ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Our Steps Backward

Posted by No-Bodh 
Our Steps Backward
April 25, 2011 03:16PM
Our Steps Backward

Below are points all Amrit Parchaar Jathas should take note of and follow at all costs. There is weakness creeping in, we should stand strong and not let our beloved Amrit Sanchaar get easy and turn into quantity program.

New – All Abhalakees now walk in at once, without any firm questioning of why they have come, goals, purpose etc. Amrit is being given out cheap to anyone. It is all too easy to just have ishnaan, wear kakkars and just take Amrit. Many don’t know about the Marag (path) in which to they are about to follow and unfortunately end doing Manmati activities afterwards.

Old – Abhalakees where questioned one by one, very firmly. They had to show there worth to receive the ultimate gift of Amrit. This Gurvaak is inline with this thought

ਵਿਣੁ ਗਾਹਕ ਗੁਣੁ ਵੇਚੀਐ ਤਉ ਗੁਣੁ ਸਹਘੋ ਜਾਇ ॥
ਗੁਣ ਕਾ ਗਾਹਕੁ ਜੇ ਮਿਲੈ ਤਉ ਗੁਣੁ ਲਾਖ ਵਿਕਾਇ ॥

(If a Gurmat virtue is sold to a non-candidate, then it gets sold cheap but if it is given to a Gurmat candidate, then such virtue fetches Lakhs.)

There is an English saying: Cast not pearls before swine.

To show there commitment and pyaas for Amrit, one would have to Sit through a Sri Akhand Paath Sahib. In some cases Puratan Gursikhs would still reject those that have sat through a Akhand Paath which is evident from the short sakhi from Bhai Randhir Singh jees from Jot Vigaas

“In 1913, two teenagers Bhai Harbhajan Singh and Bhai Dalip Singh got qualified to receive amrit from Punj Pyaray. Gurmukhs doing sewa in Punj Pyaray were Singhs like Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee. In those days, seekers of amrit were required to listen to whole of Siri Akhand Paath Sahib. Out of about 150 seekers of amrit, only two fortunate ones – Giani Dalip Singh Phulawal and Giani Harbhajan Singh Chawinda were chosen. As soon as they drank amrit, great kirpa of Guru Sahib was bestowed on them. They reached high levels of Gurmat spiritual states. Their Dasam Duaars were opened and they had Darshan of Vaheguru, there and then”

This Khel (Game) of Gursikhee is about Love. Where we give all to the service of Satguru Jee. Gurvaak:

ਜਉ ਤਉ ਪ੍ਰੇਮ ਖੇਲਣ ਕਾ ਚਾਉ ॥

If you desire to play this game of love with Me,

ਸਿਰੁ ਧਰਿ ਤਲੀ ਗਲੀ ਮੇਰੀ ਆਉ ॥

then step onto My Path with your head in hand.

ਇਤੁ ਮਾਰਗਿ ਪੈਰੁ ਧਰੀਜੈ ॥

When you place your feet on this Path,

ਸਿਰੁ ਦੀਜੈ ਕਾਣਿ ਨ ਕੀਜੈ ॥੨੦॥

give Me your head, and do not pay any attention to public opinion.

New – Ignoring Rehats which might seem “difficult” for people to follow are not given, such as BaNaa, Sarbloh, Dastar etc. Since the time of Satguru Nanak Dev Sahib jee Sikhee has always being a Rastaa for the ones that fully submit to Gur Hukams. These Gurvaaks like many others proves that

ਤਨੁ ਮਨੁ ਧਨੁ ਸਭੁ ਸਉਪਿ ਗੁਰ ਕਉ ਹੁਕਮਿ ਮੰਨਿਐ ਪਾਈਐ ॥

Surrender body, mind, wealth, and everything to the Guru; obey the Order of His Will, and you will find Him

&

ਭਗਤਾ ਕੀ ਚਾਲ ਨਿਰਾਲੀ ॥

The lifestyle of the devotees is unique and distinct.

ਚਾਲਾ ਨਿਰਾਲੀ ਭਗਤਾਹ ਕੇਰੀ ਬਿਖਮ ਮਾਰਗਿ ਚਲਣਾ ॥

The devotees' lifestyle is unique and distinct; they follow the most difficult path.

ਲਬੁ ਲੋਭੁ ਅਹੰਕਾਰੁ ਤਜਿ ਤ੍ਰਿਸਨਾ ਬਹੁਤੁ ਨਾਹੀ ਬੋਲਣਾ ॥

They renounce greed, avarice, egotism and desire; they do not talk too much.

ਖੰਨਿਅਹੁ ਤਿਖੀ ਵਾਲਹੁ ਨਿਕੀ ਏਤੁ ਮਾਰਗਿ ਜਾਣਾ ॥

The path they take is sharper than a two-edged sword, and finer than a hair.

ਗੁਰ ਪਰਸਾਦੀ ਜਿਨੀ ਆਪੁ ਤਜਿਆ ਹਰਿ ਵਾਸਨਾ ਸਮਾਣੀ ॥

By Guru's Grace, they shed their selfishness and conceit; their hopes are merged in the Lord.

ਕਹੈ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਚਾਲ ਭਗਤਾ ਜੁਗਹੁ ਜੁਗੁ ਨਿਰਾਲੀ ॥14॥

Says Nanak, the lifestyle of the devotees, in each and every age, is unique and distinct. ||14||

If we feel these Rehats are hard then look at the Story of Bhai Manjh jee and how difficult of a test Guru Sahib gave to him: [panthic.org]

Bhai Randheer Singh jee spents 40 days and maybe more without food to protest in to letting the Jailers let him keep Sarbloh Bibek and making his own Prashada. We all now have, nice cars, houses, jobs but still are not keeping all rehats in our easy lifes. When will this backward effect be reversed?

Below is a extract of Dr Preetam Singh “Anjaan” thoughts of this topic.

“Dr. Sahib would read Bhai Sahib Bhai Randheer Singh jee's books with great interest and seeing the example of a great Sikh in these books would try to bring his example into his own life and encourage others to do the same. Being influenced by these books, Dr. Sahib warned about the weakness coming into the practice of Tat Gurmat: "Today, we need a Tat Khalsa which Guru Gobind Singh prepared by giving amrit. We shouldn't try to just administer amrit and increase the number of amritdhaarees, but today we need religious and Naamee Singhs who live practical Gursikhi Jeevans. Bhai Sahib Bhai Randheer Singh jee writes in Ranglay Sajjan about amrit sinchaars in those times. What kind of Punj pyaaray and what kind of abhilakhees there were and what kind of lifestyle they should have. Only those Punj Pyaaray who are coloured in GurbaaNee in mind and body can choose worthy candidates who know the value of Amrit. But today in the Sikh Panth and our Akhand Keertanee Jatha, there are changes being made according to individual mindsets, which are bringing a downfall in the Khalsa Panth.”

In this way Dr. Sahib always desired the chardee kalaa of the Khalsa Panth and attempted to guard the Tat-Gurmat lifestyle

This is all that comes to mind at the moment, I have more things to write, but will leave the rest for the Users to discuss.

Bhul Chuk Dee Maafi. May we become Mighty Naam Abhyassis. Guru Sahib Kirpa Karan

Khalsa Panth Khethi Meree
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Our Steps Backward
April 25, 2011 04:28PM
Nice thoughts what it boils down to is the following question. Is Sikhi a
culture or is Sikhi a spiritual path . If we say its a culture then we will raise
our children and expect them to take Amrit even if it means they wont
follow the religion fully. If we consider it a spiritual path for serious
seekers then Amrit will be limited to a few.

For example, if we see Sikhi
is a spiritual path then children would not
be given Amrit as they would be to young to fully
understand the commitments of Rehat ( way of life)
But if we see Sikhi is a culture, children will be taught to Love
God at a young age. Personally I believe Sikhi is a culture
and spiritual path; thus we cannot hold same standards
for every Abhilakhee. Its Panj Pyaareys ( Guru Sahibs)
right to determine who can have AMrit or not depending
on their background and situation.
April 25, 2011 05:07PM
Very good post
April 26, 2011 08:21AM
Dr. Preetam Singh Jee 'Anjaan' has written 2 pamphlets or tracts.

The first published in 1997 is called 'Band Karo Amrit Parchar, Band Karo Amrit Sanchar'
And the second one published in 1999 called 'Di Suno Pukar'

These small books were not received well by many people and in fact distribution was stopped soon afterwards as they were thought to be too extreme by many Sikhs. They are very difficult to get hold of today.

Dr Jee also started their own sub-Jatha called SPAAKJ (Svai Padhchol Akhand Keertani Jatha) to try and follow these strict asools as much as they could in the Jalandhar area.

One can download and listen to some recordings of Dr. Jee at these links:

[keertan.gurmatchanan.com]
[keertan.net]
[media.dharam.waheguroo.com]

Regarding the post, I am not against the principles themselves, but I think these days, if someone was refused Amrit many people would then just go and take Amrit elsewhere. You could say that is their loss, but how people can say they would be able to follow all in the above post right from the time they took Amrit? Not many I think, but rather many people do so afterwards.

I agree that number of Sikhs has never been an issue, Khalsa has always been few in number. Quality is better than quantity. I think a more thorough interview of the Abhilakees is a good idea, and also we can try and do parchaar on the importance of preparation for taking Amrit in the way of keeping rehat, doing Nitnem, seva, for many months (even years) before hand which allows one to appreciate the gift more and also one will get more kalaa at the time of Amrit Chakk. Bhai Rama Singh Jee has talked about this in their autobiography. They described those who do not get prakash of jot at the time of Amrit Sanchaar as having very filthy minds "maleen". That puts vast majority of us in that category.

Someone once asked Baba Attar Singh Jee Mastuanvale as to why they are so relaxed in giving Amrit to almost anyone who turns up, they replied we are sowing seeds. Rest is up to the individuals.

Challo jee, I am not any wise or rehat keeping person. Just my lowly thoughts on this.
April 26, 2011 09:28AM
Very Interesting this is first I've heard of Dr Jee writing two pamphlets.
Please could somebody upload them or try to get hold of a copy, so it maybe be posted here.

Bh Kulbir Singh & Bh Jasjit Singh your thoughts would be great....

Note - In my first post extracts where taken from translations from Kulbir Singhs older posts.
April 26, 2011 10:32AM
I agree with the thoughts expressed in this post.

What we need to do is the right thing according to Gurmat Maryada. We are not worldly merchants who should think of Nafa-Nuksaan (profit or loss) when following Gurmat. Gurmat Maryada should be followed diligently and as for the results of following Gurmat Maryada, that's not our department of worry. All worries belong to Vaheguru (Sarb Chint tudh paase).

Punj Pyare are no-doubt form of Guru Sahib but they don't have the right to change or alter Rehit. They are obligated to give full Rehit to the Abhilaakhis and not hide or not disclose difficult Rehits like Sarbloh Bibek, Baana, Amritvela etc. They are obligated to give out Gurmat Rehit to the new Amritdharis and then it is up to the individuals whether they follow the Rehit or not.

The Gurmukhs who do Sewa in Punj but hide Guru Sahib's Rehit from Abhilaakhis are taking immense burden on their shoulders by doing so. The Rehit should be pronounced as is, without adding or subtracting anything. A care should be taken that just as hiding a Rehit is wrong, same way, creating a new Rehit or innovating a Rehit is also wrong.

Guru Sahib knows better.

Kulbir Singh
April 26, 2011 06:40PM
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ke Fateh

Sikhi is a way of life, without a doubt , and I feel sikhi is not just Sikh culture or spirtiual - - it's so vast nothing like it in the world - then it has to be EVERYTHING - complete.

The biggest problem we have is preparation -- like the english saying - " FAIL TO PREPARE - THEN BE PREPARED TO FAIL" -- in tune with people who are ill prepared for amrit.

Now helping someone prepare as mentioned above post starter - needs immense Eduation and Parchar...all out in the open so one can take steps every other year till all goals are met.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login