ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rowling gives starring role to Sikh family in new novel

Posted by Mehtab Singh 
[www.thehindu.com]

“It’s an amazing religion. My interest was sparked years and years and years ago when I was still in my twenties – and a girl I worked with briefly came from a Sikh family. We only ever had one serious conversation on the subject but it has stuck with me. She told me about the fact that men and women were explicitly described as equal in the holy book and that women are not excluded from any part of religious rites or observances. I couldn’t believe it,” she said.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
that they find so exciting and intriguing ?
something that us too simple to us, these people are mad shocked with it. wow
I think this is pretty cool. Good exposure for Sikhi.
What is sad is that some punjabi's are protesting how the Sikh girl in Rowling's book is being portrayed. Rowling herself said she admires Sikhi for its equality of gender, and obviously respects the fact that Sikh women as well as men keep ALL their kesh - yet some feeble-minded individuals are "outraged" at how the character is portrayed as being hairy and are threatening to have the book banned because it "tarnishes" our community's so-called image. Seriously?

Balpreet Kaur, who has recently made so many of us so very proud, has written a very dignified response to this:
[www.guardian.co.uk]

I'm personally disgusted at how cowardly Punjabis are when it comes to publically acknowledging the issue of Kaurs keeping kesh, but I'm glad that we have bibian like Balpreet Kaur who are speaking up, and in such a beautifully humble manner.
They say in India some people are protesting this book. I hope it's not that fat angry clown from National Shiromani Akali Dal. I think his name is Paramjeet Pamma
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login