ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Teaching english

Posted by MaiKoNaRakhanda 
Teaching english
December 05, 2011 03:19PM
Gurfateh to all,

My gursikh friend asked me a question and I wasn't sure what to say, he is interested in becoming an english teacher in secondary schools (not teaching english language) but is concerned whether this is within gurmat or not. It is an important subject as through it you learn essential writing skills, grammar, etc. However it also involves teaching various literature, poetry (including romantic/love poetry), some literature can even be quite explicit with regards to lust, romance etc. He doesn't read novels, watch movies or anything like that, but would have to if he went down this career route. Would it be acceptable as per gurmat to take up this profession?
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Teaching english
December 05, 2011 05:19PM
If your friend is serious about achieving Darshan in this life time and if he or she feels that teaching English literature would become an impediment, then surely this career option should be discarded.

A true seeker drops 100 tasks to do the task of Bandagi. One's occupation should be such that is does not get into one's way of doing Bandagi. From your post it seems like teaching lustful and romantic literature would become a hindrance in spirituality. Then don't pursue this career.

Kulbir Singh
December 06, 2011 05:42PM
Gursikhs are allowed to work - do business and work real hard too - and always have been, but but but if as working you're not doing naam simran abyaasss - dharm dee kirat then all work done is for filling the stomach. One must work but keep remembering waheguru as much as possible while w workning.

Karta - in kartaa purkh implies that karata is sustaining everything acting working within in his kirteee - similar way Gursikh has no time to sit around and just do bhagtee only - they must be working while doing bhagtee in the mind 24 *7 and work like the dickens real hard- no chill pil. -the word retirement doesn't exist for a Gursikh at all.

All Guru sahiban's worked - all were Gristi jeeevan apart from Guru Harkrishan Jee - none just sat and did bandaee and no work - i disagree with Kulbir Singh where he says :

"One's occupation should be such that is does not get into one's way of doing Bandagi."

if one's mind is connected to Waheguru -Gurbani as much as possible while working - then there is no need to give up any profession or job.
December 07, 2011 02:44AM
I have also thought about this issue.
NS44 Jeo, that is an ideal situation if one can keep japping Naam while doing his work. However due to 'dhil' from the person's side, or due to the nature of work, sometimes that may not be possible all the time. In that situation, what should be done?

Let me ask this by taking an example. Let's assume there's someone who earns 1 lakh Rs/month and is able to Jap Naam only 10% of the time during his work. Now let's assume that he starts getting the same amount as passive income (maybe rent, investment, etc). Now he has few options:
1. He continues his work, and keep earning 1 lakh (in addition to 1 lakh from investment) - won't that be greed and moh of maya!

2. He leaves his job, and devotes as much time as possible to bhakti - pls note that he would still be fulfilling his obligation to his family (by taking care of their financial needs). Again, Naam Jaapna may not happen 24 hrs a day, but even if he does few hours of bhakti MORE than what he used to do while still in job, which is a better option?

Pls note that this is just my thinking, and I may be mistaken in my belief.

On one hand, we have an example of Sri Guru Amar Das Ji Sahib, who even at the ripe age of 80s, continue His kirt-kamaee. On the other hand, we also have an example of Sri Guru Angad Dev Sahib Ji, who continued to get out of His business as it started expanding. In other words, suppose He was earning Rs 100. Now when His business started giving Him Rs 125, he started devoting 25% less time to his business.

Sorry for diverting from the original topic!
Bhai Kulbir Singh Jeo - what do you think about the hypothetical situation above?
December 07, 2011 03:11AM
ns44 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
i disagree with
> Kulbir Singh where he says :
>
> "One's occupation should be such that is does not
> get into one's way of doing Bandagi."
>
> if one's mind is connected to Waheguru -Gurbani as
> much as possible while working - then there is no
> need to give up any profession or job.

So NS44 jeeo if one is connected to Waheguru is it right to work in a store and sell tobacco and alcohol? There are professions which give you money but may not be ethical as per Gurmat standards. So Gurikhs should avoid them as far as possible and some professions are a definitely NO-NO.

On the other hand as Kulbir Singh veerji has said that the aim is to get Darshan.... otherwise one should not just run away from doing kirat by justifying it stops him/her from doing Naam abhyaas. When daas was in University one of the singhs was there for nearly 9 years. He didn't use to give exams and used to stay in college campus. His parents went to Amrit Sanchar and requested the Panj to remind him of his wordly duties. When he was asked to present himself in the amrit sanchaar mandal this singh said "Ji padhaai kardeyaan surat nahin tikdi naam abhyaas vich." Panj told him then why is he wasting his parents money staying in the college for 9 years. If education is a hinderance go and do some other job where you don't need education. You can not just say that ki men Naam japna hai te kamm nahin kar sakda or padhai nahin kar sakda. Kirat is a must for every gursikh.
December 07, 2011 09:05AM
thanks for the advice sangat jee.
December 07, 2011 12:58PM
akaal74 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> So NS44 jeeo if one is connected to Waheguru is it
> right to work in a store and sell tobacco and
> alcohol? There are professions which give you
> money but may not be ethical as per Gurmat
> standards. So Gurikhs should avoid them as far as
> possible and some professions are a definitely
> NO-NO.

Don't take my words out of context you know exactly where i am coming from .

Work the best you can - hardest you can - and strive to do as much naam/Gurbani kamai as well and don't forget - Gurdwarra seva - physical all of these are relevant. Build your own inventory of your life - see how you have been doing since taking amrit - or if you preparing for amrit - see how far and how much you can do instead of staying in the same pattern all ur life.

JPsingh77 jeeo - your arguments are flawed in a sense that your choosing depending on how much you earn!!! both are not interdependent of each other are they - and can never be - Almightys' bhagtee as a Sikh is a must and at least 10% of your time of 24 hours i.e. 2hours 40 mins must be spent in naam abhyaiaas daily on top of nitnem as a minimum daily -no matter how much work you're doing - in the end you have to do ardaas and beg for more. Of course there will be things that will tie you away from that - and none of us will ever be perfect - we have to keep trying - period
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login