ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Gurmakh and his Progress Measurements

Posted by BalrajSingh 
I often feel that Gurmakh will/shall ultimately look like as described in the MOOL MANTRA. AND we all know the way to get near to that is through the PATH described by Guru Sahibs

-- Amrit
-- Rehat
-- Naam
-- Bani
-- and other Gurmakhi requirements

Now the questioni have is whats the scale of measurement of one's progress in his goals to reach Waheguru ??? We know we have certain amount of time/limited no of Swaas in which the destiny needs to be reached , just like a student has 1 year to pass his class. If the student fails in his final exams - he fails and it doesnt matter what his performance has been throughout the year/his attendance/behaviour etc -- although there is certain no of min requirements to sit in the exams---- so how abt the SIKH ???

If a Gursikh is following the Gurmakh rehats/Naam/Bani etc but we dont see him changing over the years , what do we say ??? just for an example if a Gursikh had a bitter feeling for someone and he continues to have t he same after several years even with all possible GURMAKHI Karams -- whats the result ??

I am sure its difficult for anyone of us to answer before reaching a stage - but i think it needs to be discussed to keep us cautioned to be on track for what we ultimately seek from this JEEVAN
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Beautiful thoughts!

Indeed, we must monitor our spiritual progress after becoming Amritdhari. If after living years as an Amritdhari person, we don't see some progress in ourselves, then we must re-evaluate our life. The pressure of 5 evil forces Kaam, Krodh, Lobh, Moh and Ahankaar must be less but if we see no loosening of pressure, then we must do self-evaluation to determine if we are following Gurmat as prescribed by Guru Sahib.

One thing is for sure. The problem always lies in us and never in Guru Sahib. If an electrician who is working to light a bulb in a room, does not get success in doing so, he does not question the efficacy of electricity. He does not start wondering if electricity has changed its nature and has stopped lighting the bulbs. He always looks to see if all the wiring is okay and the bulb itself is not damaged. Same way, if we fail to derive the desired results after following Gurmat, we should not question Gurmat. The fault does not lie in Gurmat but lies within us or the way we are doing things.

If a person gets sick and takes prescribes drugs (medicine) from doctor and still does not get better, then most of the times doctors change the medicine or question the patient to see if he is doing anything wrong e.g. eating wrong foods or not taking the medicine the way it was prescribed. Same way, if we don't take the medicine of Naam and Gurbani as prescribed by Guru Sahib and don't forgo forbidden actions, the medicine of Naam cannot have the required effect.

If a Gursikh is following the Gurmakh rehats/Naam/Bani etc but we dont see him changing over the years , what do we say ??? just for an example if a Gursikh had a bitter feeling for someone and he continues to have t he same after several years even with all possible GURMAKHI Karams -- whats the result ??

Once a Gursikh who was close to Sant Ishar Singh Rarewale, asked him about another very known Sant. At first Sant Rarewale kept quiet but when the Gursikh persisted, he remarked that it is true that this known Sant has a lot of kamaaee but it has not brought about the required affect. An unsavoury incident occurred 30 years ago but he is still harbouring the affect of it. Later on Sant Rarewale remarked that a serious seeker of Vaheguru should not let even a life-changing event to cast affect for more than half an hour. Within half an hour the Gurmukh must reconcile with the tragedy and come back to the normal state of Anand and Vismaad.

Today the problem is that even Gursikhs don't give forgive and forget. If they don't forgive and forget, how will they seek forgiveness from Vaheguru. How would Vaheguru forgive us for our sins if we don't forgive those who have sinned against us? Our father Vaheguru is Nirvair meaning he has no enmity with anyone and harbours no ill-feeling for anyone. We must become like Vaheguru (i.e. adopt his qualities) whom we worship and whose Naam we recite.

Kulbir Singh
Perfect !! I think thats the cause of issues in the PANTH too. One never tries to re-unite in the modern world. Once the split happens it happens for ever. We see one Gurudwara Sahibs splitting to 2 and then 4 and then 8 , but we rarely seen 2 Gurdwaras getting together for one. I think GURMUKH shouldnt have this attitude for the good of themselves/for the good of PANTH.

I know this is just one of the problems - there are many more (various of 5 enemies described in Gurbani) that keeps the human gripped in them.

It may be difficult to get Guru Sahib's Kirpa straight away to have control over these as Bhai Randhir Singh and other Gursikhs showed,but for a STARTER i think one should even try to do MANNNN HUTTHH to make sure that he doesnt let these forces over-run him.

for example,

A Gurmukh wearing BANNAA doesnt look nice to be EATING CHOLLLE-CHAAT on RERI

A GURMUKH with 4 hrs of NAAM ABHIYAAS doesnt look nice to have BAD/BITTER feelings for someone/anyone

A GURMUKH with Guru Sahib's Rehats/Naam/BANI doesnt show good to be avoiding other GURSIKHS for his personal reasons

==> there are many more such VIVHAAAARs gursikhs should avoid (earlier with MAAAAN HUTTH and offcourse later with GURU SAHIB's Kirpa) to keep the spirit of Sikhi in the others/starters -- which i know also benefits themselves and ultimately chardi kala of PANTH TOOO.

Well Said - if we dont FORGIVE , we cant look for SYMPATHY from Guru Sahib(which i am sure we will need).
In a book, Amrit Ki Hai (what is the meaning of Amrit?); the author quotes an incident with Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh Ji. Bhai Sahib on one instance had remarked to him; when he was reading Gurbani in the prison with Bhai Sahib; " Alas, Bairag is there but Nam Rass is not there."---------------The author gets grieved by these remarks of Bhai Sahib.-----------Ultimately the author talks about spiritual progress of a Gursikh after Amrit.-------May be Bhai Kulbir Singh Ji help to address this topic based on the information of that book.------------It seems the question is very important but still unanswered.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login