ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Animals and meat

Posted by Damandeep Singh 
Animals and meat
December 23, 2010 02:17PM
Don't know if it has been discussed over here, but my question is:

1.) What about animals that have a diet of only meat. For example eagles or other sorts of animals. What if Gursikhs have these kind of flesh-eating animals- how should one feed them.

2.) Did Sri Guru Ji feed his eagle with meat aswell.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Animals and meat
December 23, 2010 10:43PM
Pets need to be feed accordingly to what their diets are. Animals are not humans neither are they sikhs. Neither would it fair to deprive them of their natural diets, doing that would be a disservice.
December 24, 2010 07:10AM
Veer Ji,

I have 2 dogs, one is a 3 year old poodle mix the other is 10 month old Boxer. We feed them a meat based dry kibble (small biscuits) although we do feed them some roti and yoghurt as well. Essentially they are predators and require a high protein diet. It would be unfair to expect them to follow my diet of roti and daal. Vaheguru made all his creatures and has provided specific food for them all. We as humans have plenty of sources of nutrition and don't require meat in our diets but many animals are created as predators and seek to eat other animals. For them it's all about survival.............Vaheguru Ji.
December 24, 2010 09:44AM
actually, dogs are not obligate carnivores (they do not require meat to survive) and they can be quite healthy on a veg diet. my dog eats vegan kibble and she's fine. there are several vegan and vegetarian dog formulas on the market.

that said, there are animals who must eat meat. cats are one, clearly predatory birds are another. i'm not sure how one would handle their feeding except to keep their food outside of the house. if one has guru sahib present in the house, meat should not be allowed on the premises, animals or no.
December 24, 2010 10:18AM
That's the thing. I think it's fine with feeding meals to those who can't survive without meat. Dogs don't belong to this category.
Think my doubt has been cleared up.

Thank you.
December 24, 2010 12:53PM
ugh why can't you have Maharajs saroop at home if you have a dog? That makes no sense.
December 24, 2010 08:18PM
bhenjee, no one says you can't have a dog if you have guru sahib's saroop at home. my only concern was keeping meat inside the house. but you can feed a dog a veggie diet, or you can feed them outside. there's lots of options. smiling smiley
December 25, 2010 12:06AM
dogs lick anything that comes there way and make it jhoota.

hence it is SUGGESTED and RECOMMENDED that we either keep a dog or a guroo sahibs saroop, not both.

what does "ugh" have to do with this ?
December 25, 2010 10:15AM
During my visit to the Punjab this year, my cousin's dog, who was a 2 month old German Shepard, was fed roti with dahi(yogurt), and the dog was fine with that. Sometimes the dog was given sabzis like "Chole". And the dog was fine with that too. I dont think it is much of a big deal.

Secondly, theres a level of respect when it comes to taking care of Guru Maharaj ji's Saroop.
Water and oil can not mix.
You either keep a dog with you, or u keep Guru Maharaj ji's Saroop. The choice is yours.
Personally i think the second choice is much better.
December 25, 2010 10:16AM
babies also lick everything and put everything in their mouth. that's why we CLEAN our houses. or maybe we shouldn't have babies either? winking smiley

loads of gurmukhs have pets. who is it that "suggests" we not keep pets with guru sahib in the house? we know from history that guru sahib kept animals. guru hargobind sahib used to bring injured animals home and do their seva himself. there's nothing in any rehet maryada about not keeping pets.

(i think this discussion has been done to death previously)
December 25, 2010 12:02PM
LOL i support 1kaurwinking smiley..these people here, ya you guys didn't ever puke on the floor when you were little babies....having a dog and having Guru Maharajs saroop means more work to do around the house believe me, and you would have to put around little fences, more organization around the house.

Sometimes when I am doing path my dog comes and sits right infront of me and just listens and then falls asleep....
December 25, 2010 09:38PM
Upkaar Singh Jee, Guru Gobind Singh Jee also kept animals, then how can we say that a Sikh can only keep Guru Sahib's sroop or the pet. Animals have the same Atma in them that you or me have. Maybe we ourselves were also pets of Gursikhs because of which have have been blessed by Sikhi and human form in this Janam. Compassion/Daya is an integral part of Sikhi. Daya/Compassion is not just for humans but for all jeevs.
December 26, 2010 10:19AM
keodn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Upkaar Singh Jee, Guru Gobind Singh Jee also kept
> animals, then how can we say that a Sikh can only
> keep Guru Sahib's sroop or the pet. Animals have
> the same Atma in them that you or me have. Maybe
> we ourselves were also pets of Gursikhs because of
> which have have been blessed by Sikhi and human
> form in this Janam. Compassion/Daya is an integral
> part of Sikhi. Daya/Compassion is not just for
> humans but for all jeevs.

keodn Jee, very well said......totally agree with your sentiments.

Bilaaval Mahalla 1 Ang 843-844

ਕਿਰਪਾਲੁ ਸਦਾ ਦਇਆਲੁ ਦਾਤਾ ਜੀਆ ਅੰਦਰਿ ਤੂੰ ਜੀਐ

Vaheguru
December 26, 2010 12:09PM
God bless you a trillion times Keodn Jee! smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login