ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Punjabi Unicode on Android based Phones and Tablets

Posted by Kulbir Singh 
Could someone guide as to how Punjabi unicode (e.g. Gurbani written in unicode on websites as this one) can be viewed on Android based phones and Tablets e.g. Samsung Galaxy?

One option is Apple based phones and tablets because I know Apple's ipad and iphones somewhat support Punjabi unicode but if someone wants to stay away from the "autocratic and arrogant empire" of Apple, then Android is the only logical choice.

Any help helping Android users read Gurbani files on Internet, would be greatly appreciated. If a solution is not available, then our Gursikh techs out there should take note and find solution to this problem.

Kulbir Singh
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
No idea about the fonts but on a lighter note, why stay away from something which is helping ya. Just use the iPad or iPhone if they support the fonts. Who knows how arrogant Google is?
I assume the Google Nexus is also another option.
Found the solution to view unicode on Android based phones and tablets.

1. Download Opera Mini browser from Android Market. It takes two minutes to do so and it's free.
2. Type "config:" (exclude quotes) in the address bar and hit 'Go' . Configuration page will be displayed.
3. Scroll down and look for 'Use bitmap fonts for complex scripts' and select 'Yes'.
4. Click 'Save'.
5. Close the browser and try webpage with Punjabi unicode font.

I tried the above on my Samsung Galaxy tablet and the Punjabi fonts are visible very clearly.

Kulbir Singh
What is going on?

Turning your back on Apple to go to Android..!!!

May we come back to Apple. You know what they say " A Apple a day keeps the doctor away". LOL
Bhai Kulbir Singh ji, I would like to point out one little mistake:
in the Opera mini browser address bar, you're supposed to type about:config, and not just config:
then scroll down to the bottom of the page and select yes in the last option and click save. Hope you can finally see Gurmukhi font on your google tablet. I just tried this on my Nokia C3-00, which has Opera mini browser pre-installed, and it works!
May we come back to Apple. You know what they say " A Apple a day keeps the doctor away". LOL

Agree jio, this is the best ever Apple iPod I have seen, thanks to Bhai Harsh Singh for the image.smiling bouncing smiley

Also, if you are using Unix/Linux operating systems, windows fonts won't work these systems. I had to download Unix supported fonts before I could see Gurmukhi on this site. The unicode fonts for Unix/Linux operating systems are available on Sikhnet.
not sure with nokia but with android phones it works as explained by Bhai Kulbir Singh . *config:*

Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa
Vaheguru Ji Ki Fateh
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login