ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Correct Maryada for LaavaN during Anand Kaaraj? thumbs up

Posted by nobody 
1) Should Gursikhs sit or stand during the reading of each Laav?
2) If they should stand, surely they should tek their matha before beginning the next Laav?

If anyone has a link to an article or Rehatnama explaining the appropriate conduct for an Anand Kaaraj, please share!
Thank you.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
I'm assuming you're getting married? lol...congratulations! grinning smiley

Well I'm not married. But from what I have seen, when the person sitting on Tabiyaa is reading the Laanvaan, the soon to be married couple remain seated, facing Guru Sahib Jee. When the Keertaniyaa starts singing Laanv the person sitting on Taabiyaa has just read, that is when both the groom and bride first do Mathaa Tek together, than walk around Guru Sahib, doing Parkarmaa with the rhythem and beat of the Laanv being sung. However, during Siri Anand Sahib, they remain seated.

Baaki Bhai Guru Sahib hee jaandey aa!

Jaspreet Singh
haha nahi bhaji, definitely not getting married any time soon grinning smiley

Just curious because I have seen different things happening at Gursikh anand kaaraj..what you have described above is what usually happens, however i have been to a few anand kaaraj where the couple stand during the reading of the laavaN and was wondering which is the correct way.

Opinions from married Gursikhs would also be appreciated!
For the weddings I've attended I've not yet come across anyone standing whilst the Lavaan are being read by the Gursikh on the Tabiya. Maybe they do it out of respect? But then again we don't stand in the Gurdwara when Bani is being read so not sure why one would stand or why it would be different during Anand Karaj.
VAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA, VAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

[sgpc.net]
Just had a look at the link from SGPC provided above and it says the following:

"The boy and girl, after every circumambulation, should bow before the Guru Granth Sahib in genuflexion, lowering their forehead to touch the ground and then stand up to listen to the recitation of the next stanza."
I went to a gursikhs wedding a couple months ago, and they stood up while the granthi singh read the Lava. After the Anand Karaj they explained why, the bride & groom stand up, because when your father is giving you an order, you don't just sit there, you get up, stand, and do what he tells ya..

That's what they said.

Rest Guru Maharaj Knows

Daas
Amanjot Singh
If this is the correct way where and when did it change to sitting down and listening to the recitation?
Well To Be Honest..

Every gursikh wedding I have been to they stand up, but when I went to a non - amritdharis wedding they sit down.. But that's only from what I have seen?!

-Rest Guru Sahib Knows

Daas
Amanjot Singh
AmanjotSingh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well To Be Honest..
>
> Every gursikh wedding I have been to they stand
> up, but when I went to a non - amritdharis wedding
> they sit down.. But that's only from what I have
> seen?!
>
> -Rest Guru Sahib Knows
>
> Daas
> Amanjot Singh

lol you seem so concerned about how your wedding will be performed, Amanjot Singh.
LOL, Hahahahahahaa -- Very Funny Bhai Jaspreet Singh Ji...

I Still Have A LOT Of Time .. winking smiley
Unjaan
If this is the correct way where and when did it change to sitting down and listening to the recitation?

Well nowadays, only the couple and their parents stand during ardaas, whereas the entire sangat are meant to stand. So it's entirely possible that both of these changes (and others) crept in around the same time..Maybe admin should consider uploading an article in the Gurmat Literature section which outlines the correct conduct for an Anand Kaaraj?

AmanjotSingh
I went to a gursikhs wedding a couple months ago, and they stood up while the granthi singh read the Lava. After the Anand Karaj they explained why, the bride & groom stand up, because when your father is giving you an order, you don't just sit there, you get up, stand, and do what he tells ya..

That's what they said.

Rest Guru Maharaj Knows

Daas
Amanjot Singh

Makes sense bhaji, thank you!
The reasons I can think of why people sit down instead of stand up for the Laavan as per stated in the Akal Takht Maryada are:

1) Lack of parchaar and awareness of the Maryada

2) Panjabi ladies suits/lenghas are too heavy and so perhaps they feel more comfortable sitting.

Also, please understand that teh Granthi Singh also provides instructions as to how to conduct the Anand Karaj. Perhaps some are more familiar with Taksal Maryada, which does perscribe sitting down:

[www.damdamitaksaal.org]

"The Ragee Singh is to perform Kirtan of the first Lav and the couple are to slowly walk around Sri Guru Granth Sahib Jee (keeping Guru Sahib to their right-hand side), after which they are to bow to Guru Sahib and be seated. "

So, as the Granthi Singh is the "Master of Ceremony", his instructions are usually followed by the Gursikhs getting married.

Every gursikh wedding I have been to they stand up, but when I went to a non - amritdharis wedding they sit down.. But that's only from what I have seen?!

Interesting as I've been to Amritdhari weddings where the couple remain seated as prescribed in the DDT maryada.
Manvir Singh
2) Panjabi ladies suits/lenghas are too heavy and so perhaps they feel more comfortable sitting.

Hahaha!
1 issue - we follow akal takt maryada, not taksal
2 issue - we are talkin bout sikhs not punjabi - the point about suits being to heavy is silly

follow akal takt maryada, that will be the parchaar. not hard to understand!!!!!!!!
ms514

Also, please understand that teh Granthi Singh also provides instructions as to how to conduct the Anand Karaj. Perhaps some are more familiar with Taksal Maryada, which does perscribe sitting down:

[www.damdamitaksaal.org]

"The Ragee Singh is to perform Kirtan of the first Lav and the couple are to slowly walk around Sri Guru Granth Sahib Jee (keeping Guru Sahib to their right-hand side), after which they are to bow to Guru Sahib and be seated. "

So, as the Granthi Singh is the "Master of Ceremony", his instructions are usually followed by the Gursikhs getting married.

Wasn't aware that Taksaal maryada was different. Thank you for sharing.

rasgulla singh
2 issue - we are talkin bout sikhs not punjabi - the point about suits being to heavy is silly

It was meant to be tongue in cheek, bhaji.

1 issue - we follow akal takt maryada, not taksal

I agree and fully support the SRM, but we should not pick and choose what we like from it like some do.
Why Do We Over Complicate Things?

Look Their Must Be A Reason Why Some Sit Down While Some Stand While The Laava Are Being Recited By Granthi Singh?

If The Akal Tatakht Maryada Is Telling Us To Stand Then We Stand, If They Tell Us To Sit We Sit.. Simply!

BUT.. Like I Have Stated Before, Every Gursikh Wedding I Have Been To They Stand To Listen To Guru Sahib's Shabads Of The Laava..

I At An Anand Karaj Recently, And The Granthi Singh Who Read The Laava From A Puratan Hand Written Larivaar Sroop Of Guru Sahib, With A Lot Of Knowledge And Kaamai, Told The Couple To Stand While The First Laav If Being Read, Then Bow Before Guru Ji And Then Go Round Guru Sahib..

For Couple That Don't Follow This, It Only Comes Down To No Knowledge And They Are Not Totally To Blame?

The Rest GURU SAHIB Knows..

Dhun Gursikhi

Daas
Amanjot Singh
Daas agrees with Veer Amanjot Singh. There is no need to complicate things and the main thing is Bhae-Bhaavnee. Having said that, our understanding is that the couple should listen to Laava while standing. They should do Laav and stand up after Matha-tek to listen to the next Laav. This way all four Laava should be heard.

Guru Sahib knows better.

Kulbir Singh
The way I see it is this:

When someone teaches us a lesson, we sit and listen, rather than stand because it creates disturbance and this body language speaks rude about you. Same way, when Guru Sahib Maharaj reads out Laanvaan for us through the Singh or Singhni sitting on Tabiyaa, we sit attentively and listen to the instruction being given. It makes more sense to sit.

Daas;
Baask
Baask jeeo, in your case we will let you sit because as per your admission you focus better when sitting but your partner will be made to stand. It will be a unique setup. smiling smiley

Kulbir Singh
AmanjotSingh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why Do We Over Complicate Things?
>
> Look Their Must Be A Reason Why Some Sit Down
> While Some Stand While The Laava Are Being Recited
> By Granthi Singh?
>
> If The Akal Tatakht Maryada Is Telling Us To Stand
> Then We Stand, If They Tell Us To Sit We Sit..
> Simply!
>
> BUT.. Like I Have Stated Before, Every Gursikh
> Wedding I Have Been To They Stand To Listen To
> Guru Sahib's Shabads Of The Laava..
>
> I At An Anand Karaj Recently, And The Granthi
> Singh Who Read The Laava From A Puratan Hand
> Written Larivaar Sroop Of Guru Sahib, With A Lot
> Of Knowledge And Kaamai, Told The Couple To Stand
> While The First Laav If Being Read, Then Bow
> Before Guru Ji And Then Go Round Guru Sahib..
>
> For Couple That Don't Follow This, It Only Comes
> Down To No Knowledge And They Are Not Totally To
> Blame?
>
> The Rest GURU SAHIB Knows..
>
> Dhun Gursikhi
>
> Daas
> Amanjot Singh

I disagree with your first point, you said if the "Akaal Takhat" tells us to sit we sit, if it tells us to stand we stand. But the "Akaal Takhat" tells us that Keski is not Kakar, it tells us that eating meat is not a Bujjer Kureit, should we follow these notions as well? This so called "Akaal Takhat" Maryada which should be called the SGPC Maryada because thats what it is (in my opinion anyways), is not perfect. It has its flaws, we should not follow it blindly thinking it is 100% correct.

If the Taksal Maryada states that we should sit down there must be a reason they said so. We shouldn't follow any Maryada blindly, do Khoj into why there is a difference of opinion in the Panth on this issue and go with what you find.

Frankly speaking I don't think the issue of sitting/standing will void any Anand Karaj Ceremony.
Well said gsingh jeeo.

Such an issue will not at all void an Anand Kaaraj.

Jatha should worry about anand kaaraj's happening in front of a pad ched pothi these days.

Now that is a void, and something to pay more attention to.

A gursikhs first and foremost priority should be finding his/her true guru.

Baakee gallaan baad vich jee.
Once a law has been passed it can only change at a Panthic level, and Guru kirpa, this time will come sooner rather than later.

To unite the panth the current SRM should be followed by all. Many prominent personalities have mentioned this in the past, including Shaheed Bhai Talwinder Singh Babbar.

I have to admit that I was not aware of standing up in the Laavan, but will not forget now. Looks like I need to re-educate myself on the finer points of the Maryada again.
Sangat Ji,

This entire Post has taken 360 Degree Turn. While posting answers, the original query itself went under many transformations cool smiley

Just for clarity purpose I think we have 2 Important Questions in hand.

Ques 1. What to do at time when Granthi Singh Ji (sitting on Taabiya) is reading bani for Laavan ?
Ques 2. What to do at time when Raagi Singh Ji is doing Kirtan for Laavan ?

Daas's Answers
Ans 1. Sit and listen to the bani being read out from Guru Jee's Swaroop.
Ans 2. As soon as Raagi Singh Ji starts Kirtan, then do Mattha-Tek ... Stand Up and start Laavan keeping Guru Jee's Swaroop on right hand side ... Walk slowly during Laavan (to be in sync with kirtan) ... after parikrama is complete then do Mattha-Tek and Stand-Up if the Raagi Singh Ji is still continuing the Kirtan .... Once Raagi Singh Ji stops Kirtan then sit-down and listen to Singh Ji on Tabiyaa. (often it is matter of timing that as soon as Parikrama is complete and Mattha-Tek is happening and at the same time the Raagi Singh Ji finish Kirtan. In that case the Jodi may not stand up because Kirtan has finished and sit down to listen to Singh Ji on Tabiyaa).

Bhul Chuk Maaf.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh.
Amritdhari Weddings where the couples remained seated.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login