ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Gurbani veechar

Posted by psingh87 
Gurbani veechar
December 15, 2014 07:53AM
Waheguroo Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguroo Ji Ki Fateh.

If this has already been discussed please direct me to the thread.

In Gurbani we have some Akhar which we pronounce differently to what actually is written, for example instead of Sabad it is read Shabad another example is rajai but read as razai and so on. I know Taksal read it as it is written and mainly Jatha read it with adding saseh per bindi etc. Can I ask in Guru Shaibs times was this read the way it is written or add in the bindia etc. What do we have to back that up.

Second question is how do we know what is right and wrong for example pasoo (cow/bafflow) can also be read pashoo but both are said in India depending where you come from. So what is right and what is wrong and how do you make that decision with other examples?

Lastly, Gurmukh Lipi was created by the Gurus and it was later on where we added in the saseh per bindi line at the end, which is taught in punjabi schools these days. So does that mean we have now changed the pronunciation because our boli has changed?

Is there a document I can get, which explains where it is appropriate to read the saseh per bindi etc. I know Bhai Kulbir Singh has done great seva of explaining pronunciations in nitnem but can we get it in one document for all of the Gurbani in Guru Granth Shaib ji.

I hope im making sense as it’s really hard to type/explain what I’m trying to ask.

Waheguroo Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguroo Ji Ki Fateh
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Gurbani veechar
December 16, 2014 09:51AM
It will be really helpful, if someone can help...
December 22, 2014 10:23AM
Waheguroo
December 22, 2014 02:23PM
Vaheguroo Ji Ka Khalsa Vaheguroo Ji Ki Fateh

These links should be helpful Veerji

[gurbaniviakran.blogspot.co.uk]

[akjfaq.com]

smiling smiley

Harpreet Singh
December 22, 2014 04:53PM
In Gurbani we have some Akhar which we pronounce differently to what actually is written, for example instead of Sabad it is read Shabad another example is rajai but read as razai and so on. I know Taksal read it as it is written and mainly Jatha read it with adding saseh per bindi etc. Can I ask in Guru Shaibs times was this read the way it is written or add in the bindia etc. What do we have to back that up.

'Sabad' is pronounced as Shabad because this the root pronunciation of this word. Similarly for other pronunciations comes in Gurbani. Words of different languages that comes in Gurbaani has root pronunciations. One has to learn the pronunciation from learned GurSikhs, if no literature is available.

Take an example from a different language and script such as English and Roman in which word 'Sugar' can not be pronounced as it is written, it's correct pronunciation is Shugar. If such a simple word needs learning to read then what to talk about Dhur Ki Baani which uses various dialects and languages.

Second question is how do we know what is right and wrong for example pasoo (cow/bafflow) can also be read pashoo but both are said in India depending where you come from. So what is right and what is wrong and how do you make that decision with other examples?

We should make an effort to take Santhiya from learned Gursikhs who are well versed in Gurbani Viakaran and Shudh Ucharan. There are numerous books available today, just a small effort could lead to right direction. Nitnem Santhyia is a good start.

Lastly, Gurmukh Lipi was created by the Gurus and it was later on where we added in the saseh per bindi line at the end, which is taught in punjabi schools these days. So does that mean we have now changed the pronunciation because our boli has changed?

Shudh Gurbaani pronounciation we hear today is closer to Gurbaani pronunciation of Guru Sahib's human form period. Yes, in Punjabi there are additional 5 letters to denote various language pronunciations.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login