ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Dushahra smagham ?

Posted by Sukhdeep Singh 
Dushahra smagham ?
March 04, 2012 01:59PM
On a different thread somebody mentioned going to "Dushahra smagham". Is it appropirate for Gursikhs to start naming smaghams after hindu holidays. Its like those of us living in the West referring to Vasakhi Smagaams as Easter Smagham. Because many people claim Puratan Sikhs used to celelbrate Dussehra , and hazur saHIB singhs celeberate this event its best to avoid using the name Dushara Smagham as many people might things its ok to celebrate this hindu event.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Dushahra smagham ?
March 04, 2012 05:18PM
The word "Dushera" is just a name given to a time period near the end of October. If Singhs use this term, that doesn't mean are influenced by the Hindus. It is just like the term "Hola Mahala", which is derived from the term "Holi". In fact, the word Holi also comes in Gurbani:

ਹੋਲੀ ਕੀਨੀ ਸੰਤ ਸੇਵ ||

I celebrate Holi by doing Sangat of the Saints(Gursikhs).
March 04, 2012 06:25PM
Towards the end of October Hindus celebrate Rams victory over Ravan this is known as Dusshera. Its best that we avoid the term Dushera when referring to Smaghams the same way we avoid using the word Diwali when celebrating Bandhi Chhor.

The Gurbani quote you provided is referring to Holi the Hindu festivel. Guru Sahib says his holi is serving the Gurmukh saints. THe same way his pilgramage to 68 holy places of Hindus is the the giving ( chanting) of naam.

ਅਠਸਠਿ ਤੀਰਥ ਸਗਲ ਪੁੰਨ ਜੀਅ ਦਇਆ ਪਰਵਾਨੁ ॥

This doesnt mean Guru Sahib celebrated holi or went on hindu pilgrimages. Holla Mohalla is distinct from Holi. Holi is a Hindu festivel which Hindus flow colors on each other. Holla Mohalla is a Sikh celebration in which SInghs throw shasters at one another exhibiting their martial ability. Dushera is a Hindu festivel and has no place in the Sikh world. Once again to avoid confusion we should avoid using the name of Hindu Celebrations when celebrating Sikhi. THe panth is already struggling in teaching people the difference between diwaili and bandi chhor. Why throw in another obstacle?
March 04, 2012 08:13PM
Sukhdeep Veerjee, As far as I know Dusherra Samaagam is a long weekend/holiday back in India, how we have Thanksgiving day weekend here in the states or I think boxing day in Canada (?). They don't literally mean that it is a Dusherra Samaagam, rather a long weekend Samaagam. I think they probably got used to calling it Dusherra Samaagam after many years of having samaagam during that time.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login