ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

great video about GUrmukhi

Posted by Sukhdeep Singh 
great video about GUrmukhi
December 01, 2011 01:33PM
Coming from a non practicing Sikh family I came into Sikhi in a later age.
Unfortunately I did not have formal lessons in learning Gurmukhi.
In fact, I learned to read Gurmukhi by listening to Kirtan .
Im still lazy in learning GUrmukhi properly; however, I find the following
video inspiring to learn Gurmukhi.

[www.youtube.c...be_gdata_player]

What a wondeful video! I was disappointed that they did not finish the modern Gurmukhi alphabet.
They omitted the sounds which are usually used when reciting Arabic/persian words. Letters
such as gagga pehra bindi and Jijja pehra bindi are often used in Gurmat. For example
if we read the following pangti as written the proper meaning changes

ਜਮੁ ਜਾਗਾਤੀ ਦੂਜੈ ਭਾਇ ਕਰੁ ਲਾਏ ॥

Jaag means to wake and we say Jamdoots will wake us if we forget WaaheGuru.
But if we add zazza and gagga pehra bindi then the words Jaagat turns into Zakaat , and the meaning turns
into those who forget Waaheguru ( love another) they get taxed by death ( they die).

Gurmukhi is truly a cosmoplitan language as it purposely includes many languages. Gurmukhi
does not just mean knowing Punjabi. Gurmukhi contains numerous ancient languages.
In Puratan times, SInghs had an extensive Persian,Hindi, and Arabic vocabulary. They were familar
with the many dialects written in Gurbani. Unfortunately after the Indian partition the usage of many
Persian/Arabic words have become less popular among the SIkh population. This is a great misforture. Much
of Gurbani includes persian words. Before Guru Sahib departed he gave Hukum to Singhs that they
should learn the writings of Bhai GUrdAS Ji and BHai Nand SIngh Ji. Most of BHai Nand SIngh Jis writings
are in persian. These writings are a treasure of knowledge , but many of us are blind to these wonderful
mind awakening writings. There is a reason why Guru Sahib titled one of BHai Sahibs writings as ZINGIDINAMA.
In addition, one cannot recite Gurbani properly unless they have a basic understanding
of Arabic and Persian sounds in Gurbani.

Below I have a made an meager attempt to finish the prose in the video. Im uneducated so most likely
I have made some mistakes.

ਸ਼ਸ਼ਾ, "ਸ਼ਬਦ ਗੁਰੂ" ਸ਼ੁਧ ਉਚਰੋ ਖ਼ਖ਼ਾ , ਖ਼ਾਲਸਾ ਬੋਲੀ ਨਾ ਛਡੋ ਗ਼ਗ਼ਾ, ਗ਼ਜ਼ਲਾਂ ਦਾ " ਗੁਰਮੁਖ ਗੋਯਾ" ਸਿਖਲੋ ਜ਼ਜ਼ਾ, ਜ਼ਿੰਦਗੀਨਾਮਾ ਓ ਜ਼ਫ਼ਰਨਾਮਹ ਪ੍ਯਾਰ ਨਾਲ ਪੜੋ ਫ਼ਫ਼ਾ, ਫ਼ਾਰਸੀ ਅਤੇ ਅਰਬੀ ਧੁਨੀ ਵੀ ਬੋਲੋ

Shasha, recite the Guru words with fluency
Khakha, do not let go of Khalsa Jargon
Ghgha, learn Ghalzals written by the Gurmukh Goya ( Bhai Nand SIngh Ji)
Zaza- With loving devotion recite Zindiginama and Zaffarnama
Faffa- Also recite the sounds of Arabic and Persian when reciting Gurbani
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: great video about GUrmukhi
December 01, 2011 02:03PM

Jaag means to wake and we say Jamdoots will wake us if we forget WaaheGuru.
But if we add zazza and gagga pehra bindi then the words Jaagat turns into Zakaat , and the meaning turns
into those who forget Waaheguru ( love another) they get taxed by death ( they die).

Good one to point out the difference between Zakaat and Jaag. Secondly, you have translated ਜਮੁ as death as opposed to messenger of death. Normally, ਜਮੁ means messenger of death as opposed to death itself.

Shasha, recite the Guru words with fluency
Khakha, do not let go of Khalsa Jargon
Ghgha, learn Ghalzals written by the Gurmukh Goya ( Bhai Nand SIngh Ji)
Zaza- With loving devotion recite Zindiginama and Zaffarnama
Faffa- Also recite the sounds of Arabic and Persian when reciting Gurbani

Shasha - Shaam-e-gham noo Shaam-e-Bandagi vich Tabdeel karo, Naam japp japp ke.
Khakha - Khargosh vaang chust, te sada Khush rehna hai.
Ghagha - Ghaafal asee hoye haan, Gham door karo, Maharaaj jee. Ghame-Duniya taun vee vadda hai Ghame-ishqe-haqeeqi. Daya Karo Bhagvaan.
Zazza - Zakhme-Maya Naasoor bann rahe ne, Maya Zulm kar rahee hai, Zoraavar Vaheguru, Madad karo.
Faffa - Fanaah ho jaana Duniya ne, na iss naal chitt laao.

Kulbir Singh
December 01, 2011 02:17PM
Bhai Sukhdeep Singh jeeo

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

"Before Guru Sahib departed he gave Hukum to Singhs that they
should learn the writings of Bhai GUrdAS Ji and BHai Nand SIngh Ji."

Is this written in Suraj Parkash or some other historical granth? Please provide the source veer ji.

It would be good to see sources which tell us to read baanis of bhai Gurdas ji and bhai Nand Lal Singh ji.

Guru Rakhe
December 01, 2011 02:51PM
I'm still confused as to why native punjabi speakers pronounce zero "jero" and "phor" instead of "four" when the zaza and fafa akhars are used in Gurmukhi!
Gupt 1

According to Giani Gurbachan Singh Ji Khalsa he mentions Guru Sahib
gave sangat numerous hukums at DamDama Sahib, and one of them
was to read the meanings of Bhai Gurdas Jis and BHai Nand SIngh Ji writings,
and have full faith in banis in Sri Dasam Granth.

I'm still confused as to why native punjabi speakers pronounce zero "jero" and "phor" instead of "four" when the zaza and fafa akhars are used in Gurmukhi!

I think its difficult to train the tongue a new sound. The usage of the sounds w,z are not common
among native punjabi speakers from the villages.

I remember my friends who were born in Punjab often use to say

"Vich vay do vee go" or " His jipper is open"

Most people I know recite Razaee ( gods will) as Rajaee ( quilt).I think if the partition did not
take place we would have a better understanding of these different sounds in Gurbani.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login