when taking degh to the darbar
sahib.

Why do they do this?

Vaheguroojeekakhalsa
Vaheguroojeekeefateh
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Sprinkle water !
January 14, 2011 04:44PM
it's kind of like a cleansing thing they do, i think. it's better to just wash the place with a hose and hose it down before bringing maharaj in your home.
January 15, 2011 11:30AM
I think to show more respect to guru sahib.
For example if you are wearing socks to gurduara you should
Wash your feets before coming in the darbar.

Daas,
Khalsaji.
January 15, 2011 03:12PM
They sprinkle water to make the area where guru sahib is going through pavitre

daas,
Guptkhalsa
January 16, 2011 06:56AM
But does that realy make the path pavitar
or has it jus become a ritual ?
January 16, 2011 08:38AM
Hum Kookar Jee

Even if it doesnt actuallly make the path clean. its a sign of respect and superioty of guru jee.
January 16, 2011 09:33AM
I understand thank you jee
January 16, 2011 01:21PM
Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsaa Vaheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!

Forgive me, but I still dont understand how this practice shows the superiority of Guru Mahraaj. I understand the practical and thus respectful reasons for doing this in certain conditions, but how does sprinkling a little bit of water in front of Guru Mahraaj make anything pavitar? I agree with 'Leafy' jee's suggestion because it is logical.

Please can everyone give their opinions, I have seen chardikalaa Gursikhs both approve this practice and condemn it, leaving me very confused confused smiley
January 16, 2011 01:54PM
Leafy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> it's kind of like a cleansing thing they do, i
> think. it's better to just wash the place with a
> hose and hose it down before bringing maharaj in
> your home.

This is an interesting thought, anytime Guru Sahib Sahib is brought to someones home it would be most respectfully to fully clean the area. Cleaning the driveway and porch with a hose would be the best way to do this.
January 16, 2011 02:07PM
I know that it shows respect to guru sahib.

Guru sahib knows the rest.

Daas,
Khalsaji.
January 16, 2011 02:17PM
From what I know, in the puratan days, Singhs would first wash the whole place with milk, including the walls and ceiling before bringing in Guru Maharaj's Svaari/Saroop. But this is not the case any longer.
January 17, 2011 12:46PM
VaheguruJiKaKhalsa,, VaheguruJiKiFateh...

Gursikho, The Reason Why They Did This, Sprinkle Water On The Ground, Because In the Puratan Days When They Used To Bring Or Take Maharajh's Sroop To Someone House, On The Journey There They Used To Walk There Because There Was No Cars.. So They Used To Sprinkle Water On the Ground So That When The Sangat Walked The Sand/Dust Dose Not Go On Top Of Maharajh's Sroop..
If You Get What I Mean.. Because In The Puratan Days The Roads Where Not Concrete Like They Are Now..

And Now Days They Sprinkle It On Carpets ?? I Do Not See the Understanding In That..? Please Enlightened Me Gurmukho

Because, Everything Is So Advanced.. Guru Sahib Has Given People Brains To Invent Things Like Hoovers So That They Can Make The Place Clean For Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji To Be Parkash..

VaheguruJiKaKhalsa,, VaheguruJiKiFateh...

Bull Chuk Maff Karni ..
'Hum Murr Papi Jit Lag Tara'

Daas Amanjot Singh
January 17, 2011 05:08PM
VAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA, VAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

There is a lot of power in symbolism beyond mere practicality. Where Guru Sahib is Parkash, there is a canopy. The canopy's original intent was to protect whatever/whomever was underneath from the elements and was a status symbol of someone important/royalty. The chaur was originally a fan/fly whisk, used to fan and keep the flies away - one who had an attendant doing this was obviously someone with great power. The throne elevates whoever/whatever is on it from everyone else, granting it status above that which is common. Such symbolism was present for royalty or persons of great importance prior to Guru Sahib being sent to this world. So the Chaur Sahib, The Chandoa Sahib and the Takht Sahib have become the triumvirate insignia of royalty present in the Gurudwara. In fact, the court of the King of Kings is even referred to Darbar Sahib, or the King's (of Kings) Court. Though the practical, utalitarian functions of the three symbols of royalty present wherever Guru Sahib is may not be necassary anymore (enclosed buildings with climate control, pest control, electric fans), their symbolism and the status that they imply are of prime importance. Such symbolism is not lost even on politicians in the present day - when presidents and prime ministers speak from an elevated platform and have a podium with their official seal, the inherent symbolism grants them a status above and beyond the common man/woman.

Similarly, sprinkling of water, playing of bells/horns and other rites when transporting Guru Sahib are the means of broadcasting that royalty is proceeding down a path. Consider that the road around Buskingham Palace is red, denoting that the road used by the worldly royals is to be given a unique status from other roads. Sprinkling of water/washing the path/sweeping the path designates that that which is to traverse the said path is of great importance, even if the utalitarian action of washing/sweeping itself may not be as vital as it was in the past. The symbolism implies the royal status and what is more royal than Guru Sahib? The use of milk and water was (and is) that they possess the power to purify and wash the area on which they are used. They purify the way for whatever/whoever is to proceed over it, as their very feet deserve the utmost in purity and cleanliness. So water is used (and is can be used to wash the path, but has commonly been relegated to the symbolic use that the way is being made pure as that which is to follow in the path of the water is also pure and of high status) in its symbolic capacity (though again, it can and is used for its utilitarian purpose as well. I witnessed a Nagar Keertan in which the Sangatan had obtained a water truck, watered the road and had Sangatan sweep the entire route of the Nagar Keertan after the water truck passed - 6 miles - for Guru Sahib and the Sadh Sangat. Vah! Dhan Tere GurSikh!).

So symbolism is very vital in establishing and making it apparent that Guru Sahib is of the highest royalty. They are the visual indicators of royalty to the rest of the world and the means by which all can provide the minimal respect that is accorded to Guru Sahib (the supreme respect being to ensure the symbolism exists and is provided for to the best means possible, but to also read, understand and follow what Gurbani says - that is the highest form of respect. Otherwise, we are like the children who put expensive blankets on our elders, but never talk to them or follow their advice).

Bhul Chuk Maaf.
January 17, 2011 07:37PM
nicely put ms514 jeeo
January 17, 2011 09:39PM
VAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA, VAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

I will temper my post with this after some thought: though the symbolism is of prime imortance, their utalitarian functions still do remain intact to this day. I remember attending a house program in the farms. The flies were numerous and the Chaur Sahib befitted the utilitarian function of being a fly whisk very admirably. Chandoa Sahib would befit its role most suitably in the extreme heat if Parkash was done outside (that picture of the Sikh soldiers doing open Parkash in the desert during wartimes comes to mind). The Takht Posh's and Manji Sahib role in establishing prominence over the common man and crowd is already both utalitarian and symbolic, the Manji Sahib being the Aasan of Guru Sahib and also the means by which Guru Sahib gives Gurbani Darshan through the Granthi/Paathi Sikh during Paath/Hukamnama seva.

If I implied that any utilitarian functionality has been lost, I apologize, as such as indeed been retained, though maybe to not as prominent role as in the past (and may factor in more prominent in the future if the Khalsa becomes more nomadic due to conditions once more).
January 19, 2011 11:20AM
Water was sprinkled to stop dust from roads going on Guru maharaj as gursikhs went from place to place. If you have an element of dust on the pathway, then fine use water. If not then it becomes a meaningless ritual. The same with sprinkling water before degh.

The key is satkaar and cleanliness.

In the West where we do not have dusty roads, there is little need for it. Instead, sangat should ensure that houses and rooms are cleaned properly top to bottom, with all furniture removed, cleaned and put back. That kind of satkaar means much more than sprinkling water from a glass.
January 19, 2011 03:46PM
The biggest satkaar for Guru sahib is obeying Gurujis hukam.
January 20, 2011 08:06AM
"Aalas Moorakh" jee, absolutely wonderful. You have summed it up. Shabash. 100% true. This is the real respect for Guru Jee. What is the point of all these outward customs if we do not even follow what written inside Gurbani?

Many people are great and fancy in their outward shows of respect of Maharaaj Jee but the real respect and fear is that of the hukams in Gurbani, Rehitnamas, and writings of Gursikhs like Bhai Sahibs Gurdaas Jee, Nand Laal Singh Jee, Randheer Singh Jee etc and following them to the full. The Gursikh who does this automatically shows adequate outward respect at the same time,
January 27, 2011 09:39AM
That is excellant explanation by ms514 Veer Ji. The point is often raised, by many of us. The sprinkling, in a subtle way, also serves the purpose of making the way in the crowd or alarming the Sangat around that Guru Sahib is coming over the place.
January 27, 2011 02:14PM

Many people are great and fancy in their outward shows of respect of Maharaaj Jee but the real respect and fear is that of the hukams in Gurbani, Rehitnamas, and writings of Gursikhs like Bhai Sahibs Gurdaas Jee, Nand Laal Singh Jee, Randheer Singh Jee etc and following them to the full. The Gursikh who does this automatically shows adequate outward respect at the same time,

Jaskirat Singh ji basically summed it up. smiling smiley
Couldn't agree more.
February 17, 2011 01:01PM
I saw this picture from Gurdwara Tapoban Sahib - [picasaweb.google.com]

They are sprinkling water infront of degh. I personally always thought that doing this was not necessary. Recently we had to do seva of taking Guru Sahib's saroop to someone's house for Sukhmani Sahib path and some people objected that we didn't sprinkle water. I had washed the outside walk way with the water hose and told them sprinkling water would not have made the ground cleaner.

At the same time, I have seen pictures/videos from Punjab smagams where they don't sprinkle water.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login