ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Dietary Bibek - are these items safe to cook with??

Posted by ak514 
Vaaheguroo Jee Kaa Khalsa
Vaaheguroo Jee Kee Fateh

Daas just adopted dietary bibek and I am unsure if these items are okay to cook with.

Hing
Baking Soda
Baking Powder
Vinegar
Red Pepper flakes

These powders i'm not sure about the manufacturing process, would it be best to make this from scratch?
Dhaniya powder - the one you buy at the desi store
Adrak powder - desi store one

white sugar
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Is heavy cream okay as well?

Vaaheguroo Jee Kaa Khalsa
Vaaheguroo Jee Kee Fateh

Daas just adopted dietary bibek and I am unsure if these items are okay to cook with.

Hing
Baking Soda
Baking Powder
Vinegar
Red Pepper flakes

These powders i'm not sure about the manufacturing process, would it be best to make this from scratch?
Dhaniya powder - the one you buy at the desi store
Adrak powder - desi store one

white sugar

Hanjee all of these things are fine to use.

For heavy cream you should boil it before use. If you can get milk from a farm and use the cream off of that it is best but if that is not possible in your area then using heavy cream from the store is fine as long as you boil it in Sarbloh first.

Preetam Singh
For the Chemistry puritans amongst you , it may be worth googling 'does vinegar contain 'alcohol'.
Technically the fermentation process used does result in an alcohol as such.. in minute amounts.

..But not the alcohol our shrabi friend in the pind would want a glassi of. smiling smiley

Should you wish to play super safe... lemons are a good substitute..
Either way, whatever you cook... just add a teaspoon of humility and from the sounds of it . you will be fine.
I think practices/standards vary depending on ones locality. In the Western countries there is a more liberal approach to certain foods . Where as in India were Singhs have been practicing bibek for a couple of generations there is a more traditional approach. For example, in India simple raw processed foods such as salt, sugar, pepper, tumeric are acceptable but certain liquid foods such as vinegar are not easily approved.

In the West we have adopted a modern Western diet and bibek has been very complicated. I recently read a book by a journalist name Michael Pollan. He's done extensive research on the processing industry. In his book he mentions how food companies engineer food so their food doesn't perish, but in order to extend the food of life you have to remove the nutrients. I think such food can be detrimental to both the body and spirit.

Living in the West its hard to live up to the standards of Punjab, but i think foods like vinegar are really not a necessity. If you really like it then you can make your own by fermenting sweet apples. Like all vinegar products alcohol is involved in this process and for this reason it is generally avoided by those keeping bibek. If you are looking for a seasoning for your French fries then you can use lemon as js veer Ji suggested or you can use garlic. Both taste good and they are more healthier then vinegar.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login