ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

kirpan

Posted by Leafy 
kirpan
November 23, 2010 07:13PM
what should a person do when their kirpan falls out of the gatra and on to the ground? this has happened with me so many times and sometimes i did ardas and put it back on and then the rest of the times i either just put it back in my gatra without doing ardas or into my pocket. i tried to tighten it by stitching it up but it still fell out. is this kirpan falling out of the gatra suppose to mean something?
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: kirpan
November 23, 2010 07:58PM
Change your gatra to one that fits your kirpan size and holds it tighter. You should also do Ardas.
November 23, 2010 10:56PM
you should do a jap jee sahib daa paat and also do ardaas for forgivness

oddslot
November 24, 2010 09:56AM
Leafy
is this kirpan falling out of the gatra suppose to mean something?

Please don't take this as some type of sign that you are not supposed to be wearing Kirpan.

It's actually hard to find good and well fitting sturdy gatras for Kirpans, vast majority from India are totally shabby and poorly made. So have someone using sewing machine (manually by hand is not strong enough), sew up the gap where the Kirpan fits it so it just fits very tightly and securely. Also double up all the seams on the rest of the gatra to prevent ripping.

When ones kakkars are separated from body, one cannot eat or drink during that time, and at the time of replacement like mentioned in the above posts, Sri Jap Ji Sahib should be recited and Ardaas done to beg forgiveness.
November 24, 2010 11:09AM
Thank you Jaskirat Singh veer ji, I appreciate your advise and I am learning so much from the gursikhs on this forum. I will do as all you of have suggested. I didn't know that a sikh isn't supposed to eat or drink during the time a kakkar is separated prior to today.
November 24, 2010 08:29PM
hanji

even during flights

when the shree sahib is taken from us
gursikhs should keep sahaj

and not consume meals

home-made or airplane food
doesnt matter

once landed

do japjee sahib jaap and ardaas

pher chaknaa hai jee

as far as the gatra is concerned
yes, try and get a custom made one
ready made stuff is messed up these days
especially those new adjustable gatre
im very much against those
sewing is an art, we should practise
not rely on adjustable stuff ready made

vaheguroo
November 29, 2010 06:21PM
the only place i have seen this idea that a sikh shouldn't eat or drink when separated from the kakkars is on the damdami taksal rehet maryada. is it documented elsewhere?

what about those of us who live 18+ hour flights away from india? what if you have an overnight layover in between (and don't get to your luggage)? we're talking 30+ hours in some situations. is it really practical to starve and dehydrate yourself? does guru sahib really ask us to sacrifice our health over these situations (that we have no control over)? it seems to me that if you do ardaas with love, guru sahib is perfectly forgiving...
November 29, 2010 06:29PM
well ok sure in those situations we can do ardaas to guru jee and ask for forgiveness

and i know a lot of singhs that come from india and they haven't eaten in a loooong time and they are fine

this maryada is just to show ur prem for guru jee. how far you are willing to go for guru jee. if for health reasons you cant keep this maryada then sure go ahead and eat I'm sure guru sahib wont send you to hell smiling smiley

oddslot
November 29, 2010 07:02PM
The practice of not eating whilst being separated from kakkars is also very common amongst the Jatha. Many gursikhs that keep rehit do not eat during a flight regardless of how many hours it may take. Numerous Gursikhs fly from Canada to India and do not eat or drink during this period.

Bhai sahib Randhir Singh ji writes of numerous accounts in his book; Jail Chittian, where kakkars were taken off him and resulted Bhai sahib fasting for many days at a time. Bhai sahib writes on pg 216 that clothes including dastaaraa were forcibly removed and resulted Bhai sahib to fast for ten days. There are numerous accounts such as this one.

From reading Bhai sahib's books and doing sangat of gursikhs, this is what seems right to me personally. I guess, for different situations or health related reasons, water or food may be taken on personal accord.
November 29, 2010 07:36PM
when shaheed bhai fauja singh and other jatha singhs were in prison they were not allowed kirpaans (as documented by his visitors), yet he famously kept sarbloh bibek in prison, which would imply he was eating something during this time.

i know that bhai sahib randhir singh fasted until he got a dastaar (and until he got hair oil, etc), but i seem to remember there were specific prisons where he was not allowed his kirpaan at all- i don't think he fasted for the entire years he was there. i will have to re-read and find the applicable section.

regardless, it wasn't in the rehet given by panj piyaras when i took amrit, nor is it in the panthic rehet maryada, so i don't think it's a hard and fast rule.
November 30, 2010 09:13AM
i cannot do path properly if i am hungry and if i try to i feel like i am torturing myself and i don't enjoy it much as it lessens my concentration in prayer....prayer without concentration = God will not be pleased with me for it.
November 30, 2010 02:45PM

i cannot do path properly if i am hungry and if i try to i feel like i am torturing myself and i don't enjoy it much as it lessens my concentration in prayer....prayer without concentration = God will not be pleased with me for it.

makes sense. sikhi isn't about illogical rituals or self torture. it's about remembering god. smiling smiley some people find they remember god better if they deprive themselves. but i think that's an individual thing.
December 02, 2010 10:02AM
Bhenjeeeeeessssssss

We are talking about seperated kakkars here. How in the name of Sarabloh can we even think about food.
This isn't about taksaal or jatha. The fact remains that this isn't called torturing yourself. It is something gurmukhs
Are obligated to do as a result of seperation from a body part practically. I think as gursikhs we need to practise
Sahaj and not eat at these times. Of course medical conditions or a mother expecting a child should be excused.
Apart from that, I am against eating when separated from kakkars. Taksaal isn't wrong about everything. I want the
Opinion of singhs. Please enlighten this stubborn moorakh.

Vaheguroojeekaakhalsa Vaheguroojeekeefathehh
Daasraa
Tanvir Singh
December 02, 2010 10:25AM
1kaur bhenjee

u said
does guroo sahib ask us to sacrifice our health and well being ?

well, no, he would never say that

theres a lot of things a teacher will never ask students to do, yet dedicated students will always make the priority of putting their teacher first, out of respect and love. Gursikhs don't eat or drink in this scenario, due to this reason only, to show our dedication, love and respect.

We have been seperated from ther gifts of guroo sahib, the kakkars, they are taken from us in circumstances and we have to comply. A singh from this site only once told me, how his pita jee cried the whole way to india one time when they went, because his kirpaan wasn't allowed.

The choice is ultimately yours to make, of course.
There shouldnt be so much discussion on this in the first place.

My humble opinion and an ideal situation, it would seem, we'd be better off staying hungry, than to be satisfying our hunger while we are kakkar-less

vaheguroo jee baksh lehn
December 02, 2010 11:02AM

The choice is ultimately yours to make, of course.

that's exactly my point. it's not a codified rehet, so it's up to the individual. so go for it if that's what makes you happy. smiling smiley but there's no reason to tell others that they're not a gursikh if they don't follow it. there's so much judging of others on here lately. it's kind of disheartening.
December 02, 2010 12:51PM
Really it shudnt be much a problem. I myself had to hungry on the plane once for nearly 20 hrs! no water either! and it was all out of respect for Guru Ji and his Kakaar.

If an individual, however, feels it is not possible to stay hungry, well thats ur choice.

Personally, I think taking off Kirpaan is even much harder than not eating for several hours/days/weeks w/e the time span may be.

Just dont travel then. That'll be my advice to you. Prevents both situations; taking off Kirpaan, and having to stay hungry.

As Tanvir Singh exclaimed, this has nothing to do with any group. It has no affiliation what so ever with any body of individuals.

As a general thought, Daas finds it extremely difficult to imagine such a situation; having to stay Kirpaan-less for an x amount of time. Just how can a Gursikh do that? Impossible.

Don't travel. Simple.

Bhulan Chukan Di Khimaa

Waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fathe
December 02, 2010 01:04PM
I don't remember mentioning that somebody isn't a Gursikh for not doing it

I don't hold that right

Rest is upto to Satguroo Roppe Sat Sangat

Gur Bar Akaaaaalll
December 02, 2010 01:09PM
Tanvir Singh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Bhenjeeeeeessssssss
>
> We are talking about seperated kakkars here. How
> in the name of Sarabloh can we even think about
> food.
> This isn't about taksaal or jatha. The fact
> remains that this isn't called torturing yourself.
> It is something gurmukhs
> Are obligated to do as a result of seperation from
> a body part practically. I think as gursikhs we
> need to practise
> Sahaj and not eat at these times. Of course
> medical conditions or a mother expecting a child
> should be excused.
> Apart from that, I am against eating when
> separated from kakkars. Taksaal isn't wrong about
> everything. I want the
> Opinion of singhs. Please enlighten this stubborn
> moorakh.
>
> Vaheguroojeekaakhalsa Vaheguroojeekeefathehh
> Daasraa
> Tanvir Singh

OH THANKS

that someone agrees with me lol
December 02, 2010 01:11PM
There are rehats that say if one eats without dastar and Sri Sahib then they are apostates. For this reason its best to not eat if traveling on plane. There are some rare instances when Gurmukhs like Bhai Randhir Singh Ji, Bhai Fauja Singh Ji , etc could not keep this rehat while in jail. But such cases are rare overall we should make strong efforts to obey Guru Sahibs command instead of obeying the commands of our hungry stomachs.
December 02, 2010 08:32PM

Gursikhs don't eat or drink in this scenario

implies those who do are not gursikhs.

Just dont travel then. That'll be my advice to you. Prevents both situations; taking off Kirpaan, and having to stay hungry.

um, not really an option for those who have family in far away countries, or those who wish to walk in the footsteps of our gurus but aren't blessed to live in india.

i'll stick to the rehet panj piyaras gave me, no need to pick bits and pieces from the many conflicting maryadas out there. kudos to those who can manage to be so strict. smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login