslim/Sikh party. They always put a young misguided turbaned Sikh man in front to give interviews to media persons yet 99% of this organization is composed of by fanatic Hindus. Such organizations make Sikhs really good bad in front of the world.

And the Sikhs who are being used to make us look bad in front of media are either misguided or agents who are being paid. They never speak up for Sikh causes such as getting justice for 84 or Rajoana. But they will scream their lungs out for India and cow rights. They are nothing but "useful idiots" of the Indian government.
I am surprised a respected media outlet such as BBC would post such an image from picture. THe BBC which is based in the UK know very well that Sikhs are not a revengeful people. There should be some type of legal action agaist BBC for posting these images . BBC is one of the most popular media outlets. These images give us a bad name and portray an inaccurate picture of our relgion.
Although one has right to demonstrate sorrows against carnage took place in Wisconsin but above kind of demonstrations with tearing apart the American flag will not achieve any thing instead it will further endangers the Sikh community.

Federal, state and local authorities are very responsive in this shooting rampage. Government and other communities are doing the best to ease the aftermath situation. President Obama is closely watching the situation. Today again he mentioned:

"All of us are heartbroken" by the shootings, President Barack Obama said Monday. If it turns out, Obama said, that the gunman was motivated by the ethnicity of those at the temple, the American people would recoil against that type of attitude.

At the moment majority of the American public is with Sikhs. Do not let RSS malign and misuse the Sikhs to ruin the Kurbani the 6 Shaheeds of Milwaukee Saaka. How we can forgot the heroic role of police officer whose active role saved many lives and killed the dushat. Daas strongly condemn the tearing of American flag.
VAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA, VAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

I swear, whenever you look, he is yelling, shouting, has a sword in his hand or some other aggressive action associated with him and is sent out to make a "scene" in the name of Sikhi. Although, it looks like he is getting older, and possible fatter. There you go folks - the Uncle Tom Sikh.

[www.hindustantimes.com]
[www.indiatodayimages.com]
[mediagallery.usatoday.com]
[www.tribuneindia.com]

National Kaali Daal member (intentional spelling - they sure aren't Akaali). Must be his job to make the Sikhs look stupid in the world media - from the Kesri Dastaar and hazooria to the brandishing of naked swords...good job India in making the image of a rabid animal out to stab everyone with his "sacred sword" - we must all be crazy like him, foaming at the mouth, teeth shining and roaring away in protest rallies, ready to set another country's flag on fire.

How we can forgot the heroic role of police officer whose active role saved many lives and killed the dushat.

No doubt we are indebted to the brave officers who risked their lives in putting an end to this lunatics killing spree. We also shouldnt forget the bravery of the Gurdwara Sahibs pardan. He was killed as he tried to tackle the gunman down.
ms514 Wrote:

VAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA, VAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

I swear, whenever you look, he is yelling, shouting, has a sword in his hand or some other aggressive action associated with him and is sent out to make a "scene" in the name of Sikhi. Although, it looks like he is getting older, and possible fatter. There you go folks - the Uncle Tom Sikh.

[www.hindustantimes.com]
[www.indiatodayimages.com]
[mediagallery.usatoday.com]
[www.tribuneindia.com]

National Kaali Daal member (intentional spelling - they sure aren't Akaali). Must be his job to make the Sikhs look stupid in the world media - from the Kesri Dastaar and hazooria to the brandishing of naked swords...good job India in making the image of a rabid animal out to stab everyone with his "sacred sword" - we must all be crazy like him, foaming at the mouth, teeth shining and roaring away in protest rallies, ready to set another country's flag on fire.

What the hell??? does anyone know who this man is?? is he like the Sikh version of that famous "Islamic rage boy" LOL

Please someone, ask or request SAD, SGPC, DSGPC or who ever you know that carries some influence in India to please have a word with this man. He is very embarrassing for the whole Sikh Qaum, especially the Sikhs in the west.
Received email from local Gurdwara, hindu community would like to pray for Wisconsin sangat at Gurdwara tonight? Nice gesture of kindness, and web news about amitabh sending condolences.
if they really would like us to believe they are genuine, why delay release of innocent Sikhs??
why deny justice to victim families any further, and exchange release of innocent Sikhs for imprisonment of genocide murderers?
Vaheguru sab ko aas hai Teri Satchey Patshah Jio!?
[www.indianexpress.com]

Sword-wielding Sikh emerges hero in US gurdwara shooting

The 65-year-old head of the small US town gurdwara turned out an unlikely hero of the Wisconsin shooting incident as he confronted the 'neo-Nazi' gunman with his kirpan to save dozens of women, children and other worshippers from being shot down.

Sadwant Singh Kaleka's, the head of the Wisconsin gurdwara, unequal battle may not have lasted long as the 40-year-old former US Army 'psy-ops' veteran Wade Michael Page killed him mercilessly by his 9mm handgun.

But his heroism slowed down the racist killer, providing vital moments for women and children to flee the attacker and bolt themselves in rooms round the complex, US media reports said.

The women and children who were preparing meals for the congregation were in direct line of attack of the the gunman, but Kaleka's brave effort to stab Page to slow him down has won widespread acclaim and praise in Wisconsin.

"He turned into an unlikely hero to save the place which he had devoted to build," said Amardeep Kaleka, his son.

"Whatever time he spent in that struggle gave the women time to get cover," he said.

Amardeep said FBI agents hugged him Sunday, shook his hand and said, "Your dad's a hero'' for fighting to the death while protecting others.

"Whatever time he spent in that struggle gave the women time to get cover'' in the kitchen, Kaleka said. One of the women was his mother, who called police using her cellphone while hiding from the gunman.

His nephew Jatinder Mangat said Kaleka was always willing to help out with any job.

"He doesn't care what he's wearing, what he's doing, he'll just be there for you,'' Mangat said. "We used to say 'It's OK, we'll have somebody else do it,' and he'd say, 'No, no, I'll do it,' even if it was a dirty job. He'll do anything.''

Another nephew, Gurmit Kaleka, also spoke of his uncle's willingness to serve.

"He was a great guy who always believed in social service. He was always willing to help anyone who came his way,'' Kaleka said.

Kaleka was widely regarded as the founder of the Oak Creek temple that was attacked by Page, a disgraced former US army soldier and racist, who is widely thought to mistaken bearded and turban-wearing Sikhs for Muslims.

As Kaleka confronted the gunman, Page had already shot at least one person in the temple's car park. He then went on to kill six Sikh worshippers before going back outside to ambush the police when he heard approaching sirens.

The killer was then "put down" in a gunfight after severely wounding one police officer.

Kaleka and his family came to the United States from India in 1982. He built a successful business, and devoted every extra dollar he earned into building the Oak Creek Gurudwara.

Parishioners described him as the kind of man who, if you called him at two in the morning to say a light had gone out at the temple, would be there at 2:15 am to change the bulb.

In stark contrast, Page, 40, was a disgraced soldier, in the army from 1992 to 1998, before being discharged for a "pattern" of misconduct including drunkenness and going Awol.

Pictures show him heavily tattooed. Neighbours said that he had a tattoo commemorating the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks on his right arm, a common indicator of far-Right and anti-Muslim affiliations.

Relatives speak of those killed in Sikh shooting

A religious leader willing to do anything for his beloved, tight-knit Sikh community. A former farmer who left his fields in rural northern India and found a new home at the temple. A joke-telling Sikh priest whose family had just arrived from India. The mother who gave everything of herself for her family and her faith. A pair of brothers who lived together a half a world away from their family to serve as temple priests.

These six were killed Sunday by a former Army soldier at the Sikh Temple of Wisconsin in the Milwaukee suburb of Oak Creek. Here are their stories.

Paramjit Kaur finished her morning prayers, a daily ritual for the deeply spiritual mother of two, and walked into the temple's front hallway Sunday and was fatally shot.

Kaur's friends remembered the 41-year-old wife Monday as sweet, outspoken and devoted to her family and her faith. They said she was also hard-working - spending 11 hours a day, 6 days a week, in production at a medical devices firm in order to provide for her children.

"I'll miss her so much,'' said 42-year-old Manpreet Kaur, who described herself as Paramjit Kaur's closest friend. They are not related.

Manpreet Kaur said that when she gave birth to her son this year, Paramjit Kaur would visit her in the hospital after she got off work, bearing food for the new mom.

"She always knew what I needed and would bring it for me,'' said Kaur, who noted that Paramjit Kaur had been a recent immigrant to the United States when she herself arrived seven years ago.

Co-worker Baljit Kaur, 45, said Paramjit Kaur talked incessantly and was very friendly. She was also very religious, Baljit Kaur said.

"She prayed every day for an hour to an hour and a half, even when she working,'' Baljit Kaur said.

___

Suveg Singh Khattra was a constant presence at the temple. Most days, his son, a taxi driver, would drop him off there to pray.

Khattra and his wife moved to the United States eight years ago to join their son. On Sunday, the 84-year-old former farmer from northern India was shot and killed.

"He don't have hatred for anybody. He loved to live here,'' said son Baljinder Khattra, who moved from the family's farm in Patiala, a city in Punjab, in 1994.

Kulwant Kaur, the elder Khattra's daughter-in-law, hid with the other women in the pantry. When a police commando unit evacuated them, Kaur saw Khattra's body lying on the ground.

She tried to touch him to see if he was awake, but officers warned her not to touch anything, said Kaur's son, Mandeep Khattra.

"They told them to keep moving because they were priorities over the bodies,'' he said.

The elder Khattra spoke no English, communicating instead with neighbors and friends with his hands.

"He (was) very humble. He loved all peoples,'' Khattra said.

___

Prakash Singh's wife and teenage children were living in the temple. Recently, they had moved from India to join the Sikh priest in Wisconsin.

Navdeep Gill, an 18-year-old temple member from Franklin, said Singh had rented an apartment nearby and his family was due to move in by the end of the month. Singh's son and daughter will start school soon; the daughter is in high school and the son is going to be a freshman in high school.

As a Sikh priest, Singh performed daily services, which would have included recitations from the religion's holy book, leading prayers and lecturing on how to practice Sikhism.

Gill said Singh had a fun-loving personality _ "telling jokes and whatnot'' _ and looked nothing close to his age of 39.

___

Ranjit and Sita Singh shared the bonds of brotherhood _ as siblings and as Sikh priests, both in Wisconsin to serve their faith. The rest of their family is in India, left to make sense of their deaths.

Ten years ago, Ranjit Singh, 49, came to the United States for better opportunities. Once here, he made it his responsibility to take care of everyone who visited the temple.

The temple's secretary, 56-year-old Inderjeet Singh Dhillon, said Monday that Singh made sure guests were well fed, even if he couldn't always express it in English. Dhillon remembered an occasion when five English-speaking visitors stopped in and Singh insisted _ using only gestures that made those at the temple who knew him laugh _ on "food for everybody.''

It was the same with Singh's brother, 41-year-old Sita Singh, who had arrived in the United States a year ago. Though Sita Singh was quieter than his brother, he was no less dedicated to the temple's visitors. Both men lived at the temple.

Dhillon said that the younger Singh would wake up every morning between 4:30 and 5 to read the Sikh holy book. Afterward, he would see which visitors had come in and ensure all had prasad, the food offering given at the end of every prayer session.

"It was very important to him that whoever came always left with prasad,'' Dhillon said.

The elder Singh brother became a mentor to some of the temple members, including Shehbazdeep Kaleka, a 19-year-old from Racine and the nephew of the temple president.

Kaleka said Monday that he turned to Ranjit Singh when he was down and needed advice, because Singh was a positive person.

Singh's most common advice to the 19-year-old was to sing and sing loudly _ it didn't matter what or how well _ and that would lift his spirits.

"It worked every time,'' Kaleka said, pausing. "He was a very good and honest man. He didn't deserve to die.''

US Sikhs a small, misunderstood community

Ever since they arrived in the U.S. as farmers and lumber mill workers in the late 19th century, Sikhs have struggled with how little Americans knew about the faith.

In 1907, a mob in Bellingham, Washington, who called Sikhs "the Hindus,'' ran them out of town. (Bellingham officials apologized formally 100 years later.)

Over time, they established themselves in the United States with major temples from Boston to California. Still, they remained a small, often misunderstood community, readily identifiable by their turbans. During the 1970s Iranian hostage crisis, Americans often mistook Sikhs for Iranians. Vandals attacked some temples after the Oklahoma City bombing, committed by white U.S. Army veteran Timothy McVeigh.

So when the Sept. 11, 2001 terror attacks occurred, the Sikh community immediately began organizing, working closely with U.S. Arabs and Muslims on domestic anti-terror policies that respect civil rights.

"When you walk out, all eyes are on you. You get used to it, but it's tough,'' said Vishavjit Singh, a Sikh software engineer from White Plains, New York. "I've had people calling me `Osama' and saying, `Go back home.'''

The massacre Sunday at the suburban Milwaukee Sikh temple left six Sikhs dead and several people wounded, including a police officer who responded to the scene. Authorities have identified the gunman as Wade Michael Page, a 40-year-old Army veteran described by civil rights groups as a neo-Nazi and white supremacist. Police have called the attack Sunday an act of domestic terrorism.

For Sikhs, the attack was the latest _ and worst _ of a string of horrific assaults on their community. Many of the recent attacks have been outright hate crimes. Others remain unsolved.

Just four days after the 2001 attacks, Balbir Singh Sodhi, a gas station owner in Mesa, Arizona, was shot and killed by a man who mistook him for a Muslim and was seeking revenge. Last year, a New York City subway worker and Sikh, 30-year-old Jiwan Singh, was assaulted on a train and accused of being related to Osama bin Laden. His son had been attacked two years earlier. In Elk Grove, California, a Sacramento suburb, two Sikh men were fatally shot last year during an afternoon walk. No one has been charged with the crimes.

Sikhs leave their hair uncut and covered by a turban as outward demonstrations of and reminders of their faith. For the same reasons they carry a small ceremonial dagger, called a kirpan.

"They are identifiable. Both Muslims and Sikhs are visible minorities,'' said Diana Eck, a Harvard University professor and director of The Pluralism Project. "Both have been subject to misapprehension and targeting as a result of ignorance and prejudice.''

As early as the 1990s, Sikhs in Washington and other major cities began organizing, building relationships with leaders of other faiths, Eck said. But after the Sept. 11 attacks, Sikhs around the country reached out with more urgency. Like American Muslims, they organized open houses at their places of worship.

The Sikh Coalition, a New York-based civil rights group, formed about one month after the attacks from a volunteer effort to protect members of the community. The group has since reported more than 700 hate crimes and has fielded hundreds of complaints about unfair treatment at airports. In April, the coalition unveiled a free mobile application, FlyRights, which allows travelers of all backgrounds to complain immediately to the government if they feel they've been treated unfairly by airport screeners.

The coalition and another group, the Sikh American Legal Defense and Education Fund, have been taking on cases of Sikhs who say they have been pressured by employers to stop wearing their turbans on the job. In June, the White House held what is believed to be the first briefing on Sikh civil rights.

It's a significant effort for a group that remains a tiny minority in the United States. Of the 27 million Sikhs worldwide, the majority live in India, where the religion was established in the 15th century.

The exact number of Sikhs living in America is not known. Estimates range from 200,000 to 500,000. Many left their homes in the agricultural Punjab province, known as the breadbasket of India, and arrived first in the West and Pacific Northwest in the late 1800s.

The first major temple was built in 1912 around Stockton, California, but like other immigrants, Sikhs were not allowed to bring their spouses to the United States, which restricted their numbers. When President Lyndon Johnson eased immigration quotas in the 1960s, Sikhs began arriving in larger numbers with their families. Temples were built around Boston, Chicago and other parts of California.

Yet, no matter how established they felt in the United States, many Sikhs felt misunderstood. In recent years, many young Sikhs have cut their hair or worn baseball caps instead of turbans to avoid standing out. Vishavjit Singh, cut his hair for years, but has returned to the faith and now wears a turban.

"What is amazing, even 10 years, 11 years after 9/11, most Americans don't know who Sikhs are,'' Singh said. "That scares me.''

Pic of Bhai Punjab Singh jee who was shot by Neo-Nazi, he is in critical condition. Please do Ardas
Presidential Proclamation--Honoring the Victims of the Tragedy in Oak Creek, Wisconsin

BY THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

A PROCLAMATION

As a mark of respect for the victims of the senseless acts of violence perpetrated on August 5, 2012, in Oak Creek, Wisconsin, by the authority vested in me as President of the United States by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, I hereby order that the flag of the United States shall be flown at half-staff at the White House and upon all public buildings and grounds, at all military posts and naval stations, and on all naval vessels of the Federal Government in the District of Columbia and throughout the United States and its Territories and possessions until sunset, August 10, 2012. I also direct that the flag shall be flown at half-staff for the same length of time at all United States embassies, legations, consular offices, and other facilities abroad, including all military facilities and naval vessels and stations.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this sixth day of August, in the year of our Lord two thousand twelve, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and thirty-seventh.

BARACK OBAMA
[www.whitehouse.gov]
This tragic and sad incident has brought something which we sikhs were not able to do from so many years. From last three days every US based internet news portal ( Let it be CNN, FOX and NPR) has covered this extremely well. These shaheeds have educated masses on *Who are Sikhs?* .

The media in India never cover Sikhs in good limelight, they always have agenda but with this tragic incident even they have been forced to cover this in good limelight.

When American flag is flown half-staff that is a indication of national tragedy, I don't remember a single instance when this kind of honor was given to Sikhs ever in India. The Sikhs who were protesting outside US embassy in Delhi might not even have noticed that flag was half-staff in all the US embassies of the world.

I believe this sad incident has given us the opportunity to edcate masses on Sikhism and also not forget to do ardas of the victims of Wisconsin Gurdwara Shooting.

Vaheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa
Vaheguroo Jee Kee Fateh
maha_paapi jeeo - each of your words above are 110% correct - brillantly mentioned.
i found that CNN did a very good job on covering the incident.
They got a singh from sikh coalition to come and talk and he did a good job on answering their quesiton about sikhi.

Also the Gora from the CNN belief blog did a very good job on exaplaining what sikhi is, when he was the asked that question from the anchor of CNN.

Explainer: Who are Sikhs and what do they believe?
VahegurooJeeKaKhalsa,
VahegurooJeeKiFateh,
Reading about Sikh victims, all true gems of Gurujio (just look at angelic face of Bhai Punjab Singh Jee) brings tears internally, and externally, and also, to humbly request Satchey Patshaj Jee to help us understand His cause for this tragedy...kran karan sab ek hai..(a thought immediately flashed in my mind, so we remember Him svaas svaas, as death is inevitable, and could occur anytime)
Bhul chuk muaf
VahegurooJeeKaKhalsa,
VahegurooJeeKiFateh,
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login