ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Napping during Amrit Vela?

Posted by Sukhdeep Singh 
Napping during Amrit Vela?
December 03, 2010 01:41PM
In the past , I have usually taken a nap during Amrit Vela because the Sun doesnt break untill around 6:30- 7:30 in the West Coast.

I was wondering is it wrong to Nap during Amrit Vela. For example, if someone wakes up around 2 does Paaht/ Naam Abhyiaas untill like 5:30/6 and then takes a nap before going to work. Would this be wrong?

According to Gurmat , we should be doing paaht/naam up until the day starts.

ਉਦਮੁ ਕਰੇ ਭਲਕੇ ਪਰਭਾਤੀ ਇਸਨਾਨੁ ਕਰੇ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਸਰਿ ਨਾਵੈ ॥
ਉਪਦੇਸਿ ਗੁਰੂ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਜਪੁ ਜਾਪੈ ਸਭਿ ਕਿਲਵਿਖ ਪਾਪ ਦੋਖ ਲਹਿ ਜਾਵੈ ॥
ਫਿਰਿ ਚੜੈ ਦਿਵਸੁ ਗੁਰਬਾਣੀ ਗਾਵੈ ਬਹਦਿਆ ਉਠਦਿਆ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਵੈ ॥

Is ones Amrit Vela complete without staying for the full time?
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Napping during Amrit Vela?
December 03, 2010 04:24PM
What happened to cold showers? I thought they keep one awake?
Mehtab Singh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What happened to cold showers? I thought they keep
> one awake?

waheguru
good point Bhai Sahib
Mehtab Singh Wrote:
> What happened to cold showers? I thought they keep
> one awake?

If a person gets full 6 hour sleep then cold showers will do the trick of keeping one alert and awake throughout the day. But if one only gets around 4 hours sleep before Amrit Vela then a cold shower will give you only a couple of hours to stay alert for Naam Abhyiaas/Paath eventually the lack of sleep well take its toll on the body. Ideally, I believe one should get full hours before Amrit Vela, but for whatever reasons sometimes some do not get the full 6 hours before amrit vela. Is there Amrit Vela still complete without the full observation? Meaning observing Amrit Vela from its start around 2, and ending at around 7.

Many people in the West leave to work around 7 this is the time when the Sun usually comes out. I noticed that today the Sun didnt come up untill around 7:15 . So how do such people observe full Amrit Vela and still stay fully committed to their work with an alert mind ? The only solution I know is get up later then 2 which would be a great loss because the earlier the Amrit Vela the better.

I remember Veer Kulbir Singh Ji mentioned how Bhai Randhir Singh has mentioned taking nap after/during (?) Amrit Vela is ok. Can Bhai Sahib quote this saying?
December 03, 2010 07:29PM

I remember Veer Kulbir Singh Ji mentioned how Bhai Randhir Singh has mentioned taking nap after/during (?) Amrit Vela is ok. Can Bhai Sahib quote this saying?
When you know then why ask?
December 03, 2010 08:11PM
he just wants be sure nothing wrong with that
December 03, 2010 08:28PM
LOL

mehtab singh has a point though =P
Im asking because I dont know if the quote says during or after? How are you doing?
December 03, 2010 09:42PM
I tried searching for it but couldn't find it, although I do remember Bhai Kulbir Singh ji mentioned you can sleep after Nitnem. Yes there is no harm asking and I am doing very fine thanks to hot showers. I could be better if they were cold, maybe some day.
December 04, 2010 01:03PM
I think it is mentioned in one of the books of Bhai Jodh Singh that Bhai Sahib used to advise Singhs who go to work to take a nap before going to work. He used to say that Singhs should carry out the duty at work diligently and if proper rest is not taken then one can't work to the best of one's capacity.

The standards of Gursikhi or Gurmat are very high. Gurmat gives us Hukam to do Simran Swaas Swaas and all the time but since we are mortal beings, we are unable to follow this Hukam. I personally believe that if a Gursikh wakes up before 2am, does Gurmat Ishnaan, does Nitnem, Chants Gurmat Naam, and concludes Amritvela with Kirtan and Ardaas; and then takes a nap around 5:30 or 6am, it should be acceptable. Guru Sahib is merciful, Param Kirpaaloo, Param Dyaaloo. As our Avastha increases, Amritvela will become deeper and longer. Guru Sahib kirpa karan.

Kulbir Singh
Thanks for the advice Veer Ji. Hopefully Guru Sahib, well bless all of us with deeper and longer Amrit Vela, and cold showers ( lol Mehtab Singh Veer Ji)
December 04, 2010 08:47PM
aameen! summ'aameen!
haha! grinning smiley
ਪਹਿਲੈ ਪਹਰੈ ਫੁਲੜਾ ਫਲੁ ਭੀ ਪਛਾ ਰਾਤਿ ॥
ਜੋ ਜਾਗੰਨ੍ਹ੍ਹਿ ਲਹੰਨਿ ਸੇ ਸਾਈ ਕੰਨੋ ਦਾਤਿ ॥੧੧੨॥

In the following Salok of Sheik Fareed Ji

doesnt ਪਹਿਲੈ ਪਹਰੈ mean first pehar ( around 6am) meaning first part of the day when the sun comes up, and doesnt
ਪਛਾ ਰਾਤਿ refer to Amrit Vela?

Meaning those that stay up for Amrit Vela up to first pehar get the flower and the fruit?
December 11, 2010 07:12AM
Please correct the following if its wrong, as its only my worthless opinion

ਪਹਿਲੈ ਪਹਰੈ ਫੁਲੜਾ ਫਲੁ ਭੀ ਪਛਾ ਰਾਤਿ ॥
The first watch of the night brings flowers, and the later watches of the night bring fruit.

ਜੋ ਜਾਗੰਨ੍ਹ੍ਹਿ ਲਹੰਨਿ ਸੇ ਸਾਈ ਕੰਨੋ ਦਾਤਿ ॥੧੧੨॥
Those who remain awake and aware, receive the gifts from the Lord. ||112||

From what I can immediately think of, here Bhagat Fareed Jee is describing the difference between the gifts bestowed at the beginning and end of Amritvela. He says the beginning brings flowers, and the later stages bring fruit. Based on my limited understanding, I guess he refers to the fact that when Amritvela starts, it brings spiritual refreshment to a GurSikh rooh, just like the sight or smell of flowers bring refreshing sensation to one's mind. After one has spent Amritvela in Naam Abhiyaas and/or Gurbani uchaaran (i.e. towards the end of Amritvela), one is blessed with bounties and gifts from dargah, which refer to getting "fruits" (results) of doing kamaayee. Next pankti he talks about remaining awake and aware. I would apply this to people like myself who fail at maintaining concentration and feel sleepy and yawn continuously when reciting paath. Again he talks about gifts (same as fruits). So I think the basic idea is - a GurSikh who recites Naam/Gurbani throughout Amritvela and does so with unshaken focus on Shabad is blessed by Vaheguru.

Please forgive and correct any mistakes above
Mehtab Singh Wrote:
> Please correct the following if its wrong, as its
> only my worthless opinion
>
> ਪਹਿਲੈ ਪਹਰੈ ਫੁਲੜਾ
> ਫਲੁ ਭੀ ਪਛਾ ਰਾਤਿ ॥
> The first watch of the night brings flowers, and
> the later watches of the night bring fruit.
>
> ਜੋ ਜਾਗੰਨ੍ਹ੍ਹਿ
> ਲਹੰਨਿ ਸੇ ਸਾਈ ਕੰਨੋ
> ਦਾਤਿ ॥੧੧੨॥
> Those who remain awake and aware, receive the
> gifts from the Lord. ||112||
>
> From what I can immediately think of, here Bhagat
> Fareed Jee is describing the difference between
> the gifts bestowed at the beginning and end of
> Amritvela. He says the beginning brings flowers,
> and the later stages bring fruit. Based on my
> limited understanding, I guess he refers to the
> fact that when Amritvela starts, it brings
> spiritual refreshment to a GurSikh rooh, just like
> the sight or smell of flowers bring refreshing
> sensation to one's mind. After one has spent
> Amritvela in Naam Abhiyaas and/or Gurbani uchaaran
> (i.e. towards the end of Amritvela), one is
> blessed with bounties and gifts from dargah, which
> refer to getting "fruits" (results) of doing
> kamaayee. Next pankti he talks about remaining
> awake and aware. I would apply this to people like
> myself who fail at maintaining concentration and
> feel sleepy and yawn continuously when reciting
> paath. Again he talks about gifts (same as
> fruits). So I think the basic idea is - a GurSikh
> who recites Naam/Gurbani throughout Amritvela and
> does so with unshaken focus on Shabad is blessed
> by Vaheguru.
>
> Please forgive and correct any mistakes above

Thanks for the explanation Veer Ji. I thought ਪਹਿਲੈ ਪਹਰੈ was referring to first watch which I thought was around 6-9 am?
December 11, 2010 05:20PM
ਪਹਿਲੈ ਪਹਰੈ ਫੁਲੜਾ; ਫਲੁ ਭੀ ਪਛਾ ਰਾਿਤ॥ ਸਾਂਈਂ- ਜੋ ਜਾਗੰਿਨ੍ਹ੍ਹ. ਲਹੰਿਨ ਸੇ; ਸਾਈ ਕੰਨੋ ਪਰਮਪੂਜਨੀਕ ਭਗਤ ਫਰੀਦ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਜੀ ਫ਼ੁਰਮਾਉਂਦੇ ਹਨ:- ਰਾਤ ਦੇ ਪਿਹਲੈ (ਪਹਰੈ)ਪਿਹਰ ਬੰਦਗੀ ਕਰਨੀ, (ਫੁਲੜਾ)ਫੱੁਲ ਵਾਂਗ ਪ੍ਰੇਮਾ- ਭਗਤੀ ਦੀ ਖ਼ੁਸ਼ਬੂ ਦਿੰਦੀ ਹੈ, (ਪਛਾ)ਿਪਛਲੀ ਰਾਿਤ ਵੱਡੇ ਤੜਕੇ, ਫਲੁ ਖਾਣ ਵਾਂਗ, ਮਹਾਂ ਵਿਸਮਾਦ ਅਨੰਦ ਫਲੁ ਸਰੂਪ ਹੈ, ਭਾਵ ਰਾਤ ਦੇ ਅਰੰਭ ਤੋਂ ਪਿਹਲੇ ਤੜਕੇ ਸਾਰੀ ਰਾਤ ਹੀ ਸਾਵਧਾਨ ਹੋ ਕੇ, ਪੂਰਨ ਬੰਦਗੀ ਕਰਕੇ ਫੁੱਲ ਸਰੂਪ ਹੈ, ਭਾਵ ਰਾਤ ਦੇ ਅਰੰਭ ਤੋਂ ਪਹਿਲੇ ਪਹਿਰ ਅਤੇ ਵੱਡੇ ਤੜਕੇ ਸਾਰੀ ਰਾਤ ਹੀ ਸਾਵਧਾਨ ਹੋ ਕੇ, ਪੂਰਨ ਬੰਦਗੀ ਕਰਕੇ ਫੁੱਲ ਪ੍ਰਾਪਿਤ ਕਰਨੇ ਚਾਹੀਦੇ ਹਨ।

ਸਾਂਈਂ- ਜੋ ਜਾਗੰਨਿ੍ਹ੍ਹ. ਲਹੰਿਨ ਸੇ; ਸਾਈ ਕੰਨੋ ਦਾਿਤ॥੧੧੨॥) ਇਕੋ ਸਿਤਗੁਰੁ ਜਾਗਤਾ; ਹੋਰੁ ਜਗੁ ਸੂਤਾ. ਮੋਹਿ ਿਪਆਿਸ॥) ਸਿਤਗੁਰੁ ਜਾਗਤਾ ਹੈ ਦੇਉ॥ ਅਨੁਸਾਰ ਸਿਤਗੁਰੂ ਸਾਿਹਬ ਜੀ ਸਦਾ ਜਾਗਦੇ ਹਨ, ਪਰਾਇਆ ਰੂਪ ਦੇਖਣ, ਨਿੰਦਾ ਕਰਨ, ਰਸਨਾ ਦੇ ਿਮੱਠੇ ਤਲ਼ੇ ਸੁਆਦ ਨਸ਼ੇ ਵਰਤਣ, ਮੋਹ ਕਰਨ, ਪਾਪ ਕਰਨ ਰੂਪ ਨੀਂਦ ਤੋਂ, ਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਦੇ ਸਨਮੁਖ, ਜੋ ਗੁਰਸੇਵਕ (ਜਾਗੰਨਿ੍ਹ੍ਹ)ਜਾਗਦੇ ਹਨ, (ਸੇ)ਉਹ (ਸਾਈ)ਗੁਰੂ ਮਹਾਰਾਜ (ਕੰਨੋ)ਪਾਸੋਂ, ਨਾਮ ਸਿਮਰਨ ਬੰਦਗੀ ਰੂਪੀ ਫ਼ੁੱਲ ਫ਼ਲ਼ ਦੀ ਅਮੋਲਕ ਦਾਿਤ (ਲਹੰਿਨ)ਲੈਂਦੇ ਹਨ। ਯਥਾ:- ਗੁਰਮੁਿਖ ਜਾਿਗ ਰਹੇ; ਦਿਨ ਰਾਤੀ॥ ਸਾਚੇ ਕੀ ਿਲਵ; ਗੁਰਮਿਤ ਜਾਤੀ॥) ਗੁਰਮੁਿਖ ਜਾਿਗ ਰਹੇ; ਚੂਕੀ ਅਿਭਮਾਨੀ ਰਾਮ॥ ਅਨਿਦਨੁ ਭੋਰੁ ਭਇਆ; ਸਾਚਿ ਸਮਾਨੀ ਰਾਮ॥ ਸਾਿਚ ਸਮਾਨੀ.ਗੁਰਮੁਿਖ ਮਿਨ ਭਾਨੀ; ਗੁਰਮੁਿਖ ਸਾਬਤੁ ਜਾਗੇ॥ ਸਾਚੁ ਨਾਮੁ ਅੰਮਿ੍ਰਤੁ.ਗੁਿਰ ਦੀਆ; ਹਿਰ ਚਰਨੀ ਿਲਵ ਲਾਗੇ॥ ਪ੍ਰਗਟੀ ਜੋਿਤ.ਜੋਿਤ ਮਿਹ ਜਾਤਾ; ਮਨਮੁਿਖ ਭਰਿਮ ਭੁਲਾਣੀ॥ ਨਾਨਕ.ਭੋਰੁ ਭਇਆ.ਮਨੁ ਮਾਨਿਆ; ਜਾਗਤ ਰੈਿਣ ਿਵਹਾਣੀ॥

ਸਨਮੁਖ ਗੁਰਸੇਵਕ ਜਾਗ ਕੇ, ਗੁਰੂ ਮਹਾਰਾਜ ਪਾਸੋਂ, ਨਾਮ ਸਿਮਰਨ ਬੰਦਗੀ ਦੀ ਅਮੋਲਕ ਦਾਿਤ ਇਉਂ ਪ੍ਰਾਪਿਤ ਕਰਦੇ:- ਸਤਿਗੁਰੂ ਮਹਾਰਾਜ ਮਹੱਲਾ ਪਿਹਲਾ ਸਾਿਹਬ ਜੀ, ਸ੍ਰੀ ਕਰਤਾਰਪੁਰ ਸਾਿਹਬ ਜੀ ਿਵਖੇ ਰਾਤ ƒ ਜਾਗ ਕੇ ਸਿਮਰਨ ਕਰਦੇ, ਿਪਆਰੇ ਗੁਰੂ ਅੰਗਦਦੇਵ ਮਹਾਰਾਜ ਸਾਿਹਬ ਜੀ, ਬਾਬਾ ਬੁੱਢਾ ਸਾਿਹਬ ਜੀ, ਭਾਈ ਸਧਾਰਨ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਜੀ, ਭਾਈ ਭਗੀਰਥ ਸਾਿਹਬ ਜੀ ਆਿਦਕ ਸਨਮੁਖ ਗੁਰਮੁਿਖ ਮਹਾਪੁਰਸ਼ ਮਹਾਰਾਜ ਸਾਿਹਬ ਦੀ ਮੱੁਠੀ- ਚਾਪੀ, ਚੌਰ ਕਰਦਿਆਂ, ਗੁਰੂ ਪ੍ਰਮੇਸਰ ਜੀ ਦੇ ਦਗ਼ ੨ ਕਰਦੇ ਮਹਾਂ ਮਹਾਂ ਿਵਸਮਾਦ ਸੁੰਦਰ ਨੂਰੋ ਨੂਰ ਨੂਰਾਨੀ ਚਿਹਰੇ ƒ ਸਮੂਹ ਪ੍ਰੇਮੀ, ਚੰਦ ਚਕੋਰ ਪਰੀਤ ਹੈ; ਲਾਇ ਤਾਰ ਿਨਹਾਲੇ। ਅਨੁਸਾਰ ਚੰਦ ਚਕੋਰ ਵਾਲੀ ਗੂੜ੍ਹ੍ਹੀ ਚਿਹਰੇ ƒ ਸਮੂਹ ਪ੍ਰੇਮੀ, ਚੰਦ ਚਕੋਰ ਪਰੀਤ ਹੈ; ਲਾਇ ਤਾਰ ਿਨਹਾਲੇ। ਅਨੁਸਾਰ ਚੰਦ ਚਕੋਰ ਵਾਲੀ ਗੂੜ੍ਹ੍ਹੀ ਰੈਣਿ. ਦੇਖਉ ਗੁਰੁ ਅਪੁਨਾ; ਿਵਿਚ ਅਖੀ. ਗੁਰ ਪੈਰ ਧਰਾਈ॥) ਅੰਦਿਰ ਸਚਾ ਨੇਹੁ; ਲਾਇਆ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਮ ਆਪਣੈ॥ ਤਨੁ ਮਨੁ ਹੋਇ ਨਿਹਾਲੁ; ਜਾ ਗੁਰੁ ਦੇਖਾ ਸਾਮ੍ਹ੍ਹਣੇ॥ ਮਹਾਰਾਜ ਸਾਿਹਬ ਜੀ, ਿਦਲ ਿਦਮਾਗ਼ ’ਚ ਗੁਰਬਾਣੀ ਭੇਜਦੇ, ਸਭ ਦੇ ਰਿਦੇ ਚੋਂ ਮੂੰਹ’ਚ ਅੰਿਮ੍ਰਤ ਭੇਜਦੇ। ਸਾਰੇ ਅਜਪਾ- ਜਾਪ ’ਚ ਲੀਣ ਹੋ ਕੇ, ਮਹਾਂ ਮਹਾਂ ਿਵਸਮਾਦ ਹੋ ਜਾਂਦੇ। ਪ੍ਰੇਮੀ ਜੋ ਭੀ ਮਹਾਰਾਜ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਜੀ ਦੇ ਚਰਨ- ਕਮਲਾਂ ’ਚ ਪ੍ਰੇਮ- ਬੇਨਤੀ ਕਰਦੇ, ਿਮਠ ਬੋਲੜਾ ਜੀ; ਹਰਿ ਸਜਣੁ ਸੁਆਮੀ ਮੋਰਾ॥ ਮਹਾਰਾਜ ਸਾਿਹਬ ਜੀ ਬੜੇ ਹੀ ਿਪਆਰ ਨਾਲ ਖ਼ੂਬ ਿਮੱਠੇ ਕੋਮਲ ਉੱਤ੍ਰ ਦੇ ਕੇ ਤਿ੍ਰਪਤ ਕਰਦੇ। ਯਥਾ:- ਕੋਮਲ ਬਾਣੀ ਸਭ ਕਉ ਸੰਤੋਖੈ॥
- from p 394, Slok Bhagat Kabir ji, Bhagat Fareed ji pothi, written by Bhagat Jaswant Singh ji. Download pothi from http://gursevak.com/

please forgive the mistakes in transcribing.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login