ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

People mentioned Sri GuruBani ji

Posted by piyasi chatrik 
ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜਿਕਾਖਾਲਸਾਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੁਜਿਕਿਫਤੇਹ !

This has been hovering in Chatrik's mind for a very long time, hope the Bhai Kulbir Singh and the admin team will accept this request/proposal & seva.

When reading Sri Guru Bani ji, there are many people mentioned. Some names( & their stories) are familiar such as Dhroo,Prehlad, Ganika & Ajamal. But there are many many more names of which are just unheard and unknown to Chatrik & am very sure to others also.

Here are some examples:

SriGuruGranthSahibJi
ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਪ੍ਰਹਿਲਾਦਿ ਜਪਿ ਹਰਿ ਗਤਿ ਪਾਈ ॥
As Gurmukh, Prahlaad meditated on the Lord, and was saved.

ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਜਨਕਿ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮਿ ਲਿਵ ਲਾਈ ॥
As Gurmukh, Janak lovingly centered his consciousness on the Lord's Name.

ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਬਸਿਸਟਿ ਹਰਿ ਉਪਦੇਸੁ ਸੁਣਾਈ ॥
As Gurmukh, Vashisht taught the Teachings of the Lord.
Who is Vashisht ?
How did Janak started to do BHagti?

Here is another shabad were story of devotees of Vahiguroo have been mentioned:
SriGuruGranthSahibJi

ਬਸੰਤੁ ਮਹਲਾ ੫ ਘਰੁ ੧ ਦੁਤੁਕੀਆ
Basant, Fifth Mehl, First House, Du-Tukee:

ੴ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ॥
One Universal Creator God. By The Grace Of The True Guru:

ਸੁਣਿ ਸਾਖੀ ਮਨ ਜਪਿ ਪਿਆਰ ॥
Listen to the stories of the devotees, O my mind, and meditate with love.

ਅਜਾਮਲੁ ਉਧਰਿਆ ਕਹਿ ਏਕ ਬਾਰ ॥
Ajaamal uttered the Lord's Name once, and was saved.

ਬਾਲਮੀਕੈ ਹੋਆ ਸਾਧਸੰਗੁ ॥
Baalmeek found the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy.

ਧ੍ਰੂ ਕਉ ਮਿਲਿਆ ਹਰਿ ਨਿਸੰਗ ॥੧॥
The Lord definitely met Dhroo. ||1||

ਤੇਰਿਆ ਸੰਤਾ ਜਾਚਉ ਚਰਨ ਰੇਨ ॥
I beg for the dust of the feet of Your Saints.

ਲੇ ਮਸਤਕਿ ਲਾਵਉ ਕਰਿ ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾ ਦੇਨ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
Please bless me with Your Mercy, Lord, that I may apply it to my forehead. ||1||Pause||

ਗਨਿਕਾ ਉਧਰੀ ਹਰਿ ਕਹੈ ਤੋਤ ॥
Ganika the prostitute was saved, when her parrot uttered the Lord's Name.

ਗਜਇੰਦ੍ਰ ਧਿਆਇਓ ਹਰਿ ਕੀਓ ਮੋਖ ॥
The elephant meditated on the Lord, and was saved.

ਬਿਪ੍ਰ ਸੁਦਾਮੇ ਦਾਲਦੁ ਭੰਜ ॥
He delivered the poor Brahmin Sudama out of poverty.

ਰੇ ਮਨ ਤੂ ਭੀ ਭਜੁ ਗੋਬਿੰਦ ॥੨॥
O my mind, you too must meditate and vibrate on the Lord of the Universe. ||2||

ਬਧਿਕੁ ਉਧਾਰਿਓ ਖਮਿ ਪ੍ਰਹਾਰ ॥
Even the hunter who shot an arrow at Krishna was saved.

ਕੁਬਿਜਾ ਉਧਰੀ ਅੰਗੁਸਟ ਧਾਰ ॥
Kubija the hunchback was saved, when God placed His Feet on her thumb.

ਬਿਦਰੁ ਉਧਾਰਿਓ ਦਾਸਤ ਭਾਇ ॥
Bidar was saved by his attitude of humility.

ਰੇ ਮਨ ਤੂ ਭੀ ਹਰਿ ਧਿਆਇ ॥੩॥
O my mind, you too must meditate on the Lord. ||3||

ਪ੍ਰਹਲਾਦ ਰਖੀ ਹਰਿ ਪੈਜ ਆਪ ॥
The Lord Himself saved the honor of Prahlaad.

ਬਸਤ੍ਰ ਛੀਨਤ ਦ੍ਰੋਪਤੀ ਰਖੀ ਲਾਜ ॥
Even when she was being disrobed in court, Dropatee's honor was preserved.

ਜਿਨਿ ਜਿਨਿ ਸੇਵਿਆ ਅੰਤ ਬਾਰ ॥
Those who have served the Lord, even at the very last instant of their lives, are saved.

ਰੇ ਮਨ ਸੇਵਿ ਤੂ ਪਰਹਿ ਪਾਰ ॥੪॥
O my mind, serve Him, and you shall be carried across to the other side. ||4||

ਧੰਨੈ ਸੇਵਿਆ ਬਾਲ ਬੁਧਿ ॥
Dhanna served the Lord, with the innocence of a child.

ਤ੍ਰਿਲੋਚਨ ਗੁਰ ਮਿਲਿ ਭਈ ਸਿਧਿ ॥
Meeting with the Guru, Trilochan attained the perfection of the Siddhas.

ਬੇਣੀ ਕਉ ਗੁਰਿ ਕੀਓ ਪ੍ਰਗਾਸੁ ॥
The Guru blessed Baynee with His Divine Illumination.

ਰੇ ਮਨ ਤੂ ਭੀ ਹੋਹਿ ਦਾਸੁ ॥੫॥
O my mind, you too must be the Lord's slave. ||5||

ਜੈਦੇਵ ਤਿਆਗਿਓ ਅਹੰਮੇਵ ॥
Jai Dayv gave up his egotism.

ਨਾਈ ਉਧਰਿਓ ਸੈਨੁ ਸੇਵ ॥ ...........................
Sain the barber was saved through his selfless service. ...............
Who was Balmeek?
Who was the hunter who shot Krishan ? how was the hunter saved?
what is the story of Kubija the hunchback ?
Who was Bidar?
Who is Baynee?
how did Jai Dev gave up his ego and did Bhagti?

There are so many people mentioned in the shabad above alone? who were they ?

Here is another shabad :
SriGuruGranthSahibJi

ਰੇ ਚਿਤ ਚੇਤਿ ਚੇਤ ਅਚੇਤ ॥
Be conscious, be conscious, be conscious, O my unconscious mind.

ਕਾਹੇ ਨ ਬਾਲਮੀਕਹਿ ਦੇਖ ॥
Why do you not look at Baalmeek?

ਕਿਸੁ ਜਾਤਿ ਤੇ ਕਿਹ ਪਦਹਿ ਅਮਰਿਓ ਰਾਮ ਭਗਤਿ ਬਿਸੇਖ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
From such a low social status, what a high status he obtained! Devotional worship to the Lord is sublime! ||1||Pause||

ਸੁਆਨ ਸਤ੍ਰੁ ਅਜਾਤੁ ਸਭ ਤੇ ਕ੍ਰਿਸ੍ਨ ਲਾਵੈ ਹੇਤੁ ॥
The killer of dogs, the lowest of all, was lovingly embraced by Krishna.

ਲੋਗੁ ਬਪੁਰਾ ਕਿਆ ਸਰਾਹੈ ਤੀਨਿ ਲੋਕ ਪ੍ਰਵੇਸ ॥੨॥
See how the poor people praise him! His praise extends throughout the three worlds. ||2||

ਅਜਾਮਲੁ ਪਿੰਗੁਲਾ ਲੁਭਤੁ ਕੁੰਚਰੁ ਗਏ ਹਰਿ ਕੈ ਪਾਸਿ ॥
Ajaamal, Pingulaa, Lodhia and the elephant went to the Lord.

ਐਸੇ ਦੁਰਮਤਿ ਨਿਸਤਰੇ ਤੂ ਕਿਉ ਨ ਤਰਹਿ ਰਵਿਦਾਸ ॥੩॥੧॥
Even such evil-minded beings were emancipated. Why should you not also be saved, O Ravi Daas? ||3||1||
Again Baalmeek is mentioned.
who was the Killer of dogs?
Who was Lodhia ?
Pingula has been discussed here : Pingula

another line:
SriGuruGranthSahibJi Ang105:
ਅੰਬਰੀਕ ਕਉ ਦੀਓ ਅਭੈ ਪਦੁ ਰਾਜੁ ਭਭੀਖਨ ਅਧਿਕ ਕਰਿਓ ॥
The Lord blessed Ambreek with fearless dignity, and elevated Bhabhikhan to become king.
who was Bhabhikhan ? what is his story?
Ambreek is being discussed here:Ambreek

Who was Bidur? This whole shabad is about his devotion:
SriGuruGranthSahibJi Ang105:
ਰਾਜਨ ਕਉਨੁ ਤੁਮਾਰੈ ਆਵੈ ॥
O king, who will come to you?

ਐਸੋ ਭਾਉ ਬਿਦਰ ਕੋ ਦੇਖਿਓ ਓਹੁ ਗਰੀਬੁ ਮੋਹਿ ਭਾਵੈ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
I have seen such love from Bidur, that the poor man is pleasing to me. ||1||Pause||

ਹਸਤੀ ਦੇਖਿ ਭਰਮ ਤੇ ਭੂਲਾ ਸ੍ਰੀ ਭਗਵਾਨੁ ਨ ਜਾਨਿਆ ॥
Gazing upon your elephants, you have gone astray in doubt; you do not know the Great Lord God.

ਤੁਮਰੋ ਦੂਧੁ ਬਿਦਰ ਕੋ ਪਾਨ੍ਹ੍ਹੋ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਕਰਿ ਮੈ ਮਾਨਿਆ ॥੧॥
I judge Bidur's water to be like ambrosial nectar, in comparison with your milk. ||1||

ਖੀਰ ਸਮਾਨਿ ਸਾਗੁ ਮੈ ਪਾਇਆ ਗੁਨ ਗਾਵਤ ਰੈਨਿ ਬਿਹਾਨੀ ॥
I find his rough vegetables to be like rice pudding; the night of my life passes singing the Glorious Praises of the Lord.

ਕਬੀਰ ਕੋ ਠਾਕੁਰੁ ਅਨਦ ਬਿਨੋਦੀ ਜਾਤਿ ਨ ਕਾਹੂ ਕੀ ਮਾਨੀ ॥੨॥੯॥
Kabeer's Lord and Master is joyous and blissful; He does not care about anyone's social class. ||2||9||

**************************************************************************************
There are soooo manyy names have been highlighted above and Chatrik know nothing about some of them.

Chatrik is sure there are many more names of BHagat, Sinners who were saved and sinners like Duryodhan/Ravan who drowned in their HOUMEI, who are mentioned in the whole of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Maharaj

The sad part is when reading Sri Guru Bani ji, when dass comes across these unknown names. Dass is left wondering who was he/she?what is the story behind it? Without knowing the story, dass is unable to reflect/ponder to do veechar of the shabad fully. As it is unknown , how greatness of Vahiguroo manifested on these people.

So, dass is hoping a special section is created under Gurmat Bodh called "People mentioned in Gurbani". Where stories of these people can be compiled and added for all to read. Dass hopes BHai Kulbir Singh and any gursikh who can contribute take up this sewa! Dass suggest that this section is further divided into "Bhagats, Sinners who were Saved & Sinners who drowned". (as people like Raavan and Duryodhan too have been mentioned)
The stories told should also have references to lines in Gurbani where these people have been mentioned.

Why is it important?
1.If these people have been mentioned in Sri GuruBani ji & given as examples to explain . Then they and their stories must be worthy of knowing, as a lot of gyan must reside in these stories .
2.Am unaware of any book/website or sikh source that we can refer, to find out who these people were & their stories. If the idea is implemented it will be highly educational to attach readers to Gurbani and first of its kind.
3. Parchar of Gurmat Prema Bhagti can be done more easily, as people tend to like stories more. As stories help readers understand a scenario more better.

Chatrik is sure there are many more benefits to it.smiling smiley

Chota veer
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
interestingly, many of the questions you raise are answered in dasam granth sahib in chaubis avtar. leading me to believe that guru sahib compiled it for exactly this reason, to help us understand the history behind gurbani more fully (without going to pandits or hindu sources for our answers).

i think having an index of sorts is a wonderful idea. i look forward to reading the contributions of more learned sangat.

let me try one:

vashisht was a rishi who wrote rg veda. smiling smiley

bhai gurdaas jee tells of a balmeek who was a thug: [sikhitothemax.com]
ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ? sad smiley

Chota veer
Excellent idea Veer Chatrik jeeo. This is a big project but Daas will start working on this project soon and hopefully, we will have other users contributing as well. We all will learn a great deal from it.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh
sounds good!
a gurmukh pyara has done a great depthful viakia on that shabad in basant raag, daas will talk to him, and hoepfully can get him to give me the files

oddslot
ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ,
Dhanvaad ji, Chatrik is really looking forward to this new section! Starting should be no problem as now we already have 6 in hand. 3 of the stories are already under Gurmat Literature section.

Ganika
Ajaamal
Chandrahans and Dhrishtbudhi
(these can be moved there)

2 have been mentioned in my initial post. ( threads on Pingula & Ambreek)

1 on Balmeek has been explained by the link given by 1 kaur bhenji.

If the above stories can be edited by adding more gurbani line referring to them would be better.(in gurmukhi of course)
Also, using Sikhitothemax website is very useful.Chatrik searched for 'Ambreek' it showed that he has been mentioned 6 times & 'Ganika' 6 times also. Kubija is mentioned 2 times.

moorakhpan di khimma bakshni ji...

Chota veer

vashisht was a rishi who wrote rg veda

Though modern scholars attribute major portions of Vedas to Rishi Vashishtha, traditionally the belief is that Vedas were compiled by Brahma.

Vashishta was the guru of Siri Raam Chandra the king of Ayodya and husband of Sita jee. Vashishta was a great spiritual master of his time and a book that contains spiritual questions of Rama and answers by Vashishta survives to this day. This book is called Vashishta Yoga and it contains his spiritual discourses to Rama who was developing Bairaag for spiritual attainment.

Rishi Vashistha was one of the 7 greatest Rishis of India

Vedas, as traditionally were created by Brahma and some Hindus believe that Vedas are Anadi (without beginning). Rishi Beas (Vyaas) separated the Vedas into 4 parts for easy understanding. Gurbani also says that Rishi Beas compiled Vyakaran (grammar) of Vedas:

ਗੁਣ ਗਾਵੈ ਮੁਨਿ ਬ੍ਯ੍ਯਾਸੁ ਜਿਨਿ ਬੇਦ ਬ੍ਯ੍ਯਾਕਰਣ ਬੀਚਾਰਿਅ ॥ ਬ੍ਰਹਮਾ ਗੁਣ ਉਚਰੈ ਜਿਨਿ ਹੁਕਮਿ ਸਭ ਸ੍ਰਿਸਟਿ ਸਵਾਰੀਅ ॥
( Guru Nanak, Rishi Beas who did Vichaar of grammar of Vedas is singing your praises. Brahma who as per the Hukam, created the universe, is also uttering your Gunns (qualities).

Much of the Vedas are said to be lost.

Kulbir Singh
Re: People mentioned Sri GuruBani ji
November 30, 2012 08:20AM
Could somebody please share the story behind Bidur?
Or provide the link if it is already somewhere online?
Daas read a book in young age and can't remember the exact title but it was something like Bhagtaan Da Jeevan. This book was written in story telling style using gurbani parmaans and also included the references for each story to Varan Bhai Gurdas Ji. The book was such an interesting read, daas re-read it multiple times. Although not everything written in their conformed to the Gurmat but majority of it was good enough to help link the Gurbani furmaan to the actual story.

Daas will try to find the book and scan it. It may be available at some book store in India as well....
Bhai Kulbir Singh jeo you totally forgot about this project

Chota veer
WaheguroojikaKhalsaWaheguroojikiFateh!!

Bhai Kulbir Singh jeeo, it will be a great project... During our last visit to India this summer we got the book "Birds in Gurbani" which has a picture and 1 pager explanation of each bird used in Gurbani. Since then I was thinking that having a 1 pager stories on each person mentioned in Gurbani along with a picture depicting the essence of story will be a great idea.

Since you had been thinking about this project for sometime and must have gathered some information by now, I would request you to take the aut of Guru Sahib and do kirpa and compile that information for the benefit of sangat, especially the kids.

WaheguroojikaKhalsaWaheguroojikiFateh!!
Re: People mentioned Sri GuruBani ji
December 01, 2012 10:55AM
Can anyone share some information about Bidur in the meantime?
I was told about a book which I got today and it has the list and description of all names of people and places which came in Guru Granth Sahib ji. A very nice book. It is available at Sacha-Sauda.ca incase anyone is interested.

Sri Guru Granth Sahib Vich Aai Itihasik Nava(n) Te Thava(n) Da Kosh
By Mehtaab Singh (Master),
Published By Singh Brothers (Amritsar),
Language Punjabi,
Waheguruji ka khalsa waheguruji ki fateh jio

Below are links of a few scans of sakhian from the book Sri Bhagat Maal Steek, written by Giani Narain Singh Ji:

Raja Janak Ji: Raja Janak Ji

Rishi Baalmeek Ji: Rishi Baalmeek Ji

Other will be uploaded shortly.

P.S: 1. My Singh says that the book isn't completely flawless. So, I humbly request sangat to also do vichar upon anything they might not feel right.
2. I've never shared links via sky drive before....please do tell me if they don't work...and also the right method to do so.

Thank you smiling smiley
Waheguruji ka khalsa waheguruji ki fateh ji

Below are some scanned images of sakhian from the book "Sri Bhagat Maal Steek" written by Giani Narain Singh Ji:

Raja Janak Ji: Raja Janak Ji

Rishi Baalmeek Ji: Rishi Baalmeek Ji

Kubijaan: Kubijaan

Bidar Ji: Bidar Ji

Sakhi Bhagat Jaidev Ji

I've just re-read one of the above posts and I've mistyped the book's name.

The correct name is "Sri Gur Bhagat Maal steek"
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login