ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sarbloh and Degh

Sarbloh and Degh
February 14, 2010 12:55PM
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Just a few questions for the sangat.

1. What is the purpose of Sarbloh in sikhi? i.e why is a sarbloh bata used in amrit sanchar/kakkars? What is the spiritual significance/benefits of sarbloh rehat?
2. What is the purpose/significance of degh (I understand Bhai Sahib Bhai Randhir Singh Ji has written about this)? What is the history behind it?

Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Sarbloh and Degh
February 14, 2010 09:55PM

1. What is the purpose of Sarbloh in sikhi? i.e why is a sarbloh bata used in amrit sanchar/kakkars? What is the spiritual significance/benefits of sarbloh rehat?

Sarbloh is one of the most important rehit blessed by Siri Guru Gobind Singh jee Maharaj. The ultimate purpose of Sarbloh is known only to Guru Sahib just like other rehits. Many scholars give different reasons as to why we are blessed with 5 Kakaars but the real reason why we wear Kakaars is that it is a Hukam of Guru Sahib. A Sikh does not need to know any other benefit or reason. A Sikh keeps Rehit of Guru Sahib because Rehit is Hukam of Guru Sahib. Same way, serious seekers of Vaheguru, keep the Sarbloh Rehit to please Guru Sahib. Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh even after reaching the lofty status of Brahmgyani, kept this rehit with utmost strictness. This teaches us to keep this rehit under all circumstances. No weakness should be shown in keeping Rehit.

We don't keep rehit for very worldly and superficial reasons. We claim that we have given our head to Guru Sahib during Amrit Sinchaar ceremony but when it comes to keeping rehit including Sarbloh Bibek, Amritvela, we show shameless weakness, so much so that we don't even feel guilty for not keeping these rehits. We start giving examples of Mahapurakhs who did not keep this rehit and this way justify our weakness but we forget that the Mahapurakhs we quote, used to do massive Kamaayee of Naam and Gurbani. It is not possible for us to imitate them. We should not follow what others did but we should just obey the hukam of Guru Sahib and stop using Siyaanap (intelligence).

When Siri Guru Dasmesh jee made the decision to prepare Amrit for initiation purpose, he had at his disposal gold, silver and other precious metals but he chose Sarbloh for this purpose. He loved this metal - Sarbloh - so much that he even called Vaheguru by this name as is evident if we look at the starting of his Baani Akal Ustat. Benefits and significance of Sarbloh will be discussed in detail in a separate article but here I would like to mention that the rehit of Sarbloh is a mandatory rehit of Khalsa and if one wants full Khushi of Guru Sahib, one must keep all rehit including Sarbloh.

2. What is the purpose/significance of degh (I understand Bhai Sahib Bhai Randhir Singh Ji has written about this)? What is the history behind it?

What to talk about Degh, but all langar in Gurughar should be cooked in Sarbloh. Bhai Sahib has written about this extensively in his book - Gurmat Bibek. From the time of Siri Guru Dasmesh jee, Singhs have been eating food cooked in Sarbloh only. This is one of the important rehit of Khalsa. Khalsa eats food cooked in Sarbloh utensils, by Tyaar-bar-Tyaar Khalsa and furthermore eats out of Sarbloh utensils. This is the rehit that Bhai Sahib used to follow and also other Mahapurakhs like Baba Mitt Singh, Baba Gurbachan Singh Bhindranwale. We should strive to keep Sarbloh Bibek.

Kulbir Singh
February 14, 2010 10:13PM
Bhagat Ji (Bhai Jaswant Singh) writes the following in their "Questions and Answers" pothi:

ਜਿਸ ਪਦਾਰਥ ਦਾ ਸੱਚੇ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੂ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਜੀ ਨੂੰ ਭੋਗ ਲੁਆਇਆ ਹੈ,ਉਸ ਨੂੰ ਬਿਬੇਕੀ ਕਿਉਂ ਨਹੀਂ ਖਾਂਦੇ?

ਪਦਾਰਥ ਤਿਆਰ ਕਰਨ ਲੱਗਿਆਂ, ਜੇ ਪੂਰਨ ਮਰਿਯਾਦਾ ਸੁੱਚਮ, ਸਰਬ ਲੋਹ ਦਾ ਪੂਰਨ ਪਹਿਰਾ ਨ ਹੋਵੇ, ਤਾਂ ਆਪਾਂ ਕਿਸੇ ਗੁਰਮਖਿ ਬਿਬੇਕੀ ਜੀ ਨੂੰ ਨ ਕਹੀਏ,ਆਪਣੀ ਸੋਧ ਕਰੀਏ ਜੀ ਪਿਆਰੇ।

Pothi's can be found at gursevak.com
February 14, 2010 10:17PM
Gurditt Singh jee, thanks for sharing these Gurmat views of Bhagat jee. Wonderful thoughts!

Kulbir Singh
February 15, 2010 03:03AM

Thank you for your reply Bhai Kulbir Singh Ji.

I agree that the hukam of Guru Sahib is all a sikh needs to know. However when explaining why we practise something to non-sikhs it helps to have a better understanding of these topics.

Seeing as this was my question: “Benefits and significance of Sarbloh will be discussed in detail in a separate article.”

I will wait for the article to be posted.

December 01, 2010 05:36PM
Where does it say exactly that a sikh is supposed to keep sarbloh rehat? like cooking and eating in sarbloh. please let me know.
thank you.
December 01, 2010 07:13PM
my dear leafy jee

if we go on the basis of where certain things are written then fir tan kam ho gyaa

sarabloh bibek is an utmost practise that needs to be revived.

why do u we prepare amrit in a bata

sarabloh is an excellent conductor or energy
in this case spiritual energy

where is it written that i must keep hair and tie a turban

name the ang of guroo sahib

the elders of the forum can go into detail about sarabloh bibek

i just wanted to say
lets not live this life based on whats written down and whats not
December 01, 2010 07:23PM
I second Bhai Tanvir Singh Ji's post.
Although, it may not be 'written' anywhere
BUT
Bhai Sahib Bhai Randhir Singh Ji has written an article regarding Sarbloh Bibek at the end of the book "Gurmat Bibek", if u want to read that, then go ahead.

The fact that AMRIT is prepared in Sarbloh, is enuf proof that sarbloh is a must and necessary, the rest is up to u.
December 01, 2010 08:13PM
ok thank you. i'll try to find that article to read. yeah i thought of that too, i suppose when a person cooks in sarbloh and each time they begin to cook and see sarbloh, they must be reminded of the amrit sanchar too....sarbloh is beautiful too.

but what about if a person has to do work for long hours and they need to eat food at work? then?? how would you take your lunch to work? or water? can i take my vegetables and fruits in a plastic container or no?
December 01, 2010 08:43PM
any one has any idea what the chemical element sarbloh is made of in the Periodic Table-Chem?
is it Ferum/Iron ?

Chota veer
December 01, 2010 08:57PM
like i said

i cook and eat at home

i dont bother taking food with me outside lol

bhai kulbir singh or jasjit singh may help you out

i know them personally, they probably take food with them

a young singh in our jatha, wraps his food is a small white rumalal, makes a neat little package and takes it to school

our pyaara Preetam Singh.

hope that helps

water can be taken in a stainless steel bottle (i do this)

unless you are able to wash the tap or drinking fountain at work with soap

daasraa
tanvir singh
December 02, 2010 08:38AM
Waheguru Ji ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji ki Fateh

bhai kulbir singh or jasjit singh may help you out
i know them personally, they probably take food with them

Bhai Tanvir Singh Jio, Sorry jio daas do not have to bring lunch to work as I do it at home during lunch break for almost past 10 years. Just for clarification Daas do not have strict Pehra in Sarabloh Rehat unless you are talking about 20 years ago at that time with Guru Sahib Kirpa Daas had strict Pehra and bring Suki (dry) Sabji with Parantha for lunch to school. Bhai Kulbir Singh Jee and many other Singhs who keeps this Rehat strictly can help here.

With Regards,
Daas
December 02, 2010 08:38AM
There is old writings that refer to Sarabloh too, in this thread where Bhai Kulbir Singh Jee explained important passages from Gurmat Bibek book, I pasted it in the last message:

[gurmatbibek.com]

These might also be worth reading:
Sarb Loh Bibek in the words of Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh Jee
Rare Historical Evidence - Sarbloh Rehat Bachan by Guru Gobind Singh Jee
December 02, 2010 12:22PM
VaahegurooJeeKaaKhaalsaa! VaahegurooJeeKeeFateh!

Bhai Tanvir Singh Jee, when you say "water can be taken in a stainless steel bottle (i do this)," do you drink from the bottle or keep a bata with you to actually drink from? I have heard from some Singhs and Kaurs (who keep Sarbloh bibek rehat) this same thing; that they travel with 'jal' in a steel bottle or container, when traveling long distances or at work. But I would imagine one would still only actually drink from a sarbloh cup or bata, right? Currently at work, daas simply brings 'pineeaa,' dates, nuts, bananas, etc. to eat. I work 12+ hour shifts, and that provides plenty of fuel.

VaahegurooJeeKaaKhaalsaa! VaahegurooJeeKeeFateh!
Tarnveer Singh
December 02, 2010 03:11PM
VahegurooJeeKaaKhalsaa VahegurooJeeKeeFatheh

Bhai TarnveerSingh Jee

Daas had kept a good pehraa of sarabloh bibek from April till mid-September.
At this time, I must admit, the pehra has become somewhat dhilla.
Daas is still practising bibek, but as long as the food is cooked in sarabloh, I eat and drink in steel or sarabloh (in this case, straight from my bottle)
i don't know what the problem is, but please do an ardaas for daas to get back to sampooran sarabloh bibek.

As for your question, hanji bhai sahib, I used to carry a sarabloh bata and a glass with me everywhere I went in a small pouch (like a khazana). LOL
I can't stay without food. And Like yourself, I would take fruit, praunthe and other small things (wrapped in a cloth) and then would eat and drink in the bata and glass.
I almost got suspended from school in may 2010 for "possessing weapons". This was the cafeteria supervisor's reaction to my sarabloh bhande. LOL
December 02, 2010 04:44PM
Lunch breaks should mainly be spent in doing paaht. With the 5 or 10 minutes remaining if one is hungry then they can eat an apple or some almonds. There is no need to bring sabji in Sarab Loh because its hard to store such things at work. Almonds and apples are not only healthy; both destroy a persons appetite to want to eat more and more. In addition, eating one apple is equivalent to drinking two cups of coffee so need to worry about lacking energy when one eats an apple smiling smiley
December 03, 2010 11:02AM
if one is permitted to store food in glass vessels at home, it is only logical that one could also use those same glass vessels to transport food to work (or to friend's houses, picnicks, etc). transfer the food into sarbloh before consuming, just like one would at home.

the idea that one cannot eat lunch outside the house is pretty much ridiculous. sarbloh bibek is supposed to aid in your spiritual growth, not define your entire life.
December 03, 2010 11:37AM
Bhai Sukhdeep Singh jio, can you please explain why you feel a gursikh shouldn't consume lunch? What could possibly be wrong with having lunch? Keeping bibek doesn't mean fasting when having food is possible.

Many Singhs take lunch to work. Sandwiches, parshada with dry sabhjee both don't require any containers. Both can be wrapped in kapra and taken to work. Almost every job allows you access to a tap of water. Soudh it and soudh your hands.
December 03, 2010 01:26PM
Amritvela Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Bhai Sukhdeep Singh jio, can you please explain
> why you feel a gursikh shouldn't consume lunch?
> What could possibly be wrong with having lunch?
> Keeping bibek doesn't mean fasting when having
> food is possible.
>

Veer Ji , sorry for the misunderstanding. One can eat but it should be limited a majority of the time should be used in reciting Bani/Naam Abhyiaas. I didnt say eating lunch is forbidden in Sikhi, but eating lunch without doing paath is forbidden. We are suppose to do paaht during Lunchtime . In the past , all Monothesitic faiths have accepted this time to take a break from work to worship God. Sikhi is no exception as many Rehatnama indicate.

Baba Niranjan Singh Ji mentions that when people pray at the same time even if they are at different places it has an hidden effect on the devotees. Think about it? How much of a better place if the Dharmic people went back observing this praying time there would be so much laha for everyone. Observing prayers at this time is a praupakaree ( altruist ) act. Would you rather do a kind dharmic action or just fill your belly during lunch break? Only in Kaljug will people be so caught up in their jobs, affairs that they cant spend time to worship God during their break.
December 03, 2010 01:38PM
Thanks for being clearer veerji. It seemed you were suggesting lunch shouldn't be taken at this time as a rule. I agree that any free time should be used for abhiyaas of Naam and gurbani but eating food is important for nourishment of the body too! You can't jap Naam if your body is tired and weak.
December 03, 2010 02:01PM
i think we can eat and remember god both at once. winking smiley

ਜਿਨਾ ਸਾਸਿ ਗਿਰਾਸਿ ਨ ਵਿਸਰੈ ਸੇ ਹਰਿ ਜਨ ਪੂਰੇ ਸਹੀ ਜਾਣਿ ॥
Those who do not forget the Lord, while breathing or eating - know them to be the perfect servants of the Lord.
December 03, 2010 02:33PM
Veer Sukhdeep Singh Ji's explanation note is appreciable. thumbs up
December 15, 2010 08:58AM
Have couple of questions about Sabloh Bibek if Sangat can pls do Kirpa Please !!

1) Can we use water boiled in the electronic kettle ?
2) Can we use the non-sarbloh stemer(actually none exists in the Sarbloh as such) to steam vegetables ?

Bhul Chuk Maaf !!
December 15, 2010 09:03AM
Gursewak ji,

Gursewak
1) Can we use water boiled in the electronic kettle ?

How can one use water boiled in something that is not sarbloh? All heating and cooking can only be done in sarbloh. This is why, hot tap water is not used in making Langar or Degh.

Gursewak
2) Can we use the non-sarbloh stemer(actually none exists in the Sarbloh as such) to steam vegetables ?

Again, heating and cooking can only be done in sarbloh. Steam countered on plastic or other such materials is not fit for consumption in sarbloh bibek.

Bhull chuk maaf karni ji.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login