ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

accepting degh

Posted by bhai 
accepting degh
July 10, 2012 09:56AM
if somone keeps bibek and they dont accept degh after ardass at the gurdwara sahib is that a paap?

i remember reading a rehatnama a long time ago thats that states that the sangat should accept degh and not consume until everyone has recieved it ansd also shouldnt get up and go until this happens...but i dont remember if this correct so it would be better if someone could post it online(sukhdeep singh)?
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: accepting degh
July 10, 2012 12:21PM
I dont remember any rehat that states one should consume degh only after everybody has received degh. All I can remember is their are high standards in preparing degh. The person must be Rehatvan gursikh and they must do full ishnaan. They must also be wearing bana when preparing degh, and the premisis around the cooking should be completely clean. Degh must first be offered to Panj Pyaarey. Degh must also be prepared in Sarab Loh.

If one is keeping bibek diet then I consider it a paap to eat degh at most of the gurdwara sahibs we see today. Most gurdwara sahibs do not follow any standards of preparing and distrubiting degh. They allow non gursikhs to bring " degh" from their home and mix it with the gurdwada degh. the person preparing degh does not even wake up for amrit vela or even do their nitnem. The degh is made in non sarab loh batey and distrubuted in steel. The person giving degh does not give to panj first and does not hand out deg equally because the local sangat are too picky in the amounts of degh they want to consume. If they ask for a little and you give them a little they get mad if they ask for alot and you give them alot then they get mad. In the past people would accept what was given and they would keep their mouth shut. Nowadays people treat degh like its fast food. They ask for a cup so they can take degh for their family. Degh is sacred and comes from Sri Sach Khand it should stay in the darbar sahib . If someone cant make efforts to come to the Gurdwara Sahib then they shouldnt get degh. Degh is given to those attendants who come to listen and sing gurbani.
July 11, 2012 12:14PM
Sukhdeep Singh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Degh is sacred and comes from Sri
> Sach Khand it should stay in the darbar sahib . If
> someone cant make efforts to come to the Gurdwara
> Sahib then they shouldnt get degh. Degh is given
> to those attendants who come to listen and sing
> gurbani.

This may offend some population but this is So True. One cannot have medal without attending olympics.

Bhul Chuk Maaf.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh.
July 11, 2012 12:32PM

This may offend some population but this is So True. One cannot have medal without attending olympics.

Maryada should not be loosened as a means to prevent people from being offended. Degh is made in Sarab Loh and it stays in Sarab Loh. Who are we to take deg in a plastic cup or napkin just so we can give it to our loved ones. Degh is not some snack or fast food take out.
July 11, 2012 07:26PM
I personally haven't thought about it deeply but I agree with Veer Sukhdeep Singh for the most part. Except for some exceptions e.g. medical condition etc., only the Samagam attendees deserve to get Degh.

Kulbir Singh
July 18, 2012 04:07PM
Gurbani says we should not break anyone's heart but at the same time a Gursikh who keeps a particular Rehat would not want to compromise it.

Some possible ways to follow a middle way in where unnecessary negativity and a clash could be avoided are..

1) Accept Degh and then discreetly give the Degh to the person next you (if you know them and they know and your Rehat) making sure its not made into a big scene. OR accept the Degh, discreetly keep Degh closed in your hands, and when you leave the Darbaar, you can either give the Degh to a family member or someone else who will happily eat it.

2) Another thing I have seen is that Gurmukhs just keep their eyes closed and immerse themselves in the Keertan, Katha or just keep 'mast' within themselves with eyes closed. Usually the person distributing Degh doesn't disturb them and moves on.

3) When Degh is being distributed, you could stand up and help out to distribute it yourself, or you could do another seva like Chaur Sahib or help tidy up the Darbaar Sahib.

4) Make Degh yourself according to Maryada and inspire and educate people through leading by example through sincerity, humility and pyaar.

Being rude and disrespectful should always being avoided. Elder Gursikhs always advise to keep Rehat discreet sometimes to avoid unneccessary negativity and for one to always keep a positive but humble and sincere attitude.

Vahegurooo
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login