ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Why Ninda is good sometimes

Posted by Kulbir Singh 
Siri Bhagat Kabir jee has written the following Gurbani Pankiti:

ਨਿੰਦਉ ਨਿੰਦਉ ਮੋ ਕਉ ਲੋਗੁ ਨਿੰਦਉ ॥ ਨਿੰਦਾ ਜਨ ਕਉ ਖਰੀ ਪਿਆਰੀ ॥
(Slander me, Slander me O people Slander me. Slandering is very dear to the Servant).

Someone asked as to why Siri Bhagat Kabir jee has praised Ninda and why is Ninda so important for Gursikhs. Here's what was written on this subject sometime ago:

Why did Bhagat Kabir jee want to get slandered? Here is what comes to the mind but these are just conjectures:

1) Ninda keeps one's haume in check. When only Ustat (praise) happens, there is a chance that one's haume would get inflated. True seekers of Vaheguru care not about Ustat or Ninda. They know that both of these actions are happening in this false world and for this reason have no bearing on the actuality of things.

2) Ninda makes one vigilant and one is more careful of making mistakes.

3) Ninda happens because of some bad Karma. Ninda is a cheap way of burning one's bad Karma. This world is a false place i.e. not real. The slandering that occurs here has no bearing in the real place i.e. the Dargah. 'Nindak hamre kapre dhoye' literally means that the Nindak at the cost of incurring sins, washes away our sins.

4) Many times, when the nindak crosses limits, the Gurmukhs take refuge in the Naam of Vaheguru. It prompts them to japp Naam with more vigour. So Ninda being a form of dukh (sorrow), acts as the fuel to burn the lamp of Naam. Gurbani says: ਨਿੰਦਕੁ ਗੁਰ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਤੇ ਹਾਟਿਓ ॥ ਪਾਰਬ੍ਰਹਮ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਭਏ ਦਇਆਲਾ ਸਿਵ ਕੈ ਬਾਣਿ ਸਿਰੁ ਕਾਟਿਓ ॥੧॥ Nindak stops with the kirpa of Guru Sahib when Vaheguru cuts off the bad habit of the Nindak of doing Ninda.

This above is what comes to mind. There could be more reasons too that other Gurmukhs should post. What was in the Sarbag (immortal) mind of Bhagat jee, only they know. We are making guesses only.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh

More thoughts would be welcomed.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Vaheguru! Great thoughts Bhai Sahib I think you hit the nail on the head. Another reason that Ninda is good is because it makes you realize that only Vaheguru is on your side. It hurts most when our own brothers engage in our Ninda, but this only makes Gurbani all that more real for us.

ਹਰਿ ਬਿਨੁ ਕਉਨੁ ਸਹਾਈ ਮਨ ਕਾ ॥

Preetam Singh
I remember hearing these verses for the first time a couple weeks ago in the Gurdwara Sahib. The raagis were singing these extremely beautiful verses.

I remember sometime ago somebody was saying that when when the nindak does ninda of somebody they incur their sins. They quoted a different pangti fromt the one Veer Kulbir SIngh Ji has. I cannot remember the pangti rite now.

Personally I agree that the verses relate to the statement
1) Ninda keeps one's haume in check. When only Ustat (praise) happens, there is a chance that one's haume would get inflated. True seekers of Vaheguru care not about Ustat or Ninda. They know that both of these actions are happening in this false world and for this reason have no bearing on the actuality of things.
From my limited understanding, nindya has maximum positive affect on the "victim" of nindya if he/she is a Naam Rasiya Gurmukh. Their remaining minor negative karams this way get washed away. However if the victim of nindya is just any ordinary person who is already a victim of Kaljugi Maya, then he/she doesn't benefit spiritually a whole lot from his/her nindya, although his/her sins do get automatically transferred from his/her account to the nindak's account.

Vaheguru jee's banking software is so advanced! It has vice recognition feature! You utter nindya and your account is credited with some other person's paap karams!

SatGuru Patshah jeeo, bachaa lao!
Sorry I meant voice recognition feature, not vice. Please correct any mistakes as I don't have much gyaan on this.

However if the victim of nindya is just any ordinary person who is already a victim of Kaljugi Maya, then he/she doesn't benefit spiritually a whole lot from his/her nindya, although his/her sins do get automatically transferred from his/her account to the nindak's account.

I too remember hearing this somewhere but I cant remember. There was a specfic pangti which shows how the nindaks eat the sins of the victim. I cant remember the verse perhaps you know which verse Im referring too? I know its not the same one which was previously quoted "Nindak hamre kapre dhoye"
Re: Why Ninda is good sometimes
June 28, 2012 10:23PM
on the contrary i thought it was never good to do it: read on ::

ਨਿੰਦਾ ਭਲੀ ਕਿਸੈ ਕੀ ਨਾਹੀ ਮਨਮੁਖ ਮੁਗਧ ਕਰੰਨਿ ॥ ਮੁਹ ਕਾਲੇ ਤਿਨ ਨਿੰਦਕਾ ਨਰਕੇ ਘੋਰਿ ਪਵੰਨਿ ॥੬॥: Nindaa bhalee kisai kee naahee manmukh mughad karann. Muh kaale tin nindkaa narke ghor pavann ||6||: It is not good to slander anyone, but the foolish self-willed Manmukhs still do it. The faces of the slanderers turn black (bad name), and they fall into the horrible hell ||6|| (sggs 755).

The Gurbani asks us to form a partnership for sharing in Virtues by abandoning our faults. However, the slanderer can neither share in goodness nor abandon his faults. It is like a serpent's venom; it destroys his body, nature, and personality.

ਨਿੰਦਕੁ ਐਸੇ ਹੀ ਝਰਿ ਪਰੀਐ ॥ ਇਹ ਨੀਸਾਨੀ ਸੁਨਹੁ ਤੁਮ ਭਾਈ ਜਿਉ ਕਾਲਰ ਭੀਤਿ ਗਿਰੀਐ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ ਜਉ ਦੇਖੈ ਛਿਦ੍ਰੁ ਤਉ ਨਿੰਦਕੁ ਉਮਾਹੈ ਭਲੋ ਦੇਖਿ ਦੁਖ ਭਰੀਐ ॥ ਆਠ ਪਹਰ ਚਿਤਵੈ ਨਹੀ ਪਹੁਚੈ ਬੁਰਾ ਚਿਤਵਤ ਚਿਤਵਤ ਮਰੀਐ ॥੧॥: Nindak aise hee jhar pareeai. Ih neesaanee sunahu tum bhaayee jiou kaalar bheet gireeai ...: O Brother, listen: This is the distinctive sign of a slanderer — he collapses like a wall of saltpetre. Thus, the slanderer crumbles away (from his spiritual Life - ਆਤਮਕ ਜੀਵਨ - in other words, his habit of slandering is like saltpetre to his spiritual Life). When the slanderer sees a fault in someone else, he is pleased. Seeing goodness, he is depressed. Twenty-four hours a day, he plots (to harm someone), but nothing works. (Even if he cannot succeed in his planning) the evil man dies, constantly thinking up evil plans. ||1|| (sggs 823).
A janitor spends his time in inspecting and cleaning filth of others; then he loads it up and carries on his head. A slanderer is a self-appointed Bhangee (janitor) who finds faults in others and then, by engaging in gossip, ill speaking, and backbite, carries the load of their trash (sins) on his own head. In the process, he simply ends up turning his own body, mind and intellect into a "trash basket" for the sins of others. Very appropriately, the Gurbani equates slanderers to a sweepress (inner - ਅੰਦਰ ਦੀ ਚੂਹੜੀ ).

ਕੁਬੁਧਿ ਡੂਮਣੀ ਕੁਦਇਆ ਕਸਾਇਣਿ ਪਰ ਨਿੰਦਾ ਘਟ ਚੂਹੜੀ ਮੁਠੀ ਕ੍ਰੋਧਿ ਚੰਡਾਲਿ ॥: Kubudhi doomanee kudaiaa kasaain par nindaa ghat choohree muthee krodhi chandaali : Evil-mindedness (within a person is as) the she-drummer; cruelty (within a person is as) the butcheress; slander of others (within a person is as) the sweepress, and deceitful anger (within a person is as) the outcast- or pariah-woman (sggs 91) .
ਨਿੰਦਕੁ ਨਿੰਦਾ ਕਰਿ ਮਲੁ ਧੋਵੈ ਓਹੁ ਮਲਭਖੁ ਮਾਇਆਧਾਰੀ ॥: Nindak nindaa kar mal dhovai oh malbhakh mayadhaaree: By slandering, the slanderer washes other's filth (filth of others Bikaars, filth of the bad actions they commited, etc.), (but in the process he - ਮਾਇਆ-ਵੇੜ੍ਹਿਆ ਮਨੁੱਖ) the worshipper of Maya (himself becomes used to) eating the filth (of others) (sggs 507).
These verses make it clear that the calamity is of the slanderer, not of the slandered. As such, slanderers are considered to be very beneficial for their victims! It is the slanderer, for example, who helps his victims become purified and ultimately liberated. Slanderers are thus said to clear the way of devotees for emancipation. In the process, however, slanderers rot and waste away in repeated suffering.
ਐਸੇ ਝੂਠਿ ਮੁਠੇ ਸੰਸਾਰਾ ॥ ਨਿੰਦਕੁ ਨਿੰਦੈ ਮੁਝੈ ਪਿਆਰਾ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ ਜਿਸੁ ਨਿੰਦਹਿ ਸੋਈ ਬਿਧਿ ਜਾਣੈ ॥ ਗੁਰ ਕੈ ਸਬਦੇ ਦਰਿ ਨੀਸਾਣੈ ॥: Aise jhooth muthe sansaaraa. Nindak nindai mujhai piaaraa. Jis nindahi soee bidhi jaanai. Gur kai Sabade dar neesaanai: Such is the falsehood (worthless activities, corrupt thinking, ਝੂਠੇ ਵਿਚਾਰ, etc.) that's plundering the worldly people (of their spiritual life - ਆਤਮਕ ਜੀਵਨ ਅਜੇਹੇ ਲੁਟਾ ਰਹੇ ਹਨ ਕਿ ਇਹਨਾਂ ਨੂੰ ਇਹ ਸਮਝ ਹੀ ਨਹੀਂ ਪੈਂਦੀ). The slanderer slanders me, but even so, I love him (because, by doing so, he takes my sins upon himself). ||1||Pause|| He alone knows the Way, who has been slandered. Through the Shabad, he is approved at the God's Doors (he keeps the Lord's Name in his heart - ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਦੇ ਨਾਮ ਨੂੰ ਉਹ ਆਪਣੇ ਹਿਰਦੇ ਵਿਚ ਵਸਾਂਦਾ ਹੈ) (sggs 1330).
ਟੂਟੀ ਨਿੰਦਕ ਕੀ ਅਧ ਬੀਚ ॥: Tootee nindak kee adhbeech: The slanderer is destroyed in mid-stream (i.e, his life goes wasted uselessly, etc.) (sggs 1224).
ਨਿੰਦਕਿ ਅਹਿਲਾ ਜਨਮੁ ਗਵਾਇਆ ॥ ਪਹੁਚਿ ਨ ਸਾਕੈ ਕਾਹੂ ਬਾਤੈ ਆਗੈ ਠਉਰ ਨ ਪਾਇਆ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ ਕਿਰਤੁ ਪਇਆ ਨਿੰਦਕ ਬਪੁਰੇ ਕਾ ਕਿਆ ਓਹੁ ਕਰੈ ਬਿਚਾਰਾ ॥: Nindak ahilaa janam gavaaiaa. Pahuch na saake kaahoo baatai aagai thaour n paaiaa ...: The slanderer loses his life in vain. He cannot succeed in (comparing himself with saints); in the world hereafter, (because of slandering habit) he finds no place at all. ||1|| Pause|| Such is the fate of the wretched slanderer (because of his past slandering activity) — what can the poor creature do (for the slanderer cannot refrain from his slandering conduct)? (sggs 380).
A body scorched with fire develops blisters. With his own words, a slanderer constantly scorches his inner psyche; making his psyche blister with his habit and conduct of slandering. By making slandering his intimate habit, he brings him repeated shame and pain; here and hereafter. In the love of duality, he thus sleeps in the ignorance of his True Being (Joti-Svaroopa).
ਨਿਰਵੈਰੈ ਨਾਲਿ ਜਿ ਵੈਰੁ ਰਚਾਏ ਸਭੁ ਪਾਪੁ ਜਗਤੈ ਕਾ ਤਿਨਿ ਸਿਰਿ ਲਇਆ ॥ ਓਸੁ ਅਗੈ ਪਿਛੈ ਢੋਈ ਨਾਹੀ ਜਿਸੁ ਅੰਦਰਿ ਨਿੰਦਾ ਮੁਹਿ ਅੰਬੁ ਪਇਆ ॥ ਜੇ ਸੁਇਨੇ ਨੋ ਓਹੁ ਹਥੁ ਪਾਏ ਤਾ ਖੇਹੂ ਸੇਤੀ ਰਲਿ ਗਇਆ ॥: Niravairai naal ji vair rachaae sabh paap jagatai kaa hin sir laiaa. Os agai pichhai dhoee naahee jis andar nindaa muh amb paiaa. Je suinae no ouhu hath paae taa khehoo setee ral gaiaa: The one who hates the one who has no hatred, will bear the load of all the sins of the world on his head. The slanderer will find no shelter here or hereafter. The slander of others is like a mango in the mouth of the sladerer (he keeps sucking on it). If gold comes into his (slanderer) hands, it turns to dust (i.e., whatever he does goes in vain, etc.) (sggs 307).
Slanderer can be likened to a person who, standing on a tree-branch, smilingly cuts down the tree! He falls down headfirst. The habit of slandering thus brings manifold calamity unto the slanderer. Because of the "craziness" he has adopted, his life becomes unstable like a "wall of sand", he drowns himself and his generation. Cast into the hellish cycle of reincarnation, he loses his realm and power; he finds no salvation at all; and he eats only that which he himself has planted. As the Gurbani says, he is worse than a thief, a lecher and a gambler; who finds no happiness. Now, is there any wisdom in slandering and carrying the loads of sins of others for nothing?
ਗੰਧਣ ਵੈਣ ਸੁਣਹਿ ਉਰਝਾਵਹਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਲੈਤ ਅਲਕਾਇਆ ॥ ਨਿੰਦ ਚਿੰਦ ਕਉ ਬਹੁਤੁ ਉਮਾਹਿਓ ਬੂਝੀ ਉਲਟਾਇਆ ॥੨॥ ਪਰ ਧਨ ਪਰ ਤਨ ਪਰ ਤੀ ਨਿੰਦਾ ਅਖਾਧਿ ਖਾਹਿ ਹਰਕਾਇਆ ॥: Gandhan vain sunahi ourajhaavahi naam lait alakaaeiaa. Nind chindhkaou bahut oumaahio boojhee oulataaiaa ||2|| Par dhan par tan par tee nindaa akhaadh khaahi harkaaiaa: (O foolish man) listening to the evil talk, you are caught up in it, but you are hesitant to chant the Naam, the Name of the Lord. You are delighted by slanderous talk; your understanding is corrupt. ||2|| You (steal) others’ wealth; You (covet) others’ wives; you slander others; and you eat the uneatable (ਤੂੰ ਹਲਕਾਇਆ ਹੋਇਆ ਪਿਆ ਹੈਂ ਤੇ ਉਹੀ ਚੀਜ਼ਾਂ ਖਾਂਦਾ ਹੈਂ ਜੋ ਤੈਨੂੰ ਨਹੀਂ ਖਾਣੀਆਂ ਚਾਹੀਦੀਆਂ), you have gone crazy (sggs 402).
ਨਿੰਦਕੁ ਮੁਆ ਉਪਜਿ ਵਡ ਤਾਪੁ ॥੨॥ ਤਿਨਿ ਮਾਰਿਆ ਜਿ ਰਖੈ ਨ ਕੋਇ ॥ ਆਗੈ ਪਾਛੈ ਮੰਦੀ ਸੋਇ ॥੩॥: Nindak muyaa upaj wad taap||2||. Tin maariaa je rakhe n koi. Aagai paachhai mandee soi ||3||: The slanderer died after contracting the deadly fever of slander. ||2|| He is (spiritually) killed by God (ਆਤਮਕ ਮੌਤੇ ਮਾਰ ਦਿੱਤਾ), and no one can save him. Here and hereafter, his reputation is evil ||3|| (sggs 199).
What is the source of this demoniac habit? If we conduct Spiritual-inquiry (Shabad-Vichaar) as recommended in the Gurbani and ask: "Who is it that craves for slandering? Whose temptation is it?" All pointers will lead to only in one direction: the false ego-sense (Haumai). In other words, slandering is the characteristic of the egoism (Haumai). Inflated ego gives rise to corrupt intellect (thoughts), deluded mind (feelings), and defiled senses.
ਜਨ ਨਿਰਵੈਰ ਨਿੰਦਕ ਅਹੰਕਾਰੀ ॥ ਜਨ ਭਲ ਮਾਨਹਿ ਨਿੰਦਕ ਵੇਕਾਰੀ ॥ ਗੁਰ ਕੈ ਸਿਖਿ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੂ ਧਿਆਇਆ ॥ ਜਨ ਉਬਰੇ ਨਿੰਦਕ ਨਰਕਿ ਪਾਇਆ ॥੬॥: Jan nirvair nindak ahankaaree. Jan bhal maanahi nindak bekaaree ... : The Lord's humble servant has no vengeance. The slanderer is egotistical (i.e. full of Bikaars like vengeance, etc.). God's humble servant wishes well, while the slanderer dwells on evil (conduct, intent, thinking, etc.). The Sikhs of the Guru meditate on the True Guru (they keep their mind attuned to the Shabad). The Lord's humble servants escape (from this hell of slandering, etc.), while the slanderers keep themselves in this hell. ||6|| (sggs 869).
ਮਨਮੁਖ ਹਉਮੈ ਮਾਇਆ ਸੂਤੇ ॥ ਅਪਣਾ ਘਰੁ ਨ ਸਮਾਲਹਿ ਅੰਤਿ ਵਿਗੂਤੇ ॥ ਪਰ ਨਿੰਦਾ ਕਰਹਿ ਬਹੁ ਚਿੰਤਾ ਜਾਲੈ ਦੁਖੇ ਦੁਖਿ ਨਿਵਾਸੀ ਹੇ ॥੧੫॥: Manmukh haumai maya soote. Apnaa ghar na samaalahi ant vigoote. Par nindaa karahi bahu chintaa jaalai dukhe dukh nivaasee he ||15||: The self-willed Manmukhs are asleep (i.e., unaware of the ultimate purpose of life, etc.) in egotism and Maya. (From Bikaars) They do protect their own Homes (Heart etc,), and are ruined in the end. They slander others, and burn in great anxiety; they always live in pain and suffering ||15|| (sggs 1049).
Slandering is a disease of the instinctive mind which always floats in the externalities of the material world. In love and attachment to Maya, one loses his understanding of the matter and Spirit. Maya is the root of false ego, the cause of man's present troubles. In its risen condition, false ego plays through the senses and sees the world of names and shapes. Mind free to escape through the corrupt senses becomes subjected to perversions such as lust, anger, greed, attachment, pride, jealously and stubborn mindedness. Such abnormal use of mind gives rise to desire and fear, worry, doubt, anxiety, nervousness, and wrath. One of the manifestations of these destructive modes is the symptom of slander.
ਅੰਤਰਿ ਲੋਭੁ ਫਿਰਹਿ ਹਲਕਾਏ ॥ ਨਿੰਦਾ ਕਰਹਿ ਸਿਰਿ ਭਾਰੁ ਉਠਾਏ ॥ ਮਾਇਆ ਮੂਠਾ ਚੇਤੈ ਨਾਹੀ ॥ ਭਰਮੇ ਭੂਲਾ ਬਹੁਤੀ ਰਾਹੀ ॥੨॥ ਬਾਹਰਿ ਭੇਖ ਕਰਹਿ ਘਨੇਰੇ ॥ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਬਿਖਿਆ ਉਤਰੀ ਘੇਰੇ ॥ Antar lobh phirahi halkaaye. Nindaa karahi sir bhaar uthaaye ...: They slander others and carry loads of sin (slander) upon their heads. Intoxicated by Maya, they do not think of the Lord. Deluded by doubt, they go astray in many ways. ||2|| Outwardly (to look pious and to impress others), they wear various religious robes, but within, they are enveloped by poison (of Maya). (sggs 372).
ਅਹਿਨਿਸਿ ਨਿੰਦਾ ਤਾਤਿ ਪਰਾਈ ਹਿਰਦੈ ਨਾਮੁ ਨ ਸਰਬ ਦਇਆ ॥ ਬਿਨੁ ਗੁਰ ਸਬਦ ਨ ਗਤਿ ਪਤਿ ਪਾਵਹਿ ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮ ਬਿਨੁ ਨਰਕਿ ਗਇਆ ॥੪॥ ਖਿਨ ਮਹਿ ਵੇਸ ਕਰਹਿ ਨਟੂਆ ਜਿਉ ਮੋਹ ਪਾਪ ਮਹਿ ਗਲਤੁ ਗਇਆ ॥ ਇਤ ਉਤ ਮਾਇਆ ਦੇਖਿ ਪਸਾਰੀ ਮੋਹ ਮਾਇਆ ਕੈ ਮਗਨੁ ਭਇਆ ॥੫॥ ਕਰਹਿ ਬਿਕਾਰ ਵਿਥਾਰ ਘਨੇਰੇ ਸੁਰਤਿ ਸਬਦ ਬਿਨੁ ਭਰਮਿ ਪਇਆ ॥ ਹਉਮੈ ਰੋਗੁ ਮਹਾ ਦੁਖੁ ਲਾਗਾ ਗੁਰਮਤਿ ਲੇਵਹੁ ਰੋਗੁ ਗਇਆ ॥੬॥: Ahinas nindaa taat praaee hirdai Naam na sarab daiaa ...: (O mortal) day and night, you are jealous of others and slander others; in your heart, you have neither the Naam, nor compassion for all beings. Without the Shabad, you will not find salvation (spiritual Life - ਉੱਚੀ ਆਤਮਕ ਅਵਸਥਾ) or honor (here and hereafter). Without God’s Name, you are in hell (ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਦੇ ਨਾਮ ਤੋਂ ਖੁੰਝ ਕੇ ਤੂੰ ਨਰਕ ਵਿਚ ਪਿਆ ਹੋਇਆ ਹੈਂ ). ||4|| In an instant,(for the sake of Maya) you change into various costumes, like a juggler; you are entangled in attachment and sin. You gaze here and there upon the expanse of Maya; because you are intoxicated with attachment to this Maya. ||5|| You act in corruption, and put on ostentatious shows, but without awareness of the Shabad, you have fallen into confusion. You suffer great pain from the disease of egotism. Following the Gurmat, you will be rid of this disease ||6|| (sggs 906).
The impurity of the mind is greed (ਮਾਇਆ ਦੀ ਭੁੱਖ), the impurity of the tongue is falsehood, the impurity of the eyes is to gaze upon the beauty of another man’s wife and his wealth, the impurity of hands is to perform ungodly acts, and the impurity of feet is to walk on ungodly path. Similarly, the impurity of the ears is to listen to the slander of others. In other words, both the slanderer and the listener are equal partner in this false trade.
ਨਿੰਦਕ ਕਉ ਫਿਟਕੇ ਸੰਸਾਰੁ ॥ ਨਿੰਦਕ ਕਾ ਝੂਠਾ ਬਿਉਹਾਰੁ ॥ ਨਿੰਦਕ ਕਾ ਮੈਲਾ ਆਚਾਰੁ ॥ ਦਾਸ ਅਪੁਨੇ ਕਉ ਰਾਖਨਹਾਰੁ ॥੧॥ ਨਿੰਦਕੁ ਮੁਆ ਨਿੰਦਕ ਕੈ ਨਾਲਿ ॥ ਪਾਰਬ੍ਰਹਮ ਪਰਮੇਸਰਿ ਜਨ ਰਾਖੇ ਨਿੰਦਕ ਕੈ ਸਿਰਿ ਕੜਕਿਓ ਕਾਲੁ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥: Nindak ko fitake sansaar. Nindak kaa jhootaa biouhaar. Nindak kaa mailaa aachaar. Daas apune ko raakhanahaar ||1|| Nindak muaa nindak kai naal. Paarabraham paramesar jan raakhe nindak kai sir karrakiou kaal ||1|| Rahaaou ||: The entire world curses the slanderer. False are the dealings of the slanderer. The slanderer's lifestyle is filthy and polluted. The Lord is the Saving Grace and the Protector of His humble servants (protect them from falling into Bikaars like the slanderer). ||1|| The slanderer dies (from spiritual standpoint - ਆਤਮਕ ਮੌਤ) with the rest of the slanderers. The Supreme, Transcendent Lord, protects and saves His humble servant. Death (from spiritual standpoint - ਆਤਮਕ ਮੌਤ) constantly roars over the head of the slanderer. ||1||Pause|| (sggs 1151).
ਮਿਥਿਆ ਸ੍ਰਵਨ ਪਰ ਨਿੰਦਾ ਸੁਨਹਿ ॥: Mithiaa saravan par nindaa sunai: False are the ears which listen to the slander of others (sggs 268).
A slanderer in the Gurbani is compared to a Manmukh (material being) who hates holiness (Aatam-Giaan...). As such, he is the embodiment of evil instincts, who wanders around in doubt and duality. As a result, he practices excessive indulgences and falsehood. He cannot meditate (Jap or Naam-Simran), because his mind is filthy and polluted — deep within, it is soiled and stained by the love of Maya. Such mind cannot attain perfection or intuitive understanding of the Gurbani, for its intellect is dimmed by material contamination. Tossed by the waves of Bikaar, it suffers in pain. As paper breaks down and dissolves in water, the slanderer wastes away in delusion. Such cynics chase after the mirage of Maya, and end up wandering in the desert of material existence. Thus, the life of a slanderer becomes useless; he comes and goes in shame.
ਆਪਸ ਕਉ ਬਹੁ ਭਲਾ ਕਰਿ ਜਾਣਹਿ ਮਨਮੁਖਿ ਮਤਿ ਨ ਕਾਈ ॥ ਸਾਧੂ ਜਨ ਕੀ ਨਿੰਦਾ ਵਿਆਪੇ ਜਾਸਨਿ ਜਨਮੁ ਗਵਾਈ ॥ ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮੁ ਕਦੇ ਚੇਤਹਿ ਨਾਹੀ ਅੰਤਿ ਗਏ ਪਛੁਤਾਈ ॥੩॥: Aapas kaou bahu bhalaa kar jaanahi Manmukh mati n kaaee ..: The Manmukhs see themselves as being very virtuous; they have absolutely no understanding at all. They indulge in slander of the Holy people; they waste their lives away, and then they have to depart. They never meditate on God’s Name, and in the end, they depart, regretting and repenting ||3|| (sggs 601).
The Gurbani does not approve of slandering of anyone in any circumstances; no matter how compelling it may seems to slander someone. This is the Gurbani's position. There is no "if", "but", "this" and "that". Why is the Gurbani so adamantly against slandering? As discussed earlier, it is not the Mool (Source, Jot...), rather it is the deluded ego that craves for slandering. Destruction of this false ego is the purpose of human life, not other way around. Trying to justify slandering is like falling into the coal-pit; again and again, and then try to shake the body off!
To a Spiritually Wise (Gurmukh), what is bad is a good, and what is good is a good! The Gurbani disapproves of slandering because there is no such thing as good-or-bad. Such concept of duality or doubt arises in false ego only. In Pure Consciousness, there is no good; there is no bad. Therefore, the Gurbani asks us to throw out the false concept of good-and-bad along with a lot of other phony ideas. In Pure Consciousness, Mool, there do not exist a Higher State of Consciousness or a lower state of consciousness; for it is just One Homogeneous Oneness.
ਉਸਤਤਿ ਨਿੰਦਾ ਕਰੇ ਕਿਆ ਕੋਈ ॥ ਜਾਂ ਆਪੇ ਵਰਤੈ ਏਕੋ ਸੋਈ ॥੨॥: Ustat nindaa kare kiyaa koee. jaa aape vartai eko soee ||2||: (O mate, now I know that) the One God Himself is pervading and permeating all (slanderers and non-slanderers alike), (now) either praise or slander by anyone has no effect on me ||2|| (sggs 1128).
ਨਿੰਦਉ ਨਾਹੀ ਕਾਹੂ ਬਾਤੈ ਏਹੁ ਖਸਮ ਕਾ ਕੀਆ ॥: Nandayu naahee kaahoo baatai eh khasam kaa keeaa: Don’t indulge in slander for any reason, for everything is the creation of God (sggs 611).
ਹਮ ਨਹੀ ਚੰਗੇ ਬੁਰਾ ਨਹੀ ਕੋਇ ॥ ਪ੍ਰਣਵਤਿ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਤਾਰੇ ਸੋਇ ॥੪॥੧॥੨॥: Ham nahee change buraa nahee koi. Pranavat Nanak taarae soi ||4||1||2||: (one who eradicates love of maya, egotism, etc., and same time thinks) I am not better (than others) and no one is bad (than me); Prays Nanak, God ferries him across (the dreadful ocean of Bikaars) ||4||1||2|| (sggs 728).
A crane spreads his feathers to look like a swan; but he can never become a swan. Similarly, the existence of a slanderer is like a wall of sand; his hollowness comes into the open within no time. The moment he speaks with his mouth, he is exposed and driven out. In other words, he tastes his own medicine and suffers. As fruits of his own actions, he inflicts severe misery upon himself; here and hereafter. This is the edict of the scriptures.
ਨਿੰਦਾ ਕਹਾ ਕਰਹੁ ਸੰਸਾਰਾ ॥ ਨਿੰਦਕ ਕਾ ਪਰਗਟਿ ਪਾਹਾਰਾ ॥: Nindaa kahaa karahu sansaraa. Nindak kaa pargat paahaaraa: O people of the world, why do you indulge in slander? The emptiness of the slanderer (emptiness of all his religious activities, etc.) comes in the open (sggs 875).
Renounce the urge for "the slander of others", thunders the Gurbani. The godly souls and scriptures teach us to leave behind all mental perversions and become carefree. They urge us to break the chains of doubt, and remain affectionately unattached. They roar this rare life is meant to seek the Mool within, not contradicting the world around. The worldly truth is based on relativity, however, the Absolute Truth is self-existence (Saibhang). As such, nothing is hidden from the All-pervading Divine Presence, which is beyond all worldly conditioning and impurity. The Gurbani asks us to seek that Truth. But, seeking Truth requires turning the mind inward by detaching it from externalities of worldly existence. Not easy at all!

What is the cure? The instinct for slandering exists because of inflated false ego-sense (Haume). Once the false ego-sense is thinned out, many evil urges such as slandering will lose their grip on us. False ego arises from ignorance of the Mool within (absence of the Divine Knowledge, Aatam Giaan). Since the ego-sense is false, so are its branches such as slandering, conflicts, jealousy, and so on. Accordingly, a Spiritually Wise person (Gurmukh) will renounce all cravings and temptations for slandering. Instead, he will attach his love to his Mool only, because everything is in Mool and the Mool is in everything. For that to happen, the Gurbani recommends Shabad-Vichaar.

ਪਰਹਰਿ ਲੋਭੁ ਨਿੰਦਾ ਕੂੜੁ ਤਿਆਗਹੁ ਸਚੁ ਗੁਰ ਬਚਨੀ ਫਲੁ ਪਾਹੀ ਜੀਉ ॥: Parhar lobh nindaa koor tiaagahu sach gur bachnee phal paahee jeeou: Let greed and slander be far away from you, and renounce falsehood; through the Gur-Shabad, you will obtain (within) the true fruit (Amrit) (sggs 598).
ਛੋਡਿਹੁ ਨਿੰਦਾ ਤਾਤਿ ਪਰਾਈ ॥: Shodihu nindaa taat paraaee: Abandon slander and envy of others (sggs 1026).
I think the word Ninda has two aspects positive and Negative.
What Ninda Bhagat Kabir Ji is refering to is a Ninda with Positive aspect thru which any one is made cautious of about one is
required to do.
Whereas in most of the Quotes the word Ninda is the reference for its negative aspect and Such Ninda is
always harful and is to be avoided . For negative aspect of Ninda one can look at a Quote from Gurbanee
as

"Ninda Bhali Kisi Kee Naahi Manmukh Mugudh Karann."

So there is a clear warning for Ninda of Negave aspect.

Bhul Chuk Maaf

Daas

Prakash.S.Bagga
The other day I came across a beautiful rehatnama about Ninda which reminded me of this post. Sri Guru JI states
ਸਭਨਾਂ ਰੋਗਾਂ ਕਾ ਦਾਰੂ ਨਾਮ ਹੈ ਅਤੇ ਨਿੰਦਕ ਕਾ ਦਾਰੂ ਕੋਈ ਨਹੀ
Naam is the remedy for all diseases and ( but) there is no remedy for the slanderer.
Bhai Nand SIngh Sakhee

Waaheguru...... what a powerful statement!

The above rehatnama explains how Ninda is a disease. Many diseases are contangious especially Ninda. WHen someone does ninda on someone then usually the victim retaliates back with Ninda. SO perhaps BHagat Kabeer Ji is resorting to praising the Nindak instead of retaliating. The same way Sheikh Farid Ji says do good to those that do bad to us.

ਫਰੀਦਾ ਜੋ ਤੈ ਮਾਰਨਿ ਮੁਕੀਆਂ ਤਿਨ੍ਹ੍ਹਾ ਨ ਮਾਰੇ ਘੁੰਮਿ ॥
ਆਪਨੜੈ ਘਰਿ ਜਾਈਐ ਪੈਰ ਤਿਨ੍ਹ੍ਹਾ ਦੇ ਚੁੰਮਿ ॥੭॥
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login