ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Indian History

Posted by GurmanSingh 
Indian History
September 13, 2011 11:11AM
A Question for those who have studied in India...

How is Sikhi taught in Schools with regards to history? What is said about Sikhi in India from Guru Sahibs times? What is said about Khalsa Raj during Maharaj Ranjit's times? What else do you remember being taught about Sikhi in Indian history?
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Indian History
September 13, 2011 02:29PM
I studied in the Middle East but the school was an Indian school affiliated to the CBSE New Delhi board. There is a really small and minute (if I may say) mention of Sikhi or the Guru Sahibaan. In fact, Sikhi is brushed as part of the Bhakti movement. Guru Nanak started Sikhism...Guru Gobind Singh created Khalsa...that is basically it.
September 13, 2011 02:55PM
VahegurooJee I went to school in India till age 10. So can only provide information till that time.

I went to a Sikh School in Delhi. Although we had a Guroodvaraa on the school property, there was very little use of it. We were not required to go and do matha tekh to Guroo Saahib. In the morning there would be Hukamnamaa read and then Ardhaas. After that was the Jan Gan Mangal Indian National Anthem. I still don't know why we did it since the school I went to was one of the campsites during 1984 for Sikhs. We actually celebrated Nehru's day. I don't recall what the day was for but we used to get a banana and Pakorey. And then there were other Hindu holidays that we celebrated or had days off for. During Vaisakhee we did have langar though. Sorry if I am going off topic but I have to tell you how a Sikh School in Delhi used to or maybe still is working today.

We had a divinity class which was as close as we could get with learning about Guroo Saahibaan. It was a class where we learned Saakhees, and Baaniaa. Other than that the history classes mainly focused on outside world history (colonization), Indian history mainly the Independence Era, and Geography. They might have taught Sikh History later on, in senior classes but this is as far as I learned.

Another thing that still surprises me is that there was never a mention of 1984, the contribution of Sikhs in 1947, or anything like that. I along with many other students were just shown to believe that there is no better democracy in the world as India, and we are the same as Hindus (religion wise).

Personally speaking all the history I have learned relating to Sikhs and Sikhee has come to me from my family, and after coming out of that school. Other people might feel differently but this was my experience.
September 13, 2011 06:37PM
Inderpreet Kaur jee

what a small world

Daas also came to toronto from Delhi at age 10 and went to a "sardaaran daa school" in janakpuri (you will remember that name)

and yeah, pretty much, everyone was encouraged to speak hindi, we did jan gan mangal every morning followed by japjee sahib.

Only sikhee i know is from my parents, and after coming to canada say around 2006, i started exploring more.

otherwise, you hit the spot, i thought guroo nanak dev jee was hindu and we were same as hindus.

we can do rotee saanjh with hindus but not muslims.
September 13, 2011 08:25PM
lets not forget the

dont wash hair on this day
dont eat meat on this day
dont cut nails at night
dont swing you feet

crap that we put up with.

it plays no role in canada, but it's the official adopted rehit maryada of many sikhs in india
September 13, 2011 09:06PM
Vahegurooo..

Veer Upkaar Singh I hope we are not both talking about the same school. S.S. Mota Singh? Because that would really make this world way too small. haha
Now that you mentioned I do remember doing Japjee Saahib as well. It's been way too long for me. I came in 1999.
September 13, 2011 10:43PM

"sardaaran daa school" in janakpuri
Mota Singh school ?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login