ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sewa

Posted by guptsingh123 
Sewa
April 17, 2011 08:00AM
waheguru ki ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh
i have questions to gursikhs out there that at my local gurdwara me and few other singhs arrive at gurdwara early morning on weekends to do sewa and get things ready for evening darbar but during the day we have times when we have little laugh and spend time discussing things on gurmat and sometimes time is just wasted on things which are not important but few others gursikhs of our town choose to stay at home and only arrive at perfect time for darbar and and then after darbar and langar they disappear but you will never see them doing sewa i am not saying this with haume that we do sewa and they don't but thing is that i think that they do this to protect their avastha as their avastha will be ruined if they do sewa which will obviously end them up going home and getting late and then they won't be able to get up for amritvela, i want to ask is it actualy right to be rather gupt and not do sewa and saying leave sewa someone else will do it we will just sit and listen to path and sit in darbar?

my second question is no related to previous question that what to do if you are sat listening to akhand path and its time to do your nitnem, are you suppose to just stay and listen to path as that is baani as well or walk out and do your nitnem?

waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Sewa
April 17, 2011 11:48AM
Gupt Ji, I feel, everybody is born with or trained for different likings. One should do what he or she likes most. Sewa and Simran should go hand in hand.
April 17, 2011 07:20PM
Many people I know, when they sit down to listen to an Akand Paath, and they decide to listen to the entire Paath, they don't do there Nitnem. After the Bhogh, they do Nitnem twice; one for that morning, and one that they missed.

I'm not sure whether this is according to Gurmat, and whether this should be done. This is just from people I know who've done this in the past.

Vaaheguru Jee Kaa Khalsaa Vaaheguru Jee Kee Fatehh!
April 18, 2011 11:57AM
WJKK WJKF

It's clear dasvandh of 10% is in the three forms:

1. mental -- -Naam simran- Gurbani - nitnem etc.
2. Physical -- i.e sewa - with the physical - body-in the Gurdwara or otherwise but has to be physical;
3.Earnings- 10%of ones earning.

all three are paramount -if one without the other doubt if jeevan will be in balance-- further views welcome
April 19, 2011 09:31AM
Sewa keeps us attached to others, while Simran reacts on our individuality. I may be wrong.
April 20, 2011 01:14AM
Waheguru ji Ka Khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh.

Its a very long topic of discussion but seva is of two types:
Nirgun di seva
Sargun di seva

Nirgun di seva is by naam dhiana. And sargun guru di sewa is bani veechar. Then there are other types of sevas as well which are the parts of "tre gun" - like sato gun seva, rajo gun seva. sato guni seva is alot better and necessary but not usefull if you dont do nirgun di seva.
Tre gun seva, even sato gun seva can produce hankar if we havent done guru di seva through bani veechar. And summary of all is NAM Dhiana
April 20, 2011 07:39AM
Excellent thoughts Veer Tejkawal jeeo. Indeed, Guru's sewa is doing Bhagti.

my second question is no related to previous question that what to do if you are sat listening to akhand path and its time to do your nitnem, are you suppose to just stay and listen to path as that is baani as well or walk out and do your nitnem?

Singhs during Bhai Sahib jee's times often used to sit through Siri Akhand Paath Sahib, without getting up or eating anything (except Degh during start, Madh and Samaptee). Their surthee used to stay in high spiritual realms. Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee listened to many Siri Akhand Paath Sahibs during his lifetime, without sleeping, or even changing the sitting posture. After the completion of Siri Akhand Paath Sahib, there used to be Siri Asa kee Vaar Kirtan. After conclusion of Samagam, Bhai Sahib used to first do Gurmat Ishnaan and then do all his due Nitnems. He even used to listen/do missed Siri Sukhmani Sahibs and only then he would eat anything or rest.

Taking cue from Bhai Sahib, if one sits through whole of Siri Akhand Paath Sahib, it is fine to catch up with Nitnem Paaths and Gurmat Ishnaan after the conclusion of the Samagam.

Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee has written in Jail Chithiaan that when he listened to first entire Siri Akhand Paath Sahib in one sitting, he wished for Darshan of Siri Guru Gobind Singh jee and that's what he got. So great is the reward of listening to Siri Akhand Paath Sahib. But listening to full Paath does not mean just sitting there. Bhai Sahib writes that by the Kirpa of Guru Sahib, he listened to every word, every Pankiti for 2 days, with full concentration. That's why he got Darshan of Siri Guru Gobind Singh jee.

Bhai Sahib has written that in olden days prior to taking Amrit, Abhilaakhis were asked to try to listen to whole of Siri Akhand Paath Sahib. Fortunate ones who used to obey this Hukam used to get blessed with many spiritual experiences at the time of Amrit Sinchaar.

Having said that, it is not possible to sit through Siri Akhand Paath Sahib with will-power but it is pure Kirpa that enable one to listen to whole Paath. One should beg for mercy and Kirpa from Vaheguru. Then alone one can do such Sewa.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login