ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

degh

Posted by gurus babiha 
degh
November 03, 2011 09:53PM
vaheguru ji ka khalsa vaheguru ji ki fateh can any one please tell me the recipie if degh. Iate degh at a smagam once and it was very very very very tasty.
Vaheguru ji ka khalsa vaheguru ji ki fateh.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: degh
November 04, 2011 07:05AM
How to make Degh

[www.gurmatbibek.com]
November 04, 2011 12:23PM
On this subject i must stresss the biggest disrespect to degh is when we show a sign of fingers in a form of a little peanut - wanting only a little bit. Gift of Guru Sahiban should be taken wholesomely - off topic but related - apologies in advance
November 07, 2011 10:22AM
ns44 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> On this subject i must stresss the biggest
> disrespect to degh is when we show a sign of
> fingers in a form of a little peanut - wanting
> only a little bit. Gift of Guru Sahiban should be
> taken wholesomely - off topic but related -
> apologies in advance

Although I fully agree with the Degh = Kirpa of Guru sahib. Does any one knows how gursikhs who might have be diagnosed with Diabetes handle this?
November 08, 2011 03:55PM

On this subject i must stresss the biggest disrespect to degh is when we show a sign of fingers in a form of a little peanut - wanting only a little bit. Gift of Guru Sahiban should be taken wholesomely - off topic but related - apologies in advance

If a person has a simple diet and eats in small proportions there is nothing wrong with asking for less. Also, if a person has a medical
condition there is nothing wrong with asking for less.

Guru Sahib gives hukum to distribute equally so we dont show favoritism to kin, friends, or those in higher social positions. Guru Sahib says the poor and the rich should be seen with an equal eye.This doesnt mean if someone volunteers to have less or more they are being disrespectful.

Personally, I believe the biggest disrespect is when people eat degh or guru ka langar without doing panj ishnaan. I have seen many times people walk into Darbar Sahib or Langar hall without doing panj ishnaan.
November 08, 2011 04:01PM
Good point ns44 jee.

Daas used to do degh sevaa a while back, must say, it was very annoying when people would gesture to have little degh given to them.

A fellow degh sevaadaar, upon my return after distributing degh commented.

Singh, jeraa thoree degh mangdaa, usnu double gaffey dee kirpaa karnee, theekaa ?
November 08, 2011 08:05PM

A fellow degh sevaadaar, upon my return after distributing degh commented.

Singh, jeraa thoree degh mangdaa, usnu double gaffey dee kirpaa karnee, theekaa ?

Why on earth would you do that ? The purpose of serving sangat is to serve sangat not
displease sangat. Just curious was the fellow sevadar Jaspreet SIngh ( haha)
November 08, 2011 08:45PM
Sukhdeep Singh Veer,

The sevadaar was not Baba Jaspreet Singh jee.

Guroo Sahib is also pleasing sangat in jatha samagams with Atut Degh Gaffey, some people will eat outside without any guilt but will refuse deg for "health reasons"
November 09, 2011 09:26AM
Upkaar SIngh Veer Jeeo,

Sangat is the roop of Guru Sahib when serving them we must do so with reverence, and no pre-judgements.
If we serve sangat in such a manner there is much fruit to bear.

Many Punjabi people are overweight and on the verge of obesity. Think if some overweight person asked for less degh or langar would it be right
to reject him of his request? The serving of langar is no different then the serving of Degh. Both are holy because
Gurbani Naam was recited when preparing these dishes. If sangat for whatever reasons want less this is their choice.
You cant force Kirpa on anyone. Kirpa is without force. Guru Sahib only forbids us from giving more or less to a person
because of their social status.
November 09, 2011 09:40AM
Today people have more faith in medical science than in the wisdom of our All-Knowing Guru Sahib. They think that Degh is a very unhealthy food since it contains so much sugar and gheo. They think that consuming such rich food as Degh, they will develop medical problems e.g. cholesterol increase. Perhaps, Karah can cause these problems but Karah-Parshaad i.e. True Degh, can only do good and nothing bad, even in dreams. It's lack of faith in people today, which prompts them to signal for less Degh.

It can be understood if a really sick person, and who has less faith signalling for less Degh but when you see, young, healthy Gursikhs signalling for less Degh, you can only conclude that they don't have Guru Sahib's Kirpa. It is an acceptable notion within Gursikhs that a person who is not fond of Degh is a "Dusht Atma". A person who likes Degh and can consume large quantities of Degh is a good Atma.

I totally agree that if a healthy person asks for less Degh, he should be ignored and a normal Gapha (if not double) should be served to that person.

Here is a poem on people who refuse to take normal gapha of Degh and signal for less Degh:

ਨਵੀਨ ਸਿਖ ਦੇਗ਼ ਨੂੰ ਦੇਖ ਕੇ ਨੱਕ ਸਕੋੜਨ।
ਦੇਗ਼ ਆਉਦੀ ਦੇਖ ਕੇ ਦੂਜੇ ਪਾਸੇ ਮੂੰਹ ਮੋੜਨ।
ਕਹਿਣ ਸਾਡਾ ਕਲਿਸਟਰੋਲ ਬਹੁਤ ਵਧ ਜਾਊ।
ਅਖੇ ਘਿਓ ਖਾਣ ਨਾਲ ਸਾਡੀ ਉਮਰ ਘਟ ਜਾਊ।
ਓਇ ਭੋਲਿਓ ਗੁਰੂ ਦੀ ਦੇਗ਼ ਹੈ ਰੋਗ-ਖੰਡਨ।
ਦੁਖਾਂ ਦਾ ਨਾਸ ਕਰ ਦੇਵੇ ਇਹ ਸੁਖ-ਮੰਡਨ।
ਡਾਕਟਰਾਂ ਦਾ ਕਿਹਾ ਕੋਈ ਪੱਥਰ ਤੇ ਲਕੀਰ ਨਹੀਂ।
ਜੋ ਦੇਗ਼ ਤੇ ਸੰਕਾ ਕਰੇ ਉਹ ਗੁਰਸਿਖ ਫਕੀਰ ਨਹੀਂ।
ਜੋ ਦੇਗ਼ ਦਾ ਗੱਫਾ ਲੈਣ ਵੇਲੇ “ਸਬਾਇਆ” ਕਹੇ।
ਉਹ ਨਾਮ ਕਮਾਈ ਆਪਣੀ ਐਵੇਂ ਹੀ ਜ਼ਾਇਆ ਕਰੇ।
ਬੁਰੇ ਕੰਮ ਕਰਨ ਵੇਲੇ ਕਦੇ ਨਾ “ਸਬਾਇਆ” ਕਹਿੰਦੇ।
ਦੇਗ਼ ਛਕਣ ਵੇਲੇ ਪਤਾ ਨਹੀਂ ਕਿਉਂ ਰੋਂਦੇ ਰਹਿੰਦੇ।
ਦੁਸ਼ਟ ਆਤਮਾ ਹੁੰਦੀ ਜੋ ਦੇਗ਼ ਤੋਂ ਮੂੰਹ ਫੇਰੇ।
ਗੁਰਾਂ ਦੀ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਕਦੇ ਉਹਦੇ ਨਾ ਆਵੇ ਨੇਰੇ।
ਕੁਲਬੀਰ ਸਿੰਘ ਦੀ ਇਕ ਨੇਕ ਸਾਲਾਹ ਹੈ ਯਾਰੋ।
ਦੇਗ਼ ਛਕਣ ਤੋਂ ਕਦੇ ਨਾ ਪਾਸਾ ਯਾਰੋ ਮਾਰੋ।

Kulbir Singh
November 09, 2011 10:03AM

It's lack of faith in people today, which prompts them to signal for less Degh.

It can be understood if a really sick person, and who has less faith signalling for less Degh but when you see, young, healthy Gursikhs signalling for less Degh, you can only conclude that they don't have Guru Sahib's Kirpa.

This is not true in all cases.I am a young and healthy person and I always request small amounts of degh or langar even when it is prepared according to maryada. Guru Sahib gives Hukum to eat little and because of my strict diet I cannot eat large amounts of degh or langar. I feel extremely guilty and shameful If I eat more then my stomach can take. I wouldnt say I have less kirpa because I ask for less langar or degh when given.

Degh is usually given at the end of a program by this time I have already eaten my meal for the day and thus there is not enough capacity to put big amounts of deg in my stomach. Guru Sahib gives hukum not to starve yourself but at the same time not to overfill yourself.
Also, because of my vegan diet I like to minimize my consumption of degh.

Besides the eating of DEgh and Guru Ka Langar Im pretty much vegan and I have no health problems with cholesterol. So its not always the case that people ask for small amounts due to insecure health reasons or lack of kirpa. Everyone has different circumstances and we shouldnt be so quick to judge a person who ask for less amounts of degh or langar.
November 09, 2011 10:13AM

I feel extremely guilty and shameful If I eat more then my stomach can take. I wouldnt say I have less kirpa because I ask for less langar or degh when given.

Not accepting normal gapha of Degh (coming from Guru Sahib), even if you are healthy, is not a sign of Chardi Kala, in my humble opinion.

If we are Tyaar-bar-Tyaar i.e. if we are not Tankhaaye or Patit, then it is our duty (it's not optional) to accept Punj Pyare Degh and if we do accept Punj Pyare Degh, then we have to take another Gapha of Degh, for ourself because the previous Gapha of Punj Pyare is considered to be Gapha of Punj Pyare, not ours.

In any case, I did not make up this. Bhai Jagtar Singh jee used to say that liking Degh is a sign of Chardi Kala (of course this is not the only sign though, there are other factors too). Singhs say that one who refuses normal gapha of Degh is a Dusht Atma. Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee writes about eating Khulay Gaphe of Degh, very fondly citing example of Bhai Mani Singh jee Shaheed.

Please don't think that this is geared towards you, Veer Sukhdeep Singh jee. This is comments in general. If Singhs are not going to consume Degh, then are Bahmans and Mullahs going to eat it? ਸਿੰਘ ਸਰਦਾਰ ਹੈ ਹੀ ਉਹ ਜੋ ਦੇਗ ਦਾ ਸ਼ੁਕੀਨ ਹੋਵੇ ਤੇ ਵਿਗਸ ਵਿਗਸ ਕੇ ਦੇਗ ਛਕੇ।

Kulbir Singh
November 09, 2011 10:17AM
jad milda degh da khulla gapha
parteet hove mere Saajan da japha smiling smiley
November 09, 2011 11:08AM
Sukhdeep Singh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's lack of faith in people today, which prompts
> them to signal for less Degh.
>
> It can be understood if a really sick person, and
> who has less faith signalling for less Degh but
> when you see, young, healthy Gursikhs signalling
> for less Degh, you can only conclude that they
> don't have Guru Sahib's Kirpa.
>
> This is not true in all cases.I am a young and
> healthy person and I always request small amounts
> of degh or langar even when it is prepared
> according to maryada. Guru Sahib gives Hukum to
> eat little and because of my strict diet I cannot
> eat large amounts of degh or langar. I feel
> extremely guilty and shameful If I eat more then
> my stomach can take. I wouldnt say I have less
> kirpa because I ask for less langar or degh when
> given.
>
> Degh is usually given at the end of a program by
> this time I have already eaten my meal for the day
> and thus there is not enough capacity to put big
> amounts of deg in my stomach. Guru Sahib gives
> hukum not to starve yourself but at the same time
> not to overfill yourself.
> Also, because of my vegan diet I like to minimize
> my consumption of degh.
>
> Besides the eating of DEgh and Guru Ka Langar Im
> pretty much vegan and I have no health problems
> with cholesterol. So its not always the case that
> people ask for small amounts due to insecure
> health reasons or lack of kirpa. Everyone has
> different circumstances and we shouldnt be so
> quick to judge a person who ask for less amounts
> of degh or langar.

Veerji, I understanding your point on eating little, but taking less degh is ludicrous! Degh is the healthiest, most naam-filled and best thing for excercise/shaster vidya. There is NO way that degh or langar can cause cause any health problems. Ignoring the naam-abiyass part, looking at degh strictly on a health aspect, as i've stated, there's no way it can do any arm. If we want to be like strong lke puratan Gursikhs, then its neccessary to eat as much degh as much possible, along with excercise. That is the most ideal, however even if you don't excercise, it will still raise your spirits and increase ethe bir rass that flows through ones blood, but it is best to eat degh along with excercise and learning shaster vidya.

I don't know if this comes as hunkaree,but dass feels like he could eat a whole giant bata of degh by himself every morning, I've never understood how people can say no to even a single gupha.
November 09, 2011 12:23PM
Sukhdeep Singh jee, I think you are becoming an apostate of your religion "Veganism" by consuming Degh, even if you ask for small amounts. If you want full khushi of Mata Kali, and continued to being blessed with Mata Kali's Bana, I suggest you completely stop taking Degh. Only then, will you be a pure disciple of Mata Kali.

JAI MATA DI!
November 09, 2011 12:29PM
hahaha
November 09, 2011 02:47PM
Gurman Singh Veer Ji,

Nowhere have I said that degh should be avoided for health reasons or any other reasons.
I simply stated people have different reasons for asking for small amounts. My particular
reason is I try to follow GUrus Hukum of eating small portions of food to.the best of my ability
I feel guilty If I overfill my stomach since GUru Amar Das Ji says not to overfill the stomach.
Its not about gaining weight or being unhealthy. For me its about following GUru Jis hukum.

Jaspreet Singh-

The diet I follow is between me and Guru Gobind SIngh Ji. If you and others think Guru Sahib
is disappointed in me for trying to practice compassion to the best of my ability then this is your
choice.
November 09, 2011 02:51PM

If we are Tyaar-bar-Tyaar i.e. if we are not Tankhaaye or Patit, then it is our duty (it's not optional) to accept Punj Pyare Degh.

I agree if you are doing panj pyaarey seva then you shouldnt turn down the amount given.

f we do accept Punj Pyare Degh, then we have to take another Gapha of Degh, for ourself because the previous Gapha of Punj Pyare is considered to be Gapha of Punj Pyare, not ours

I was not familiar with this rehat of taking another gapha. Im curious does the same logic
apply when distributing langar seva to panj. Do the panj sevadars eat again since previous
langar was given to Panj?
November 09, 2011 03:36PM

I was not familiar with this rehat of taking another gapha. Im curious does the same logic
apply when distributing langar seva to panj. Do the panj sevadars eat again since previous
langar was given to Panj?

There is no Maryada of distributing Langar first to Punj and then to Sangat, as is the case with Degh. Yes, it is Maryada to take second Gapha of Degh, if one accepts Degh for Punj.

Kulbir Singh
November 09, 2011 05:26PM
love that poem veer Kulbir Singh jeeeo

nothing from the gifts of Guru sahib is deterimental in any way shape or form - period.

sure thing if one wants less then best of luck
November 09, 2011 08:46PM

If you want full khushi of Mata Kali, and continued to being blessed with Mata Kali's Bana, I suggest you completely stop taking Degh. Only then, will you be a pure disciple of Mata Kali.

Jaspreet Singh Jeeo,

I dont know why you are under the impression that I am a follower of Mata Kali. I never once made such a claim. All I
said was the verses of BHai Kesar SIngh Ji mentioning of " Mata Kali Bana" is symbolic to demonstrate war like attire of
Khaksa Fauj. Many times in Gurbani the character Durga has been portrayed symbolically to deliver a message. Take the following verse
from Sarab Loh granth

ਮਾਤ ਭਗਵਤੀ ਪਿਤਾ ਕਾਲਪੁਰਖ, ਗੋਦ ਲਿਯੋ ਦੈ ਖਾਸ ਪਲੀ ॥

Here Bhagwatee ( mata kali) is symbolic and is meaning God is the mother and father who specially protects
us in his lap.You need to understand these mythlogical idioms were used during those times as people could understand
such symbolic language.

One more time Im not a follower of Mata Kali. I never claimed she gave us Khalsa Bana nor did I ever claim Hanuman
gave us kashera. If you believe Im an RSS agent you are more then free to come to California and see for yourself.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login