ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Is it fair?

Posted by preet kokri 
Is it fair?
May 06, 2012 05:23AM
This selfish sinner accidentally got chance of missing some meals and of eating less than usual. In those two days the focus on simran increased. Toda i knowingly tried this and results are positive. So i wanna ask is it fair to leave food and sleep sometimes to get more absorbed in our prayer chain.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Is it fair?
May 06, 2012 06:50AM
I confess my prayers now in these days are for selfish purposes.
May 06, 2012 07:26AM
ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਹਮਾਰਾ ਭੋਜਨੁ ਛਤੀਹ ਪਰਕਾਰ ਜਿਤੁ ਖਾਇਐ ਹਮ ਕਉ ਤ੍ਰਿਪਤਿ ਭਈ ॥
The Lord's Name is my food; eating the thirty-six varieties of it, I am satisfied and satiated.

Gurmukhs don't really need to eat food, we eat to live not live to eat.

Perhaps you have reached such an avastha where you don't need Bhojan? Naam is your Bhojan.
May 06, 2012 08:07AM
No. It's not. Dont put patthe (fodder) before this dangar(animal).
May 06, 2012 08:57AM
If eating a little bit less is beneficial, then eat less. However, please make sure you eat enough to be fit and healthy..
Milk/dairy, fruit, vegetables, pulses, nuts and seeds are very important for a healthy balanced diet and for a healthy body.
If we look after our sareer and if we are healthy, we can jap naam.
But until you reach the avastha where you do not need sustenance in the form of food, please eat healthily and eat enough so that your body functions effectively.
smiling smiley
May 06, 2012 10:52AM
Ya. You may be true. Body feels pains and tired. And week then. But it's true that focus increases. But more strange is this that even work more and less than normal diet, waist line not decreasing. Instead i feel that i'm getting fat.
May 06, 2012 01:19PM
The reason that you feel lethargic, is because you are not eating enough. It is very unhealthy to deprive yourself of food. Your body will start to retain fat because it thinks you are starving, and you will lose muscle mass which is very valuable. Once you start eating properly again, you will gain a lot of weight, fat specifically if you are not weight training. So please make sure you are eating enough. If you eat the right food, and stay away from processed rubbish, your body will feel light and energetic. Fruit and vegetables are essential.
May 06, 2012 07:29PM
So fruits should be added. But i like these pains. When any pain or fatigue occurs, it pulls towards baba ji. I mean hor hor prayers jan simran ch involve hon da man karda.. Anyway i'll add fruits now on. Other products i daily use. And one thing, if possible answer please. My legs are not weak, i mean i've even the capacity of doing sit ups on one leg. But when it comes about chaukri mar k baithna, i'm unable to sit more than half hour. What'd be done?
May 06, 2012 07:45PM
Preet Kokri jee,

It is against Gurmat to inflict pain on your body to induce bhagti. The hindu sadhus would sit right beside a fire in the hot months to make their bhagti fruitful, but all of there attempts led to them being engrossed even more in maya.

While it is good that when in pain you are remembering Vaheguru, you should not be inflicting this pain upon yourself. If pain comes in the bhana of Vaheguru then we should use that as fuel to do bhagti, same way as we should be doing bhagti at all times.

If you are able to discipline yourself to skip meals and ignore hunger than I would suggest you keep more rehit instead. Take Amrit if you have not done so already, wear the 5 kakkars and do your nitnem. Stay away from the Bajjar Kurrehits and keep a strict pehra of Sarbloh Bibek as well as take out daswand. You will see your concentration go even higher than it does now and you will attain many high spiritual levels. There is no need to indulge in Aanmat practices like fasts and inflicting pain on the body. There is enough disciple in Gurmat that will get you Darshan of Vaheguru jee and without following Gurmat we cannot get mukhti.

In regards to the not being able to sit long enough, it just takes practice and discipline. Keep sitting longer without moving your legs everyday with small increases in time. If you keep at it then you should see a very good improvement pretty fast.

Preetam Singh
May 06, 2012 08:36PM
Ok gi. I'll end this practice slowly. My all prayers are for selfish purposes. I have to violate marji of my relatives if i take pahul, i surely'll but after gettin economically independent. Better for me to be in sehaj than to daily break the rehat. Sarab i cant openly use for certain reasons. Til the day i be independent.
May 09, 2012 01:39PM
The only time one should starve themselves is when there is no bibeki food available to eat, or no way of washing one's hands before eating. Other than that, there is no need to inflict pain on the body to increase one's desire to do bhagti. This only harms the body in the long run, and you might feel like it helps for a little while, but after time it has a damaging toll on the body. An elderly Singh always tells me that "Food and Sleep" are our friends, not our enemies. If we indulge them in the right amount, than it is better for our bhagti. If we misuse them. sleep too little/too much or eat too little/too much than they they become our enemies, and have a negative affect on our bhagti.
For sure Starving is not part of the Sikh Principles, but on the other side if you feel that by eating less and simple, one can sit in Simran for longer hours, listen Gurbani/PAATH for more time, then I would say there is nothing bad in it. Guru Sahib knows the reasons of doing this.

For example if you plan to listen to PAATH in AKHAND PAATH Sahib for 10-12 hours, you defintely cant sit after eating 10-12 ALOO Pranthas. There would be a stage when Surti of Gurmukhs is so high that their physical body doesnt effect their DHIYAN but in Initial Stages there would always be reasons to eat less and as per needs to keep the body fit and fine for Bhagti/Activeness.

Vaheguru jee ka Khalsa Vaheguru jee kee fateh!
May 09, 2012 03:08PM
fatehh

Veer Sahib Singh:

Good Post and nice example ! smiling smiley
May 09, 2012 04:55PM
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh Preet Kokri Ji,
I agree with Sahib Singh Ji too, barosa is what one would require, if you have the peace of mind, and strict discipline, which is what I am attempting to overcome with Naam, and Gurbani Keertan with every opportunity/ free time, I have.
Processed food (which I am guilty of sometimes) is truly cause of all body ailments, so taking simple home cooked food, along with hot lemon juice (to clear myself of waste, as well as detoxify/ lose weight (http://krizzyla.blogspot.com/2011/01/top-10-health-benefits-of-lemon-juice.html), since green tea (which I used to take for same purpose as lemon juice) does have taste of tobacco too.
Also, I notice Sikh (from Punjab) recipes require use of heavy gheo, and sugar, which I would discourage, as especially when one gets older, the body is unable to dispose of excess harmful effects of food/ food ingredients taken too much of. So try to even reduce salt, and baking versus frying food, wash vegetables, and fruits thoroughly with warm (I even use dishwashing liquid), then cold water to remove pesticides residue, that I read somewhere is a health threat on USA vegetables, and fruits, causing serious health concerns.
Sab Gobind Hai par Naam bina sab jhoot...
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh
May 09, 2012 06:01PM
...Waheguru Ji, just a quick addition to above...be sure to buy your own lemons, and honey, to make lemon juice. More healthy, as well as less costly than store bought juice; that usually contain preservatives.
Another healthy food ingredient, Castor oil, thanks to what I discovered from this forum, is an excellent substitute for cooking, and even baking (if you can find one that does not affect taste) >[www.homeremediesweb.com]
Stretching exercises for waist (standing with feet at shoulder width, bring arms at shoulder level, fold hands in front of your chest, then twist as far left, coming back to front, pause, and same twist to right)...walking, and jumping jack (jump with legs and arms spread like butterfly as you jump). Arm stretches like bending elbows, and stretch arms to left, right, up, down; helps to remove arm fat.
Cleaning one's home, doing laundry by hand, or take deep SATNAM WAHEGURU, EK OM KAR SATGUR PARSAD, SATGUR PARSAD breaths in early morning, and where air is not polluted, benefits spiritual, and physical health.
Smiling, and laughing, being carefree is also a good health tip.
Bhul chuk muaf
May 09, 2012 07:56PM
when Preetam Singh ji and others advised to use fruits etc, i used them too much and hot smiley then i'm to sleep more. actually it was my mistake. it's true that eating a bit less than requirement is good. but full rejection of meals is not good on daily basis. sometimes in need or in mood, 1 or2 meals can be omitted. rest u know better, experienced ones.
May 10, 2012 02:18PM
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh Preet Kokriji,
I have big issue with too much sleep (from eating too much, due to love for food or inability to accept my predicament), and over-eating (but thanks to Waheguru, weight in control due to lemon juice, for now?).
My sister informed me once that eating before 6pm is not only healthy, keeps weight in control, but enable one to get up early? But getting to bed early, another issue I have to improve on if I love Gurujio enough to not take advantage of His great kindness, and mercy upon me any longer.
May 10, 2012 04:39PM
...bhul chuk muaf to above, i meant eating after 6pm is not healthy
May 10, 2012 06:56PM
ks Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh Preet
> Kokri Ji,
> I agree with Sahib Singh Ji too, barosa is what
> one would require, if you have the peace of mind,
> and strict discipline, which is what I am
> attempting to overcome with Naam, and Gurbani
> Keertan with every opportunity/ free time, I
> have.
> Processed food (which I am guilty of sometimes) is
> truly cause of all body ailments, so taking simple
> home cooked food, along with hot lemon juice (to
> clear myself of waste, as well as detoxify/ lose
> weight
> (http://krizzyla.blogspot.com/2011/01/top-10-healt
> h-benefits-of-lemon-juice.html), since green tea
> (which I used to take for same purpose as lemon
> juice) does have taste of tobacco too.

Green tea does not have a taste of tobacco - it is prodcued differently and picked differently get your facts right:

[en.wikipedia.org]
May 10, 2012 07:13PM
I confess within these days i'm reducing or doing late nitnem(morning). At any cost i've to be free from nitnem at 5am. Waking time was 2am. But now wake after 4am. May be baba ji'll mehar from tomorrow on.
May 11, 2012 02:01PM
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh ns44jio,
I concur with your post, as green tea has not only kept my weight down, but relieved me of severe sinus migraines.
But so is green tea supposedly pure, and free of tobacco, but I will not doubt Bhai Sahib Bhai Randhir Singhjio, when He said tea has tobacco, although the western world maintains is purity, just as most food we consume today...Sikhs are supposed to abide by distinct Hukam of Gurmat Maryada (though I am only taking baby steps)?>
[en.wikipedia.org]
Bhul chuk muaf
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login