ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Canucks...

Posted by bhai 
Canucks...
June 15, 2011 01:29PM
Today my mom told me something that she heard on the punjabi radio..something that is really disappointing to hear...

Today on the radio people within the punjabi/sikh community were saying that if the canucks win they will hold akhand paats at local gurdwara sahibs for letting the canucks win. But if they lose they will go to the gurdwara sahiib and put $1.25 in the golak.

To me this seems the biggest disrespect that someone can do to Guru Sahib. Why? just making the statement that if the canucks will lose they will go and put $1.25 in the golak is disrespect why would guru sahib need their money? he's the one who gave them the money in the first place.

And Secondly, holding an akhand paat for the chardikala of the canucks is one of the most stupidest things i have ever heard! Especially becuase no one is ever going to sit down and listen to the akhand paat for more the 10 min.

Basically, the above statement just shows how much respect people have towards Sri Guru Granth Sahib Jee in this present day in kaljug, they are willing to hold a akhaand if the canuckhs win but if they lose then they are going to give guru sahib $1.25..why would someone give $1.25 to guru sahib if they lose is that supposed to represent their disbelief in Guru Sahib that they didnt fulfill thier ardaas fot he canucks to win the stanely cup?

Even though i watch the canucks games, im not a diehard fan.

Just hearing this statement that my mom told me about just really annoyed me...

i wont be surpised that if the canucks lose the finals today.....
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Canucks...
June 15, 2011 02:03PM
Thank you, may luck be with Boston!!!! grinning smiley tongue sticking out smiley
Go Bruins!!
(by the way, I found out only yesterday that they play ice hockey smiling bouncing smiley )
June 15, 2011 02:20PM
The Canucks are a religion in Vancouver. Obviously most Punjabis don't know much about Sikhi and so their behavior can't be surprising but the way even Amrit Dhari youth in BC act with regards to the Canucks is really shameful and undignified.

Doing paath for their victory, ardaases commonly being done throughout Gurdwarai and now Akhand paaths...

The 1984 rally last week had less than half the attendance of the previous year because of a Canucks game at the same time.

Let's go Bruins - only to teach the Sikh fans of the Canucks a lesson about disrespecting Gurbani and lowering the pride of Sikhs by stooping to such low and undignified levels in their cultish devotion for random gora millionaires.
June 15, 2011 03:10PM
Hmmmm, ok jokes apart, but thats just sad.
June 15, 2011 03:13PM
Well, in a way its kind of too low ask from Guru Sahib who is capable of making the man win his GAME OF JANAMs and MARANs (Birth and rebirths) but from an other side for the person who hasnt yet thought of this (Mukti) due to his Karams and is well indulged in worldly affairs (like these games etc) it seems to be a good sign of him replying on GURU Sahib for the success. For sure it shows that he thinks that Guru Sahib is Capable of handling his request. Maybe when his this requests gets fulfilled he goes in for next one and so on. There is quite a bit of chance that while doing so he gets such strong BHAROSA on guru Sahib and he becomes to the Sharan of the Vaheguru. After all the entire story revolves around the Bharosa and Samarpan which unfortunately to us fools doesnt come without incidents.
June 15, 2011 03:34PM
its ok to watch the game and stuff if you enjoy playing the sport as a recreational activity or you just enjoy watching it, but becoming totally indulged in it and doing x number of certian gurbani paats is a bit to overboard...
June 15, 2011 10:50PM
...and BOSTON WON!!!

there goes all their "Akand Paaths" and "ardaas" for Canucks to win.

Vaaheguru Jee Kaa Khalsaa Vaaheguru Jee Kee Fatehh!
June 16, 2011 12:40AM
i feel so embarrresed even i was apart of it. very shameful
June 16, 2011 05:15AM
Although I am not into this game, a big YAYYYY for Boston!!!! grinning smiley grinning smiley
June 16, 2011 07:51AM
[thestar.blogs.com]
[www.thestar.com]

A Terrible Night after A Terrible Hockey Defeat

VANCOUVER--All that was gained, lost.

What sport did for Vancouver last year, it did to Vancouver last night. And if this gorgeous, wealthy city was more than happy to benefit from the goodwill, joy and prosperity delivered by the Olympics last year, it has to now accept that the rioting and widespread lawlessness that struck the city core in the wake of the Canucks' Game 7 loss to Boston cannot be completely disassociated from sport, either.

VIEW PHOTOS
WATCH VIDEO

The temptation will be to say this was a small group of people causing trouble, and that it had nothing to do with hockey.

Well, yes and no.

First, it wasn't a small group. We're talking hundreds, probably thousands, of citizens involved in the ugliness that erupted even as Gary Bettman was handing the Stanley Cup to Bruins captain Zdeno Chara. Having been around other sport "riots," I can tell you this was a whole other level.

Vancouver was an ugly, dangerous city last night, and people got hurt. Frightening. Not just police cars on fire. Not just looting and tear gas. Stabbings. Vicious, fights. Wanton violence accompanied by the joyful whoops and hollering of young people who apparently believed they were part of something exciting and were having a great time.

The game ended at about 7:45 local time, and by midnight weary riot police were still trying to disperse crowds. As I watched from my hotel balcony on Burrard St., a line of riot cops walked up the street, police dogs barking, police sirens wailing, a police helicopter overhead shining a light down on the street.

When Montreal "fans" went wild two years ago after a first round playoff victory over Boston, it was contained to a small area of the downtown. Passersby watched it almost as a surreal sport unfolding, but unless you were in the middle of it, there seemed to be nothing to fear. It was over quickly.

Not this last night in Vancouver. It went on for hours. At one point, there were four separate areas where police were trying to stop violence and looting. People were left lying on the street covering in blood. Crazed young men smashed windows of stores and business, ignoring police commands to disperse, seemingly uncaring that they were being videotaped and photographed, as if they believed they were untouchable.

It was like the city had lost its mind. Over a bloody hockey game.

It was anarchy, and somehow, it was not just about Vancouver, a place where fans are encouraged by local media to believe there is a conspiracy to deny them ultimate success, but also about the Canucks. Everywhere you looked those who were committing crimes did so while wearing Canucks jerseys with Kesler, Sedin and even Bure across the back of the shoulders. Cop cars on fire with goons wearing Canuck sweaters dancing nearby. Just as Oakland Raider garb was once the choice clothing for California gangstas, now Canucks jerseys will be associated with this terrible night, a night which locals insist was much worse than what occurred 17 years earlier after Game 6 of the Stanley Cup final against the New York Rangers.

Last year after the Olympics, many of us felt the peaceful, joyful crowds that assembled every night in the downtown streets were the real story of the Games. I'll always remember the long yet happy lines outside The Bay, people waiting for hours just to get a chance to buy a piece of Olympic memorabilia. Last night, that same store was under siege, left with smashed windows, as if it had become a target rather than a peaceful gathering place.

There will be many questions to be answered about the police presence and how this was handled, or mishandled. It will be the big story, bigger than the shocking collapse of the Canucks, a team that sat atop the NHL all year and then was flattened in the Cup final by a determined Boston team. City officials promised they were ready and in control, but reports suggested the police presence was too light, and that police were simply overwhelmed by fast-moving mobs as they started fires and looted Sears, Chapters and London Drugs stores. How could they have been caught by surprise - again?

But more important will be what this, the riots and the ugliness, says not just about Vancouver, but about the Canucks' place in it. You can hardly blame the hockey team for what happened, yet at the same time its the Canucks who seem to be the match that lights the civic lawlessness in this city.

There's a strange mentality here that the NHL is out to get the Canucks, to deny them their rightful victories, and it's propagated by some very prominent media voices. There's always booing when Bettman tries to present the Cup, but it was deafening at Rogers Arena last night, an apparent expression of a belief that the NHL screwed the Canucks, that suspending defenceman Aaron Rome, for example, was unfair and unjust and part of some grand conspiracy.

People really believe this stuff. Even after the game, Canucks coach Alain Vigneault bitterly talked about a Boston "plan" to defeat the Canucks that was based on illegal hits after the whistle, implying the league had done nothing to keep the games fair.

It goes back to the hysterical reaction to the Steve Moore hit on Markus Naslund that precipitated the Todd Bertuzzi attack on Moore, one of the ugliest pieces of violence in NHL history. There's this suspicion that everything isn't above board, that Canuck players are treated more harshly. Even last night, there were wild rumours that Boston's Nathan Horton, injured by Rome's headshot earlier in the series, was going to play in the game, thus proving that his injury had simply been a pretence to deprive Vancouver of its chance to win the Cup.

There are many here who also fervently believe Toronto, and the rest of Canada, hates Vancouver and wants the Canucks to lose, which again fuels this bizarre sense of paranoia that permeates the hockey atmosphere in this town.

Did that paranoia create last night's riots? No. But its part of the story here, part of the anger and bitterness here, part of why a local reporter, angered that they were still blaring the music inside the arena last night long after the teams had left the ice, remarked, "Bloody Bettman" when he was told the music had to continue under orders from arena management.

Idiots and criminals created last night's ugliness. But hockey and this town's hockey atmosphere were part of it as well. You cannot pretend otherwise.
June 16, 2011 07:52AM
I hope there were not any Akhand-Paath-Ardaas-doing-Gursikhs involved in the riots above.

Kulbir Singh
June 16, 2011 09:49AM
I had a feeling this topic would come up here. What is the need to say so and so amritdari is shameful and undignified because there support for the local sports team might seem overboard.

Let them be. And if it bothers you that much say it to them in person.
June 16, 2011 01:40PM
Sher Jee

Inaa Vee Naa Gajo

It's a simple discussion jee, Holding akhand paths and deciding the amount of money to give to guroo sahib based on the outcome of a hockey match is undignified and shameful.

If you have better words, please feel free to share them gurmukhon.

Udaaa guroo noo yaad nee keetaaa
hockey match vele guroo guroo keetaaa

Logan raam khilona janaa
June 16, 2011 01:44PM
Upkaar Singh jeeo, kindly expand on the poem.

Kulbir Singh
June 16, 2011 04:03PM
Satbachan Bhai Kulbir Singh Jee hot smiley

Aap ke khatir, hamne koshish kee hai
Zara Nazar Daalo, yay seekha apsay hee hai

Sher Jee, tusee vee 4th paragraph, thora dhiaan naal pareyo pyareo.

Hockey vekhan de shaukeen mere mitraaa
Kar ardaas, hovaigee canucks dee fauj pavitraa
Vekho hockey da match, lavo jee mazzaaa
Jitan gey jaa haaran gey, sabh sache patshaah dee razaa

Hockey de beshak bano tusee fan
Guroo sahib ne hockey vekhna thore naa keetaa ban?
Hockey vekho and khedo, karo shareer noo fit
Moviaan vekhan ton changaa hee haigaa, sports are a better hit.

Rab daa kade shukar guzaar nahee keeta
Duniya ton muktee daa uddam nahee keeta
Akhand paathaan dee mauj, ardaas layee kharee hoyee fauj
Vekh meeta, match vele aundaa lokaan noo rab cheeta

Canucks ne taa poore zor naal khedeya see
Rab ne vee apnaa asheervaad bhejeyaa see
Par jadon rab daa mazaak lokaan ne banaya
Fer hor kee kahiye sher jee, aa taa hoyee maya

Devanhaar Daataar nu paisay den dee hoyee gal
Jeraa Duniya nu rotee dendaa, unoo tusee aa dena see fal?
Chaunda ta main vee es team dee fateh see, par aa tamasha nahee hoyaa hal
Bhaleyo loko, hor karo uprale, bhul jao apna aun vala kal

Jadon Keeta Mann, Guroo nu dhiaaunaa
Udaa raho mast, final match vich khanda kharkaunaa
Lagay raho mastaneyo, paiseyiaan naal apney guroo noo dhamkaunaa
Shaahbaash aa tuhaanoo, tuhada chetee janam safala ho jaunaa

Udaa Guroo Nu Kanth Nahee Keetaa
Match vele apna guroo aayaa cheetaa.
Guroo Kaa Deeya Updesh Nahee Maana
Logan Raam Khilona Jaana
June 16, 2011 04:44PM
I think India should put them on their black list. You don't want these kind going to India.
June 16, 2011 05:43PM
parr poem Singh Upkaar di, swaad lenda reha Mehtab
kee kehne tuhaddi poem de, zabardast la'jawaab
chaar panktiyaan hee likhunga, tuhaddi poem de thallay
Canucks nu ki kahaan, apne Boston di ballay ballay tongue sticking out smiley
June 16, 2011 07:24PM
Mehtab Singh, mere mittar pyariaa
Shukar Karo Tuhada Boston Nahee Hariaa
Likhnee pehnee see poem tuhade layee
Ballay Ballay karnaa tusee band kar dena see bayee

Upkaar Singh nu kadniaa see gaallaaan
Je Milgeyaa, te kutnaa see vaang kharkaalaaan
Hun taa wait karnaa penaa, anand kaaraj de card daa
Fer ik qalam fer likhange, for our Mehtaab veer laadlaa

Nice poem mehtaab singh jeee

if ur going to reply, reply in a qalam
June 16, 2011 08:38PM
The true game that we all play and which is much more challenging than ice hockey, is the game of Maya and Love. Winning over Maya by shooting scores of Naam into the net of Mind, carries you across this ocean. Canucks stand no chance to this game! hot smiley

What victory can Sikhs seriously get if Canucks or Bruins win a game? What concern of happiness is it of Sikhs in any way? Are we getting Khalistan if they win? Is the Panth going to end up in serious debt if they lose? Daso bhalaa, asin ki laina? Manmukhan di jit ton Sikhan ney ki laina jaan khattnaa? Why are we so excited over a game played by manmukhs, who smoke, drink, cut their hair, commit adultery and have no connection with Sikhi what so ever? The Panth is not going to drown if they lose, nor are we gaining anything.
June 16, 2011 09:36PM
chaar panktiyaan vich eh piyaar vaala gaphaa
bhullda nai sannu tuhadda Naam bhareya japhaa
viah di umeedaan rakh bajurg hogi haddiyaan
mai te bhull vi giya, tu kyo ni shaddiyaan?

sanu ice hockey baahla lagda time pass
haaran vaaleya di hundi na poori aas
ohna de mooh te ta tamacha lagda
shadd mai kehda Bruins da chacha lagda
June 16, 2011 10:05PM
Haar Hovai, Jeet Hovai Singhaa Dee Har Mehdaan Fateh
Sanu Keraa Prem Aunda, Babeyo, tusee ditay see pyaar de gaffe
Boston Jiteh, Jaan Vancouver, apaan kee lenaa aa
Man, Tan, Dhan, sabh cut ke, guroo kee hazooree vich dena aaa

Anand Kaaraj Vee Ho Ju Gaaa, cookiaan vaalee bhenjee aun ge
Khushiaan daa mausam aau gaa, tuhade ghar chaar chand lag jaun gey
fikar na karo, kalay dare vale babeyo, jawanee taa hale charee aa
Kere budape dee gal kartee, tuhadee chetee aun vaalee oh khaas gharee aa

GURRRRRRRROOOOOOO smiling bouncing smiley
June 17, 2011 05:22AM
LOL! bas karo maalko, aha topic Canucks da aa, tusi ki vicholeya vang aithe vi salesmanship shuru karti...ehmi Canucks fans aukhe hoge te Vancouver jana aukha hoju
June 17, 2011 09:36AM
hahahaha

vaheguroo
sat bachan jee =)
June 23, 2011 12:36AM
This is very late, however, I remember i was having dinner at a gursikhs house who is highly regarded by all accross all jatha lines. He was explaining to me how he had survived a recent car crash where his vehicle was totally destroyed but by gurusahibs kirpa he came out without a scratch. Anyways he carried on that now he has to buy a new car and he mentioned that he did ardas to gurusahib for a new car.

at this point i was baffled. I was perplexed that such a mahaan gursikh would bother doing ardas for something materialitic as a car something that has nothing to do with the panth,sikhi,his jeevan. i asked as much and his reply was on point. he asked if my parents had ever bought me anything beyond neccessaity. i said yes. he asked if i had ever felt shame asking my father or mother for money. again i said yes. He said if you can ask your worldy father to provide for you, or ask for his permission for any step you take in life why is it wrong to ask your guru and supreme father for as much. It is guru sahib not your father granting you such things anways. of course you should always ask for naam and help for reading shud bani but it is ok to ask for other things too.

although i believe the vancouver sangat went a bit out of line. asking for the nucks to win (even though i hate the nucks) isnt such a evil thing. had they won the sangat would rejoice in guru sahibs benevolence, there would be a renewed sense of commodore. singhs always used to hold akhand paat sahib to get rain for their crops, its not that much of a stretch to ask for the nucks to win.

regardless we all know guru sahib supports the maple leafs and when the time is right we shall be victorious
June 23, 2011 09:02AM
I feel the issue is more speaking badly of other gursikhs. I know of many big sports fans who play or watch at night and then complete their amritvela the next day as usual. Regardless of if they do or not, we have enough divisions as it is, do we really need to bad mouth anyone. They are not comitting a kurehit or hurting anyone with their actions.
Although I still do feel when it gets to the point of asking Guru Sahib for something so trivial this should not be promoted.

On another note, I have always found it amazing how sports in general brings people of all faiths, backgrounds together.
June 23, 2011 09:40AM

regardless we all know guru sahib supports the maple leafs and when the time is right we shall be victorious

Maple Leafs will first have to get pesh at Samagam; only then they will get full support of Guru Sahib and win. smiling smiley

If sports can bring some harmony within different people, then let's all agree with Sher Bhaaji.

Kulbir Singh
June 23, 2011 09:45AM
sports and harmony? what non sense.

the kind of harmony sports bring was seen in vancouver last week or can by seen after football matches in europe, when hooligans take over.

have you ever heard of riots after rainsubaee keertan?
June 23, 2011 10:11AM
Riots after rehansbai keertan haven’t happened from what i have seen, it’s more of a stampede following certain kirtanees after they do keertan seva, lol. Haven’t we all read about the times when kirtanees used to sit for more than a few hours and sing until their voice went coarse?

Anyway... I totally agree with Sher ji, that as someone who plays sports, being competitive and supporting a side to do well is fine, but going to the extent where you are doing ardas so the team you are supporting wins is just ludicrous. We have enough attachments as it is, who wants the headache of being attached to a certain football team or in this case ice hockey teams?

I'm amazed when Singhs come out with all the info at rehansbai keertans on who was transferred from one team to the other and the amount it cost...etc and then they say they struggle remembering Jap Jee Sahib.
June 23, 2011 10:27AM
Shaheed
although i believe the vancouver sangat went a bit out of line. asking for the nucks to win (even though i hate the nucks) isnt such a evil thing. had they won the sangat would rejoice in guru sahibs benevolence, there would be a renewed sense of commodore. singhs always used to hold akhand paat sahib to get rain for their crops, its not that much of a stretch to ask for the nucks to win.

ਜ਼ਰੂਰਤਾ ਤੇ ਮਨ ਦੀਆ ਫਜ਼ੂਲ ਖ਼ੁਆਇਸ਼ਾ ਵਿਚ ਬੋਹੁਤ ਫ਼ਰਕ ਹੋਂਦਾ ਹੈ .

Chota veer
June 23, 2011 06:08PM
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ke Fateh

I thought we ask for the BEST for everyone in ardaass for everyday anyway when we mention " Tere bhaee sarbat daa bhalla" !!!! surprising how long this debate has gone when important debates get shutdown the minute they get interesting.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login