ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Steps in keeping Dietry Bibek

Posted by gsingh 
Steps in keeping Dietry Bibek
March 02, 2010 05:07PM
Waheguru jee ka khalsa waheguru jee kee fateh

Since august daas has been keeping a small dietry bibek, no eating out, no chocolate, caffeine(coke, pepsi) and a lot of other food... and now i feel that iv gotten strong enough and want to take the next step... maybe not sarbloh yet but definetly steel soon... i was wondering if anyone can give me a small guide or how they adapted to strict bibek. like for example daas doesnt eat bread but i do eat cookies and cereal that is processed(should i stop eating this?) and any tips on how i can get a stricter diet? i just wanted like some tips maybe a small little guide on how other gurmuks on here have taken up dietry bibek. and alternatives to everyday normal foods like ceral and cookies or bars...

thanks

Gagan Singh
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
VahegurooJeeKaaKhalsaa VahegurooJeeKeeFatheh Dear Veer,

I'll let the likes of Bhaee Kulbir Singh and the older singhs help you with most of your questions. Daas is walking on a path similar to yours, to hopefully get kirpaa of sarabloh pehraa one day. I wanted to talk about your cookies and cereal issue.

Cookies can be VERY VERY easily made at home. Simple recipes. Different types as well. You don't even need to use egg. Egg simply softens the cookie and makes is chewy. If you want that, use egg replacers or "dahi". The process doesn't take that long. I prefer to make snacks (cookies etc) Sunday night, before school starts for a week, and I stock up for the whole week or two =P lol

Basically I wanted to say, have a good intake of different daals. Daals carry the same nutrition that one derives from cereals. Also, veer, buy tons of fruit. Bananas, apples, grapes, strawberries and oranges. Whatever you like, and any time you want to munch on a snack quickly without too much hassle, wash a fruit and have that.

Two things are gained from this.

1) Essential Nutrients, this way our intake of fruits increases, which is crucial for a healthy lifestyle. (Especially for the Young and the Elderly)

2) This is a form of bibek where you will not be having processed foods, rather fruits etc.

Hope my 2 cents helped,

Apart from this, always do ardaas, Guroo Sahib Knows whats best for you!
If he thinks you're ready for bibek, you'll automatically start.
And eat from steel or sarabloh all the time. Glass and plastic are so bad for your health.
Search it up on google, you'll be surprised.
Also, try not to use microwave at all, COOK your food on the stove or oven. Much healthier and tastier!

VahegurooJeeKaaKhalsaa VahegurooJeeKeeFatheh
Daas
Tanvir Singh
one thing that helps me a lot is my love of cooking. cereal, cookies, bars, and bread can all be made at home. i've even made home-made chocolates. winking smiley

i recommend getting some good vegetarian/vegan cookbooks. there are a TON of them out there. there are also recipes for anything you can imagine online. if you have trouble converting recipes to veg/bibeki versions, just ask on here, one of the more experienced cooks is sure to help out. cooking is actually pretty easy, you just have to follow the instructions.

making your own food is very satisfying, as well as being healthier, both spiritually and physically. you just have to look at it like a treat, a fun project, rather than a chore.
The good thing is to give up non-Bibeki food right away. After Amrit Chhak we are under obligation to keep full rehit, right away.

The good thing of second level is to at least start keeping rehit as Veer Gagan Singh is doing. This is what this Daas suggests:

1) Firstly, give up eating from outside, i.e. at restuarants etc.

2) Eat only at home, food cooked at home.

3) Bread, cookies and cake can be made home, very easily. So stop eating these items if they are cooked outside.

3) Stop using all other utensils to eat, but Sarbloh. As a first step, you can start eating only in Sarbloh Baata. There is no need to make the transition from glass to steel and then to Sarbloh. Skip one step and come straight to Sarbloh. Ones who are blessed, love the sight of Sarbloh. They will love the taste of it and even the sight of it.

4) Slowly, start cooking in Sarbloh.

5) Stop eating from non-Sarbloh Utensils.

The steps above will vary person to person. Do as you feel comfortable but do remember that when we are Amritdhari, we are obligated to keep full Khalsa rehit. Guru Sahib kirpa karan.

An incident in my life occurred many many years ago. I was an Amritdhari but not a Sarblohi back then. I went to my Nanaka pind and my grandmother took me to Jaintipur (a small town) to meet Bhai Satnam Singh, a very chardi kala walay tyaar bar Tyaar Singh. She introduced me informing him that I was of the same Biraadari (community) as him. He was very pleased when he heard this. He did not know how to contain his happiness at the sight of a Singh. He grabbed his Sarblohi Baata and dashed outside to get something for me to eat. He had assumed that I was on a strict Sarbloh Bibeki rehit. He went to the fruit shop and grabbed some fruits. He went to the nearby handpump. He used sand to do Sudhaayee (cleaning) of the hand pump and then pumped it for about 4-5 minutes to get fresh cold water. His eyes were drenched with nectar of love. His face had so much humility that he had became an embodiment of humility. I on the other hand was feeling so ashamed that I wanted the Earth to open up and swallow me. This was one of the first time I drank water in Sarbloh. Honestly, it seemed as if there was lightening coming out of the water in that Baata. It seemed deeper than ocean. This is no exaggeration that just by looking at this baata of water, my thirst was quenched. I drank the water nevertheless. It was very tasty. I loved the taste of Sarbloh.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh
thanks everyone hopefully ill be checking out some recipies online soon and starting sarbloh soonspinning smiley sticking its tongue outthumbs upsmileys with beersmiling bouncing smileycool smiley
Gagan Singh Veere

there are recipes listed on this page:

[www.gurmatbibek.com]

Check these out because they have already been tried out by gursikhs and were probably successfultongue sticking out smiley

From my earlier post, if fruits get boring or you don't like them, Drink Lots Of Milk.
Samundar is great for bibekees and in generalthumbs up

VahegurooJeeKaaKhalsaa VahegurooJeeKeeFatheh
Tanvir Singh
water, milk
chips(aloo we call them chips in uk)
porridge oats
fruits
masraah dee dhaal
rice mixed with vegtables
aloo gobee

i started off just eating the above things, and i still do these are my main meals. I learned to cook more things, but the above is enough to survive day in day out.
vista ji, make sure you add dark green vegetables (saag, broccoli, etc) to this to get enough iron. smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login