ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

watching television

Posted by harinder_singh 
watching television
February 27, 2010 11:30AM
Shud serious seekers avoid television and watching cricket, footbal matches ?
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: watching television
February 27, 2010 12:27PM
TV is TB.
March 03, 2010 04:32PM
whats wrong with watching TV ?

As long as it's something clean like family shows, sports, or recently the olympics. There's nothing wrong in there is it? What's wrong with watching a family oriented movie every friday night? What's wrong with TV ?

The answer my dear veer = EVERYTHING

Yes, serious seekers should certainly avoid TV. I happen to be a big sports fan myself being a youth and everything. I also like laughing and having fun, hence comedy shows and movies should suit my taste.

There might be nothing wrong with WHAT we watch veer jee. The fact that WE ARE watching TV is wrong. LOL
It's one of the biggest wastes of time just like facebook on the computer. Also, in most cases, we promise ourselves that we will watch TV for only 30 minutes, but most of the time, maya is so addicting veere, we go for a good 60 to 90 minutes despite our promises made to self. The content of what we are viewing can be 100% clean and good. But moorakhs like myself should thank guroo sahib for that time and spend it reading some extra baanees we usually don't on an everday basis.

These can include:
Dakhnee Onkaar
Ramkalee Kee Vaar
Akaal Ustat
Basant Kee Vaar
Sukhmani Sahib

or do something gurmat related like read a book by bhai sahib or any gurmukh writer

Seriously veere, living in the western world, daas, as a student has time to spare once in a while. There have been instances in the past where I used to watch television to pass this time. Looking back at that now, I regret it so much. If nothing doing, I could have recited a large amount of simple chaupaee sahib de paath.

Yes, i admit once a month I sit down and watch discovery channel ONLINE. They have a beautiful show on endangered animals and plants that daas enjoys very much and I don't like missing. The show projects Guroo Sahib De Rang and his kudrat. Apart from this, I find TV addictive, and a waste of time.

News Channels are always biased
As far as weather is concerned, I don't believe in weather forecasts. hahaha
They have never been accurate enough for me, personally speaking.

Before I end, my mini essay here sounds very noble and intelligent veer, I want you to know, I was always in front of TV. Parents got cable connection cancelled, hence no more TV. And trust me, it's the best thing that ever happened. It made me realize the value of TIME. Gurooooo

There are many other things that can be taken care of instead of wasting away in front of the television.
Cricket seems to be an interest for you, go online after matches, look and scores and watch highlights.

Bhul Chuk Muaaf Karnee Veer Jee
VahegurooJeeKaaKhalsaa VahegurooJeeKeeFatheh
Daas
Tanvir Singh
March 03, 2010 06:45PM
Veer Ji uses the term "serious seekers." Certainly serious seekers are serious about each moment and activity. If games give a thrill to tired & uninspired mind, in few minutes, then watching these could be welcome. We have to have some stuff for general knowledge. But if the mind becomes dead to intution and dull to Gurmat after watching all that stuff; then certainly we have lost something precious. They look beautiful and attractive on TV. Their activities seem wonderful. And if they succeed to affect our minds, in that terms, we lose the chance to have inspiration from real sorrows and pains and happiness; which was likely to originate from sitting alone in the corner of a room or walking in nature.

I always advise to my children to play rather than to watch others play. (no body listens thoughsmiling smiley). Is it not foolish to watch others doing some physical exercise and having fun?

-------------------------

Well said Veer Tanvir Singh.
March 05, 2010 08:07AM
Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh

Watching television for entertainment is fine.

Little fun does no harm, on the other hand No Fun can harm !

From what i have observed that most of the couples who don't watch T.V or have any other source of entertainment end up having lot of kids.

So it's better to watch and have " Chotta pariwaar, sukhi pariwaar "

Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh
March 05, 2010 09:12AM
singhbj ji!

vaheguru ji ka khalsa vaheguru ji ki fateh!

Do you have any study on gurmukh couples with lot of kids because of NO tv? If not, then stop making Generalisations.

TV is another source of Maya and thats why its also called IDIOT BOX but with advent of new technologies and Internet, you can restrict TV watching by filtering programmes suitable to your Family.

Gurbani channels,News and Educational channels can be pretty good source for kids and adults.

Don't make TV something that you cannot live without, but use it with your own Bibek Budhi.

Bhul chuk Di Khima Ji

Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa
Vaheguru Ji Ki Fateh!
March 05, 2010 09:16AM
16.7 Sadhu Singh And TV
Taken from Baba Harnaam Singhs Autobiography

Once a lady came to Baba Harnaam Singh jee and said, "Baba jee, I have a brother who is quite physically and mentally disabled. He can neither hear or speak. He also has a difficult time walking. I used to take care of him but now I am married and must leave him behind. But I am afraid no one will take care of him after my departure. After much thought I come to you, Baba jee, please take care of him. He is a simpleton and needs love and patience."

Baba Harnaam Singh jee (rampur keRe vaale) was the personification of love and patience. He was simply a beautiful naami gursikh who lived a life according to the guru's will. His body and mind were imbued with naam. Love flowed from his face. (Those of you pyare who would like to get acquainted with him, please read "se keneha" by Bhai Seva Singh jee - a beautiful gem of a book.)

Baba jee smiled and said, "Biba, this is Guru Nanak Dev's jee ghar. The guru is the nimaNea da maN and nitaNea da taN. Please bring your brother, the guru will look after him."

The lady thanked him and next day, brought her brother to Baba jee. Her brother who was referred to as "Sadhu" was indeed a simpleton. His legs were quite bent which made his walk quite difficult and comical. Only with much difficult could he listen or speak. He also looked hungry, so Baba jee straight away sent him to the langar. After sometime the langar jathedar came running to Baba jee and said that Sadhu has already eaten eight rotis and wants more. "I am afraid he might get sick." he said. Baba jee laughed and said, "Let him eat his fill. Only the guru ghar can satiate a soul."

Sadhu ate twelve rotis before raising his arms in surrender and happiness.

Baba jee called him and said loudly in his ears, "VAAHI-GUROO VAAHI-GUROO."

Sadhu, after some difficult, started saying, "Wahe Duu Wahe Duu."

Baba jee was extremely happy and gave him a mala and showed Sadhu how to jap naam with it. Sadhu took the mala and started japping naam. At morning and evening nitnem time, Baba jee would call Sadhu to come and sit in sangat. Sadhu also started to work in the farm. And would always keep on saying "Wahe Duu Wahe Duu."

After three months, he became quite well both physically and mentally. He started walking much better and also could hear better. He now started saying "Wahe Guru Wahe Guru." He would never miss nitnem even though he did not understand anything. Baba jee told him to continue japping naam softly during nitnem. After six months, Sadhu became quite normal. He could walk quite well. He took on several easy responsibilities in the langar.

After a year or so, there was an amrit sanchar at the guru ghar. Baba jee requested the panj pyare to consider Sadhu for amrit. The panj pyare decided to give him the maha daat of amrit because of him simplity and record of naam japping and never missing nitnem. He was named Sadhu Singh.

After that, many changes started taking place within and without Sadhu Singh. He would always jap naam. Even during sleep several gursikhs heard him say, "Wahe Guru Wahe Guru." In fact, Baba jee too once came to see him during sleep. After hearing his jaap he was very pleased and told the oth they couldn't hear any sounds. (Such is the power of naam - ridi-sidis fall at simpleton's feet who jap naam.)

Sadhu Singh became quite famous. A lot of people started believing that Sadhu Singh's bachans (words) became true. And they would try to please him with clothes and food. His brother from Ludhiana who had never bothered with Sadhu Singh before stayed visiting him regularly. One day his brother decided to take Sadhu Singh to Ludhiana. As soon as Sadhu Singh was out of the fortress of sangat, Maya attacked! Sadhu Singh's brother had a Television set. Sadhu Sindh, being a simpleton, immediately became engrossed with it. He spent a week in Ludhiana and he watched the television from start to end.

When Sadhu Singh came back, he was a different man. Although he still carried the mala around and did "Wahe Guru Wahe Guru", his mind was engrossed with the scenes he had seen on television. In fact, he would tell anybody and everybody about it. He would say, "On the trolley (he called television trolley), there are mountains, women dancing, farms, even gurdrawas. People fight and die on trolley." Everyone was quite amused at first but then it became a serious problem since Sadhu Singh replaced govind ke gun with trolley ke gun! Baba Harnaam Singh jee scolded him and told him that sikhs don't watch television. Sadhu Singh asked, "Why?"

Baba jee replied, "Guru jee will not be pleased at you."

Sadhu Singh nodded but still went on singing the trolley's praises. This lasted about two months. After that Sadhu Singh somewhat returned to his old self, but the kalaa of naam diminished drastically. Although he didn't talk about the trolley that much, he was constantly thinking of it.

A few months later, Baba jee left this Earth and merged with the beloved. Baba Seva Singh jee took up the seva of gurdrawa maintenance (he still does).

Then Maya struck a fatal blow to Sadhu Singh; his sister took him with her to Delhi. The rest is a tragic story. Sadhu Singh stayed with her for one full month and watched television to his heart's content. He became a total bhagat of television.

There is more to this saakhi but I will end by saying that Sadhu Singh became so engrossed with television that even when he came back to the gurdrawa, he would still go to a nearby sikh's house at evening time. He no longer heard any an-had vajas. His naam took became a mere mouth function.

Such is the power of Maya. But Vaheguroo Jees Bhagats break through this bondage through tasting the and simaring, Naam/Banee.
March 05, 2010 11:39AM
What is the similarity in doing Naam Abhiyaas and watching TV?

It's ~*DHIAN*~.smiling smileysmiling smileysmiling smiley

Thats why when we watch scenes with NEGATIVITY in TV shows, they get recorded in our head and also trigger negative waves(thoughts) later on. Because we spent our ~*DHIAN*~ on it. (Have you noticed the mind is not running around???)

On the other hand, when we do Naam Abhiyaass , the activity of our mind slowed and ultimately paused when we go into samadhi. Anand is experienced because Naam is Amrit.Vahiguroo is Naam.
(that's why in Gurmat we need to jap Naam 24/7 through GurPrasad)
When all of ones ~*DHIAN*~ is on Naam, one experience anand because Vahiguroo is beyond sukh ans dukh. Vahiguroo is also Nirmal, hence filth of the mind is initially removed when one starts bhagti.

We need to be wise on how we spent our ~*DHIAN*~ through out the day.
Dhian can be said as a focus energy withing us.
If we waste it on TV then we wont be able to spend all of it on NAAM.(We also live grishti jivan, hence dhian for worldly task is also required e.g.work, studies, )
When we lack this focus energy(dhian) within us we tend to feel tired and sleepy.
Hence, TV should be highly limited in our jivan.

morakhpan di khimma bakshni ji.....

Chota veer
March 05, 2010 05:46PM
LOL

singhbj's posts are always amusing

Daas thought very deeply before writing my last post.
I also included personal experience, and thought about a couple of fellow singhs who went through this

They arn't married and neither am I
should we watch television to ourr heart's content?
and logically speaking my deer veer
i see not relation at all between watching television and having a ton of kids.

No veer
stay from such things
that should be our mission

I am sure we all read the following each and every day,
then why don't we follow it, isn't that why we read it, so its instilled in our hearts and minds pyarioo ?

eae naethrahu maeriho har thum mehi joth dhharee har bin avar n dhaekhahu koee ||
O my eyes, the Lord has infused His Light into you; do not look upon any other than the Lord.

har bin avar n dhaekhahu koee nadharee har nihaaliaa ||
Do not look upon any other than the Lord; the Lord alone is worthy of beholding.

GUROOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

think about it yourself

bhul chuk muaaf
vaheguroojeekaakhalsaa vaheguroojeekeefatheh

daas
tanvir singh
March 05, 2010 07:32PM
The observations of Singhbj, may have some logic. Pre television era was the era of big families. Gursikhs of present age may have those tendencies.
March 05, 2010 08:44PM
pyare gurmukhon
daas is taking a course in school right now called World Issues and Impacts

and we are also undertaking the study of small families these days and large families back in the day

now this may or may not imply to gursikhs and/or punjabi/indian culture, but our reasonings as researchers and opinions of experts are as follow:

1) women are entering workforce therefore having less children at later ages
2) women are focusing on careers instead of families
3) birth control methods are available
4) the cost of having a child these days is quite high (varies on your nation)
5) more children were needed back in the day (for labour purposes basically)
6) we all know, some families would keep having kids until a boy was born (boys were preferred over girls, they carry down family name and take care of parents in old age) etc. families were desperate for boys
my own grandmother has two older and five younger sisters, and then finally the youngest brother.

7) health care services wernt so advanced, many children died before reaching adulthood (smallpox, malaria, chicken pox)
thus families had more kids as insurance.

8) population crisis these days has led to poverty. villagers and the poor are educated on birth control methods and encouraged to not produce excessive offspring.
9) nations like china have introduced the one child policy, and have laid heavy fines on policy breakers resulting in small families.
10) manmukhs these days use abortion and other birth control methods because they do not want a child, but want to enjoy wordly pleasures of lust. this results in them doing their "deed" without producing offspring

these 9 factors, plus the 10th one which sikhee prohibits are leading factors of smaller families. Any gurmukha piaaraa reading the above will most likely agree that these are the differences that society poses in the present in comparison to the past. Yes the television was introduced at the same time when women were becoming prevailant in the workforce and focusing on their education and careers. So, it is possible to make that connection.

My intent is not at all to prove my veer singhbj wrong. However my intent is to suggest to our piariaan online sangataan that stay away from television. Not watching television will not result in a large family. Filtering what we watch is also quite silly. Daas might not be at a level where simran gives him anand and ras, but daas knows that this is my entertainment, playing tabla and vaja is my entertainment, spending time on gurmat bibek is my entertainment, reading bhai sahibaan's book is my entertainment. i get tired of school work and everything once in a while as well. I don't find television to be the answer of relaxing frankly.

the original post was concerning about serious seekers and in my opinion no serious seeker would waste time on television whether it is for a mere 10-15 minutes. They will be contemplating on gurbaanee and amrit naam

that is my intent here jeeo. To answer to the question that yes serious seekers and in fact all gursikhs should simply avoid television for their best interests. television is like maya, even though we might view the "clean" stuff for a little while, it will eventually get addicting jeeo.

Why dont we spend that little extra time doing some naam abhyaass, we will attain fruits for that after we pass on from this world jeeo. Time is very very very crucial jeeo. We have been seperated from akaaal purakh due to bad karmaa ? should we be sitting around watching TV and enjoying for a few minutes jeeo. manmukhs like me might do that, sure. Tusee siaanee ho jee, would u do that ?

lets make full use of this time as a human being.
we just might get saved from the birth death cycle

my dear veer who said TV is TB, i second that.

GURR BARR AKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLL

daas diaan bhulaa chukaa muaaf karo jee

even i started off with a 10-15 minute TV session on CP24 (toronto news channel)
i fell very deep....
guroo sahib ne kirpaa keetee aa

daas
tanvir singh
March 06, 2010 03:06PM

Very informative post by Veer Tanvir Singh Ji. I agree with Veer Ji. TV and film arts are considered as destructive arts in general. These are not constructive. They spend life. They do not  provide substance to life.

March 06, 2010 07:56PM

vaheguroo jee

the above information was taught to us by our teacher. She ought to be complimented. Not me.

Singhbj veer, i ought not to say this, but please think carefully before you post anything.

You have posted some nasty stuff on other threads, and now you might have influenced many youngters and youth who visit this forum and convinced them into watching television indirectly.

Someone of pyare Bhai Kulbir Singh jee & Bhai Harpreet Singh Jee's AGE*** might be able to watch TV and stay focused on gurmat simultaneously.

My dear veer, as an 18 year old youth, I will tell you, folks my age can slip very very easily. Daas speaks on this behalf considering TV has affected me in a negative manner in the past.

Young adults and kids can be easily distracted by constant peer pressure (bad sangat), media and as such sources.

Best to stay away, won't u agree veer ?

chardee kala jee

bhul chuk muaaf

god bless all heartsmiley

March 07, 2010 05:41AM

Waheguru ji ka khalsa

Waheguru ji ki fateh

Tanvir Singh ji,

First of all whether it's T.V or Internet, minors MUST only be given access UNDER SUPERVISION.

Both T.V and Internet are just means, the choice to see good or bad content is entirely upto individuals.

In comparison Internet can be more harmful as compared to Tele. 

Regarding minors checking out  bad stuff, parents are to blame not others !

As for adults, let them decide what's right or wrong.

In reality nobody is ENTIRELY free of Maya and in Gurbani it is mentioned (manoranjan ki maya) i.e maya is for entertainment.

Sex too comes under entertainment.

The point regarding birth control and just lust without producing offspring is something that all Adults know and practice.

It is something very personal, if it wasn't being practiced then even your beloved Singhs would be managing 10-12 kids rather than writing articles or doing keertan.

Check the facts don't just rely on what is being taught !

Waheguru ji ka khalsa

Waheguru ji ki fateh

March 07, 2010 01:37PM

i not surprised at another immature post from singhBJ

singh bj wrote:

The point regarding birth control and just lust without producing offspring is something that all Adults know and practice.

It is something very personal, if it wasn't being practiced then even your beloved Singhs would be managing 10-12 kids rather than writing articles or doing keertan.

Check the facts don't just rely on what is being taught !

you seem to think that our veers and singhs practise birth control methods ?

and if they didn't they would have 10-12 kids right now ?

and u call this a fact ?

how do you know this ?

u said it's "very personal"

do you ask and talk to singhs about this and talk to them about this ? since you are calling it a fact ?

wow, simply wow. I am amazed and amused!!!!!!!!!!!!

you seem to be a very pro-TV activist, why don't you go watch TV, and get off gurmat bibek.

and quit posting nonsense on here. SERIOUSLY

that way people won't have to sign petitions to ban you, you'd do them all a favor.

I was actually against that petition of kicking u off this site, i supported 1KAUR penjee.

Now, i would like you gone from here as well.

Bhul Chuk Muaaf

Sorry for any harshness sangat jeeo, but read what singhBJ writes, and then decide for yourselves.

i won't be replying to any of your posts anymore singhBJ

I am sure the veers and bhens can read my posts and the gurmukh pyaare's posts and then look at your posts

and decide for themselves what is right or wrong. I am sure they have that capability and previlage.

I don't want to argue with you as your posts encourage me to not come back on gurmat bibek again.

Im sure other people feel the same way I do. That inludes not feeling comfortable on this anymore.

Vaheguroojeekaakhalsaa vaheguroojeekeefatheh

March 07, 2010 05:07PM

Vista Ji - thanks sharing  the Story above. There is no doubt that most of the virsuses we today see in the world are spread by TV. 

March 07, 2010 05:48PM

i think it would be better for everyone if we stick on the topic of TV and leave the personal lives of gursikhs out of it.

March 07, 2010 07:34PM

Sadhsangat jee, we again request that we all maintain the spiritual atmosphere of this messageboard.

Enough has  been said on this topic for the time being. Sister 1Kaur has rightfully said that the personal lives of Gursikhs not  be discussed.

Topic is locked please. We apologise if this topic has affected the spirituality of anyone adversely.

Admin.

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.