ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rehit Bibek - Saliant Features - Part 2

Posted by Kulbir Singh 
This is the continuation of the Rehit Bibek topic. To see the previous posts, please refer to this link:

[gurmatbibek.com]

The above thread got off-topic and as such new posts related to Rehit Bibek will be posted here.

Gurmat Ishnaan includes Kesh Ishnaan at Amritvela

Original Text: ਕਈ ਸੱਜਣ ਇਹ ਸਵਾਲ ਉਠਾਉਂਦੇ ਹਨ ਕਿ ਭਲਾ ਜੀ ਸਰੀਰ ਦਾ ਇਸ਼ਨਾਨ-ਨੇਮ ਤਾਂ ਹੋਇਆ ਕੀ ਸਕੇਸ਼ ਇਸ਼ਨਾਨ ਦੇ ਨਿਯਮ ਪੂਰਬਕ ਨਿਭਾਉਣ ਦਾ ਭੀ ਹੁਕਮ ਹੈ? ਇਸ਼ਨਾਨ ਦਾ ਸਿਧਾ ਪਧਰਾ ਸਪੱਸ਼ਟ ਉਤਰ ਤਾਂ ਇਹ ਹੈ ਕਿ ਜਦ ਸਰੀਰਕ ਇਸ਼ਨਾਨ ਦਾ ਹੁਕਮ ਹੋਣਾ ਮੰਨਿਆ ਗਇਆ ਤਾਂ ਸਕੇਸ਼ ਇਸ਼ਨਾਨ ਤਾਂ ਆਪੇ ਸਿਧ ਹੋ ਗਿਆ, ਕਿਉਂਕਿ ਸਰੀਰ ਦਾ ਸ਼ਿਰੋਮਣੀ ਹਿੱਸਾ ਤਾਂ ਸੀਸ ਹੀ ਹੈ। ਜਦ ਸੀਸ ਦਾ ਇਸ਼ਨਾਨ ਨਾ ਹੋਇਆ ਤਾਂ ਸਰੀਰਕ ਇਸ਼ਨਾਨ ਅਧੂਰਾ ਹੈ। ਪੂਰਾ ਇਸ਼ਨਾਨ ਸੀਸ ਦੇ ਇਸ਼ਨਾਨ ਸੰਜੁਕਤ ਹੈ। ਜਦ ਸੀਸ ਇਸ਼ਨਾਨ ਬਿਨਾਂ ਪੂਰਾ ਇਸ਼ਨਾਨ ਬਣਦਾ ਹੀ ਨਹੀਂ ਤਾਂ ਸੀਸ ਦਾ ਇਸ਼ਨਾਨ ਪਰਮ ਜ਼ਰੂਰੀ ਇਸ਼ਨਾਨ ਹੈ। ਗੁਰਮਤਿ ਬਿਬੇਕ, ਪੰਨਾ 104-105

Humble Translation: Some friends raise the question that they agree with the the principle of Ishnaan (bathing) of the body but is there a Hukam to do regular body Ishnaan including the Kesh? The straightforward answer to the question of Ishnaan is that when the existence of bodily Ishnaan has been agreed, then full body Ishnaan including the Kesh (head) automatically is proven because the supreme part of the body is the head. If the Ishnaan of the head is not done, then the bodily Ishnaan is incomplete. Complete Ishnaan is including the head. Since, without the Ishnaan of the head, Ishnaan is not considered to be complete, therefore, the Ishnaan of the head is extremely important.

Vichaar: Bhai Sahib has strongly come out in support of full body Ishnaan, including the hair and head. The clear Gurmat Hukam is to do body Ishnaan at Amritvela and the head including the hair is the supreme part of the body. How can one leave out the head when doing Ishnaan and consider such Ishnaan complete? Today some leave out the head and do Ishnaan without it. Tomorrow someone may leave out the legs and consider such incomplete bathing as complete Ishnaan. Where will this weakness stop? The bottom-line is that full body Ishnaan while doing Simran or Gurbani Paath is Gurmat Ishnaan.

Some Sajjans raise the question that if they do Keshi Ishnaan, their hair remain wet. The answer to this question is that if we get up 3.75 hours before sunrise and engage in at least 2 to 3 hours of Abhyaas, we can easily dry our hair, if we leave them open while doing Abhyaas. Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee has written about this and this will be covered in the coming days. But if the Abhyaas is to be done in the Hazoori of Siri Guru Granth Sahib jee, then it’s not appropriate to leave the hair open. In such case, Bhai Sahib has written that if one lets air run through the hair for small amount of time and tie Khaddar Dumaala, then with the heat of wool and Abhyaas, the hair become dry. In any case, whatever the difficulty, we must do Keshi Ishnaan at Amritvela. The Gurmat Bibek of doing Keshi Ishnaan cannot be sacrificed for worldly difficulties.

Bhul chuk dee Maafi jee.

Kulbir Singh
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Wonderful! Nothing can replace full body ishnan including keshi ishnan at amritvela. Just to add on a light note, I learnt something very valuable in India with Singhs.

There was a younger Singh in the group who was a little hesitant to do keshi ishnan one morning. An older Singh infront of everyone asked him, "Are you a dog?"

I learnt a new term that day, "kutha ishnan". Vaaheguru! The Bhai sahib explained that "Gurmat ishnan" at amritvela includes ishnan of the whole body and sodh of kakkars. If you see a dog in water or having a bath, they won't allow their head to get wet or washed. He explained that Singhs call ishnan done without keshi ishnan "kutha ishnan".
I hope this is taken lightly and doesn't offend any gursikhs here smiling smiley
At almost all Amrit Sanchaars of the Akhand Keertani Jatha, the Panj Piyaare instruct the abhilakhees that daily keshi ishnaan is mandatory. I still remember one Singh (a friend) telling me right after my Amrit Sanchar about it when we were discussing, and he said that keshi ishnaan has to be done by making the kesh fully soaking wet, not just splashing water on them.
ਭਾਈ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਜੋਗਿੰਦਰ ਸਿੰਘ ਜੀ ਤਲਵਾੜਾ ਆਖਦੇ ਸਨ ਕਿ ਬਿਨਾਂ ਕੇਸਾਂ ਦੇ ਕੀਤਾ ਇਸ਼ਨਾਨ ਕੁੱਤਾ ਇਸ਼ਨਾਨ ਹੀ ਅਖਵਾਂਉਦਾ ਹੈ। ਜਦੋਂ ਪੁੱਛਿਆ ਗਿਆ ਜੀ ਉਹ ਕਿਵੇਂ ਤਾਂ ਭਾਈ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਦਾ ਜਵਾਬ ਸੀ ਬਈ ਜਿਵੇ ਇਹ ਕੁੱਤੇ ਦੀ ਆਦਤ ਬਣੀ ਹੋਈ ਹੁੰਦੀ ਹੈ ਕਿ ਉਹ ਆਪਣਾ ਸਿਰ ਕਦੀ ਗਿੱਲਾ ਨਹੀ ਹੋਣ ਦਿੰਦਾ ਸਰੀਰ ਭਾਵੇ ਸਾਰਾ ਦਾ ਸਾਰਾ ਪਾਣੀ ਨਾਲ ਗੜੁੱਚ ਹੋ ਜਾਵੇ।

ਭਾਈ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਜੀ ਦੀ ਸਮਝਾਈ ਇਹ ਬੁਝਾਰਤ ਬੜੀ ਦੂਰ ਤਾਂਈ ਬਾਤ ਸਮਝਾਉਦੀ ਹੈ। ਬਸ ਓਵੇਂ ਦੀ ਹੀ ਸਾਡੇ ਸਿੱਖਾਂ ਵਿਚ ਵੀ ਕਈਆ ਦੀ ਬਿਰਤੀ ਬਣੀ ਹੋਈ ਹੈ ਕਿ ਸਵੇਰੇ ਇਸ਼ਨਾਨ ਕਰਨ ਸਮੇਂ ਕੇਸਾਂ ਤੇ ਜਲ ਨਹੀਂ ਪੈਣ ਦੇਣਾ ਭਾਂਵੇ ਪਸੀਨੇ ਨਾਲ ਬਦਬੂ ਹੀ ਮਾਰਦੇ ਹੋਵਣ। ਹੁਣ ਕੇਸਾਂ ਨੂੰ ਬਦਬੂਦਾਰ ਰੱਖਣ ਨਾਲ ਸਿੱਖੀ ਦੀ ਕਿਹੜੀ ਰਹਿਤ ਪੂਰੀ ਹੁੰਦੀ ਹੈ ਇਹ ਤਾਂ ਉਹੀ ਸਿੱਖ ਦੱਸ ਸਕਦੇ ਹਨ ਜਿਹੜੇ ਇਸਦੇ ਹਾਮੀ ਹਨ ਪਰ ਇਕ ਗੱਲ ਜਰੂਰ ਦਰਸਾ ਦਿੰਦੇ ਹਨ ਕਿ ਉਹ ਆਪਣੇ ਗੁਰੂ ਪ੍ਰਤੀ ਕਿੰਨੀ ਕੂ ਸ਼ਰਧਾ ਰੱਖਦੇ ਹਨ ਕਿਉਂਕਿ ਦਸਮ ਪਾਤਸ਼ਾਹ ਦਾ ਤਾਂ ਹੁਕਮ ਹੈ ਕਿ ਕੇਸਾਂ ਦਾ ਗੁਰੂ ਸਮਾਨ ਸਤਿਕਾਰ ਕਰਨਾ ਹੈ ਤੇ ਅਸੀਂ ਹਾਂ ਕਿ ਆਪਣੀ ਢਿੱਲੜ ਬਿਰਤੀ ਕਾਰਨ ਗੁਰੂ ਦੇ ਹੁਕਮ ਕਮਾਉਣ ਹਾਰਿਆ ਨੂੰ ਵੀ ਨਹੀਂ ਬਖਸ਼ਦੇ।
Bilkul theek furmaya Bhai Jasjit Singh jee. Tuhadde saareyaan kaaran meri Punjabi reading vi fast hoi jandi aa. Ode lei bohot bohot thank you atey dhannvaad hai jee. I didn’t know Maharaj said to do satkaar of kesh like Guru. Thanks again for enlightening. I have even met Singhs who never put their feet on that side of the bed where they have their head when lying down, again done out of satkaar for kesh. In one katha of Gyani Thakur Singh jee, he said that Dasam Pita is so full of love, that if He sees ki mera Sikh dinn ch 2 vaar kangha karda, te oh ode naal hee bohot khush ho jande ne.
Haha Vaheguru, I have heard the same being said from Singhs in India that Amritvela jee has posted.

I would also like to make a few points:

1. The material that Bhai Sahib has mentioned for tying wet Kesh in, is Khaddar. This is a wonderful type of heavy weight thick hand made, hand spun cotton that is quite difficult to purchase even in India nowadays, and even then it comes only in natural white/beige colour so one must get it dyed after. It is best to contact a bajurg relative to see if anyone they knew still has a khaddi (loom which it is made on) so that one can purchase some. It is quite magical in that wet Kesh dry automatically in it and there is no sticky icky feeling that one might get with other machine made materials, your head will never feel cold or hot, just right. It also has the property of being very easy to wash, clean, and dry. Khaddar was strongly associated with the Akaali movement in the early days, and many Singhs would not wear any foreign made clothing materials.

2. The correct method to do Ishnaan in a Sarovar, is not with dastaar tied but with nanga sir (bareheaded, Kesh opened not in jooRa). This is so that the Amrit water of the Sarovar can get all over the head and in the Kesh. To do this one can hold Kakkars in one hand extended above the head and fully submerse body and head in the Sarovar. Bhai Sahib has also written that everyone agrees that having a Keshi Ishnaan is a prerequisite for Amrit Sanchaar, so how can it not be the requirement to do it daily? If it wasn't important, than why should it be done before Amrit Sanchaar?

3. When the Kesh are open, one should not lie down or prepare/eat any food. I think there is rehatnamas that support this as well. Also one should not do any bachans (speak) except Naam Abhiyaas and Paath (from memory only, if using Gutka Sahib, Dastaar should be tied) or wear any joRe (footwear). These points I have heard from the Singhs.

4. We show and have the same level of respect for Kesh, Gurbani, and Shastars.

5. If there is some one who wishes to start taking daily keshi ishnaan but maybe not sure how, here is the way that most Singhs I know conduct it in:

i) Take body ishnaan (balti or shower method) with Kirpan tied to Keski on head
ii) Change into fresh Kacherra (one leg out, one leg in method) and dry off
iii) Put on some fresh clothes and place Kirpan into correct position
iv) Take separate dedicated cloth that will serve as Keski and tie around waist in method of a KammarKassa (waistband)
v) Untie Keski from head, put in separate place, and then put Kanga into KammarKassa
vi) Lean over bathtub/shower and wash Kesh thoroughly.

Also a point to make, is that normally the Gursikhs keep all the clothes (including Dastaar) that are worn for using lavatory facilities and doing ishnaan separate and these will not be worn after ishnaan has been fully completed but rather fresh clean clothes will be worn.

Maybe there is something else I forgot as well, will also post if remembered.

I do beg forgiveness for all mistakes

1. The material that Bhai Sahib has mentioned for tying wet Kesh in, is Khaddar.

Thanks for clarifying this, Jaskirat Singh jeeo. I erroneously wrote "Woollen" Dumaala. The mistake has been corrected.

Kulbir Singh
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Regarding the point about the correct method to do Ishnaan in a Sarovar, I have a few doubts:

I have seen singhs in India (everyone I have seen) do Keshi Ishnan in Sarovar with thier keski on the head.
Also, if one takes a dip inside the sarovar with the small keski tied, even then all the Amirt water goes through the keski, into the kesh.

Could somebody please shed some more light on this?
Becasue, if getting Amrit water all over the kesh in the only concern why sarovar Ishnan should be done bare headed, then I don't see that to be too much of a concern as with a small keski, one can achieve the same effect. I am not sure if there are other reasons why one should be doing it bareheaded. I might be missing something.

I am a little confused about this, so could some please shed more light on this so that I could get rid of my confusion?
Tejasv jee, I think that Bhai Sahib has written about this on page 117 of Gurmat Bibek book (I do not have book at this time to check). Dastaar or Keski do not need to be tied when having Ishnaan in Sarovar, rather Kesh should be left open and untied. Rest, maybe Bhai Kulbir Singh Jee can share more?
Yes, Bhai Sahib has written about this in Gurmat Bibek, where he confirms that the Maryada to do Ishnaan at Sarovar is with uncovered hair and this must have been true for those times. Subsequently, it seems like, the policy has been changed and now they don't allow bare head Ishnaan. This has been mentioned on page 115 of Gurmat Bibek. As the matter of fact, it is mandatory to remove Dastara and Keski when doing Ishnaan at the Sarovar of Siri Amritsar Sahib. How the Maryada got changed is beyond understanding.

Daas will post the exact extract soon.

Kulbir Singh
Thank you for confirming Bhai Sahib smiling smiley Yes unfortunately, sometimes, if a Gursikh does wish to do the correct method of Sarovar Ishnaan, they can get stopped by SGPC employees (not their fault, they are acting on orders). However, most of the time they will turn a blind eye.

Tejasv jee, if we also think logically, at Amrit Sanchaar the Keski is tucked away to the side so that top of head is fully exposed clearly so that Amrit can be put properly into the Kesh, on the head and Dasam Duar. Also, when we take daily Keshi Ishnaan we do do so with Kesh fully opened and not with Keski tied so that we can do Ishnaan properly, so it would make sense to do the same at a Sarovar. Full exposure to the Amrit water of all the Kesh and head is not possible with Keski tied.

Another point I wish to make is, is that nowadays, it seems that doing ishnaan in a Sarovar is a mere formality or even a ritual for some people and we do not take it fully seriously, some of us are content just with doing a little dip of hands, feet, and face and splashing some water over the head. If we really took the command of pangtees like "ramdaas sarovar nate, sabh utre paap kamate" upon our head, surely we would make the full effort to do proper Gurmat Ishnaan in Sarovar. Bhai Sahib has written that those who are able to daily ishnaan of Sarovar are very blessed, but at the same time, for all of us who are not able to, we can get the benefit of doing so by doing proper daily Gurmat Ishnaan while doing Paath. Puratan Singhs would sing shabads like uTh ishnaan simar prabh apna, ramdaas sarovar nate sabh utre paap kamate, Sri Basant Kee Vaar, and gur satgur kaa jo sikh aakhae while doing daily Ishaan and thereby clean their minds at the same time as bodies and therefore obtain the spiritual benefit of having Ishnaan at a Sarovar.
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Thank you for the clarification Bhai Jaskirat Singh Ji

I have one more question. Could you please provide reason/rehitnama behind not lying down when the kesh are open.
I mean if once uses a clean pillow and makes sure that the kesh do not touch the ground and are carefully kept, what would be the harm in resting while the kesh get hare (dry up)?
Thanks are yours Tejasv jeeo. Please accept my apologies that I cannot provide the rehatnama for this, but I have been told by Singhs there is one. Perhaps the reasoning is that a Gursikh cannot rest or take food until the Kesh are properly taken care of i.e. oiled, combed, and tied in Dastaar.

Maybe a solution would be to tie up Kesh very loosely in bunga of Khaddar Dastaar and then go off to sleep.

Thanks are yours Tejasv jeeo. Please accept my apologies that I cannot provide the rehatnama for this, but I have been told by Singhs there is one. Perhaps the reasoning is that a Gursikh cannot rest or take food until the Kesh are properly taken care of i.e. oiled, combed, and tied in Dastaar.

When eating food, definitely one can't leave hair open and Keski must be tied at that time but I have not heard that one can't casually rest while the hair are getting dried. If there is a reference in Bhai Sahib's book, please show it Jaskirat Singh jeeo.

Kulbir Singh
Jeeo, as far as I know, Bhai Sahib has not written anywhere that one cannot lie down with Kesh opened. However, I have got this idea in my head from somewhere, but I cannot recall where at this time.

Note: It is possible I got this from the Taksal Rehat Maryada book, which states "Lying down with your Kesh uncovered or partaking in any action with your Kesh uncovered is strictly forbidden. You are not to enter a dusty, dirty place with your Kesh uncovered." This book is based on Gyani Gurbachan Singh Jee's works of Gurbani Paath Darpan and Khalsa Jeevan, so maybe Gyani Jee has written in those books somewhere about this as well, but I don't have those books to check.

Once again, please accept my apologies that I cannot provide full clarification on this issue, but I still thought it relevant to mention.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login