ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ok To Take Off Dastaar For Parchaar Purposes?

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
Ok To Take Off Dastaar For Parchaar Purposes?
March 16, 2011 10:20AM
Vaheguroo, with Guroo Sahibs Kirpa dass works in a college with 16-18 NEETS (Not in Education, Emoloyement or Training) and they always question me about my Dastaar (in a good way). Is it ok to take off my dastaar to show them how to tie one, how to do Satkaar of Kesh, show them what a DAstaar is etc?
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
why would u take off ur dastaar?

just go on to YOUTUBE and type in how to tie dastaar or dumalla

Laadlifauj's has a good video on how to tie a dumalla and you can just point how he is tying it etc...
i actually removed my videos haha, i don't jhulaa my dumalla that way anymore. i'll try to get the new technique up soon
Dhan Guroo Nanak Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Vaheguroo, with Guroo Sahibs Kirpa dass works in a
> college with 16-18 NEETS (Not in Education,
> Emoloyement or Training) and they always question
> me about my Dastaar (in a good way). Is it ok to
> take off my dastaar to show them how to tie one,
> how to do Satkaar of Kesh, show them what a
> DAstaar is etc?

There is nothing wrong with teaching curious minds about Sikhi
as long as one doesnt do things which are against Sikhi. There is nothing
wrong with re-tying your dastar in front of people. Its part of our duty to
educate people who want to know about Sikhi.

I use to work as a Substitute. One of the schools I use to go to the students
would always ask me questions about my dastar. Because religion cannot
be discussed in Public schools , I would just use to tell them its part of my culture. They would then
say "whats underneath the turban" I would respond my "kes".
These young children were so curious to see kes, and would ask if they can see my kes. Since Im such a mean teacher ( haha), I would always tell them No. One day towards the end of the year I told them if they were nice I would let them
see how I tie my turban. Because they were on good behavior I showed them how I tie a dastar. It probably went
against school policy but I couldn't make a promsie to them and then break it. They were real surprised and full of awe.
One of the students said "Mr. Singh doesnt even need a mirror!" haha. For the whole day they kept bragging to the other students about how they got to see my hair. When these students get older they will remember the kes everytime they see another Singh. Hardly anybody in the US know about Sikhi. In previous jobs people would ask me " Do you go to the mosque on Friday?"
Khalsa should not strive to insult Guru Sahib in any form or way.
Taking off Guru ji's Crown and letting hair loose in front of monay/patits/bemukhs/manmukhs is a huge kurehit, and is a total violation of the Khalsa Rehit.
If you can provide a valid historical source or rehatnama that forbids one
to comb their hair amongst non-Gursikhs then I will stop this practice.
Since you mentioned its a violation of the Khalsa rehat please provide which
rehatnama you are referring too.

Its one thing going out in public without bana, but its another things combing
ones hair to educate others about ones Dharma.
WJKK WJKF

Jaspreet jeeo it seems you are so narrow minded in your views of Khalsa rehit -- !!!
Sukhdeep Singh
If you can provide a valid historical source or rehatnama that forbids one
to comb their hair amongst non-Gursikhs then I will stop this practice.
Since you mentioned its a violation of the Khalsa rehat please provide which
rehatnama you are referring too.

Its one thing going out in public without bana, but its another things combing
ones hair to educate others about ones Dharma.

Sukhdeep Singh virji, not everything is written in these "RehatNamey". Some of the things prescribed in Gurmat are general knowledge, hence; this is where I believe "Bibek Budh" comes into play. I would like to humbly ask you one question if it doesn't stress you: Are you saying that before any of these "RehatNamey" were written, Singhs didn't know anything about Sikhi? Is it that much of a relevance to Sikhi to dig into these "RehatNameys" in order to learn about Sikhi. I believe learning about Gurmat is more centered on individual experiences such as Kamaai of Naam-Gurbaani. Really, the True RehatNama that Sikhs have is "Shiri Guru Granth Sahib Ji Maharaj". Don't get me wrong; I am in no way saying that RehatNamey are wrong, but since they all have been written by different individuals, perceptions of Gurmat in these "RehatNamey" can often differ. Correct if I'm wrong here jio!

ns
WJKK WJKF

Jaspreet jeeo it seems you are so narrow minded in your views of Khalsa rehit -- !!!

'ns' jio! Thank you for your kind comments ji! I can not express the level of gratitude towards you right now. This is why we need amazing, siaane, sincere, ChardiKala Singhs/Singhnis here such as you to educate us about Gurmat, so we can have clear understanding about Sikhi. Thank you, please do accept a humble request; what did you actually mean by I am narrow minded in my views about Khalsa Rehit? May you please kindly expand on that, sorry I am a moorakh, blind, I don't know what you mean!

Bhulan Chukan di Khima Bakhshni!

VaheGuroo JI KA Khalsa VaheGuroo Ji Ki Fatheh!!!
Jaspreet Singh Jee,

Sukhdeep Singh Jee is correct in asking you to back up your claims. You cannot have such a bold statement about rehit without backing it up with either rehitnaame, writing of older gursikhs, Guru Granth Sahib's bani, Dasam Bani, Bhai Gurdaas Jee's Vaaraan, etc. "Bibek Budh" comes from doing veechaar of these sources of knowledge, please share with us where you have found this rehit.
Preetam Singh jio!

I never once stated that what I'm claiming has been mentioned in any historical accounts, or any form of Gurmat literature. I could be wrong in many places, and my views may not necessarily be right.

It's just that this is the way I saw it; taking off Siri Guru Gobind Singh jis Crown and letting hair loose is like an insult to GurSikhi, insult to all those Great Shahids, insult to Shiri Guru Arjun Dev Sahib Ji's Shahidi, etc. It is the same as surrendering yourself to non-GurSikhs.

Sure, I may have twisted views, but that's just how I am. smiling smiley
Jaspreet Singh Jee,

You should not have claimed it as a Kurrehit then. Sure you may feel this is not something that singhs should do, but by being so aggressive about it without having any proof too support your claims, you are only pushing people away from understanding your point of view.
You're right Preetam Singh ji, may I shouldn't have claimed it as a Kurehit. Secondly, would you please clear it up how am I pushing people away?

Now let's please get back to the original question posed by the person who started this thread, as I don't want to see another thread going astray, we have seen this in the past, so let's not repeat. I believe going off topic and ignoring what the original poster is asking would account to pushing people away. So let's just focus on the matter of discussion here.
JaspreetSingh Wrote:
> Preetam Singh jio!
>
> I never once stated that what I'm claiming has
> been mentioned in any historical accounts, or any
> form of Gurmat literature. I could be wrong in
> many places, and my views may not necessarily be
> right.
>
> It's just that this is the way I saw it; taking
> off Siri Guru Gobind Singh jis Crown and letting
> hair loose is like an insult to GurSikhi, insult
> to all those Great Shahids, insult to Shiri Guru
> Arjun Dev Sahib Ji's Shahidi, etc. It is the same
> as surrendering yourself to non-GurSikhs.
>
> Sure, I may have twisted views, but that's just
> how I am. smiling smiley

Its not an insult when one removes the dastar through out the day.
With the greatest pride I remove my dastar twice a day to comb my
kes. I cannot imagine living life without having darshan twice a day of my kes.
It makes me remember all the shaheed Singhs like SahibZaadey, Bhai Taru Singh Ji, Bhai Mani Singh Ji, who
sacrificed their life so I can have the right to keep and honor kes. Nor do I see it wrong to educate people
who I am and why I adore the kes by covering it with a keski and dastar. I dont even have a beautiful healthy kes, but
when the children saw this they were wonderstuck. THis is all glory to Guru Gobind Singh Ji, he gets happy when
we teach those people who want to know about Sikhi. People cut their kes because they dont understand its part
of their nature.
ਬੋਲਿ ਭੇਦ ਸਭ ਪਿਯਹਿ ਸਿਖਾਯੋ ॥ ਰੋਮ ਨਾਸ ਤਿਹ ਬਦਨ ਲਗਾਯੋ ॥ ਸਭ ਹੀ ਕੇਸ ਦੂਰ ਕਰਿ ਡਾਰੇ ॥ ਪੁਰਖ ਨਾਰਿ ਨਹਿ ਜਾਤ ਬਿਚਾਰੇ ॥੮॥
- Sri Guru Gobind Singh Jee
But Sukhdeep Singh jio, you still haven't answered my question. I asked you whether Singhs had anything specific knowledge regarding Sikhi prior to these RehatNaamey being written.
Sukhdeep Singh ji, I never said that to remove dastaar and do Kanghaa both in the morning and in the evening is wrong. In fact, it is Hukam to do so:

ਕੰਘਾ ਦੋਨੋ ਵਕਤ ਕਰ ਪਾਗ ਚੁਨੈ ਕਰ ਬਾਂਧਈ ॥
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Veerjeeo, I actually did this years ago, for my world history class in high school.

We were in midst of our Asian history studies portion of the course when Shiri Guru Nanak Dev Jee and the history of the Sikh religion came up. My teacher suggested that I prepare a lesson on Sikhi as she had some, but very limited knowledge on the Sikhs. She also recommended that I speak about the turban and why we wear it. She gave me 2 lesson days to teach my fellow peers.

On the first day I decided to show them my daily routine and how I tie my dastaar every morning. That day slowly removed my dastaar 'larh' by 'larh' in front of the entire class. Once removed, I combed my Kesh in front of them and showed them why we keep a Kanga with us. Then, I had one of my fellow classmates do 'Puni' (folding the dastaar in preparation of tying it) and tied it back once more. There were no questions right after the session as all the classmates as well as my teacher learned all what they needed to know in that 30 minute session. It also made them really respect my choice to wear a dastaar and retie it every day (after gym).

This was a very great experience for all my fellow classmates who further went on to tell others about the dastaar. For those 4 years, we had no incidents involving discrimination or abuse towards Sikhs who wore dastaars or patkay in our high school. It made things much easier for all the Sikhs who went to my school for that time.

I truly believe that having a closed mind in these situations only breeds negativity towards Sikhi. We need to be open and expose others to our wonderful faith. My older cousin, Bhai Pritpal Singh Jee reminded me that, “our faith is here to empower us, not to enslave us”. As Gursikhs we must keep Rehat, that is obvious, but we also must remember that as Amritdhari Sikhs, we are the messengers and missionaries of our faith.

This is just my small story on the benefits. Hope this helps Jee!
Jagjit Singh NY Wrote:
, “our faith is here
> to empower us, not to enslave us”. As Gursikhs
> we must keep Rehat, that is obvious, but we also
> must remember that as Amritdhari Sikhs, we are
> the messengers and missionaries of our faith"
>

Veer Ji great story and great quote. It was nice for you to show classmates the beauty of Sikhi. I hope
you can one day show me how to play beautiful Rara Sahib- Naam Simran Tune one day smiling smiley
JaspreetSingh Wrote:
> But Sukhdeep Singh jio, you still haven't answered
> my question. I asked you whether Singhs had
> anything specific knowledge regarding Sikhi prior
> to these RehatNaamey being written.

Bhai Sahib of course Singhs had prior knowledge. Only Singhs like us need it to be written down.
If Singhs believed not to show kes to non- Gursikhs then this mean they could not do Kes Ishaan at
Harmandir Sahib. There are rehatnamey that also says dry kes under the sun. Does this mean they would run away
as soon as they saw a non-Gursikh?
Well Said Veer Jagjit Singh "NY" Jeeeo,

I personally, would never want to remove my dumalla, in such a place or occasion. It's not only a matter of rehit or respect. It's too long and takes forever to re-tie.

Haha!

But yes, I agree, that when someone, who wants to learn and is being respectful towards the procedure, asks us, we should either explain it to them verbally, or if its a large group, and say we are inside a room, Close the door, and show them how it's done by all means. There is no doubt, that such a move, will ensure the respect of students and certainly prevent discrimination or hate crimes amongst the school or the community.

Being in Sukhdeep Singh's shoes (a school teacher), I think we hold much more power in our hands, than we can usually analyze in our heads. You did it as a student, Jagjit Singh Veer, I'm sure one or two kids got a crack out of it. Now, Sukhdeep Singh jee, as a teacher, probably got the attention of his peers and other students as well.

It's all about Love and education. Be polite and understanding if somebody wants to see it, politely refuse them. If someone really expresses a deep desire to see, show them at an appropriate time/place and educate them.

A singh once told me the following:

Bhai Sahib Bhai Jeevan Singh jee was in UK. During one of the evening samagams, Bhai Sahib jee bumped into a Mona on his way out of the Deevaan Hall. The mona had no clue who Bhai sahib were and looked a bit irritated. Bhai Sahib on the other hand smiled his beautiful smile, held the Mona's hand, and said, "Pyareo, Main Taan Tuhaanoo Hee Milan Aiyaa See". Bhai Sahib then took off his dastaar, and lovingly tied it around the monas head and said fateh to him.

The Mona was Dumbfounded at this move. For Bhai Jeevan Singh Jee to make such a move, and to see no results, impossible. The mona soon, took khande dee pahul, became a singh, Daas was even told his name, but sadly, I cannot recall it at this time.

The point isn't, we should go around copying Bhai Sahib. The point is, learn the deeper message from Bhai Sahib's doing.
I don't see how it would be wrong in any way. You are just teaching. Just keep you're kakaars with you at all times, that's all that matters.
WJKK WJKF

Upkaar Singh Jeeo, many thanks for sharing Bhai Jeevan Singh Jee's example, beautiful indeed.

Jaspreet Singh jee you mention

"'ns' jio! Thank you for your kind comments ji! I can not express the level of gratitude towards you right now. This is why we need amazing, siaane, sincere, ChardiKala Singhs/Singhnis here such as you to educate us about Gurmat, so we can have clear understanding about Sikhi. Thank you, please do accept a humble request; what did you actually mean by I am narrow minded in my views about Khalsa Rehit? May you please kindly expand on that, sorry I am a moorakh, blind, I don't know what you mean!

Veer jeeo you don't need to apologize for forgiveness, and I am no siana, chardi kala singh as you mention, but one thing we do know from Sikh history and our purrattan Gursikhs- they were such visionaries that they never stopped learning about themselves and teaching others too. Present day we are in the western world, surely Maharaj has done mahan kirpa on us to be here, so isn't it our duty to educate all the people in these countries about ourselves with pyar??? If we don't then we how do we evolve because if we don't evolve we will be a failure. What you don't understand that everthing evolves and changes over time, therefore we need to otherwise how shall or will Khalsa rule in times to come?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login