ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

ਦੁਰਗਾ ਪਾਠ ਬਣਾਇਆ

Posted by MB Singh 
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

ਦੁਰਗਾ ਪਾਠ ਬਣਾਇਆ ਸਭੇ ਪਉੜੀਆਂ ॥
ਫੇਰਿ ਨ ਜੂਨੀ ਆਇਆ ਜਿਨਿ ਇਹ ਗਾਇਆ ॥੫੫॥

With respect to all here, I request that, I had never been able to understand, what do these pankities convey. Guru Sahib composed the BANI, we now. Then what does ਦੁਰਗਾ ਪਾਠ ਬਣਾਇਆ, means. Does it mean that Being the main character, DURGA was the reason behind this VAAR i.e. The VAAR is due to DURGA.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Durga Paath refers to the name of the bani. In puratan times this bani had two names.
Chandi ( Durga) Paath and Vaar Sri Bhagautee Ji KI ( Vaar of Sri Sahib). IF you look at the beginning
of the bani the sirlekh is written as
ਵਾਰ ਸ੍ਰੀ ਭਗਉਤੀ ਜੀ ਕੀ ॥ ਪਾਤਸਾਹੀ ੧੦ ॥

If you look at puratan literature the bani is referred to as Chandi Paath.

Nihang Singhs and NaamDharis started referring to this bani as Chandi Di Vaar, and in times of the
printing press this name was included in the pothi/gutka sahibs. None of the hand writtten puratan saroops have the
name Chandi Di Vaar. In the past this bani was known as CHandi Paath/Durga Paath and specifically
titled as Vaar Sri Bhagautee Ji KI . Even in some of BHai Kahn SInghs writings he refers to the bani
as Bhagauti Ki Vaar. Unfortunately, many people including myself start using the modern name.

We do not read the lines

ਦੁਰਗਾ ਪਾਠ ਬਣਾਇਆ

as ਦੁਰਗਾ, ਪਾਠ ਬਣਾਇਆ

This would mean Durga created this prayer.

Instead we say "ਦੁਰਗਾ ਪਾਠ" ਬਣਾਇਆ sabh paureeaa

Meaning Guru Sahib created this prayer in which he used the character Durga to
glorify shakti of Sri Bhagautee Ji ( Sri Sahib).
So much of thanks Veer Ji. I never thought like that.

And It must be called by its original real name. I agree with you. It is more soothing and respectful Thanks again.
no problem Veer Ji thanks for allowing me to recite the
words ਵਾਰ ਸ੍ਰੀ ਭਗਉਤੀ ਜੀ ਕੀ
Also please help me understand, that "good vs evil" point. I feel that Guru Sahib did narrate the war in the VAAR, but He never labelled that DURGA was good and others were bad.
ਤੈ ਹੀ ਦੁਰਗਾ ਸਾਜਿ ਕੈ ਦਾ ਨਾਸੁ ਕਰਾਇਆ ॥
ਤੈਥੋਂ ਹੀ ਬਲੁ ਰਾਮ ਲੈ ਨਾਲ ਬਾਣਾ ਦਹਸਿਰੁ ਘਾਇਆ ॥
ਤੈਥੋਂ ਹੀ ਬਲੁ ਕ੍ਰਿਸਨ ਲੈ ਕੰਸੁ ਕੇਸੀ ਪਕੜਿ ਗਿਰਾਇਆ ॥
We know by our learned knowledge that ਦੈਤ, ਦਹਸਿਰੁ, ਕੰਸੁ were evil doers, but please let me know, where guru Sahib is saying so.There is Gurbani, which says God protects His Bhagats, we know that.
Any pankiti in the VAAR, which says DURGA was good or represented Goodness? Please?
Chandi Di Vaar or Vaar sri bhagauti ji ki is in praise of akal purakh symbolized by Bhagauti ( Sri sahib).

ਚਾਰੇ ਜੁਗ ਕਹਾਣੀ ਚਲਗਿ ਤੇਗ ਦੀ ॥
चारे जुग कहाणी चलगि तेग दी ॥
The story of the sword will be related in all the four ages.

Vaar sri Bhagauti ji ki

Also please help me understand, that "good vs evil" point. I feel that Guru Sahib did narrate the war in the VAAR, but He never labelled that DURGA was good and others were bad.
ਤੈ ਹੀ ਦੁਰਗਾ ਸਾਜਿ ਕੈ ਦਾ ਨਾਸੁ ਕਰਾਇਆ ॥
ਤੈਥੋਂ ਹੀ ਬਲੁ ਰਾਮ ਲੈ ਨਾਲ ਬਾਣਾ ਦਹਸਿਰੁ ਘਾਇਆ ॥
ਤੈਥੋਂ ਹੀ ਬਲੁ ਕ੍ਰਿਸਨ ਲੈ ਕੰਸੁ ਕੇਸੀ ਪਕੜਿ ਗਿਰਾਇਆ ॥
We know by our learned knowledge that ਦੈਤ, ਦਹਸਿਰੁ, ਕੰਸੁ were evil doers, but please let me know, where guru Sahib is saying so.There is Gurbani, which says God protects His Bhagats, we know that.

Veer Ji in the verses you provided GUru Sahib mentions how AKal Purakh empowered some to destroy tyrants ( evil doers).
The ones being destroyed in those verses are ( Ravan, Kans, and Mahakhsur) We know these people
did evil and they were tyrants. Krishna and Raam chander may have not had a flawless character but it is
mentioned in the ancient stories they were good and did good by destroying evil ( the tyrants).

In a previous thread when I said the banis is about a battle between good and bad I didntmean to say Durga is good
and Mahakhsur is evil. I should have been clear in saying Mahakhsur as a tyrant was doing evil and causing
disorder in the heavens. Durga was doing good in helping the helpless Indra.

Guru Sahib does not specifically say Chandi, Krishna etc are good. Titles of "good" and "evil" are not needed.
Goodness and badness is an avasta and its label should be avoided. In the west there is a famous quote

"Every Saint has a past and every Sinner has a future"

While its true nobody can be referred to as Good or Evil we all know that Good and Evil exist, and Guru Sahib
is telling us to have the courage to battle evil. Many people might claim " what is the point of reciting this bani when
we are no longer in battles" Everyday we are in a battle between good and evil. May Guru Sahib give us the courage
to do good ( Gurmat) over evil. ( manmat) May Guru Sahib bless us with a warrior mind which doesnt submit to evilness ( Durmat)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login