ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bibi Dalair Kaur story - Help needed

Posted by Harmeet Singh 
WaheguroojikaKhalsaWaheguroojikiFateh!!

WIth Guru Sahib's kirpa and with help of many Gursikhs, I have been trying to write picture story books for kids on the Shaheed Singhnis and started with the story of Dalair Kaur as available on many sites (e.g. [www.esikhs.com]). The original story is claimed to have been written by Karam Singh in his book Adarshak Singhnia which is almost impossible to find. We are able to get hold of one copy of the book from SGPC library but the veerji who got the book didn't find the story in there.

However in the story it is mentioned that "Wajir Khan took up the challenge and rode into the fort with his men. Khalsa Lionesses attacked them from every corner and he dropped dead to the ground." However historically we know that Wajir Khan was killed by Bhai Baaj Singh during the battle of Sirhind. Earlier I thought that it could be other Wajir Khan but soon realize that it was Wajir Khan of Sirhind who attacked Anandpur Sahib along with Jabardast Khan.

Can someone provide more information on this story and if they have read any original version, whether it is mentioned that Wajir Khan was killed or he got injured?

WaheguroojikaKhalsaWaheguroojikiFateh!!
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
I am pretty sure that Wazir Khan died in May of 1710 at Chappar Chiri by Banda Singh Bahadur's army. Maybe this detail was just a mistake while translating the story into English.

Even the death of Wazir Khan has a few different stories attached to it. Some places I have read that he was captured alive and then killed and in some places it is written that Baaj Singh was the one to kill him in battle. The problem is that our history is not very well preserved, and relies greatly on oral history, so there are various different stories to the same event.

It seems most probable that the Sikhs with Bibi Dalair Kaur killed Wazir Khan's army rather than Wazir Khan himself. It would be a great help if anyone actually has a copy of the original story. Was the story of Bibi Dalair Kaur not in the book at all?

Preetam Singh
Thank you Bhai Preetam Singh Jeeo for the reply, it is helpful. I haven't seen the book myself yet but the person who got it said that there was no Bibi Dalair Kaur Story in the Adarshak Singhnia book. I have asked the copy so will confirm when I receive it and whether the book is the right one and if story is there in it or not.

However in the story, Bibi Dalair Kaur's army had been continuously killing Wazir Khan Soldiers and it is specifically mentioned that he accepted the challenge and rode to the fort, so I am assuming that he dropped injured to the ground is more suitable winking smiley Please let me know what you think is more appropriate as I need to make decision soon smiling smiley

Anyone else who has read some history of that time, please share your view what looks right and more appropriate, we can go with Sangat's view and mention that the story is fictionalized based on true story smiling smiley
I think that it is most important to try to find an original copy of this story. If we just decide to fill in the gaps ourselves then we would be creating one more different story where our history is already filled with enough inovations as it is. I implore you to wait till someone can find the original copy of this story. If even the original has this detail in it then there can be veechar done about what to do from that point onwards.

Preetam Singh
Thanks again, I have been trying to find the original book since last 1 year without success and hence couple of months back started working with English versions available online. Since one singh mentioned that he got the copy, so I will wait to confirm if the story is in there. I definitely want to get the story presented in original form.

Also there is a book called Bahadur Daler Kaur by Charan Singh Shaheed (Shaheed is his poetry name) which my parents got it in India and they say that the story is completely different and seems to be of some other Daler Kaur as there is no mention about Anandpur sahib or Wazir Khan and the story is completely different at different time.

Request to the sangat here that if they are able to find the original book "Adarshak Singhnia" by Karam Singh, please share what you find. Also if you get any other info on Dalair Kaur who defended the Anandpur Sahib fort when Guru Sahib left, please share.
I checked with Punjab Digital Library chandigarh and they have few pages of that book (not sure which all stories). However they want to get the full book before they digitalize. Can anyone who lives close by help to visit their office and have a look at the available pages to see the story of Bibi Dalair Kaur?
Update: Finally with the help of some Gursikhs, we managed to get hold of the copy of original book and I read through the entire original story. There is no mention of Wajir Khan or Jabardast Khan in the book, but instead Mughal commander and deputy commander is mentioned and the commander was killed. So I am following the same story line and have commander and deputy commander mentioned in the story.
That is great news Harmeet Singh jee. I would love to read your picture book when it is done. Please do share with the sangat.

Preetam Singh
Veerjee, please provide us with updates on the progress of your book. Several years back, a friend and I put together a short anthology of sakhian written by children and youth. Our approach was the one you were considering before - allowing slightly fictionalized versions of historical events... basically allowing the kids to use their imaginations to describe the details as they might have taken place.

Although fictional literature is good too (like Bhai Vir Singh jee's), personally I'm very thirsty for literature on our real history, especially our gursikh matamaan bhainna. I was amazed at the stories I read from the translated work of Karam Singh online. Please share whatever you can from your research on this forum.
The book is almost ready with just the cover picture left. I have created a webpage to try it before getting the original copy published. Checkout the book at www.sikhstorybooks.com and let me know if there are any major updates I shall consider before getting the book published.
The website is updated with the latest version of the book which will be published soon. www.sikhstorybooks.com

Thanks for all the help and advice.
waheguroojeekaakhalsaa
waheguroojeekeefatehjee smiling smiley

Bhai Harmeet Singh Ji ...we students of gurmat class (NewDelhi) got " Bibi Daler Kaur" book !! smiling smiley
we all read that book together ....its a brilliant book, Bhaisaab Ji you and "Vismaad" with there animated pictures have did great work.thumbs up
....m sure many more books on such hidden Shahid Singhs/Singhnis are on the way.

Ravinder Singh
Nice to know that students of Gurmat class( [gurmatclass.org]) are visiting these beautiful sites. Guru Sahib kirpa karan ji...

Daas
Sewadar- Gurmat Class
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login