ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Friendship with a ghost...

Posted by Kulbir Singh 
A Sikh must use Bibek Budh in all matters of life. Bibek Budh is such Budh (intelligence) that recognizes and differentiates goodness and evil. So what is good and what is bad? Such action, thought or speech is good that brings us closer to Vaheguru and such action, thought or speech that takes us away from Vaheguru is bad. In simpler words, Bibek Budh is Gurmat which is opposite of Manmat.

One of the important part of Gurmat Bibek is to not have friendship with such persons who are Bemukh from Guru Sahib because friendship with them is detrimental to our spiritual health. In this Pauri below, Bhai Sahib Gurdaas jee has given several examples and metaphors to prove this point. Please ponder upon the following Pauri of Bhai Gurdaas jee:

ਭੇਡੈ ਪੂਛਲਿ ਲਗਿਆਂ ਕਿਉ ਪਾਰਿ ਲੰਘੀਐ॥
ਭੂਤੈ ਕੇਰੀ ਦੋਸਤੀ ਨਿਤ ਸਹਸਾ ਜੀਐ॥
ਨਦੀ ਕਿਨਾਰੈ ਰੁਖੜਾ ਵੇਸਾਹੁ ਨ ਕੀਐ॥
ਮਿਰਤਕ ਨਾਲਿ ਵੀਆਹੀਐ ਸੋਹਾਗੁ ਨ ਥੀਐ॥
ਵਿਸੁ ਹਲਾਹਲ ਬੀਜਿ ਕੈ ਕਿਉ ਅਮਿਉ ਲਹੀਐ॥
ਬੇਮੁਖ ਸੇਤੀ ਪਿਰਹੜੀ ਜਮ ਡੰਡੁ ਸਹੀਐ ॥7॥

1. How can one swim across by holding the tail of a lamb? Those who have had the good fortune of doing the duty of grazing cows and buffaloes know what Bhai Sahib is talking about. After grazing buffaloes for sometime, it’s common practice in India to take them to canals or creeks for bathing. While buffaloes enjoy swimming in a stream or canal, the Maahee (one who grazes buffaloes) too enjoys swimming in water. Most village folks learn swimming holding tails of buffaloes. This Daas too learned swimming this way. Buffalo is strong and can still swim if you hold her tail but can a lamb continue to swim when you hold its tail? The answer is no. Same way, by holding the arm of a Bemukh, one can never swim across this terrible ocean of world.

2. Ones who deal with ghosts and other such occult powers, many times die at their hands. Bhai Sahib is saying in this second Pankiti that if you make friends with a ghost, you can never get peace of mind. The mind will always be under stress. An interesting story comes to mind. Once a farmer unwittingly freed a genie and now the genie became indebted to the farmer and asked him for any work to do. The farmer asked the genie to plough his fields, get grass for the cattle etc. The genie completed these works in very little time and came back to the farmer for more work. The farmer gave some more tasks that the genie completed in no time. The genie threatened that if it does not get any task to do, it will kill the farmer. Now the farmer was very scared. This is the result of having friendship with ghosts and bhoots. Finally, the farmer’s wife came up with an idea. The farmer asked the genie to establish a pole in the front yard of the house. Then the farmer instructed the genie to keep climbing the pole over and over again. This way, he kept the genie busy and used it only when required. Rest of the time, he let the genie climb up and down the pole over and over again. The moral of the story is that the friendship of ghosts is never comfort giving.

3. A tree on the bank of a river cannot expect to live long and is under constant danger of getting uprooted by the current of the river.

4. If a woman gets married to a corpse, she cannot be called a Sohagan i.e. she cannot enjoy marital bliss.

5. If a person sows Halahal (a kind of poison), he should not expect to reap Amrit.

6. In the end, Bhai Sahib jee gives a very great Gurmat Updesh – by having loving relation (Pirhari) with a Bemukh (one who has turned his face away from the Guru) results in getting punished by Jammdoot.

May Guru Sahib give us the wisdom and chance to make friends with Gurmukhs and never give us company of such people who are outside of Guru Sahib’s Prema Bhagti.

Bhul Chuk di Maafi jee.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Friendship with a ghost...
June 24, 2010 12:47AM
good thoughts.

A true friend is the one who will jaap naam/banee and keep rehat at all costs. And also encourage and help you in sikhi
June 24, 2010 12:55AM

by having loving relation (Pirhari) with a Bemukh (one who has turned his face away from the Guru) results in getting punished by Jammdoot.

do you think this applies to friends/family who are not familiar with sikhi? can they be bemukh if one doesn't know about guru sahib in the first place?
1kaur Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> by having loving relation (Pirhari) with a Bemukh
> (one who has turned his face away from the Guru)
> results in getting punished by Jammdoot.
>
> do you think this applies to friends/family who
> are not familiar with sikhi? can they be bemukh
> if one doesn't know about guru sahib in the first
> place?

i found this really helpful in understanding..

Re: Differences in v/baimukh and manmukh?
December 17, 2009 06:45PM

The literal meaning of the word Manmukh is such person whose mukh i.e. face is towards the mind i.e. one who follows the mind is a Manmukh. Bemukh is such person who turns his mukh or face away from the Guru. One who disowns his Guru is a Bemukh. The closest English word I can think of is an Apostate. The literal meaning of Bemukh could also be such person who does not have a mukh i.e. face. "Be" in Farsi means "without" and Mukh means face. A person who does not have mukh is such person who has no respect. A person who becomes a bemukh also becomes without face i.e. he loses respect in this world and the next one.

Traditionally, Manmukh is such person who has not yet become a Gurmukh i.e. has not gotten initiated into Sikhi. On the other hand, Bemukh is such person who was once a Gurmukh but has turned away from the Guru. In Siri Anand Sahib, Guru Sahib has described the state of a Bemukh as follows:

ਜੇ ਕੋ ਗੁਰ ਤੇ ਵੇਮੁਖੁ ਹੋਵੈ ਬਿਨੁ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਮੁਕਤਿ ਨ ਪਾਵੈ ॥
ਪਾਵੈ ਮੁਕਤਿ ਨ ਹੋਰ ਥੈ ਕੋਈ ਪੁਛਹੁ ਬਿਬੇਕੀਆ ਜਾਏ ॥
ਅਨੇਕ ਜੂਨੀ ਭਰਮਿ ਆਵੈ ਵਿਣੁ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਮੁਕਤਿ ਨ ਪਾਏ ॥
ਫਿਰਿ ਮੁਕਤਿ ਪਾਏ ਲਾਗਿ ਚਰਣੀ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੂ ਸਬਦੁ ਸੁਣਾਏ ॥
ਕਹੈ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਵੀਚਾਰਿ ਦੇਖਹੁ ਵਿਣੁ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਮੁਕਤਿ ਨ ਪਾਏ ॥੨੨॥

Translation: If someone becomes Vemukh (turns away from the Guru) from Guru, such person can never attain salvation. You may go and ask wise people and they too will say the same thing i.e. one cannot get salvation from anywhere else. Such person wanders in many life forms but does not get emancipation without the true Guru. Then when he seeks refuge in the true Guru, the true Guru enables him to listen to the Shabda (i.e. Naam). Siri Guru jee using their Mohar (Nanak) asks us to think deeply that without the true Guru, one cannot get emancipation.

A person who becomes a Bemukh has to come back to the Guru and earn the true spiritual earnings of Naam. There is no other way out.

If we really think of it, a Bemukh is also a Manmukh because a person turns away from the true Guru only when he listens to his mind instead of Gurmat (Guru's teachings). So we can say that every Bemukh is also a Manmukh but every Manmukh is not necessarily a Bemukh. Now if we think more deeply, even us who are initiated Sikhs (Amritdhari) of Guru Sahib, are manmukhs up to some extent. A 100% Gurmukh is such person who follows 100% Gurmat i.e. is totally imbued in Naam. Such person is one with Vaheguru. Up until our minds are embroiled in Maya, we are Manmukh in proportion we are entangled in Maya.

Who is worse? It seems like a Bemukh is worse because he was once a Gurmukh but turned away from Guru Sahib. He gets heavier punishment than a Manmukh. Having said that, I think a Bemukh has a better chance at attaining salvation as compared to a Manmukh because since he once received the Gurmantra / Naam from Guru Sahib, it will definitely sprout one day. It may take time but a Bemukh is surely destined to be Mukat (emancipated) one day. Manmukh may wander till infinite time. The above stated pauri from Siri Anand Sahib too gives hope to Bemukhs by saying that they will become free when they come to the refuge of the true Guru.

As far as two kinds of spellings - Bemukh or Vemukh - are concerned, both are correct and have been used in Gurbani. Most common use is Vemukh but Bemukh too is used as is evident from two pankitis listed below.

ਸਾਕਤ ਨਰ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਨਹੀ ਕੀਆ ਤੇ ਬੇਮੁਖ ਹਰਿ ਭਰਮਾਵੈਗੋ ॥

ਜਨ ਕਾ ਰਾਖਾ ਆਪਿ ਸੁਆਮੀ ਬੇਮੁਖ ਕਉ ਆਇ ਪਹੂਚੀ ਮੀਚ ॥1॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥

Kulbir Singh
October 06, 2010 03:31AM
Waheguru

Thank you Kulbir Singh veer ji that was very enlightening.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login