ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Keeping Bibek and Being in University

Posted by gsingh 
I was just looking for some tips from other Gursikhs who have kept bibek and gone to university. It's really tough keeping bibek and going to university, I spend about 3.5-4 hours commuting to and from university, so there isn't a lot of time for me to make my own food. Other Gursikhs have told me to hold back on keeping full bibek until I'm done with my studies, which I don't really want to do, but may have no other choice. So any tips from Gursikhs that have gotten through university while still keeping bibek?
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Bhai gsingh ji,

It is by the great Kirpa of Vaaheguru ji that you are wanting to keep bibek rehit. If you leave university aside for a moment, you will see that you will be faced with such circumstances throughout your life. For now, it is university and sooner than later it will be work or even travels. What can’t be compromised is rehit. We must programme our mind to such thinking that no matter what may come, we are to keep rehit of Dasam Paatshaah ji and not allow any dhill.

Many of us face similar situations but relaxing in rehit is not an option. You will hear from many Gursikhs on this forum and you will see that there are many ways around your situation. There is a lot of food that can be prepared in advance and can be taken to University with you. Even a parshada and sabhji wrap is transportable. You could prepare breads, muffins and other such food that is dry and easy to carry. You should prepare daala and other such wet food for home consumption and prepare as much dry food for university. Fruits and dry nuts are also great!

or u can go to a gursikhs house..........
Bibeki Survival Tips
December 10, 2011 10:41AM
Kirpa karo Amritvela jee, please share recipes.

Keeping bibek in university doesn't have to be too hard. My favourite thing to have at school is sabjee wrapped in parshada. Simple homemade sandwhiches are very good too. My advice is to make paneer sabjee over the weekends because it's so simple and easy, and you can save the paNee/whey to make bread (click for recipe) which will last you the whole week. Then you can make sandwhiches filled with paneer sabjee to bring to school. It's delicious. You will have enough panee/whey left over to make bread the week after as well, so you won't have to make paneer again, and you can switch to toasted tomato-salad sandwhiches which are so good. thumbs up

Or if you don't want to make bread, simply make parshadey in the morning before going to school, or praunthey.

For things that you can eat while you're at home, many things require limited effort. Multi-grain dalian and khicheree are good hearty breakfasts or dinners, and if you don't mind people making fun of you, you can make them everyday. I personally don't get tired of them. thumbs up

There is also a food which I think is the perfect bibeki solution to cooking problems, but no one uses it - quinuoa! Quinuoa is a type of grain from South America. It comes in red and white, you should first try white quinuoa. There are two ways to cook it. You can either boil a bata of water, put the washed quinuoa in, cover with a lid, and then turn the chulla off. Then you just leave it for a while until the water all gets soaked up and the quinuoa gets fluffy. You can also throw some cut up vegetables in so they get steamed on their own. OR you can simply boil it until it's done. You can add stir-fried vegetables, daal, pre-made sabjee, or just raw veggies or fruits and have it like a salad - you can add anything to it.

Another very easy thing to make at home is pasta. You simply get sooji (semolina flour) and gun it into an atta the way you would do for parshadey.... just need a bit of water. Then use a belna to flatten it as much as possible. Then cut it into thin strips (an easy way to do this is to roll it up first). Then all you have to do is boil these in water. In another batta you should prepare sauce, or stir-fried vegetables, or whatever you like.

Here is a recipe you can try to keep as a snack or breakfast to keep yourself from getting hungry throughout the day. It won't go bad so you can make alot at once and store it. Reduce the sugar and milk and replace with mashed banana. It will become like little cookie-cakes. Also add nuts, raisins, cinnamon, flaxseed powder, etc as you see fit, to give it more nutritional value.
You can make a large amount of daal at the weekend and it should last 4-5 days if properly stored, although some types of daal/mixed daals go off faster than others. You only need to make fresh rotian on a daily basis and can quickly heat up your daal.

For lunch you can make your own bread, which will last 5 days if allowed to cool and then stored properly, and have it with avacado/salad, homemade peanut butter (lasts 1-2 weeks) or hummus (lasts 4-5 days). You can also mash turtle/pinto beans with thurka and spices which can be had cold with rice or bread.

Its more about time management and planning ahead - I am lazy and still managed easily at medschool even when living out in shared accomodation. I made food for the week on Sunday evening and spent about 20-25 mins max on a weekday to heat up food or make chaul/rotian.

Keeping a strict routine in terms of naam bani is much more difficult winking smiley
Gagan Singh Jio,

Waheguru Ji ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji ki Fateh

Well if one form of Kaljug is keeping you delay the Bibek then use other form to keep strict Bibek. Following cooking equipment is best for your university dorm. No need to store the food for whole week; make every thing fresh without impacting you study schedules. Make fresh bread, Daal & Sabji and rice with these low cost appliances:

1) To make fresh bread put wheat and water at 4'o clock in the morning by the time you done with Amritvela around 7'O clock fresh bread is ready. [www.sunbeam.com]

2) When you go for sleep let's say 10:00 put daal or sabji of your choice in this slow cooker at 7:00 in morning Dal or sabji is ready.
[www.cuisinart.com]
3) Sometime you might need rice then use this cooker:
[www.cuisinart.com]

Then eat in Sarbloh batay. See how easy it is now, no more hassle of storing and carrying food and save that time to utilize in your study. These appliances will give you the Bibeki service and within reach to buy. These are used by many Singhs who cannot cook or do not eat food outside.

Here is offer for you if you are serious about keeping Bibek then Daas will send you bread making machine as a gift for Sri Dashmesh Jee's Gurpurab. Just send your address. Now choice is yours.spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

With Regards,
Daas

Note: Above advice to not for keeping Strict Sarbloh Bibek.
Oh ho Bhai Jasjit Singh ji! What kind of advice are you giving here?

Bhai Jasjit Singh ji's advice should not be taken (hehe!). How is any Naam/ bani going to be transferred in to the food if you use non-sarblohi utensils and machines that don't involved you to cook? (Hehe!)

A bread loaf takes no more than 2 hours in total to prepare (manually), daal/ sabhjis don't take longer than 40-50 minutes and chaul are ready in a sarblohi karahee or pateela in less than 15 minutes!

Bhai Jasjit Singh ji - Please try it the real way winking smiley

(Ps. That kind of "sarbloh bibek" is common in the US. You don't find that kind anywhere else in the world... hehe!)
Another solution would be to make one daal and sabjee over the weekend which can last you a week. Make fresh parshadey every night for dinner to have with the daal, and at the same time wrap some with sabjee for the next day's lunch. This way you only have prepare food once a day, and on the weekends.

Avacado and salad suggested by Mohan Singh is very good.

Breakfast for the whole week can be prepared ahead of time as well with cookie-cakes to last for a week or two.

Keeping Guru Sahib's full rehit is worth the extra work.
One only needs to do a quick google search on a variety of recipes. Try making dishes of a variety different dishes, not just Indian.
Vaheguroo.

I was meaning to post a topic similar to this, and the viewpoints on this topic seem extremely helpful. I am in no position to give any advices, but one thing that I have noticed myself doing is that I started consuming more raw products like fruits and nuts which I did not do before. They are as I now realize extremely delicious and healthy, especially when you are craving for a dessert. smiling smiley Make salads as meals, Salads have no limits! Try experimenting with different recipes. There are loads of recipes out on the internet, youtube, and personal blogs. If one puts effort and plan things out right ahead of time in keeping full pehraa on their bibek, it will be very easy to keep, but if not then it can be hard.

I also had a question, how do we store daal and sabzee? I mean when I cook my sabzee it turns dark in color (maybe I am doing something wrong?), so storing in sarbloh would it rust? I haven't tried storing my sabzee for this reason hence I ask.
Amritvela penjee. Please open your Khalsa Bakery Ltd and send food to all students.
InderpreetKaur Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Vaheguroo.
>
> I was meaning to post a topic similar to this, and
> the viewpoints on this topic seem extremely
> helpful. I am in no position to give any advices,
> but one thing that I have noticed myself doing is
> that I started consuming more raw products like
> fruits and nuts which I did not do before. They
> are as I now realize extremely delicious and
> healthy, especially when you are craving for a
> dessert. smiling smiley Make salads as meals, Salads have no
> limits! Try experimenting with different recipes.
> There are loads of recipes out on the internet,
> youtube, and personal blogs. If one puts effort
> and plan things out right ahead of time in keeping
> full pehraa on their bibek, it will be very easy
> to keep, but if not then it can be hard.
>
> I also had a question, how do we store daal and
> sabzee? I mean when I cook my sabzee it turns dark
> in color (maybe I am doing something wrong?), so
> storing in sarbloh would it rust? I haven't tried
> storing my sabzee for this reason hence I ask.

As for storing food, [gurmatbibek.com]
I agree with Vista veerjee's suggestion to Amritvela veerjee. veerjee, since you are the expert in gurmat maryada for the proper preparation of food (http://gurmatbibek.com/forum/read.php?3,15929,15929), I do believe you would be the perfect individual to take up this task.

Also, please kindly share recipe and tips. IK bhenjee has asked a good question about sabjeean going dark when you cook. Advice from Amritvela jee and others?
The Cinnamon Rolls recipe would nice giving a shot:

[gurmatbibek.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login