ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Test for sarbloh?

Posted by Uttam Singh 
Test for sarbloh?
June 23, 2011 04:05PM
Is there a sure fire way to test if a kirpan is sarbloh or not?
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Test for sarbloh?
June 23, 2011 06:14PM
Dip in water, and leave it there. If it rusts, then it is a 100% guarantee that it is Sarbloh.
June 23, 2011 07:56PM
You could also try sticking a magnet to the kirpan itself. If the magnet sticks, you know the kirpan is sarbloh.
June 24, 2011 07:10AM
Sticking magnet is just one of the test but this test alone does not tell us whether the metal is acceptable Sarbloh for Gursikhs, especially when it comes to Sarblohi utensils. Now a days, in India, they have developed a new form of Loha that attracts a magnet but does not rust. Such Sarbloh is not acceptable for utensils because if it does not rust, that means that the Tatt or essence of Sarbloh does not get mixed with the food that is cooked in it.

The Sarbloh that attracts magnet and also rusts is the correct Sarbloh for utensils.

Kulbir Singh
June 25, 2011 08:34AM
thank you!
June 25, 2011 10:00AM
I was wondering the same for a long time, as I have a Sri Sahib from the local Gurdwara Sahib and always wondered if is Sarbloh or not. It has really small and negligible patches of rust on it, which make me think it is Sarbloh, but it also shines lol, so I start thinking maybe it is steel. In either case, it is of Taksali type design so I don't think it would be steel.

But thanks Sangat jeeo smiling smiley
July 27, 2011 03:59PM
does that mean the product on this SITE is not to be consumed in?

daas was thinking of ordering a fair few for our local Gurdwara - please let me know asap so can buy the right type

Wahegurrooo
July 27, 2011 04:41PM
Bhai Manmander Singh jee

Im sure the bata on that site are fine, I have a bata like that and I'm sure its sarabloh,

Aslong as the bata has not got a sacrificial layer of chrome then its fine smiling smiley

Rest, Maharaj knows
July 27, 2011 05:17PM
Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Vaheguru Ji Ki Fateh,

In order for Iron to be rust-proof, it must be coated with another metal such as zinc etc or silica which prevents rusting. Therefore the Rust-Free item on this website it is not 100% Sarbloh due to such coatings.

Thus the minerals etc from the iron will not transfer to the food made within the item.For example imagine placing a piece of foil over a wound and then applying antiseptic, the treatment wound not be effective due to the layer formed by the foil, similarly with the rust-free coating the minerals of the Sarbloh will not mix with the food.

Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Vaheguru Ji Ki Fateh.
July 27, 2011 06:18PM
Having a rust proof bata defeats the purpose of a bata!
July 27, 2011 11:10PM
Wahegurrooo

Thank you Khalsa raaj and Gurman Singh jeeo.
Shall get the "legit" sarbloh smiling smiley
July 29, 2011 11:49AM
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ke Fateh

Kulbir Singh jeeo you meniton "Tatt or essence of Sarbloh does not get mixed with the food that is cooked in it."

where in SGGS does it mention that is essence you talk about is of extreme importance??
July 29, 2011 05:47PM

Kulbir Singh jeeo you meniton "Tatt or essence of Sarbloh does not get mixed with the food that is cooked in it."

where in SGGS does it mention that is essence you talk about is of extreme importance??

In respone to your question, I ask you the question - where in Siri Guru Granth Sahib jee, it mentions that we should wear 5 Kakaars, abstain from 4 Bajjar Kurehits, give Daswandh etc. ?

Many of the outer Rehit of Khalsa is not mentioned in Siri Guru Granth Sahib jee, but this does not mean that this Rehit is not mandatory for Khalsa.

Dear Veer, It seems like you don't have Shardha in Sarbloh Bibek Rehit. That's fine, as far as we are concerned. Please don't work against this Rehit and don't try to discourage Gursikhs who want to keep this Rehit. There is nothing, you will gain, by doing so.

Kulbir Singh
August 01, 2011 06:17PM

Dear Kulbir Singh Jee- Many thanks for your response. It's not my intenetion to discourage anyone, however the oppostie to encourage myself and others if possible.At the moment ask yourself if the way you responded to my question is that encouraging anyone -? I asked a simple question - you've thrown accusations of having no sharda in sarbloh bibek rehit - so how am i supposed to build that sharda veer jeeo?
August 01, 2011 08:44PM
NS jeeo, the reason I felt this way is that, as far as I know, you are not new to Sikhi or this forum and ought to know that the outer Rehit of Khalsa including Kakaars, Sarbloh, are not mentioned in Siri Guru Granth Sahib jee.

Sorry for any misunderstanding.

Kulbir Singh
August 01, 2011 09:54PM

veer Kulbir Singh Jeeo , no need to apologize - however let's not get side tracked here the outer rehits exist as we know it and cannot aruge with that at all veer jeeo and I would be a greater fool to do so too.

Issue is of when u mention - "tatt or essence of sarboh taste being in food " - why is this tatt important? rehits or SGG. don't mention the importance of ensuring of this tatt or essence being present in food as far as i know.

Of course there is no arugemnt as far as keeping sarbloh bibek -- of course keep it if possible, please expand further veer jeeo if possible.
August 02, 2011 05:18AM
The issue on hand was if such loha that does not rust, then can be used for making Sarbloh utensils. I wrote that if a utensil that is made of Sarbloh but does not rust, then it means that while cooking the taste of Sarbloh will not be transferred into food; therefore, such utensil is not suitable for Sarblohi Bibekis.

There is an incident from Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee's time. The stainless steel utensils had gotten introduced recently. Some Singhs excitingly told Bhai Sahib that a new kind of Sarbloh (stainsless steel) has come to market and that the utensils made of this Sarbloh are very easy to wash since they don't rust. Bhai Sahib kept quiet and Singhs cooked langar in these utensils and served Bhai Sahib too. Bhai Sahib tasted this food but immediately rejected it saying that the food cooked in stainless steel did not contain the Tatt of Sarbloh.

My comment of "tatt of Sarbloh" was based on Bhai Sahib's comment in the aforementioned Saakhi. I don't know much else. Just know that food should be cooked in Sarbloh. There should be no deviation from this.

Kulbir Singh
August 02, 2011 08:02AM
Singho that loha they developed is not worthy enough to be eaten in. Gursikhs should stop the people that are making it. The reason why it doesnt rust is because they add zinc to it. Yes, zinc is toxic. And being smart with Guru Sahib always brings bad results.
August 02, 2011 08:26AM
This is simple chemistry if Sarbloh is not pure and has any kind of coating on it then iron would not dissolve into food or liquid. If iron does not dissolve in food then what's the point of eating in Sarbloh. Rust proof coating is a chemical coating who knows if this chemical is not health hazardous! Better to stay away from such inventions as they have more side effects than any good effect. This new rust proof Batay also convinced to a Jatha Singh back home and Singh jee asked this Daas to help (financially) buy these batay (Rs. 130 per baata) from Sri Anandpur Sahib but when I explained that their is no such a metal called Sarbloh yet rust proof and It is the property of iron that more pure it is more rust it gets even from the moisture in the air until unless you coat temporary with ghee. I think this Singh Jee got upset with me thinking that Daas do not want to help him to buy these batay but how can daas explain that these batay are not Sarbloh Batay any more if has rust proof coating.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login