ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

1954 Gurpurab Ishtihaar by Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee

Posted by Kulbir Singh 
Notice the Ishtihaar of Poh Sudi Saptami Gurpurab by Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee. The Samagam is too intense. Ran Subaaee Kirtan starts at 7pm and ends at 8am. Then right away, Divas Suhela Kirtan starts and ends at 7pm. This means 24 hours of non-stop Kirtan. No Langar allowed but kids exempted.

Notice that one day before the beginning of Siri Akhand Paath Sahib was reserved for welcoming the Kirtani Jathas. The word "Aduti" has been used to describe this welcoming of Jathas. Typically, Bhai Sahib and local Sangat used to come out of their village to welcome the incoming Sangat. They used to do Kirtan welcoming them. Sometimes Kirtan used to go on for hours with both sides standing face to face.

Some people reject Madh Ardaas during Siri Akhand Paath Sahib but here it has been referred to as Mahaatmi Ikath.

Notice that evening has been referred to as Aathan in typical Malwa accent of Punjabi. I like different accents within Punjabi. Now the written Punjabi has become too standard and no one uses words like Aathan and Trikaalan for evening.

Kulbir Singh
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Vaheguroo jee,

Bhai sahib jee,Thanks for sharing such example of long kirtan for days and nights.

ya,its all nice to have such program,where kirtan from 7pm to 8am and day smagams as well.It would be wonderful to have such program if Guru ji will.Kirtan all day and night,anyone would be speechless after having such experience.

But, I am sorry to say that, I feel really bad when I see word "jaloos" with name of Sri Guru Granth Sahib jee and it says' by Bhai sahib bhai Randhir singh jee. I don't think this kind of words was used during such high Avastha Gursikhs and if so, they had accept it. I think it just written now a day using old information about smagam schedule.I don't mean here that this information is wrong,just said that this copy is written by someone now a days.

Bhul chuk di muaffi

Heera Singh
Thank you Bhai Sahib jee for digging up this treasure.

May Guru Sahib ji enable us to carry on such Smaagams, and us all the true Ranglay Sajjan.

Jaspreet Singh

But, I am sorry to say that, I feel really bad when I see word "jaloos" with name of Sri Guru Granth Sahib jee and it says' by Bhai sahib bhai Randhir singh jee. I don't think this kind of words was used during such high Avastha Gursikhs and if so, they had accept it. I think it just written now a day using old information about smagam schedule.I don't mean here that this information is wrong,just said that this copy is written by someone now a days.

The fact of the matter is that over the years, the meanings of words change. The word jaloos, in the recent years has become a negative word but historically, this word meant what "Nagar Kirtan" means today. This word is an Arabic word which means heavy procession similar to Nagar Kirtan. Even when I was a child, this word was often used for Nagar Kirtan. Today this word has negative connotations and is no longer used to describe Nagar Kirtans.

Bhai Sahib's writings contain a lot of words from Farsi and Arabic and this word Jaloos too has been used by Bhai Sahib out of respect for Guru Sahib. Presented below is the meaning of this word according to Mahan Kosh.

ਅ਼. __ ਜੁਲੂਸ. {ਸੰਗ੍ਯਾ}. ਬੈਠਣਾ। (2) ਰਾਜਸਿੰਘਾਸਨ ਪੁਰ ਬੈਠਣਾ। (3) ਕਚਹਿਰੀ ਕਰਨ ਬੈਠਣਾ। (4) ਸਜ ਧਜ ਦੀ ਸਵਾਰੀ ਉੱਤੇ ਇਕੱਠ. "ਮਹਾ ਜਲੂਸ ਚਹੂੰ ਦਿਸ ਕਰੇ". (ਗੁਪ੍ਰਸੂ).

Kulbir Singh
Bhai Jaswant Singh Jee Khalsa Jee from BC told me that the Rainsbhai Keertans would last From Rehraas Saahib to morning, after Nitnem there would be Asa Dee Vaar and Keertan would continue again to Rehraas Sahib. He said this was the True Anand. Bhai Sahib would do Keertan for hours without stop.

He told me this, when I was standing outside during a Keertan, during a Smagam, told me to enjoy as much as Anand as possible, and not waste time by standing outside of darbar.

Dhan Guru Dhan Guru Pyare.
On page 50 of jail chitteyaan bhai sahib has used the word jaloos as well:
ਗਲ ਕੀ ਨਗਰ ਕੀਰਤਨ ਦੇ ਜਲੂਸ ਤੇ ਮਹਲੇ ਦਾ ਭੋਗ ਕਿਤੇ ਆਥਣੇ ਜਾ ਕੇ ਪਿਆ |

Preetam Singh
Bhai Sahib Jasbir Singh ji of Toronto once told me that the word "Mushk" that appears in the beginning stanza of Siri Asa Kee Vaar really means fragrance, but today people have manipulated the word and use it to refer to bad odor.

This truly is Kalyug where words that were traditionally used by Gurmukhs to refer to something that was Gurmat oriented, are now wrongfully used.

As Bhai Sahib Kulbir Singh ji has stated, I also didn't used to view the word "jaloos" negatively, but later on as I grew up, I learnt that within modern day Punjabis, this word is now seen to mean something that it does not signify. This just proves how much lack of Gurmat knowledge there is within the community these days.

Also to add on, in Siri Gurbaani the words "laaj" and "pat" also appear quite often. One has to experience the true laaj and pat through Gurbaani in order to understand their meanings, but these words have also been manipulated by the Punjabis. People use these words to refer to a big house, expensive cars, money, status and "respect" at a wordly sense, etc.

May Guru Sahib bless us with the understanding of Gurmat.

Jaspreet Singh
Splendid !

Time doesn't exist for Naam Imbued Gurmukhs. May Guru Sahib jee do kirpa on us
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login