ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Is ignorance bliss?

Posted by Tarun Singh 
Is ignorance bliss?
March 17, 2010 06:25AM
ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕਾਖ਼ਾਲਸਾ,ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕੀਫ਼ਤਹਿ!

Someone asked me if there are any tuks from Gurbani that said ignorance is not bliss - I told them that although I none came to mind that I felt ignorance could not be bliss since if someone was ignorant about Vaheguru how could they ever attain Akal Purakh - The person seemed to not be too satisfied with this response and I was hoping others with much more kamaee than me could comment regarding this.

ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕਾਖ਼ਾਲਸਾ,ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕੀਫ਼ਤਹਿ!
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Is ignorance bliss?
March 17, 2010 07:50AM

Someone asked me if there are any tuks from Gurbani that said ignorance is not bliss - I told them that although I none came to mind that I felt ignorance could not be bliss since if someone was ignorant about Vaheguru how could they ever attain Akal Purakh - The person seemed to not be too satisfied with this response and I was hoping others with much more kamaee than me could comment regarding this.

This saying may be true for some worldly situations but not for all situations especially the spiritual ones. Second thing is that it is not fair to take just a part of the whole saying and take a stand on it. The whole saying is as follows:

Where ignorance is bliss, 'Tis folly to be wise.

This definitely applies to worldly situations. There are many kinds of worldly knowledge that one rather not know. In such cases it is best to be ignorant than to be cognizant. Many years ago, when I used to working for National Trust Company, in our office, the air conditioner used to make a constant and loud noice. Everyone in the office was irritated by it but I honestly never could hear it. When my co-workers complained about it, I used to try to hear it but was unable to hear anything. There was nothing wrong with my ears as I could hear even a pin drop on the floor but I still got concerned. Then one day, all of sudden I too started hearing that sound . It was extremely irritating. Then I thought that I was better off when I was ignorant about this noice. Anyway, they soon got it fixed. The point I want to stress on is that sometimes it is really folly to be wise and better to be ignorant.

Having said that, there is another saying in Punjabi that means that if a pigeon closes its eyes at the sight of a predator, it is not going to be saved. The pigeon sees a predator approaching it but instead of flying away, it closes its eyes hoping that by doing so the problem would go away. Of course this does not happen and it is eaten up by the predator. Same way, if we become lazy or try to act ignorant about the imminent danger of Jammdoots coming our way, we will not be saved. We will have to adopt Gurmat to be saved. Here are some pankitis about Ignorance:

ਅਗਿਆਨ ਮਤੀ ਅੰਧੇਰੁ ਹੈ ਬਿਨੁ ਪਿਰ ਦੇਖੇ ਭੁਖ ਨ ਜਾਇ॥
(The ignorant intelligence is like darkness; without seeing the Husband Vaheguru, hunger is not quenched.)

ਅੰਤਰਿ ਅਗਿਆਨ ਦੁਖੁ ਭਰਮੁ ਹੈ ਵਿਚਿ ਪੜਦਾ ਦੂਰਿ ਪਈਆਸਿ॥
(Inside the Manmukh, there is Ignorance, sorrow and doubt (sorrow and doubt are results of Ignorance); because of this curtain he is far from Vaheguru.)

There are countless pankitis that allude to ignorance and prompt a Sikh to attain divine Knowledge.

Here are some sayings in contrast to the saying about Ignorance above:

The truest characters of ignorance Are vanity, and pride, and annoyance.

Ignorance never settles a question.

Kulbir Singh
March 17, 2010 03:21PM
Dhanvaad Bhai Sahib
March 17, 2010 06:43PM
While Veer Ji, has rightly explained the ignorance (Agyanta) related darkness and pains, under the light of Gurmat Gyan; there is still something related with the topic which needs to be explored.

There are Gurbani Shabads, which talk about negative attributes of wisdom.

Bhole Bhaie Mile Raghuraya and Dhane Seweaa Ball Budh. (Please read here the story of Bhagat Dhana)

Bohut Syanap Jam Ka Bhow Byape.

Chutrai Sayanpaa Kite Kamm Naa Aaaian.

And also in the GURU & SIKH relationship; SIKH is supposed to behave ignorant.

May be Syanap & Chutrai is something different from Gyan.

Bhai Veer Singh Ji; in a famous couplet, says "HOSHAN NAALON MASTI CHANGI JEHRI RAKDI SADA THIKANE".
March 18, 2010 07:04AM
Bhai MB Singh jee has raised some important points with respect to ignorance.

And also in the GURU & SIKH relationship; SIKH is supposed to behave ignorant.

The greatest Gurmat wisdom is not do pride even if one knows anything. When in front of Guru Sahib, how can a Sikh dare to show Gyaan? This is what Gyaan is to not exhibit Gyaan in front of Guru Sahib.

May be Syanap & Chutrai is something different from Gyan.

Precisely! Worldy Syanap and Chaturai is different from Gurmat Gyaan. Worldly Syanap has been condemned in Baani but Gurmat Gyaan has been hailed.

Kulbir Singh
March 18, 2010 12:23PM
Tarun Singh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕਾਖ਼ਾਲਸ��
> �,ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕੀਫ਼ਤਹਿ
> !
>
> Someone asked me if there are any tuks from
> Gurbani that said ignorance is not bliss - I told
> them that although I none came to mind that I felt
> ignorance could not be bliss since if someone was
> ignorant about Vaheguru how could they ever attain
> Akal Purakh - The person seemed to not be too
> satisfied with this response and I was hoping
> others with much more kamaee than me could comment
> regarding this.
>
>
> ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕਾਖ਼ਾਲਸ��
> �,ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕੀਫ਼ਤਹਿ
> !

When this term " In ignorant is bliss' is used in terms of spirtuality I think its a great misforune that such "spritualist " have a cynical ( nastic) attitude.
Many people use this term when they start inquiring/discovering the meaning of life, and their conclusion is that being invloved in Maya is much more blissful then seeking/desiring God. This type of pessimistic thinking has no place in Gurmat. Gurmat is more in line with the quote
" the truth will set you free", because when we get the truth from the true Guru we feel like a burden has been completely removed off our shoulders.

Veer Ji I think the answer you provided to your friend explains it all but if he is not satisfied explain to him ਦੁਖੁ ਦਾਰੂ ਸੁਖੁ ਰੋਗੁ ਭਇਆ ਜਾ ਸੁਖੁ ਤਾਮਿ ਨ ਹੋਈ ॥

I think in this pangti Sukh is referring to comfort/pleasure bound. Being comofrtable with your situation not making any effort to transcent ones mundane wordly experience. In this experience one remaims blind of ones orginis and stays in a mode in dark ignorance. In this mundane experience one remains ignorant of WaaheGuru Ji. Guru Ji refers to such ignorance not as bliss but as a disease. People who do not attempt to reach God are truly diseased everything they touch is diseasd , the clothes they wear are diseased , and the food they eat is diseased since they touch it. People who remain indifferent to WaaheGuru are no different then a dead body they are just flesh and bones. As impure beings they contaminate everything they touch. I wouldnt call such ignorance bliss instead its more like a disease that has destroyed they man and turned him into a murda ( dead body) living in a grave instead of living in a clean temple.

The Gurus Khalsa can remain pure amongst the impure and still stay pure as long as they take their daily dose of medicine, because without this medicine the whole world has become diseased. Only the perfect doctar ( Guru Sahib) can give this medicine. The Gurus Khalsa never believe "ignorance is bliss " instead they believe ignorance is a disease. The pain in their heart due to seperation leads them to recieive the medicine their heart desires because Guru Sahib would never let his Gursikh suffer without giving him the cure ( daroo)

Those who have been given the understanding in knowing that they have been seperated from WaaheGuru have acquired the medicine needed to transcend the mundane/materialistic maya driven world. What is the medicine? The medicine is making efforts in doing Naam Abhyiaas. Being in pain in this pangti is referring to being dissatisfied with this materialistic world, and desiring more then the senses can provide. The desire for Maya ( sukh) prevents the mind from desring Naam. This desire for God ( naam) is the greatest medicine in removing the disease of complete ignorance of ones own atma and paramatma.

In Sikhi, the seperation from Paramatma does not lead to a cynical attitude that makes one think the realization has lead to an incurable pain. Because of the Gurus kirpa one has faith that the day as soon arriving when ones atma reunites with Paramatma in everlasting bliss.

People might think its a cynical attitude to say the "ignorant are diseased" but I dont believe so. In this life there are two worlds. The world of Manmat and the world of Gurmat. Being sickened and discussed by the world of Manmat and having a desire to stay in the world of Gurmat is not wrong. That is the beauty of Sikhi. Through rehat/Gurbani, Guru Ji teaches how we can still be in this maya driven world but be completely detached from it. Gods name exist in every being, but its best to understand that those who have no desire for Naam and are comfortable with their diseases are contangious to those who are not taking their medicine from Guru Sahib.
March 19, 2010 07:19AM
Excellent points Veer Sukhdeep Singh jeeo.

Indeed when in Sukh, one stays ignorant about the fact that one is imprisoned here. This is why worldly Sukh has been called a disease. In Dukh one is forced to think and one turns to Vaheguru. Hence Dukh has been called a medicine.

Kulbir Singh
March 19, 2010 07:54AM
After reading the the above posts, this sakhee come to my mind

Mainoo Dukh Aavay

One time,a rich couple invited Sant Kartar Singh Ji and the rest of the jatha for langar. Both were very religious. They had been married for many years but had no children.

After langar Sant Ji stood up to do ardaas and asked the family if they had any wishes. Singh did not say anything but his wife said “Mainoo dukh aavay (I wish to spend my life full of sorrow).” Sant Ji smiled and did the ardaas. After leaving their house some singhs asked Sant Ji the meaning of doing such ardaas of asking for sorrow and pain. Sant Ji said “When people are happy they never remember Guru Ji. Only when they are in trouble, pain or suffer remember Guru Ji and do ardaas. The purpose of bibi’s ardaas asking for sorrow was just one way to remember Guru Ji. She does not want such happiness that would make her forget about true Guru Ji. She rather have sorrow and pain, this way she will always remember Guru Ji. But know one thing; the sorrow she asked for will bless her with true happiness of Sikhi. So do as much simran and read as much Bani as possible, who knows one day Guru Ji might do kirpa and bless you with the same sorrow bibi ji asked for.” May Maharaj bless the whole world with such Dukh.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login