ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

gursikhi

Posted by goodluck 
gursikhi
December 27, 2010 02:37AM
Iam trying to be a sikhi need some guidance from the sangat .I have kept unshorn hair .
Now what steps should i take further before taking amrit as i should not default in front of my guru .
and is it necessary to wash your head daily if yes hot water or cold water is good fr kesh and during winters
after taking a bath should we do paath wit open kesh as it will not dry quickly this is because iam allergic using a hair dryer

Sangat please guide your brother really wants to be a true sikh
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: gursikhi
December 27, 2010 02:55PM
goodluck jee, first congratulations to you for walking on Sikhi path! Shabash. Getting prepared for taking Amrit is very important.

Below is as per sangat of Gursikhs and posts on this forum:

1. Desist from comitting 4 Bujjar Kurehits (beadbi of Kesh head-to-toe; adultery/fornication; eating of meat, eggs, fish; intoxication, by tobacco, alcohol, drugs etc) further things to do are read Saakhis about Guru Sahibaan, inspirational Gursikhs, and books of Gursikhs like Bhai Sahib Randheer Singh Jee, Bhai Rama Singh Jee, Baba Harnaam Singh Jee. A lot of great stuff to read you can find in Gurmat Literature section of this site. Other things you could do, is listening to Kirtan, doing Seva at local Gurdwara Sahib, 7 Bani Nitnem Paath (and more), sangat with local Rehitvaan Gursikhs, and of course Ardaas. When you feel ready, and are doing the aforementioned things, you can also begin to keep 5 Kakkars of Kach, KaRa, Kirpan, Kangha, Keski on the body. This article would also be worth reading: [gurmatbibek.com]

2. Daily keshi ishnaan is essential and required for all Sikhs. Please read these threads for more: [gurmatbibek.com] and [gurmatbibek.com]

3. Cold water is required for ishnaan, as per the Rehat:

ਠੰਡੇ ਪਾਣੀ ਜੋ ਨਹਿ ਨ੍ਹਾਵੈ ਬਿਨ ਜਪ ਪੜ੍ਹੇ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦ ਜੁ ਖਾਵੈ ||
t(h)a(n)ddae paanee jo nehi nhaavai bin jap parrhae prasaadh j khaavai ||
Those who do not take their morning bath in cold water and those who eat before their Nitnem infringe the Rehat.

More in this thread

4. To hare the Kesh (aerify/rejuvenate the hair, the Gursikhs don't say "dry" hair rather Kesh are done hare, which I learnt from Bhai MB Singh Jee, thanks to Bhai Sahib smiling smiley) usually Gursikhs do Naam Abhiyaas with Kesh left open and backwards overhead so they can become hare. So that gives plenty of time for Kesh to become hare. If you have Nitnem memorised (kanTh) you can do Paath without hesitiation with Kesh left open and not in Dastaar, however if using Gutka Sahib, we must oil, comb, and tie Kesh into Dastaar before handling Gutka Sahib. Very good that you are allergic to hair dryer, no rehitvaan Singhs I know use them. They are damaging to Kesh and should not be used.

I hope that answers your queries, and I do be forgiveness for all mistakes.
December 29, 2010 02:13AM
Thank you Khalsa Ji for your response and inspiration dass wants to be in company with gursikhs like u .

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh
January 01, 2011 11:27AM
it is very good to here that you are on the right path good luck jee.keep it up!!!!!!

I think the first thing you should be doing is read bhai sahib bhai randhir singh jee's books so you can get some knowledge about sikhi.
guru sahib knows the rest.

daas,
khalsaji.
January 01, 2011 11:39AM
shabashthumbs up just keep up your interest in sikhi and the rest will be done by vaheguru.

daas,
guptkhalsa.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login