ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Thoughts?

Posted by InderpreetKaur 
Thoughts?
October 15, 2011 05:14PM
I saw this video yesterday, and was quite shocked at what extend these young Singhs have gone to show their skills. But is there a line that should be drawn. I mean they were literally bleeding at the end for the sake of entertainment, or maybe Parchaar. I can be wrong, but what are your thoughts? Maybe I am thinking too much. :/

Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Thoughts?
October 16, 2011 06:28AM
It saddens me that shastar vidiya parchar was done by great gursikhs like bhai fauja singh, akali kaur singh, baba giana singh who not only had incredible jeevans but great warfare skills, i agree doing parchar through the media is improtant but to bleed and smash sticks, boards etc against your body doesnt show true strength. The way gatka is presented now is more a show peice than a martial art instead of learning to defend our selves in real life situations we do pretend fighting. Learn shastar vidiya but also learn other martial art disciplines so you can be an all round fighter.
October 16, 2011 04:29PM
Shashtar Vidia Is a failed aspect in my life.

But I know an ustad who I have spent some time with.

he mentioned something along the lines of.

1. Doing and co-ordinating naam abhyaas with vaars
2. Doing Shashtar naam mala - chandi dee vaar - etc bir rasiaa banian co-ordinated with vaars.

He said, it's the right way to measure timing of vaars and increase stamina, and get guroo sahibs strenghts in vaars.

not sure how many people teach THAT today!
October 16, 2011 04:31PM
As far as the video above is concerned.

kudos to those who have the ability and strength to undergo such horrors.

Gurmat wise, I wouldn't call it gatka, there was more smashing and tortures involved than skill, and it was done to amuse people on an entertainment show.

Great power from great singhs.

But wouldn't call it gatka.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login