ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Akhand Kirtani Jatha in ‘JEOPARDY’

Posted by JASJIT SINGH 
Guru Piyario,

Don’t get scared reading above heading! Daas generally do not watch TV but we have a small size Bacha (child) which we do use some time for news. Today when we got home after attending the Divas Suhela program we turned TV on to watch news. On a national TV station ABC 7 there was show on the air known as ‘JEOPARDY’ hosted by Alex Trebek. This is a quiz show in which questions are asked about world history, politics, games, geography including about religions. Today out of many other topics host was asking about different religions, I was surprised to see that contestant chose slide about SIKHS. My excitement arose by many folds when I heard this on a main stream national television. But when I saw the question I was completely blown away which goes something like this:

“In Sikhs there is a sect Akhand Kirtani Jatha who calls small thing under the head cover”
And the contestant answered “Turban”

I am not sure about the exact wording of question because it happened in few seconds which if anyone can check I would really appreciate. It was in today’s episode Saturday December 22, 2012 7:00pm broadcasted from ABC 7 New York station.

My interest to find out is who brought the question about Akhand Kirtani Jatha for just one question on Sikhs. Why they did not chose anything else from Sikhs there could be million other questions like who was the founder of Sikhism? How many Gurus? And etc.
Whereas this is good to see that awareness about Sikhs is spreading in American main stream. Just yesterday there was Gora Sikh doctor on Dr. OZ’s show. Good to see this progress. However, today’s question is very surprising that it talked specifically about AKJ whereas not many Americans know about Sikhs in general. Other thing is question mentions ‘sect’ whereas AKJ is not a Sect but I think they could not do good job by distinguishing the different Jatheybandis but I think it’s ignorable though. Secondly, it looks like that AKJ is now world renowned for carrying the Rehit of Keski which I think is a big achievement and this quiz show reminded to all.
Anyway if someone can find the video of today’s episode then please let me know as Daas would like to keep it for record sake.

With Regards,
Jasjit Singh
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh Jasjit Singh jio,
Here is their website, you might find it here?
About them using word 'sect' for AKJ, it is appropriate definition as per jatha (what we Sikhs use), and here is definition detail link: [www.bing.com]
It is surely good that Sikhi getting more attention in American media, to end ignorance, as well as share important message of Akal Purakh to world in suffering (you know this from just working in insurance and electing call center, sadly children suffer most until adulthood to be burden/ danger on themselves and society..)
Bhul chuk muaf
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh
my apologies for typing error jio, I meant electric/ utilities call center...
Bhul chuk muaf..
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh
Here is link to jeapordy clip. It was from many months ago they must be redoing it.

[www.youtube.com]
Thanks Bhagatjot Singh jio for the link, they must be redoing it for Daas to watch smiling bouncing smiley. I wish there will be more repeats to this episode.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login