ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Language of Gurbani

Posted by rsingh 
Language of Gurbani
October 07, 2011 03:06PM
What language is Gurbani from Sri Guru Granth Sahib Jee?

What I mean is, we know that the language of the Quran is Arabic so a Muslim will study Arabic for a better understanding of Quran, Hindu scriptures are written in Sanskrit so a Hindu will study Sanskrit for a better understanding of Hindu scriptures. Same thing with Buddhist scriptures where a Buddhist will study Pali for a better understanding of his scripture.

But what about Sikhs? how do we understand Gurbani? what is the language of Gurbani so we can study that language to gain a better understanding of Gurbani instead of always referring to steeks for help in understanding Sri Guru Granth Sahib Jee?
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Language of Gurbani
October 07, 2011 07:03PM
Once you start doing arth of Gurbani, you realize that most of Gurbani is in basic punjabi, but Guru Sahib has a way of saying things that you have to pick up, which doesn't take long to figure out.
Thus the main language is Punjabi

There are also grammatical rules that Guru Granth Sahib ji follows, which are known as viyakaran. Some viyakaran rules have been posted on this website already and with Guru Sahib's kirpa, more will come to follow.

Steek's are the best way to learn about Gurbani. Begin with Nitnem Banian, read the lines and aarth slowly, till you understand what each word means. A good source would be at www.srigranth.org. On the top right corner of the website, there is click-down bar that lets you add Professor Sahib Singh's Ji's steek along with the Gurbani. You can also click on anyword that you don't understand and it gives the meaning from mahan khosh. If you understand all the words in Nitnem Banian, then you have a very good base, and should understand Gurbani alot better, because many words are used over and over again. If you read at least one shabad everytime, while trying to understanding the full meanings, you will understand basic gurbani meanings in a short time
October 08, 2011 12:27PM
Gurbani contains words from Arabic, Persian, Punjabi, Hindi, and many other languages from the Eastern Hemisphere.
Sri Jap Ji Sahib, the first bani in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji and the first bani we recite daily is a prime example of Guru
Sahib using different languages which were familiar with the people of that time. According to Professor Sahib Singh, one
of the purposes of Gurbani Grammar is to cater to the different dialects in Gurbani.

Also, Gurbani is not in Punjabi language as commonly believed . Gurbai is in Gurmukhi, and Gurmukhi( GUrmat langauge) is distinct from Punjabi language or any other language contained in Gurbani. There are many words in Punjabi which have different meanings in GUrbani. For example, the Punjabi word "veechar" commonly means to contemplate,but in Gurmat the word veechar often means Abhyiias. Another word is "jhoot" in Punjabi culture the word Jhoota often refers to the leftover food of a person, but in Gurmukhi the word "jhoot" refers to food prepared by someone outside of Sikhi.

The only way we can understand Gurus language is by practicing what Guru Sahib teaches.
Many of the words in Gurmat language ( gurmukhi) are encrypted . Gurbani is an enigma and understanding its meanings brings us closer to true enlightenment. This is why Guru Sahib advises we keep company of learned Gurmukhs ( bibekee SInghs) and learn the meanings of Gurbani
from learned Gurmukhs who practice the Gurus teachings. Personally I like to learn from BHai Gurdas Ji, and Bhai Nand Lal Jis writings or any
other Gurmukhs who have and serve in the GUrus house.

I have seen many Kathvachiks explain meanings of Gurbani by breaking up the root words of Gurbani. For example, they say the word prem comes from the root words par ( above) and meh ( me). Meaning to go above the ego. WHile
this is a nice meaning; however, this method of learning Gurbani is a modern method which is borrowed from the Greeks. The proper way to learn
Gurus langauge is through keeping sangat of law abiding Gursikhs. There very presence is a divine library of Gurmat Knowledge.

ਸਤਸੰਗਤਿ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਚਟਸਾਲ ਹੈ ਜਿਤੁ ਹਰਿ ਗੁਣ ਸਿਖਾ ॥

Waaheguru.....
October 08, 2011 03:23PM
I also forgot to recommend some books which you can include in your Gurmat library.

1. Mahan Kosh- Is a Gurmat Encyclopedia written by panthic scholar BHai Kahn Singh Ji.
Though I may not agree with all his views on GUrmat Maryada and Sikh history never the less
Mahan Kosh is a great tool to learn the base meanings of difficult and uncommon Arabic, Farsi, Hindi, or Punjabi
words in GUrbani.

2. BHai Gurads Jis Vaaras- Bhai Gurdas Ji is thee scholar of Sikhi. GUru Arjan DEv Ji referred to his Vaars
as the " key to Gurbani" Guru Sahib says through BHai Sahibs vaars the deeper and mystical
meanings of Gurbani can be better understood.

Im sure there are many more Gurmat related books which aide in understanding but I believe these are two
most important items needed in a GUrmat library. Bhai Randhir SIngh Ji also has many great veechars on Gurmat.
Perhaps some other Gursikhs can recommend further books for Gurmat understanding.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login