ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

ardaas for a specific person

Posted by 1kaur 
ardaas for a specific person
February 24, 2010 10:45PM
is there a maryada for doing ardaas in sangat for a specific person? i've heard of this being done for gursikhs, but haven't seen it done in American samagams.

is this acceptable? is it better to go before panj piyaras and ask them to do ardaas for that person? or should it be done in front of the entire sangat (at a samagam)?

thoughts?
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: ardaas for a specific person
February 25, 2010 05:42AM
Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh

In reality, Maryada followed at each Gurudwara is different.

It is not practical as well as appropriate to say prayers and names of specific people in Diwaan.

Normally the person or family who undertakes Seva (like Langar) for Saadh Sangat at that particular Diwaan gets this special privilege.

Don't think that Punj Singhs doing seva of Punj Piyaras do this kind of Ardas. Moreso Ardas is done by a single person which ideally should be Granthi ji (technically qualified as Nanak Das).

For general information

Smagam = sma + gam

Sma = Time

Gam = Sad

Therefore Smagam is technically a program organised to mark a Sad Time.

Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh
Normally local sangat has the authority to do ardaas for a Gursikh who pleads before Sangat for it. Congretations of Panthik level e.g. Siri Darbar Sahib, Siri Akal Takhat Sahib etc., rarely perform an Ardaas for an individual.

If a person wants, Punj Pyare to do an Ardaas, one can go and plead in their Darbar. No harm in requesting for it and then it is up to them to do the Ardaar or not.

Kulbir Singh
February 25, 2010 11:46AM
Singhbj - Guru Roop Panj Piare hold a special status when it comes to ardaas. They have been performing such ardas's for cases that are bought to amrit sinchars. There are also countless stories where Guru Sahib ji did ardasa for sikhs of their times. I hope this thread expands with such examples.

There is also no better place to do ardas for a gursikh ineed than a smagam. This is a tradition that still continues where the end of smagams include ardas for such gursikhs that require kirpa.

H.S
February 26, 2010 05:52AM
Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh

Hari Singh ji,

Lets be reasonable, all present in Saadh Sangat have equal status irrespective !

Now everyone wants something or other from Satguru.

So is it right, appropriate and practical to say prayers in Ardas at Diwaan for each and every individual ?

I believe in teachings of Gurbani i.e Secularism and don't promote partiality, " what is right for one, must be right for all ! "

Kulbir Singh ji wrote

"If a person wants, Punj Pyare to do an Ardaas, one can go and plead in THEIR DARBAAR."

Darbar sirf Guru Sahib jeeo da hunda heh !

"Guru bina nahi darbar"

Nobody (one Singh or five) can Act or Operate in the absence of Satguru.

Whenever or wherever there is Sri Guru Granth Sahib jeeo's prakash, services of Granthi ji are inevitable and of paramount importance.

A Diwaan cannot be held without Granthi ji's services and day to day do you see Punj Singhs performing the Seva of Punj Piyaras ?

Answer is No.

In present day and age Sri Guru Granth Sahib jeeo are the SUPREME AUTHORITY.

ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਪੀਆ ਸਤਿਗੁਰਿ ਦੀਆ ॥
I drink in the Ambrosial Nectar, given by the True Guru.

ਅਵਰੁ ਨ ਜਾਣਾ ਦੂਆ ਤੀਆ ॥
I do not know any other second or third.

ਏਕੋ ਏਕੁ ਸੁ ਅਪਰ ਪਰੰਪਰੁ ਪਰਖਿ ਖਜਾਨੈ ਪਾਇਦਾ ॥੧੨॥
He is the One, Unique, Infinite and Endless Lord; He evaluates all beings and places some in His treasury. ||12||

Source: [www.srigranth.org]

Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh
SinghBj jeeo,

Kulbir Singh ji wrote

"If a person wants, Punj Pyare to do an Ardaas, one can go and plead in THEIR DARBAAR."

Darbar sirf Guru Sahib jeeo da hunda heh !

"Guru bina nahi darbar"

Nobody (one Singh or five) can Act or Operate in the absence of Satguru.

Punj Pyare, in the hazoori of Siri Guru Granth Sahib jee, during Amrit Sinchaar, are Guru-Roop. Sikhs believe that Guru Sahib through the Punj Pyare, himself does all the work during Amrit Sinchaar. Guru Granth and Guru Panth at that time act as one entity.

Only Guru Sahib has the right to give Naam and we clearly see that Siri Guru Dasmesh jee gave this right to Punj Pyare (Punj Pyare are not just any 5 Gursikhs). The Punj Pyare at the time of Amrit Sinchaar act on Guru Sahib's behalf. Therefore, they are Guru-Roop.

Regarding Ardaas for an individual in Sangat, you yourself mentioned that Ardaas can be performed for the family or individual who undertakes Seva. This proves that Ardaas for an individual can be done in Sangat. If Ardaas can be performed for a family that has undertaken certain Seva, then Ardaas can also be performed for an individual who makes a special request to the Sangat for the same.

I do agree that Ardaas for trivial things should be avoided. Sometimes, the Ardaasiya Sevadaar reads out a long list of individuals who donated some Maya. This does not seem appropriate. Such show of Charity should be avoided.

Kulbir Singh
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login