ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sacha Sauda

Posted by HarminderKaur 
Sacha Sauda
November 11, 2010 12:40PM
At the age of 12, Guru Nanak Dev Ji taught the world what the true bargain is by feeding the saints and the poor without wanting anything in return. When Guru Ji’s father sent him to do some business, Guru Ji ran into some saints that had been hungry for days and he spent the money on feeding and clothing them. Upon returning from feeding the Saints, Guru Ji’s father asked him about what business he had done. Guru Ji’s reply was that he did ‘sacha sauda’ (true business), where he feed the hungry saints. This deed of helping those without expecting anything in return is something we teach our children every time we read this Sakhi to them. But how can we expect our children to learn from this sakhi, when we haven’t? What message do we send to our children when we give saropa for every little thing, want a plague for acknowledgment and bragging rights.

Sikhs honor good deeds with presenting a Saropa to the doer of the good deed. Did Guru Nanak Dev Ji receive a Saropa or something similar for serving the poor? No, Guru Nanak Dev Ji did not receive nor expect to be honored for doing seva. At the Gurudwara Sahib while through Kirtan and Sakhis we teach our children to do selfless service, we act out a completely different scene. At almost any Gurudwara Sahib you can see people being presented Saropas for even the smallest deeds. Some Gurudwara Sahib Ji’s will present anyone a saropa if they donate enough money, pay for Akand Path Sahib to be held, or just about anything that brings money into the Gurudwara Sahib. We show our children though we preach selfish service we truly practice boosting sangat’s ego and making them selfish for praise so we can encourage them to do more good deeds.

If it was not enough to get a saropa for even the smallest of deeds, the tradition of putting up plaques have began. Guru Nanak Dev Ji taught us that everything is Waheguru Ji’s by giving free food to the poor by saying ‘tera’, ‘tera’ (yours, yours). Today when we give anything we make sure to let the world know its ours. We put up signs saying who donated what. Lists are posted of the Sikhs that donated the most at some Gurudwara Sahibs. While we preach to our children that everything is Waheguru Ji’s, we ourselves show them we only preach, not believe.

The saropa, the plaque, we use everything as bragging rights to show off our good deeds. Where has humbleness gone? After doing the Sacha Sauda had Guru Ji gone home and bragged to his father about the ‘Sacha Sauda’ he had just done? No, then why do we make sure everyone is aware of our good deeds? This need for instant gratification from the world, has killed the long run benefits for the soul. Instead of marking it as a good deed for our soul, we mark it as a good deed on our tax write off. Sacha Sauda wasn’t about bragging, it was about selfless service and that is why we need to stop making everything about us.

Gurudwara Sahibs around the world have to stop putting emphasis on the people that do the deeds and instead put the emphasis back on the deed. No more saropas unless the person really did something that he couldn’t have easily done. Like when a person overlooks his business and helps others in need instead. Saropas should only be given when the service is truly extraordinary and selfless for the person receiving the Saropa. Plaques should not be put up period, everything is Waheguru Ji’s and it should remain that way. With the Gurudwara’s preaching and showing the real sacha sauda, the bragging will disappear on its own.

May Waheguru Ji bless Sikhs to partake only in Sacha Sauda.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Sacha Sauda
November 11, 2010 01:22PM
Vaheguru, a nice post from Bhain Jee.

ਸਚਾ ਸਉਦਾ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਹੈ ਸਚਾ ਵਾਪਾਰਾ ਰਾਮ ||
sachaa soudhaa har naam hai sachaa vaapaaraa raam |
The True merchandise is the Lord's Name. This is the true trade. Click for full shabad

In old times Siropa was only given for major seva or achievement by Gursikhs in the Guru Ghar, and at that time of bestowing Guru Jee would recite this Salok:

ਸਲੋਕ ਮਃ ੫ ||
salok ma 5 |
Shalok, Fifth Mehl:

ਪ੍ਰੇਮ ਪਟੋਲਾ ਤੈ ਸਹਿ ਦਿਤਾ ਢਕਣ ਕੂ ਪਤਿ ਮੇਰੀ ||
praem pattolaa thai sehi dhithaa takan koo path maeree |
O Husband Lord, You have given me the silk gown of Your Love to cover and protect my honor.

ਦਾਨਾ ਬੀਨਾ ਸਾਈ ਮੈਡਾ ਨਾਨਕ ਸਾਰ ਨ ਜਾਣਾ ਤੇਰੀ ||੧||
dhaanaa beenaa saaee maiddaa naanak saar n jaanaa thaeree |1|
You are all-wise and all-knowing, O my Master; Nanak: I have not appreciated Your value, Lord. ||1||

We have totally desecrated the fine tradition of bestowing of Siropa, and now it has become so ubiquitous that it is almost worthless.
November 11, 2010 07:07PM
Certainly show off is not desired, I agree. Totally agreed.

Just to explore; what are good points with this tradition? How the other religions behave in this aspect?
November 11, 2010 07:35PM
any famous person who goes to a gurdwara or harmandar sahib these days is given siropa

whether it be a bollywood actor or an international minister

i thought when bhai sahib was given these by the takhats, he got them because of his contributions to the panth ?

Just the other day, my mom told me that an actress called "Priya Chopra" recieved one because she attended a gurudwara sahib on Bandi Chor Diwas

Is this a reason to be giving out siropas ?

if she has come, let her feel part of sangat and not segregated

Veer Jaskirat Singh is absolutely right in saying.......that the misuse of this honor has led to it being worthless
November 12, 2010 10:51AM
Bhai MB Singh has brought up a good question, what are the good points of this tradition? I think to answer this it would be useful to know when the tradition started and why/how... and since I do not know, it would be good if someone could share the story of this.
November 15, 2010 07:54AM
From the wonderful saakhi of Bhai Bahlo Sabh to Pehlo:

"After the completion of the Sarovar and Siri Harmandir Sahib, a samagam was held to thank Vaheguru. Baba Buddha jee was the first one to receive siropa and honour from Guru Sahib. The second one after Baba jee to receive the Siropa was Bhai Bhagtu jee. He was blessed with many boons and the responsibility to do Parchaar of Sikhi in the area of Brars. Then came the turn of Bhai Bahlo jee. Guru Sahib first all blessed him with the title of “Bhai” and called him Bhai Bahlo. Bhai Bahlo jee’s original name was Bahlol but Guru Sahib changed it to Bahlo and also blessed him with the title of “Bhai”."

I don't know if this was the first instance that Guru Jee bestowed Siropa but this definitely means that Guru Jee started this tradition themselves. So, I don't think we should question what are good points/bad points of this. It is the highest award in Sikhi.
November 15, 2010 10:13PM
This is the highest honor in Sikhi and we should not question good points of this tradition but we should not allow people to cheapen this tradition by giving it for every little thing, especially money donations.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login