ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

surnames

Posted by kaur92 
surnames
April 07, 2011 02:46AM
waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ke fateh !!

After being blessed with Amrit we all adopt either Singh or Kaur as our surnames.

If we have a family surname on our passports and legal documents, should we drop this surname legally and put it as Kaur/Singh or is it ok to use this name for wordly purposes as long as we don't follow the caste that the surname is associated with?

Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: surnames
April 07, 2011 09:23AM
Although I have seen many Singhs using manmati names in 'legal' documents, it is not recommended to so. Singhs of course do not want to use any other label other than Singh or Kaur, but just as we have to take off Kirpaan under strict government regulations, some GurSikhs have to this step as well. Although, Daas only Singh in all legal documents, my closest GurSikh friends have to use last names, such as Gill, Dhaliwal, & Mann. But SatGuroo has saved me from this. VaaheGuroo!
April 07, 2011 11:35AM
I think it's fine to use surname for legal purposes on documents etc, main thing is that we don't indulge in any caste-ism behaviour like you have mentioned kaur92 jee. Even Sri Guru Raam Daas Sahib Jee is referred to as Sodhi in Gurbani (many Gursikhs often refer to 4th Patshaah as “Sodhi Sultaan”), same with Sri Guru Gobind Singh Jee, they call themselves "Sodhi Rae".

This is not a big deal, and surely nothing to say "SatGuroo has saved me from this" about Bhai Jaspreet Singh Jee.
April 08, 2011 08:49AM

What about if people around you follow or associate you with the caste?

Also, if we have Singh/Kaur as our surnames then should we give our children Singh/Kaur as their surname or should they get this when they are blessed with Amrit?

April 08, 2011 09:51AM
kaur92
What about if people around you follow or associate you with the caste?

Also, if we have Singh/Kaur as our surnames then should we give our children Singh/Kaur as their surname or should they get this when they are blessed with Amrit?

Regarding the first question: Gursikhs don't associate themselves with, or follow the caste system. This is the clear hukam, many times, from Gurbani. So I can't say more on top of this. If, even after becoming Gursikhs, people are still indulging in caste system regarding things like marriage, which unfortunately I think many still are, then I don't know what to say or do about that. Surely they will have to give account of that themselves. The Khalsa says "khalsa meri jaat ar paat" The Khalsa is my caste and social status (creed).

If one does not want to use the surname, one can use the Pind (village) from India, or where you currently live, as a surname. Many Gursikhs are referred to like this for eg Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh Jee Narangwal, Baba Sundar Singh Jee Bhindavale, Baba Attar Singh Jee Mastuanvale etc, even politicians for e.g. Prakash Sinh Badal

Here in the West, on birth certificate and other such documents, "Singh" or "Kaur" is usually put as the middlename, and surname (got) is put as last name. The tradition is to write this in even before the children are Amritdhari, so I think Gursikh parents should definately put that in (Singh or Kaur) from the onset after receiving Hukamnama from Sri Guru Granth Sahib Jee regarding the name of the baby, as I think majority already do. It's also a big hassle changing legal documents when one is older.
April 08, 2011 09:54AM
Unlike Jaskirat Singh and Jaspreet Singh Veer Ji I did not have the great fortune
to be born in a Gurmukh household; thus, I still have a manmukh last name.
When I approached my biological father, and expressed my desire to legally change my last name he
called me a "fanatic" ( hahaha). He is still getting over his fathers death and Im sure it ruined his
pride when I told him Im going to change my name permanently. We really do not have a great
father- son relationship , and since taken Amrit there has been conflicts in the household so for the time being
I will postpone the name change until a more suitable time when things calm down. Before I get married
and have children I will change the last name permanently for sure. Until thn I know GUru Sahib
understands my situation and will forgive me .

About a year ago I had this conversation about "surnames" with some Singhs. I told them it goes against
maryada to keep last names of previous birth, and mentioned the following Hukumnama by Guru Sahib
Singha da adha naam nahi bulauna - Hukum #36

One of the Singhs said adha( half) refers to Nickname and has nothing to do with surnames. I responded in saying adha refers to "incomplete name" meaning never call a Sikh by his incomplete name. Meaning never just by his first name we should always add his last name ( singh ) when addressing him. The conversation between me and the Singh really got nowhere and we just decided to agree to disagree.

Either way Guru Sahib has shown us through his own example that previous last name should be removed after taking Amrit. There is a rehatnama that further gives us Hukum to keep the last name Singh.
ਪੰਜਾਂ ਸਿਖ ਨਾਲ ਮਿਲ ਕਰਿ ਪਾਹੁਲ ਲੈਣੀ॥ ਗੁਰੂ ਕੇ ਸਿੰਘ ਕਰਨਾ॥
ਰਹਿਤ ਉਪਦੇਸ਼ ਗੁਰਮੰਤ੍ਰ ਸ਼ਸਤ੍ਰ ਰਖਣੇ॥ ਨਾਂਵ ਏਥੇ ਆਇ ਕਰ
ਸਿੰਘ ਰਖਣਾ॥
After taking Amrit, one is to follow the teachings of coduct, recite the Gurus Mantra,
and keep arms. They are too keep the last name Singh.
- BHai Chaupa SIngh Ji

Every Gurmukh has always changed his last name after taken Amrit. Bhai Randhir Singh ji even changed his first name ( basant) since it was a name not given by Guru Sahib. Another example is Banda SIngh Bahadur whos previous name was Madho Das. After initiation he changed his name and adopted the name Singh. Before taking Amrit, Banda Singh Bahadur expressed his desire to Guru Sahib to become a Guru Ka SIkh. GUru Sahib responded with the following:
"ਸਿੱਖ ਹੋਇ ਜੋ ਆਪਾ ਖੋਵੈ, ਮੇਟ ਕੁਲੈ ਨਿਜ ਗੁਰ ਕੁਲ ਹੋਵੈ"
One can become a Sikh by destroying themselves ( ego) , previous family, and becoming part of the Gurus family.
as belonging to the Gurus family.

So if we want to be part of the GUrus family ( Khalsa tribe) then previous family tribal names need to go. Everyday we recite the following
ਗੁਰਦੇਵ ਮਾਤਾ ਗੁਰਦੇਵ ਪਿਤਾ ਗੁਰਦੇਵ ਸੁਆਮੀ ਪਰਮੇਸੁਰਾ
The Divine Guru is my mother, the Divine Guru is my father; the Divine Guru is my Transcendent Lord and Master.

and

ਤੁਮ ਮਾਤ ਪਿਤਾ ਹਮ ਬਾਰਿਕ ਤੇਰੇ ॥
You are our mother and father; we are Your children.

If we really believe in these verses then what is need of previous tribal/caste name??
April 12, 2011 10:55PM
Humree Jaat Paat Gurr Satgurrr
Hum Vecheyo Sir Gurr Ke
April 07, 2012 03:30AM
can we use khalsa as a surname legally? but the hazard is that in case our offspring go wrong then it will be a blot on this surname.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login