ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Electronic Gurbani

Posted by Gurdas Singh 
Electronic Gurbani
February 18, 2010 04:00PM
Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Vaheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

I would like to seek some guidance on what the proper protocols are with respect to electronic/digital Gurbani.

For example, many people do certain paath from their computer (if they are reading from a Sukhmani Sahib pdf for example).

Another increasingly common example is people who do certain paath from their smartphones.

I know some people who regularly do paath from their phones and their phones are essentially an electronic gutka but, predictably (and perhaps justifiably) they don't give the same respect to their phone as they would to a gutka. Should they not do paath from their phone? (If the answer is that they shouldn't... then those people will quite possibly miss out on doing certain paaths altogether). Or should they just make sure that their phone is clean when they're using it for the purpose of reading paath? Should it always be clean then? Maintaining constant suchum/cleanliness with regards to the phone is not especially practical though.

Basically... it would be ideal to simply have the Bani memorized or failing that, to use a "real" gutka but sometimes both of those situations don't exist.

Another thought is that one time I encountered pdf files of the entire Sri Guru Granth Sahib Jee (both in Lareedaar and also in Padh Chedh). Both files were one continuous file. Essentially, an electronic version of Guru Sahib was on a hard drive. What, if any, implications does this cause?

Thank you.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Electronic Gurbani
February 18, 2010 04:24PM
i've spent a lot of time thinking about this. i've tried to find a rational and practical compromise with regards to gurbani on electronic media.

first, what is gurbani? gurbani is the written or spoken word of guru sahib. when gurbani is open on your computer for you to read, or when it is playing as a recording, we should give proper respect (clean hands, covered head, off the floor, etc). but when the gurbani file is closed, for practical purposes it does not exist as gurbani. it becomes raw data, a series of 1's and 0's, that only the computer can understand. at this point i think it's ok to use the computer normally. gurbani must be written in gurmukhi, exactly as it was spoken by guru sahib. anything else is not gurbani.

just my simple opinion on a complex matter. smiling smiley
February 19, 2010 03:31AM
Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh

I will encourage Sikhs to use computer & internet due to comparitive advantages.

It is easy to search as well as read Gurbani and different versions of viakhia online.

One can listen to Paath, Keertan, Katha anytime 24/7.

Personally, i don't store any files on P.C or Laptop just have bookmarks.

In regards to hand held devices, presentlly i have Nitnem and some Shabads in audio format.

A sevak uploaded Sri Guru Granth Sahib jeeo as well Sri Dasam Granth in reading format on my mobile.

Initially i found it very convenient, the program had various quick search options.

Couple of days went by and i started to experience pain in my body without any reason.

Then by Satguru's grace i realised it is Be-adbi and immediately removed the files.

Therefore will not recommend the use of hand held devices for reading Gurbani, one can never be too careful !

Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh
February 19, 2010 07:42AM
This is a tough one. I think, Panth should seek direction from Siri Akal Takhat Sahib. Before the advent of computers, Gurbani, for hundreds of years, was written on paper with ink and there were rules and protocol on respect of Gurbani. Now with the advent of computers and not to mention the Internet, use of Gurbani and Satkaar of Gurbani on computer or Internet, needs to be determined and ascertained. It is not a job of one person or group to do so. Panth should collectively get direction on this from Siri Akal Takhat Sahib.

I personally, seldom do paath from hand held devices and prefer doing paath from Kanth (memory). But we all make use of Gurbani resources available on the Internet and our own desktops and to do so seems fine to me. Rest Guru Sahib knows.

Kulbir Singh
February 20, 2010 10:42PM
This issue and the issue of taking a "virtual hukam" has come up before too. In my meager understanding I would agree with 1kaur but as far as taking a virutal hukam is concerned I see Gurgaddi as only given to Guru Granth Sahib Ji in Granth Saroop. Just like we can't take a hukam from individuals who have all of Guru Granth Sahib Ji memorized as being equivalent to an actual hukamnama from Guru Granth Sahib Ji, I see a virtual hukam as being incomplete and not from the Guru's Saroop. Perhaps I'm wrong and others can post their views
April 09, 2012 02:41AM
one more point is needed to be discussed here. a bit different to the topic.
about the gurbani shabats present in graduation courses of university. is it fair to allow a proffessor to read gurbani even when he knows nothing about respect, and even we are not sure what product he uses.
April 11, 2012 06:58PM
An important topic -- very important been discussed a thousand times - but the essentially we have to look at the facts:

1. Electronic devices such as smartphones-ipads etc. are and represent everything virtual I.E your text message, picutre or Gurbani.

what is virtual or Virtual reality ? computer-simulated environments that can simulate physical presence in reality .
Virtuality, the quality of having the attributes of something without sharing its (real or imagined) physical form .

Therefore you want reality without any illusion - you want Guru Sahib as it really is whether for nitnem or Gurbani pothian for keeertan.

Now the controvesy arrises for learning and further enlightenment : due it being on your iphone/ipad- you are more likely to do more paath, more abhyiaas of Gurbani when you have a moment free. I Doubt very much if Guru Sahiban would be against this - as we are to do as much as we can. I can do Sukhmani while driving due to the iphone or whether i'm at a hotel where i don't want to be carrying a gutka - but there has to be higher Goal as Kulbir Singh jee has said we need bani to be KHANTH. If the iphone/ipad is allowing you to do it more for your own misson of a higher goal in life for it to be KHANTH - than it's cool. If you'er doing it just becasue of ease of access than I see as a negative.

Finally Guru Sahibs were known to keep Gutka in their kamar kassa. So what's the issue with Gurbani on the iphone -- i'd say nothing as it only extends learning. We have to see it from the chardee kala positive aspect NOT negative as mostly this is the case.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login