ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

hurdles while prayers

Posted by preet kokri 
hurdles while prayers
April 14, 2012 08:01PM
since last few days i'm facing a problem during prayers. since from the time of waking thoughts start running in mind. even unable to focus on prayers. sometimes i so engrossed in them that after some minutes i realize that i'm praying and that also when i repeats the last lines of a prayer. what may be the solution. if u need to know anything more that'll help in it, u can ask. just trying to be a sikh.
gurpreet singh.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: hurdles while prayers
April 15, 2012 10:54AM
Bhai gurpreet singh, this discussion came up yesterday with another singh and he told me this happens to majority of people in the beginning. We start japjee sahib and focus on mool mantar and maybe a couple more pauris and then we dont even realize we're doing paath until the very last pauri comes. The reason this happens is because the mind is trying to trick you...it lets the tongue do the speaking and then it goes and wanders off somewhere. The only solution is to just keep doing your paath and simran and just try to focus the mind, the focus will come by itself eventually you just have to keep going. You can also try doing naam abhyaas inside your mind during the day, just keep repeating Vaheguru and focus will build.
Vaheguru Jee Ka Khalsa Vaheguru Jee Ki Fateh
April 15, 2012 01:14PM
You should also practice doing these banian in your surth throughout the day (i.e. no using your rasna to do the paath). Doing paath in surthee helps increase concentration.

Also, alot of people are vehemently against this, but increasing the speed that you do paath with (at least in surthee) helps increase concentration. Try doing the paaths faster and faster so you can do a lot more in a shorter period of time. Because alot of times doing paath too slowly totally kills your focus, even if you're only doing it to focus more.
April 15, 2012 01:14PM
heres an example

When a parent tries to give their child medicine, sometimes the child runs away and starts crying but eventually the parents are able to catch the child tie them down and put the medicine into thier mouth to make them better from whatever sickness they have.

Just like that when you do paat your mind is full of so much filth that it does not want to recieve the medicine(gurbani) instead it rather wants to stay in that filth because thats whats it is used from so many janams, so it starts to run around in all direction but eventually with consistent effort to recite baani you will tie down your mind and then stop it from wandering by making it take the medicine(gurbani) and letting it have its effects to cure yourself
April 15, 2012 07:48PM
Ok g. I'll try this way. Prayers without using body part n continuous recitation ful day. And i'll ask within some weeks if this problem still resists.
April 16, 2012 12:13AM

Ok g. I'll try this way. Prayers without using body part n continuous recitation ful day. And i'll ask within some weeks if this problem still resists.

i was just using an example to explain a point that our minds are chanchal(waver a lot) because they are filled with so much filth, and that it enjoys taking in poisin, when you tell it to take in amrit(gurbani) it gets frightened and runs away in all direction(meaning that you start having random thoughts) so the only what make it stop wondering around is to consistent in your nitnem etc.

i did not mean that you are not supposed to use your body parts! you can excerise and stand up while doing paat too...excerise actually helps to concentrate more....
April 16, 2012 02:03AM
Gurpreet singh ji you are not alone, I am also with you on the same boat and honestly millions of others (whether they accept or not) are facing same hurdles....

One Gyani Ji said, "When person makes an attempt towards Gurbani, then Gurbani makes 'n' number of attempt towards that person." So come what may keep doing Nitnem and Gurbani will catch hold of you soon.

Gyani Ji also said to do Paath/Nitnem slowly but this did not works for me at this moment. Basically Gyani Jee's point is to not only read Bani but also do Vichaar (of each Shabad) as you keep reading the Bani.

My problem is that at this moment I have not done complete "Aarth" of Nitnem so I am not able to understand meaning of each Shabad. Hence, the "Mann" starts wondering while doing Nitnem slowly.

I feel the benefit of doing Nitnem/Paath slowly is only when the pesron has done/knows full "Aarth" of the Nitnem/Paath.

I have noticed when I do Nitnem fast the "Mann's" frequency of wondering is drastically reduced. Many Singh Ji are opposed to this. But this works for me at this moment.

Guru Jee will do kripaa and everything will be alright.

Bhul Chuk Maaf.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh.
April 16, 2012 02:09AM
ik gal hai man vich aayi, samjh ni aundi kiven karan dhanvad soda sarian da. te eh forum organiser da. it is matchless. it is not false praise.
April 16, 2012 03:37AM
Gurpreet singh ji pls dont call me g. i'm nothing. no bibek, n no morning kesi ishnan. at very low level. i swear on my life if it is a lie.
April 16, 2012 06:22AM
Daas do not see any harm with Ji or Jee.
If we do not have respect for our own Sikh brothers and sisters then who else will. First we all should learn to respect each other within the Panth itself (then the rest of world will follow) irrespective of Low Level or High Level. Guru Jee decideds the Level smiling smiley

Bhul Chuk Maaf.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh.
April 16, 2012 10:28AM
VAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA, VAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

Sakhi possibly with the sixth Patshahi (please correct any errors):

Ones, Gursikhs asked Guru Sahib that we do Paath over and over, but it does not stick in our minds (no life changing big moments). What shall we do? Guru Sahib said I will provide you a response at a later time. While the same Gursikhs were accompanying Guru Sahib, they noticed something shiny on the ground. Guru Sahib told them to pick it up, which they did. Guru Sahib asked what it was, the Gursikhs stated that it is a piece of an old clay pot. Guru Sahib asked why does it shine so brilliantly? They responded that the pot was used to store gheo, so after years of holding gheo, the gheo leached into the clay and became a part of it. Guru Sahib said there is the answer - that if you keep doing paath, it will leach into your body, mind and soul and make you radiant as well. That is the importance of doing paath.

Yes, your mind will wander and do stupid things...but if Gurbani is known as Paaras Kalaa - the power to transform anything to gold - then whatever Paath that is done will bear fruit. Do Ardaas for Guru Sahib to restrain the monkey-mind.
April 16, 2012 11:07AM
ok
MS514

Sakhi possibly with the sixth Patshahi (please correct any errors):

Even though there really is no difference I think the Sakhi comes from Sri Guru Har Rai Sahib JI not Sri Guru Hargobind Sahib JI.

Preeti
since last few days i'm facing a problem during prayers. since from the time of waking thoughts start running in mind. even unable to focus on prayers. sometimes i so engrossed in them that after some minutes i realize that i'm praying and that also when i repeats the last lines of a prayer.

A persons level of concentration heavily depends on ones karma. If we cant concentrate properly then its due to bad karma. The more we obey Guru Jis commandments (hukums) the more this bad karma gets destroyed and concentration comes more easier as we follow Guru Jis hukums. Concentratoin does not come over night it takes lots of hard work and discipline especially in this Kaljug.

The more we make recitation of Gurbani a routine the more concentration we get. SOmetimes we are just satisified with reciting panj bania in the morning and rehras in the evening. If we strive for more recitation of AMrit Bani along with Naam Abhyiaas then our concentration gets stronger. One of the purposes of sadh sangat is to have sangat who encourage us to merge in Gurbani. Practicing concentration in Sadh Sangat who obeys GUru Jis hukums is the best method of strengthening concentration.

Another thing is Veechar. My mind wanders most during Jaap Sahib because the meanings are harder to understand. WHen we dont understand GUru Jis message the mind begins to wonder much more. If we try to listen to GUru Jis message carefully and contemplate what GUru Ji is saying then the mind wanders less. If we recite bani without trying to contemplate its meanings then there is less emotion for GUrbani.

Most of all Love is essential in concentrating in prayers. The fish loves water without water the fish cannot survive. THe Moth loves light so much that it offers its life to the light. If we have the same emotion ( love ) for Guru Ji then concentration will come automatically. But if we love other things then concentration is very hard.

ਸੁਣਿਆ ਮੰਨਿਆ ਮਨਿ ਕੀਤਾ ਭਾਉ ॥
ਅੰਤਰਗਤਿ ਤੀਰਥਿ ਮਲਿ ਨਾਉ ॥
April 19, 2012 02:34PM
This issue is two fold one is here below - sahaj - the other is breathing and the way to breathe while doing prayers - naam simran - here is the first part:

Sahaj (ਸਹਜ) and restlessness are diametrically of the opposing nature: they are antonyms. Both indicate two different and contrasting states of the mind. In a nutshell, Sahaj (ਸਹਜ) indicates the Natural State of Being (Joti-Svaroopa, ਗਿਆਨ ਅਵਸਤਾ...) — Intuitive, Simple, Spontaneous State of Being...

Symptoms of Sahaj are: Celestial or Intuitive Peace, Intuitive Poise, Equipoise, Natural or Peaceful Ease, Intuitive Wisdom, Understanding, undivided abidance in Shabad-Naam, Realization of the Truth, lightness and clarity of the mind, Inner Perfection, Inner Composure, all-round Purity, Quiet, Spiritual Silence (Sunn Samaadhi), Egolessness, Desirelessness, Love, compassion, contentment, humility, harmony, Joy; the sublime state of the Tenth Gate, Chauthaa Pada, Turiyaa Avasthaa, Anand (Bliss), Sahaj Samaadhi, Sukh-Aasan, Divine Lifestyle, ਆਤਮਿਕ ਅਡੋਲਤਾ, and so on). By the way, these are also symptoms of the Gurmukh (the follower of the Truth and truthful living, Spiritual Being established in Unconditioned or Intact or Saabat Consciousness, etc.).

ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਬਿਗਸੈ ਸਹਜਿ ਸੁਭਾਇ ॥: Gurmukh bigsai Sahaj subhhaai: The Gurmukh (Spiritual Being) blossoms forth throught Sahaj (sggs 1173).
ਮਨੁ ਤਨੁ ਹਰਿਆ ਸਹਜਿ ਸੁਭਾਏ ॥ ਨਾਨਕ ਨਾਮਿ ਰਹੇ ਲਿਵ ਲਾਏ ॥: Manu tanu hariaa sahaj subhaae. Nanak naam rahe liv laae: The mind and body become rejuvenated through Sahaj (ਆਤਮਕ ਅਡੋਲਤਾ, ਆਤਮਕ ਜੀਵਨ). (Of those who) O Nanak! Remain absorbed in the Naam (sggs 1173).
ਬਾਬੀਹਾ ਤੂੰ ਸਹਜਿ ਬੋਲਿ ਸਚੈ ਸਬਦਿ ਸੁਭਾਇ ॥ ਸਭੁ ਕਿਛੁ ਤੇਰੈ ਨਾਲਿ ਹੈ ਸਤਿਗੁਰਿ ਦੀਆ ਦਿਖਾਇ ॥: Baabeehaa toon Sahaj bol sachai Sabad subhaai. Sabh kish terai naal hai satigur deeaa dikhaai: O rainbird (of the mind - O amorist or lover of the drop of rainwater of the Lord's Name thar bestows spiritual life - ਹੇ ਆਤਮਕ ਜੀਵਨ ਦੇਣ ਵਾਲੀ ਨਾਮ-ਬੂੰਦ ਦੇ ਰਸੀਏ!), by being established in Sahaj (Intuitive Poise, Natural state of Being - ਆਤਮਕ ਅਡੋਲਤਾ ਵਿਚ ਟਿਕ ਕੇ), attune to the True Shabad, with love, engage in Naam-Simran. Everything (Bliss, etc., that emanates from the drop of the Lord's Name) is within you; (but only that person realizes it to whom) the Satguru has shown this (sggs 1420). (Note: a bird called Baabeehaa is said to be an amorist of the first drop of the rainwater, and cries out for it!).
To the contrary, restlessness is an unnatural state of being: indicative of the burning flame of Haume (ਆਪਾ ਭਾਵ, ego, love or hunger of Maya, etc.) within, sense-bent mind (pleasure seeking), mind's turbulent wanderings (Phurne) and unsteadiness, bondage through involvement ("Panch" or "five": lust, anger, greed, attachments, etc.) selfish desires or passions, confused state, illusioned state, deluded state, the Manmukhtaa or material consciousness (believing that materiality is Reality, etc.), rat-race, lack of understanding, Mayaic mind, instinctiveness, Taalaabeli, Chanchal, Dhaatur Baajee, Utha Chaltaa, Dhaavat, Dhaat, Naataa, Vikshepa, Lahree or tossing, and so on. The mind's restlessness is caused by our identification with the world of plurality (Maya, Duality or Doojaa Bhaav) and our wrong assumptions that we can gain unending satisfaction or happiness from it. In other words, if the mind was given the freedom to do what it wanted only constant restlessness would result as a result of its unrestrained wanderings in ten directions.

ਜਿਚਰੁ ਇਹੁ ਮਨੁ ਲਹਰੀ ਵਿਚਿ ਹੈ ਹਉਮੈ ਬਹੁਤੁ ਅਹੰਕਾਰ ॥: As long as our mind is tossing around, we are caught in ego and egotistical pride (sggs 1247).
ਚੰਚਲ ਮਨੁ ਦਹ ਦਿਸਿ ਕਉ ਧਾਵਤ ਅਚਲ ਜਾਹਿ ਠਹਰਾਨੋ॥ਕਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਇਹ ਬਿਧਿ ਕੋ ਜੋ ਨਰੁ ਮੁਕਤਿ ਤਾਹਿ ਤੁਮ ਮਾਨੋ ॥: The tossing mind wanders in ten directions (i.e., restlessness) — it needs to be pacified and restrained. Says Nanak, whoever knows this technique of pacifying and restraining it is judged to be liberated (sggs 685).
ਅੰਤਰਿ ਅਗਿਆਨ ਦੁਖੁ ਭਰਮੁ ਹੈ ਵਿਚਿ ਪੜਦਾ ਦੂਰਿ ਪਈਆਸਿ ॥: There is ignorance and pain of doubt within, like a separating veil (i.e., veil of ignorance) between the man and God (sggs 40).
Symptoms of restlessness are: anxiety, worries, unexplained fears, feeling of insecurity, superficial anguish, distress, agitation, abnormal movements, panic disorders, sadness, depression, compulsions, irrational conduct, hyperactivity, nervousness, aggression, quick to anger, lack of understanding, and so on. By the way, these are also symptoms of the Manmukh (denier of the Truth and truthful living, material being in conditioned consciousness, etc.).

ਮਨਮੁਖਿ ਨ ਬੂਝੈ ਫਿਰੈ ਇਆਣੀ ॥: Manmukh an boojhai firai iaanee: The Manmukh does not understand; he wanders around in ignorance (sggs 1049).
ਹਉਮੈ ਪਚੈ ਮਨਮੁਖ ਮੂਰਾਖਾ ॥: Houmai pachai manmukh mooraakhaa: The foolish Manmukhs are consumed by their egotism or Haume (sggs 394).
When the illusory duality is not seen for what it is, there is the rising of Haume within. Driven by this faulty vision, like a mad street-dog the mind ever whirls in vain far and wide among objects of the senses. It's tossed about among "likes and dislikes" like a dry leaf in a cyclone. Following its companions (lust, etc.), this strolling dog of the mind preys on the Manmukhs as vultures on carcasses. The "restless" mind can be compared to a drunkard monkey who at the same time has been stung by thousands of scorpions! In this state of "Dhaatur Baajee" it lurches in a moment from one place and object to the other.

ਮਨੁ ਚੰਚਲੁ ਧਾਵਤੁ ਫੁਨਿ ਧਾਵੈ ॥ ਸਾਚੇ ਸੂਚੇ ਮੈਲੁ ਨ ਭਾਵੈ ॥: The restless mind repeatedly runs after unstable things. The Pure True Being is not pleased by the mental filth (sggs 222).
ਮਨੁ ਵਸਿ ਦੂਤਾ ਦੁਰਮਤਿ ਦੋਇ ॥: The mind is in the control of evil passions, evil intent, and duality (sggs 222).
ਮਾਇਆ ਮੁਈ ਨ ਮਨੁ ਮੁਆ ਸਰੁ ਲਹਰੀ ਮੈ ਮਤੁ ॥: Maya is not conquered and the mind is not annihilated; the waves of desire in the world-ocean are intoxicating wine (sggs 992).
ਚੰਚਲ ਮਨੁ ਦਹ ਦਿਸਿ ਕਉ ਧਾਵਤ ਅਚਲ ਜਾਹਿ ਠਹਰਾਨੋ ॥: Chanchal manu dah dis kaou dhaavat achal jaahi thaharaano: The restless mind wanders in the ten directions - it needs to be pacified and restrained (sggs 685).
As time and again indicated in the SGGS, Realization of one's Mool within (Source, Origin Jot...) is experienced through Sahaj Avasthaa (our natural State of Being, ਗਿਆਨ ਅਵਸਤਾ). Which implies that - to Realize the Mool within - the mind's restlessness or Haume consciousness got to fold its tent and leave! The mind rejuvenates when the flame of Haume is blown out from within.

ਏ ਮਨ ਹਰਿਆ ਸਹਜ ਸੁਭਾਇ ॥: Ae mann hariaa sahaj subhaai: This mind is rejuvenated through Sahaj (sggs 1173).
ਕੰਚਨ ਸਿਉ ਪਾਈਐ ਨਹੀ ਤੋਲਿ ॥ ਮਨੁ ਦੇ ਰਾਮੁ ਲੀਆ ਹੈ ਮੋਲਿ ॥੧॥ ਅਬ ਮੋਹਿ ਰਾਮੁ ਅਪੁਨਾ ਕਰਿ ਜਾਨਿਆ ॥ ਸਹਜ ਸੁਭਾਇ ਮੇਰਾ ਮਨੁ ਮਾਨਿਆ ॥ ੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ ਬ੍ਰਹਮੈ ਕਥਿ ਕਥਿ ਅੰਤੁ ਨ ਪਾਇਆ ॥ ਰਾਮ ਭਗਤਿ ਬੈਠੇ ਘਰਿ ਆਇਆ ॥੨॥ ਕਹੁ ਕਬੀਰ ਚੰਚਲ ਮਤਿ ਤਿਆਗੀ ॥ ਕੇਵਲ ਰਾਮ ਭਗਤਿ ਨਿਜ ਭਾਗੀ ॥੩॥੧॥੧¬੯॥: Kanchan siou paaeeai nahee toli... ||3||1||19||: God cannot be obtained by giving gold equal to (one's) weight. (But, say Kabeer, I) have bought (i.e., Realized, Experienced, obtained, Got, etc.) God by (ਮੁੱਲ ਵਜੋਂ) giving my mind (Haumai, ਆਪਾ ਭਾਵ-Aapaa bhaav, ego, etc.) to Him ||1||. Now (I am sure that) He is my God. My mind is intuitively (ਸਹਜਿ ਸੁਭਾਇ: in the Natural State of Being) pleased. ||1||Pause|| Brahma spoke of Him continually, but could not find His limit. Because of my devotion to the Lord (in the Natural State of Being - Sahaj Subhhaai), He has come to the Home (of my Inner Being). ||2|| Says Kabeer, I have renounced my restless intellect. (Now) only the Lord's worship is my lot ||3||1||19|| (sggs 327).
ਸਹਜ ਸੁਭਾਇ ਮਿਲੇ ਗੋਪਾਲਾ ਨਾਨਕ ਸਾਚਿ ਪਤੀਨੇ ॥: Sahaj subhaai mile gopaalaa Nanak saach pateene: Says Nanak, one meets God with Sahaj, and then he remains immersed in that Truth (sggs 626).
Spiritual Wisdom imparted by the SGGS is a deep ocean (Agaadh Bodh) and it is not easy to unravel the Truth it holds. Intellectual proficiency in the Gurbani (or any other scriptures for that matter) can merely be gained through a thorough training or scholarship, but this does not guarantee Spiritual Enlightenment (ਗਿਆਨ ਅਵਸਤਾ, ਜਾਗਰਤ ਅਵਸਤਾ...). For the Spiritual Enlightenment requires the ability to understand and realize the Spiritual Wisdom as an personal Experience. In other words, Spiritual Wisdom cannot be borrowed, it cannot be made to an order (ਕੰਚਨ ਸਿਉ ਪਾਈਐ ਨਹੀ ਤੋਲਿ), etc. For it is not information. One has to enter into it.

ਅਕਲ ਕਲਾ ਨਹ ਪਾਈਐ ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਅਲਖ ਅਲੇਖੰ ॥: Akal kalaa nah paaeeai prabh alakh alekham: God is not found by intellectual or clever devices; He is Unseeable and Incalculable (sggs 1098).
As indicated in the Gurbani, when through the Gur-Shabad the mind inquires into its own True Nature (Joti-Svaroopa , Mool...), the evil-mindedness and the perception of duality fold their tent and depart. In a nutshell, the Sabar (ਸਬਰ) has to conquer the Jabar (ਜਬਰ)!

ਦੂਜੀ ਦੁਰਮਤਿ ਸਬਦੇ ਖੋਈ ॥: Doojee duramat sabade khoee: Duality and evil-mindedness are destroyed through the Shabad (sggs 1051).
ਮਨ ਖੋਜਿ ਮਾਰਗੁ ॥: Mann khoj maarag: mwrgu: O mind, seek out the way! (sggs 71).
ਇਉ ਕਹੈ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਮਨ ਤੂੰ ਜੋਤਿ ਸਰੂਪੁ ਹੈ ਅਪਣਾ ਮੂਲੁ ਪਛਾਣੁ ॥੫॥: Iou kahai Nanak mann toon joti saroop hai apanaa mool pashaan ||5||: Thus says Nanak: O my mind, you are the embodiment or the True Image of the Divine Light (i.e., God) - recognize your Origin ||5|| (sggs 441).
The antidote for sorrows of Sansaar (or Sansara: the place of repeated suffering) is indicated to be the Aatam-Giaan. The Guru's role in imparting the Aatam-Giaan to humanity that liberates one from the worldly bondage (Maya) is highlighted in the SGGS. But we need to turn the vessel of the mind upright through the constant Shabad-Vichaar. Upon experiencing the Aatam-Giaan, one's old world (Manmukh consciousness) gets shattered — he stops identifying with the world created by his Haume-mind, and Awakening of a new world within with dramatic change and Understanding (Gurmukh Consciousness).

ਗੁਰ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਤੇ ਸਹਜ ਸੁਭਾਇ ॥: Gur kirapaa te sahaj subhaai: Sahaj (results) from the Grace of the Gur (Giaan). (sggs 173).
ਧਾਤੁਰ ਬਾਜੀ ਸਬਦਿ ਨਿਵਾਰੇ ਨਾਮੁ ਵਸੈ ਮਨਿ ਆਈ ॥: Dhaatur baajee sabad nivaare naam vasai man aaee: The mind in which the Naam comes to dwell, through the Shabad his mind's wanderings are stopped (sggs 909).
ਬਾਬੀਹੈ ਹੁਕਮੁ ਪਛਾਣਿਆ ਗੁਰ ਕੈ ਸਹਜਿ ਸੁਭਾਇ ॥ ਮੇਘੁ ਵਰਸੈ ਦਇਆ ਕਰਿ ਗੂੜੀ ਛਹਬਰ ਲਾਇ ॥ ਬਾਬੀਹੇ ਕੂਕ ਪੁਕਾਰ ਰਹਿ ਗਈ ਸੁਖੁ ਵਸਿਆ ਮਨਿ ਆਇ ॥: Baabeehai Hukam pachhaaniaa Gur kai Sahaj subhaai ...: (sggs 1284).
Thus, the way of living shown in the Gurbani is one that is nurtured in Sahaj (the Natural State of Being, the total Freedom, ਗਿਆਨ ਅਵਸਤਾ, ਜਾਗਰਤ ਅਵਸਤਾ, etc.). If we follow the Teaching of the Gurbani, it reveals the basic essentials of the highest truths in a concise and clear manner and provides ample clarifications for many doubts that are likely to arise in the way. Furthermore, the Simple and practical Teaching of the Gurbani can be imbibed, applied and practiced by anyone, anywhere and at anytime. As we know, pressures of daily life and cravings for sense gratification cause the mind to become fragmented (i.e., restless). However, where there is fragmentation in the mind, there cannot be any real spiritual experience! The SGGS teaches the art of dealing with this fragmented mind. The Gurbani's emphasis on control of the mind (its full annihilation) is bound to bring about Peace regardless of one's line of work.

ਜੋ ਕਿਛੁ ਹੋਵੈ ਸਹਜਿ ਸੁਭਾਇ ॥: Jo kish hovai sahaj subhaai: Whatever happens, (the Gurmukh) does in Sahaj (ਆਤਮਕ ਅਡੋਲਤਾ ਵਿਚ ਟਿਕਿਆ ਰਹਿ ਕੇ). (sggs 1262).
ਨਾਮੇ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਿ ਨਾਰਾਇਣ ਲਾਗੀ ॥ ਸਹਜ ਸੁਭਾਇ ਭਇਓ ਬੈਰਾਗੀ ॥: Naame preet naaraain laagee. Sahaj subhaai bhaiou bairaagee: Naam Dav is in love with the Lord. With Sahaj He has become detached from the world (sggs 1164).
What essentially all this indicates is that those who are drowned in the consciousness of Haume, restlessness, selfish passions, etc., are called the ignorant (the Manmukh, etc.) in the Gurbani, and those who are able to overcome it are Gurmukhs, saintly, godly, Brahm Giaanee (God-conscious being or the knower of God), etc. Also, when the Divine Grace will take place is unpredictable; and that all we can do is control the mind's restlessness, and awaken Sahaj and patient (Dheeraj) within.

ਬ੍ਰਹਮ ਗਿਆਨੀ ਲੇ ਧਾਵਤੁ ਬੰਧਾ ॥: Brahm giaanee le dhaavat bandhaa: Brahm Giaanee - the knower of Truth - keeps his wandering mind in check (sggs 273).
ਮਨੁ ਮਰੈ ਧਾਤੁ ਮਰਿ ਜਾਇ ॥ ਬਿਨੁ ਮਨ ਮੂਏ ਕੈਸੇ ਹਰਿ ਪਾਇ ॥ ਇਹੁ ਮਨੁ ਮਰੈ ਦਾਰੂ ਜਾਣੈ ਕੋਇ ॥ ਮਨੁ ਸਬਦਿ ਮਰੈ ਬੂਝੈ ਜਨੁ ਸੋਇ ॥: Mann marai dhaat mar jaai...: When the mind is conquered, its turbulent wanderings are stopped. Without annihilating (conquering) the mind, how can God be found? Rare is the one who knows the medicine to conquer the mind. The mind is conquered through the Shabad; this is known to the Lord’s humble servant (sggs 665).
The Shabad-Guru tells us that the earnest Shabad-Vichaar stops the flow of thoughts. When thoughts stop, the restless mind ceases its activity, and becomes established in Sahaj.

ਗਉੜੀ ਮਹਲਾ ੫ ॥ ਗੁਰ ਕਾ ਸਬਦੁ ਰਿਦ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਧਾਰੈ ॥ ਪੰਚ ਜਨਾ ਸਿਉ ਸੰਗੁ ਨਿਵਾਰੈ ॥ ਦਸ ਇੰਦ੍ਰੀ ਕਰਿ ਰਾਖੈ ਵਾਸਿ ॥ ਤਾ ਕੈ ਆਤਮੈ ਹੋਇ ਪਰਗਾਸੁ ॥੧॥ ਐਸੀ ਦ੍ਰਿੜਤਾ ਤਾ ਕੈ ਹੋਇ ॥ ਜਾ ਕਉ ਦਇਆ ਮਇਆ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਸੋਇ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ ਸਾਜਨੁ ਦੁਸਟੁ ਜਾ ਕੈ ਏਕ ਸਮਾਨੈ ॥ ਜੇਤਾ ਬੋਲਣੁ ਤੇਤਾ ਗਿਆਨੈ ॥ ਜੇਤਾ ਸੁਨਣਾ ਤੇਤਾ ਨਾਮੁ ॥ ਜੇਤਾ ਪੇਖਨੁ ਤੇਤਾ ਧਿਆਨੁ ॥੨॥ ਸਹਜੇ ਜਾਗਣੁ ਸਹਜੇ ਸੋਇ ॥ ਸਹਜੇ ਹੋਤਾ ਜਾਇ ਸੁ ਹੋਇ ॥ ਸਹਜਿ ਬੈਰਾਗੁ ਸਹਜੇ ਹੀ ਹਸਨਾ ॥ ਸਹਜੇ ਚੂਪ ਸਹਜੇ ਹੀ ਜਪਨਾ ॥੩॥ ਸਹਜੇ ਭੋਜਨੁ ਸਹਜੇ ਭਾਉ ॥ ਸਹਜੇ ਮਿਟਿਓ ਸਗਲ ਦੁਰਾਉ ॥ ਸਹਜੇ ਹੋਆ ਸਾਧੂ ਸੰਗੁ ॥ ਸਹਜਿ ਮਿਲਿਓ ਪਾਰਬ੍ਰਹਮੁ ਨਿਸੰਗੁ ॥੪॥ ਸਹਜੇ ਗ੍ਰਿਹ ਮਹਿ ਸਹਜਿ ਉਦਾਸੀ ॥ ਸਹਜੇ ਦੁਬਿਧਾ ਤਨ ਕੀ ਨਾਸੀ ॥ ਜਾ ਕੈ ਸਹਜਿ ਮਨਿ ਭਇਆ ਅਨੰਦੁ ॥ ਤਾ ਕਉ ਭੇਟਿਆ ਪਰਮਾਨੰਦੁ ॥੫॥ ਸਹਜੇ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਪੀਓ ਨਾਮੁ ॥ ਸਹਜੇ ਕੀਨੋ ਜੀਅ ਕੋ ਦਾਨੁ ॥ ਸਹਜ ਕਥਾ ਮਹਿ ਆਤਮੁ ਰਸਿਆ ॥ ਤਾ ਕੈ ਸੰਗਿ ਅਬਿਨਾਸੀ ਵਸਿਆ ॥੬॥ ਸਹਜੇ ਆਸਣੁ ਅਸਥਿਰੁ ਭਾਇਆ ॥ ਸਹਜੇ ਅਨਹਤ ਸਬਦੁ ਵਜਾਇਆ ॥ ਸਹਜੇ ਰੁਣ ਝੁਣਕਾਰੁ ਸੁਹਾਇਆ ॥ ਤਾ ਕੈ ਘਰਿ ਪਾਰਬ੍ਰਹਮੁ ਸਮਾਇਆ ॥੭॥ ਸਹਜੇ ਜਾ ਕਉ ਪਰਿਓ ਕਰਮਾ ॥ ਸਹਜੇ ਗੁਰੁ ਭੇਟਿਓ ਸਚੁ ਧਰਮਾ ॥ ਜਾ ਕੈ ਸਹਜੁ ਭਇਆ ਸੋ ਜਾਣੈ ॥ ਨਾਨਕ ਦਾਸ ਤਾ ਕੈ ਕੁਰਬਾਣੈ ॥ ੮॥੩॥: Gaurree mahalaa 5 || Gur kaa sabad rid antar dhaarai ...: Gaurree mahalaa 5. Who implants the Guru's Shabad within his heart; cuts his connections with the five passions. (He) keeps the ten sense organs under his control, and his soul becomes enlightened (ਉਸ ਨੂੰ ਆਤਮਕ ਜੀਵਨ ਦੀ ਸੂਝ ਪੈ ਜਾਂਦੀ ਹੈ). ||1|| They alone acquire such steadfastness (ਆਤਮਕ ਬਲ), whom God blesses with His Mercy and Grace. ||1||Pause|| Friend and foe are one and the same to them. Whatever they speak is (spiritual) Wisdom. Whatever they hear is the Naam, the Name of the Lord. Whatever they see, in all (they see God's) meditation. ||2|| They awaken in Sahaj; they sleep in Sahaj. That which naturally to happen, he is pleased with that happening. In Sahaj they weep; in Sahaj they laugh. In Sahaj they remain silent; in Sahaj they repeat God's Name. ||3|| With Sahaj they eat; with Sahaj they love (everybody, God). Because they remain in Sahaj, the illusion of duality (ignorance, evil mindedness, etc.) is easily and totally removed from within. They naturally (in Sahaj) join the Saadh Sangat, the Society of the Holy. In Sahaj they meet and merge with the Transcendent Lord. ||4|| In Sahaj they are at Home, and in Sahaj they remain detached. In Sahaj, their bodies' duality is eliminated. In Sahaj Bliss comes to their minds. They meet the Lord, the Embodiment of Supreme Bliss. ||5|| In Sahaj they drink in the Nectar of the Naam (Amrit), the Name of the Lord. In Sahaj they give to the poor. In Sahaj their souls delight in the Lord's Sermon. The Imperishable Lord abides with them. ||6|| In Sahaj they assume the unchanging position (Eternal Abode). In Sahaj the unstruck vibration of the Shabad resounds. In Sahaj the celestial bells (of ਆਤਮਕ ਰਸ) resound. Within their Homes, the Supreme Lord ever abides. ||7|| In Sahaj, according to their Karma, they meet with the Guru of true Dharma (Naam-Simran). Those in Sahaj only realize God. Servant Nanak is a sacrifice to them. ||8||3|| (sggs 236 - 237).
April 20, 2012 11:00AM
Now the second part more simple and easy to try -- try doing paath in the following manner.

1. breath in gently be mindful at all times do paath while breathing out but stop pause at the || every time and when you pause think about the line youof Gurbani you uttered with your tongue.

2. One breath with a 2 second pause at the || can accomplish 2 lines or one line of Gurbani or one line depending on which part of Gurbani paath is reading.

3. The important thing pausing at the || and reflecting with the mind Gurbani you've just read in that pause.

With such practice this will work wonders and you will wonder where the time went. This emphasis as per Gurbani line" Shabad Guru Surat Dhun chela". Slowly you will gather pace and speed of your Gurbani paath reading and also mindulness of what you've have read. In this way some Gursikhs can complete paath at an amazing pace do their tune in of the mind with Gurbani. While it's easy for fools like me to think why they are doing it so fast- however it's a matter of tuning in with the shabad..

Try and report back -- you will see results almost immediately - if not please advise.
April 21, 2012 07:27PM
Now a days i try surti path. And really mind wanders less. About the meaning of prayers i tried to focus, but i think i'm unable to do this as my knowledge is less.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login